Wimbledon 2011

redm

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply
shaun.lawson

Djokovic must be raging. 3 attempts and the racket still didn't smash!

He'll have to go a long way before matching his illustrious Balkan colleague. The day Goran Ivanisevic defaulted - because he'd run out of rackets to smash up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdzqW_7--1M&feature=related

:smashit:

Nice one, this set betting is great just won on Baghdatis at 11/10 to win 6-4 just after he broke Broke Novak.I'm not too brave though only had a fiver on it.Keeps it interesting though.

surprised that djokovic is being a dick. he should be miles above that.

he'll win this easily.

shaun.lawson

Meanwhile, an unwell Soderling has crashed out on Court 1. Which in theory, is good for Djokovic - but the way he's playing, anyone could end up in the semi from that quarter of the draw.

Ray Winstone

Meanwhile, an unwell Soderling has crashed out on Court 1. Which in theory, is good for Djokovic - but the way he's playing, anyone could end up in the semi from that quarter of the draw.

Shame for Soderling.

One of these guys who must be wondering what he could have done if it was not for the emergence of Nadal, Federer and Djokovic in the same era.

shaun.lawson

Shame for Soderling.

One of these guys who must be wondering what he could have done if it was not for the emergence of Nadal, Federer and Djokovic in the same era.

Maybe. He's just solid, though: hasn't got that magic which separates the greats from the merely exceptional. What I can't understand, though, is how his clay court record is so much better than his grasscourt one: with his build, his serve and his game, that makes no sense at all!

murray is miles better than soderling. and murray has miles to go before he can claim to be as good as the other 3. it must be a bit depressing for players right now.

shaun.lawson

murray is miles better than soderling. and murray has miles to go before he can claim to be as good as the other 3. it must be a bit depressing for players right now.

Depressing - but the colossal respect they all have for Nadal and Federer is obvious. The best competitors on the tour enjoy the challenge of the bar being set so high; but in any era, the very good players had to hope for an upset ridden Slam or to catch lightning in a bottle for a few days in order to snaffle one.

I used to assume tennis would go through a more fallow era when Federer got too old - but the thing is, the standard just gets higher and higher every single year. Who's to say there won't soon be another Federer, or another Nadal?

Depressing - but the colossal respect they all have for Nadal and Federer is obvious. The best competitors on the tour enjoy the challenge of the bar being set so high; but in any era, the very good players had to hope for an upset ridden Slam or to catch lightning in a bottle for a few days in order to snaffle one.

I used to assume tennis would go through a more fallow era when Federer got too old - but the thing is, the standard just gets higher and higher every single year. Who's to say there won't soon be another Federer, or another Nadal?

good point. the standard is incredible right now. the natural assumption is that there has to be a more open era but you're right, there might just be another behemoth that comes up and dominates in the same way. whether they are even better than federer or by way of a relative dominance.

it's not too late for murray to become the dominant force if nadal has fitness problems.

Ray Winstone

The strenght of the men's game at the moment only goes to highlights the lack of quality in the women's game.

Although more competitive, there is a lack of real quality in the LTA at the moment.

With the ages of Nadal, Djokovic and Murray, even if Federer retired at the end of this season - what chance do the others have?

shaun.lawson

The strenght of the men's game at the moment only goes to highlights the lack of quality in the women's game.

Although more competitive, there is a lack of real quality in the LTA at the moment.

With the ages of Nadal, Djokovic and Murray, even if Federer retired at the end of this season - what chance do the others have?

Other than Del Potro, who certainly has more Grand Slams in him, not much. But new prodigies will emerge: they always do, and Murray's one of the players who'll need to look out if he hasn't broken through and got that Sisyphean boulder off his shoulder by the end of this year.

Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic?

Based on what I've seen...

Fed for the title.

The winner of Nadal/Del Potro for runners up.

And if Murray isn't fully switched on? Then his tournament is ended by Gasquet.

Unless, of course, Gasquet implodes when in a winning position. :)

I P Knightley

Based on what I've seen...

Fed for the title.

The winner of Nadal/Del Potro for runners up.

And if Murray isn't fully switched on? Then his tournament is ended by Gasquet.

Unless, of course, Gasquet implodes when in a winning position. :)

This is Gasquet's first serious challenge of the tourney. Whilst Murray's been a bit erratic or complacent in the first week, he knows he has to raise his game and, if he does so, he'll easily be too much for Gasquet.

Gasquet, though, is a joy to watch (particularly his backhand) so I won't be at all upset if it goes to 4 or 5 sets.

Nadal v Del Potro is another intriguing one. What are the odds just now on Delpo winning the tourney?

This is Gasquet's first serious challenge of the tourney. Whilst Murray's been a bit erratic or complacent in the first week, he knows he has to raise his game and, if he does so, he'll easily be too much for Gasquet.

Gasquet, though, is a joy to watch (particularly his backhand) so I won't be at all upset if it goes to 4 or 5

sets.

Nadal v Del Potro is another intriguing one. What are the

odds just now on Delpo winning the tourney?

Del Potro 28/1 for the title,Federer 15/8 fav

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Gasquet, though, is a joy to watch (particularly his backhand) so I won't be at all upset if it goes to 4 or 5 sets.

Nadal v Del Potro is another intriguing one. What are the odds just now on Delpo winning the tourney?

Agree with all of this. If Murray turns up he wins easily.

Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic?

Agree with all of this. If Murray turns up he wins easily.

Normally I'd agree if it weren't him playing someone who could be called mercurial...

She'll be dining out on that for the rest of her life. She's gone to pieces, and won't get anywhere near winning another Slam.

Carl is essentially right, especially considering Sharapova really isn't that hot. Ivanovic, Kournikova and Sabatini - the hotties of their particular eras - have a grand total of just two Grand Slams between them (Kournikova didn't even win a WTA tournament!), and all three are and were chronic under-achievers. All three clearly lacked confidence on court: remarkable given how they look, but looks aren't everything.

Kirilenko's only a top 20 player at best, so knows that maximising publicity around her looks is the best way to keep her profile high. Pironkova and Cibulkova might both go on to do something, though. But if you ask me, the only dominant female tennis player who was also hot was Chris Evert: whose image was that of a girl next door, goody two shoes type, while simultaneously being a quite staggering man eater. :ninja:

PS. Maria Bueno was quite something too, to be fair.

4MSvT.gif

Murray v Gasquet due on court at 1pm, so probably a 1:10pm start.

Murray is going to have to be at it, and will have to play a stormer to win if Gasquet is at his best.

Should be a cracker.

:thumbsup:

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Murray v Gasquet due on court at 1pm, so probably a 1:10pm start.

Murray is going to have to be at it, and will have to play a stormer to win if Gasquet is at his best.

Should be a cracker.

On the flip side if Murray is at his best Gasquet doesn't have a chance.

I P Knightley

What a difference the heat makes. The ball seems to be flying a whole lot quicker and Murray's managed to land a serve at 134 mph.

No surprise that the coke fiend is holding his own so far, though I suspect that Murray will have the edge on him for fitness. If this set goes to a tie-breaker, I'd fancy Gasquet for it; his service points seem to be more decisive whilst Murray seems to surprise himself when he gets a first in.

I P Knightley

Poor shot choice from Murray at 40-30, there; running round a wide shot to the backhand side and playing across a wide open court to the backhand of the player with possibly the best backhand in the game.

I P Knightley

. If this set goes to a tie-breaker, I'd fancy Gasquet for it; his service points seem to be more decisive whilst Murray seems to surprise himself when he gets a first in.

OK, I seem to be ploughing a lonely furrow with the tennis chat but you can't argue that it hasn't been effective thus far.

Murray seems to have an odd chameleon tendency where in the first set he plays the same style as his opponent, and then he starts playing his own game.

Say What Again

Great time to break.

Serving for 2-0 now.

Looking very like he'll be facing a 29 year old Polish qualifier in the quarter final. He couldn't have asked for better than that.

I P Knightley

Great time to break.

Serving for 2-0 now.

Looking very like he'll be facing a 29 year old Polish qualifier in the quarter final. He couldn't have asked for better than that.

Hopefully it's too soon to call on that one. Klubot took the first set but the second's heading towards a tie-breaker and I really wouldn't rule Deliciano (so-called by none other than Judy Murray!) Lopez out. Hopefully it goes well beyond 3 sets, though. Murray's 2-0 up and really ought to see off Gasquet now; his games come right on in the second set.

Meanwhile, over in the Women's sideshow, it looks like Serena Williams may be getting her arse handed to her by another player whose name is an anagram of "Oi... Blart!"

edit "handed" is maybe the wrong verb to describe how that particular arse would be handled. "Delivered using heavy equiment" may be better.

Say What Again

Hopefully it's too soon to call on that one. Klubot took the first set but the second's heading towards a tie-breaker

AH, I didn't realise that, IP. I thought I'd heard them say he 2 up.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Brilliant from Murray.

A nice wee straight set win is just the ticket. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I P Knightley

AH, I didn't realise that, IP. I thought I'd heard them say he 2 up.

He is now. Maybe your internet is quicker than mine or the time difference between London and Edinburgh gets you the information quicker :)

Still hoping that Lopez makes a fist of it for another 3 sets and that whoever comes out of it to play Murray is cream crackered. Looks like there may be showers over London in the next hour or so - a rain delay overnight would suit equally well.

Not that I don't believe that Murray could take either of them with ease, you understand...

Good win that.

The tennis can be a bit boring these days up until almost as far as the semi finals.

It's pretty much a precession for the top 4.

:blink:

I P Knightley

Just watched the second half of Kubot v Lopez's 3rd set. Neither of them looks entirely convincing and Lopez has taken the set in a tie break ensuring that they'll each have at least another 40 minutes of wearing each other out playing mediocre tennis.

Good stuff all round from Murray's perspective.

Pironkova's a strange one. I'm torn on hot or not.

Definately hot when done up a bit (see a few pages back)

Ray Winstone

Pironkova's a strange one. I'm torn on hot or not.

Definite potential.

She didn't look like a mess in her post match interview.

She gets the Dunks seal of approval.

Ryan Gosling

Definately hot when done up a bit (see a few pages back)

She definitely suits the specs.

Definite potential.

She didn't look like a mess in her post match interview.

She gets the Dunks seal of approval.

I can't disagree with you both here. Our opinions are so similar, we should form some sort of clique.

I can't disagree with you both here. Our opinions are so similar, we should form some sort of clique.

:interesting:

Ray Winstone

She definitely suits the specs.

I have heard rumours that one already exists.

We could ask to join that?

We need to PM Captain Scarlet's Colonoscopy or something.

I P Knightley

oh hi pironkova

tsvetana_pironkova_with_glasses.jpg

Post quoted only as a service to the people of JKB.

I hope this settles the "hot or not" discussion.

Meanwhile in the proper competition, Lopez has just taken the match for the right to play Murray into a fifth set with a quite glorious backhand pass against Doug's plumber.

Ray Winstone

The Women's draw just got better looking without:

DD.jpg

and...

Venus_Williams.jpg

Even air-brushing doesn't make it any better.

Say What Again

Hopefully it's too soon to call on that one. Klubot took the first set but the second's heading towards a tie-breaker and I really wouldn't rule Deliciano (so-called by none other than Judy Murray!) Lopez out. Hopefully it goes well beyond 3 sets, though.

Well called, sir.

Lopez comes from 2 sets down to win 3-6 6-7 7-6 7-5 7-5.

He saved 2 match points in the 3rd set tie-breaker.

Archived