Wimbledon 2011

redm

shaun.lawson

I've never seen Djokovic play tennis like this before, he's been unplayable so far, but Nadal having the break in the 3rd set could make it very interesting.

Come on Nadal!! :thumbsup:

Becker's pre-match prediction, Djokovic if it lasts less than 3 hours, Nadal if it lasts more than 3 hours, looks very, very prescient right now.

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply
vegas-voss

I think it shows that to beat Nadal, you have to play tennis from another planet. JMDP did that throughout the '09 US Open, and Djokovic has done that in this final. But if your level drops at all, Nadal's right back in there, which is in itself terrifying.

Yeah it's like the guy just smells the fear and tears you to shreds from then on in.

shaun.lawson

One thing I wish Nadal wouldn't sniff his fingers after fixing his pants :boak:

C'mon, it's Nadal. Even his sweat probably smells of perfume. :)

The Old Tolbooth

Becker's pre-match prediction, Djokovic if it lasts less than 3 hours, Nadal if it lasts more than 3 hours, looks very, very prescient right now.

Yes it does, what a top shout from Boris that could turn out to be. :thumbsup:

One thing I wish Nadal wouldn't sniff his fingers after fixing his pants :boak:

:rofl:

:bitgay:

vegas-voss

What a crazy game tennis is.You just wouldnt bet against Nadal now.It's not even that Nadal is playing much different it's just Novak has went to pot.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Not the sweat from his ass crack though.

shaun.lawson

What a crazy game tennis is.You just wouldnt bet against Nadal now.It's not even that Nadal is playing much different it's just Novak has went to pot.

I know - it's nuts! Can Nole raise it for one more set now? He has to - because if it goes all the way against Nadal of all people, he's toast IMO.

vegas-voss

Wow I did not see that break coming I honestly thought Nadal had begun to win the mind games but that was a poor service game.Great play by Novak for the last point though.

shaun.lawson

That is outrageous! What a turning point that will probably be.

Nadal's had four net cords in this match now; Djokovic has had none at all. :down:

vegas-voss

What a grinder Nadal is.I really don't think anything has changed from Nadal in this match but he just keeps plugging away and eventually he knows the opponent will start to falter.

That love-for game could be huge for Djokovic's confidence, especially if a tie breaker comes up. He needs to make Nadal really work for this set - but doesn't necessarily have to win it - and he can have the momentum behind him once again.

Sorry, meant to say "game". Not "set". But now if he throws away this potential break the momentum is all back with Nadal.

What a match!

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

Interesting draw - but not really what Murray was looking for. Yet again, he's in Nadal's half: this keeps happening at Grand Slam after Grand Slam, and the odds against it must be seriously substantial. He also has the unpleasant prospects lurking of Cilic in round 3, and Warwinka or Gasquet in round 4: two of these players have beaten him in Slams, all three have pushed him to the limit.

Nadal, though, has the one nobody wanted: Del Potro in round 4, followed by the always dangerous (though completely off his game over the past year), Berdych in the quarters. To put that into perspective, if Murray had landed those two (especially JMDP), we'd all be panicking. Despite his return to form at the French, I think Federer is ripe to be upset at Wimbledon; and I like Djokovic's draw a lot. In spite of his unbelievable record this year, he can ease through the tournament under the radar: all the media and public attention will be on the other three.

Predictions:

Semi-Finals:

Nadal v Murray

Tsonga v Djokovic

Final:

Nadal v Djokovic

Champion:

Nadal

Rubbish. Do you know anything?

:lol:

shaun.lawson

Predictions:

Semi-Finals:

Nadal v Murray

Tsonga v Djokovic

Final:

Nadal v Djokovic

Champion:

Nadal

:seething::wtfvlad::trippin:

FFS Lawson, call yourself a kiddy on pundit? Couldn't tip rubbish; couldn't tip a waiter. :vrface:

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

:seething::wtfvlad::trippin:

FFS Lawson, call yourself a kiddy on pundit? Couldn't tip rubbish; couldn't tip a waiter. :vrface:

Sigh, can't even get this joke in first. Terrible stuff. :teehee:

shaun.lawson

Sigh, can't even get this joke in first. Terrible stuff. :teehee:

:Agree::(:down:

Still, great minds eh? Or something. :mellow:

Eldar Hadzimehmedovic

:Agree::(:down:

Still, great minds eh? Or something. :mellow:

In all seriousness, fantastic shout on Tsonga. Puts to shame twats on the BBC getting paid rakes of dough.

shaun.lawson

In all seriousness, fantastic shout on Tsonga. Puts to shame twats on the BBC getting paid rakes of dough.

Meh. He'd shown at Queen's what he could do. Henman tipped Djokovic today; and Becker's prediction was pretty much perfect too. :thumbsup:

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

There is something about ND that bugs me. Can't put my finger on it. Fair play though, he was superb.

Rafa was gracious in defeat as well.

Very enjoyable tournament. See you all for the US. :thumbsup:

shaun.lawson

There is something about ND that bugs me. Can't put my finger on it. Fair play though, he was superb.

Rafa was gracious in defeat as well.

Very enjoyable tournament. See you all for the US. :thumbsup:

He's bugged a lot of people over the years. It's that aggression within him, which has sometimes combined with more than a hint of arrogance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLkZ4GMBOHM

Bear in mind this was only a year after he was the flavour of New York with his impersonations of various players (the caption for the video below is wrong: the impersonations were in '07, not '08):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRiQjpqi4S4

But he's come a long way since those days, and now commands universal respect: if not love from anyone other than his compatriots.

Tommy Wiseau

Got to say Djoko at the moment from his side of the draw and Nadal from his - boring I know. :lol: I do think Murray will be in the mix this time, but even if he gets past Nadal in the semi (don't see him slipping up before then tbh), that will tire him and he might struggle in the final as a result.

Quite fancy a dark horse run like Berdych's this year as well though. My tiny mind can't cope with reading the full draw, but I'd say Cilic could go on a decent run if he's likely to avoid the big guns? If not, maybe a Troicki or a Melzer could be the guy to surprise a few.

Looking forward to it anyway. Not least to get my annual look at Wozniacki and Ivanovic in the whites. :thumbsup:

More good tipping from JKB's top tipster I see. :smuggy:

Turned out Tsonga was the (slight) dark horse and not Cilic or Troicki though.

Have enjoyed the tournament and Djoko was a worthy winner. Shame for Rafa - for once he wasn't at his best when it mattered. Took it well though.

Thanks to an unfortunate bout of unemployment I had plenty of time to view the action from this year's Wimbledon.

Gladly, it did not disappoint. Thoroughly enjoyable thumbsup.gif

Archived