Wimbledon 2011

redm

Murray to crash and burn early doors this year it seems. They should just move Wimbledon to Queens, he's good there.

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply
RoussetsShorts

She doesn't have sunglasses on now and doesn't appear to have any spots :)

I'm sorry, I just hate the entire murray camp, how can him, his ma and his burd be so bloody dour faced 24/7. Millions in the bank, travel round the world, drives an Aston Martin yet still utterly miserable. I really hate people who just don't realise how good they have it. Oh and did I mention they all got matchin Ivan sproule tats at Miami ink? Awful.

I really pray he goes out here and does a Charlie sheen,

Tommy Wiseau

Gimeno-Traver's basically played the perfect match so far. I can't see him keeping this level up for an entire five set match - but well, who knows?

Memo to Andy:

1. Tell Mum to GTF.

2. Lose the green flash, and replace it with maroon, pronto.

And don't come crying to the rest of us if you don't do the above... :thumbsup:

The lad is playing out his skin, but Murray continually lets players like this into matches because he's prone to being slack. Tonight his balls are not going deep enough into court and are bouncing too high. Give any top 100 tour player that kind of delivery over the net and you'll get punished.

shaun.lawson

EXCITED!

:)

Almost always in these situations, the established player weathers the storm, levels it up in sets, then draws away to win comfortably enough in four. Murray's rattled though: no doubt about it.

He needs to get in and attack more, he's playing such a restricted, static and nervy sort of game from the baseline. Attack, attack, attack Andy.

Although in saying that, credit to Gimeno-Travers....he's playing some pretty good stuff.

shaun.lawson

The lad is playing out his skin, but Murray continually lets players like this into matches because he's prone to being slack. Tonight his balls are not going deep enough into court and are bouncing too high. Give any top 100 tour player that kind of delivery over the net and you'll get punished.

Agreed. He's just won Queen's - but again I look at Murray's lack of brutal weapons, softish second serve and tendency towards passivity, and see real grasscourt weaknesses which the best players will exploit.

RoussetsShorts

Agreed. He's just won Queen's - but again I look at Murray's lack of brutal weapons and tendency towards passivity, and see real grasscourt weaknesses which the best players will exploit.

Are you an LTA advisor?

Tommy Wiseau

Agreed. He's just won Queen's - but again I look at Murray's lack of brutal weapons and tendency towards passivity, and see real grasscourt weaknesses which the best players will exploit.

It drives me nuts that he fecking always have to find himself under pressure to perform. How many times does he start matches badly before getting it together - being broken early, losing an opening set etc? Ridiculous from a top 4 player in a slam.

Bazooka.gif

EXCITED!

:verysmug:

The Hibs rasper's time will come, if not today it will come in advance of the trophies being handed out. thumbsup.gif

The Hibs rasper's time will come, if not today it will come in advance of the trophies being handed out. thumbsup.gif

blah.gif

shaun.lawson

It drives me nuts that he fecking always have to find himself under pressure to perform. How many times does he start matches badly before getting it together - being broken early, losing an opening set etc? Ridiculous from a top 4 player in a slam.

But not at all ridiculous from a top 4 player in his home Grand Slam - which also happens to be the biggest Grand Slam, which hasn't been won by one of his compatriots in 75 years.

No player anywhere is under remotely similar pressure as Andy Murray is at Wimbledon every year. Countless top, Slam-winning players couldn't handle their home Grand Slam at all; and in Murray's case, you can multiply what they had to cope with by at least a hundred. I think it stifles him - but I also think it'd stifle anyone.

shaun.lawson

EXCITED!

Bazooka.gif

blah.gif

:)

I'm sorry, I just hate the entire murray camp, how can him, his ma and his burd be so bloody dour faced 24/7. Millions in the bank, travel round the world, drives an Aston Martin yet still utterly miserable. I really hate people who just don't realise how good they have it. Oh and did I mention they all got matchin Ivan sproule tats at Miami ink? Awful.

I really pray he goes out here and does a Charlie sheen,

I'm surprised nobody has picked you up on this! :lol:

Now that's more like it!

Getting a bit of confidence back.... now to hold....

(We need a fingers crossed smilie)

But not at all ridiculous from a top 4 player in his home Grand Slam - which also happens to be the biggest Grand Slam, which hasn't been won by one of his compatriots in 75 years.

No player anywhere is under remotely similar pressure as Andy Murray is at Wimbledon every year. Countless top, Slam-winning players couldn't handle their home Grand Slam at all; and in Murray's case, you can multiply what they had to cope with by at least a hundred. I think it stifles him - but I also think it'd stifle anyone.

It's the English way. Unfortunately, this overbearing mentality doesn't stop at Wembley Way.

shaun.lawson

It's the English way. Unfortunately, this overbearing mentality doesn't stop at Wembley Way.

I'm rather unpersuaded that the Scottish media are known for calm, reasonable coverage and dampening down of expectations, big man. Both England and Scotland have a tabloid press which is a bleedin' embarrasment; and the British public don't even love Murray, never mind expect him to deliver.

In fact, it's worse for Murray than Henman in a sense. Henman had to deal with the same insane "win Wimbledon or else" demands; but at least he had the Wimbledon crowd on his side. Murray doesn't even have that really. He has a public which'll jump on any perceived failure, but has never really warmed to him, and probably never will. I think Murray's all too aware of this, and no question it affects him at times.

But then, you're probably just whoosing me anyway. :)

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

This guy has totally chucked it. Shame because he was brilliant 1st set.

I'm rather unpersuaded that the Scottish media are known for calm, reasonable coverage and dampening down of expectations, big man. Both England and Scotland have a tabloid press which is a bleedin' embarrasment; and the British public don't even love Murray, never mind expect him to deliver.

But then, you're probably just whoosing me anyway. :)

Not "whoosh"ing you, just yanking your chain a little. thumbsup.gif

Having said that, if Scots were considered to be amongst the best in a sport, we'd love it for a bit then get bored quickly. Or, if we were top of the world once, then lost it, let's face it, we'd blame ourselves and probably say we were not that good in the first place and to get real.

the British public don't even love Murray

smugqq.png

shaun.lawson

Not "whoosh"ing you, just yanking your chain a little. thumbsup.gif

Having said that, if Scots were considered to be amongst the best in a sport, we'd love it for a bit then get bored quickly. Or, if we were top of the world once, then lost it, let's face it, we'd blame ourselves and probably say we were not that good in the first place and to get real.

smugqq.png

:D

The only recent example I can think of involving a Scottish team being top of the world was in women's curling - which soon returned to obscurity. But yes: you've nailed the difference between the English and the Scots. The Scots are frequently too self-flagellating; the English flail around looking for reasons about lost power or whatever, but rather than adjust our expectations and attitudes accordingly, just look for a whole bunch of scapegoats instead. Exhibit A: me and Capello. :o

The Mighty Thor

just turned on and have to say it looks tremendous under the roof and lights.

Murray-mania in full flow already??

just turned on and have to say it looks tremendous under the roof and lights.

Murray-mania in full flow already??

Looks good but sounds a bit weird.

Speaking of roofs and lights, does having the roof mean that they'll play considerably later now in order to finish matches?

I can't remember what they did last year.... huh.gif

shaun.lawson

Looks good but sounds a bit weird.

Speaking of roofs and lights, does having the roof mean that they'll play later now in order to finish matches?

I can't remember what they did last year.... huh.gif

It does. Two years ago, Murray-Wawrinka went on til, what, 10.30/10.40pm or so?

It does. Two years ago, Murray-Wawrinka went on til, what, 10.30/10.40pm or so?

Did it? I would have watched that too. unsure.gif

My memory is terrible. Brain is falling apart Shaun.

shaun.lawson

Did it? I would have watched that too. unsure.gif

My memory is terrible. Brain is falling apart Shaun.

Sure did:

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/50356-wimbledon-2009-thread/page__st__560__p__1060025__hl__basket__fromsearch__1#entry1060025

Anyway, what was at one point decidedly dicey ended up being a cakewalk. Weird. But he's through, and it's a good way for him to ease himself into the tournament.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Sure did:

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/50356-wimbledon-2009-thread/page__st__560__p__1060025__hl__basket__fromsearch__1#entry1060025

Anyway, what was at one point decidedly dicey ended up being a cakewalk. Weird. But he's through, and it's a good way for him to ease himself into the tournament.

So did you put the word 'basket' in Redm's dossier?

:cornette:

shaun.lawson

So did you put the word 'basket' in Redm's dossier?

:cornette:

:Agree:

The Lawssier remembered the exact term she used: "stubborn wee basket". :o

Sure did:

http://www.hmfckickb..._1#entry1060025

:laugh:

See? Hopeless.

Easy shift in the end but he really needs to quit this first set freak out nonsense. You can't get away with that sort of thing against the top players.

Hopefully it was enough of a wee fright there to get his head straightened out for the rest of the tournament. Doubt it though....

I P Knightley

Ah the massive sunglasses trick. Always used by burds wi rank plooky faces.

See my earlier comments: the big shades go with the big hair to create cover for her Judy-Murray-Lookey-Likey features.

Are you an LTA advisor?

An LTA talent advisor would have said something along the lines of "winning isn't everything" - a genuine quote from one of the LTA's talent scouts when assessing a youngster in these parts who, this year, has won 4 junior open tournaments & lost the final of the other two he was in. Funnily, though, Roger Draper's son had no such trouble passing the same assessment. That's Roger Draper, the man who, as CEO, has taken well over ?2million out of British tennis in return for bringing the game forward in leaps and bounds in the last 5 years.

"LTA" is practically an anagram of "FIFA"... grrr!

Tommy Wiseau

:Agree:

The Lawssier remembered the exact term she used: "stubborn wee basket". :o

:stare:

Lawson that is a little disturbing tbh.

shaun.lawson

:stare:

Lawson that is a little disturbing tbh.

I can't help having my memory! An elephant never forgets. :mellow:

To give you a further example - both of my memory and of my eternal, unmitigated sadness - for no apparent reason, I just googled "Kasparov-Short 1993", to see if there were any videos on YouTube. And I remembered the exact words our Nigel said to Carol Vorderman after his one and only victory in the match.

Now happily watching a preview of the contest - Game 19 of which I watched at the Savoy in London - and again, saying the exact things the two protagonists came out with before they say it on the footage. It's scary. I should've been an FBI agent or something. :unsure:

Tommy Wiseau

I can't help having my memory! An elephant never forgets. :mellow:

To give you a further example - both of my memory and of my eternal, unmitigated sadness - for no apparent reason, I just googled "Kasparov-Short 1993", to see if there were any videos on YouTube. And I remembered the exact words our Nigel said to Carol Vorderman after his one and only victory in the match.

Now happily watching a preview of the contest - Game 19 of which I watched at the Savoy in London - and again, saying the exact things the two protagonists came out with before they say it on the footage. It's scary. I should've been an FBI agent or something. :unsure:

Nae bother Rain Man, only ten minutes to Judge Wapner. :thumbsup:

And I remembered the exact words our Nigel said to Carol Vorderman after his one and only victory in the match.

Were they something like..."oh my god, you're a gggggirl!" (before he shot his bolt in his knicks)?

I P Knightley

How long does the tennis last? Need to know how long to dodge BBC1 & 2 forcool.gif

2 options for you:

You could try looking at "TV listings" which are available in many formats and tell you the running order of shows being broadcast at different times of the day; sometimes for up to a week in advance.

Or; you could watch the front page of The Shed on JKB. When Wimbledon is over, this thread is likely to drop off the front page, so its absence would signal that the tennis is no longer being broadcast on BBC and BBC2.

I'd go for the former. If you rely on the latter, you may find that the thread is perpetuated by some really rather humorous people with no interest in tennis coming on to place pointless posts.

Archived