Wimbledon 2011

redm

:lol:

Honest to God - the moment Murray played that shot, I thought: "Picard'll be posting an :arry: in response to that".

But yes.

:arry:

Stick that in your lawssier

:laugh:

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply
shaun.lawson

I watched the latter part of the first set, concluded that Ljubicic might conceivably win a set, but hardly the match, so lost interest. Murray in no more than four.

Never in doubt. :smuggy:

he should beat gasquet but he doesn't look like he will get past the QF at this rate. maybe he'll really step it up and get to the semi, then he's going to have to hope for a shock and not play nadal. he has no chance against nadal.

shaun.lawson

he should beat gasquet but he doesn't look like he will get past the QF at this rate. maybe he'll really step it up and get to the semi, then he's going to have to hope for a shock and not play nadal. he has no chance against nadal.

He has to hope JMDP or Berdych produce something extraordinary against Nadal: and Muller made Nadal look human earlier, so it's possible, though highly unlikely.

Gasquet's had a tremendous tournament so far - but like you, I think Murray will beat him for some reason. The trouble is, I don't think Murray will beat Monfils if they meet in the quarters. :mellow:

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Nadal had a bad slip earlier and had the trainer on for his dodgy knee so you never know ...

shaun.lawson

8/10 for the week you say Murray? :smuggy: In my expert opinion it was more like a 6.

8/10 is ******* ridiculous. Federer 10, Nadal 9, Djokovic 9, Berdych, Gasquet, Monfils, all 8.

Murray: can only agree with your expert opinion Picard.

He has to hope JMDP or Berdych produce something extraordinary against Nadal: and Muller made Nadal look human earlier, so it's possible, though highly unlikely.

Gasquet's had a tremendous tournament so far - but like you, I think Murray will beat him for some reason. The trouble is, I don't think Murray will beat Monfils if they meet in the quarters. :mellow:

well i suppose from now on he'll be up against form players. none of them can reach the 16s without playing well. he'll now have to win games by producing better and better tennis, instead of simply being up against inferior opposition. maybe that will focus his mind to the task.

shaun.lawson

well i suppose from now on he'll be up against form players. none of them can reach the 16s without playing well. he'll now have to win games by producing better and better tennis, instead of simply being up against inferior opposition. maybe that will focus his mind to the task.

As ever where the second week of Wimbledon is concerned, the tournament starts here. But prospective Champions cruise through their fourth round and quarter-final, barely dropping serve, never mind a set; Murray, just like Henman, seems incapable of winning these sorts of matches at SW19 without putting himself and everyone else through an ordeal first. And that'll catch up with him in the end.

As ever where the second week of Wimbledon is concerned, the tournament starts here. But prospective Champions cruise through their fourth round and quarter-final, barely dropping serve, never mind a set; Murray, just like Henman, seems incapable of winning these sorts of matches at SW19 without putting himself and everyone else through an ordeal first. And that'll catch up with him in the end.

Thats my money on the boy from dunblane then.

yep.

i saw him interviewed. he seems quite happy with the way he's playing but knows he has to improve the serve. as always that's the cornerstone of murray's game. when he's serving well he's invariably all over his opponent like a cheap aftershave.

It would be quite nice if Murrays mum didn't have a face like she was sucking lemons every time she's on camera

Harry Palmer

oh hi pironkova

tsvetana_pironkova_with_glasses.jpg

:jjyay:

Picard.

That is amazing.

Women with specs are hot. :)

Also what Iron said.... keep the camera away from her...

8/10 is ******* ridiculous. Federer 10, Nadal 9, Djokovic 9, Berdych, Gasquet, Monfils, all 8.

Murray: can only agree with your expert opinion Picard.

Away you go. You only need to win. Which he has done.

Remember he is the scalp they all want. When you play Murray at Wimbledon, you are guaranteed Centre Court, and live TV time. It's like a cup final for his opponents.

8/10 is fair. He has played fairly well, and done the job.

Sharapova 4/1 favourite to win the womens title.Much better odds kicking about the womens game for bets.Not really sure Sharapova has it in her to win it again but it just shows how open it is.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Either of the Williams sisters winning this year would confirm definitively that women's tennis is shite

Carl Spackler

Tidies don't win major tennis tournaments. Sharapova is the exception that proves the rule.

I await the evidence to disprove this theory.

Tidies don't win major tennis tournaments. Sharapova is the exception that proves the rule.

ana4.jpg

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Who's that and what is she winning?

Seriously? There are about 10 photos of her in this thread alone.

Ana Ivanovic and the French Open.

Carl Spackler

Ana Ivanovic, winning the French Open in 2008.

OK, that's accepted. My hypothesis isn't 100% sound.

Carl Spackler

Seriously? There are about 10 photos of her in this thread alone.

Ana Ivanovic and the French Open.

Haven't read the whole thread! Honestly had no idea who she was before though.

shaun.lawson

ana4.jpg

Who's that and what is she winning?

Ana Ivanovic, winning the French Open in 2008.

She'll be dining out on that for the rest of her life. She's gone to pieces, and won't get anywhere near winning another Slam.

Carl is essentially right, especially considering Sharapova really isn't that hot. Ivanovic, Kournikova and Sabatini - the hotties of their particular eras - have a grand total of just two Grand Slams between them (Kournikova didn't even win a WTA tournament!), and all three are and were chronic under-achievers. All three clearly lacked confidence on court: remarkable given how they look, but looks aren't everything.

Kirilenko's only a top 20 player at best, so knows that maximising publicity around her looks is the best way to keep her profile high. Pironkova and Cibulkova might both go on to do something, though. But if you ask me, the only dominant female tennis player who was also hot was Chris Evert: whose image was that of a girl next door, goody two shoes type, while simultaneously being a quite staggering man eater. :ninja:

PS. Maria Bueno was quite something too, to be fair.

shaun.lawson

Mofils out, good for Murray.

Yep. First Lawson prediction to really bite me in the arse too. :vrface: It won't be the last either.

So now, Murray v Gasquet is a virtual quarter-final. Should be a good 'un. :thumbsup:

shaun.lawson

Djokovic rocking a bit on Centre at the moment. Not only is he flat - but he looks knackered. All those wins catching up with him a bit?

Dik Mar Van Nostrilboy

Anybody But Murray. C'mon Rafa! The guy oozes class, andys just a wee greetin faced yank sounding fud!

shaun.lawson

Anybody But Murray. C'mon Rafa! The guy oozes class, andys just a wee greetin faced yank sounding fud!

Is there anyone in the world who doesn't like Rafa? I can't remember a dominant Champion ever being so popular, especially amongst British fans. He's an absolute dream for tennis.

Ominously for him though, so far, Federer's looked his best for a number of years. At present, the tournament seems to be heading inexorably towards yet another showdown between the two all time greats - but this time, Federer might have Nadal's number.

Ray Winstone

Djokovic has money on Baghdatis to take the second set.

Nap.

Archived