Wimbledon 2011

redm

I know it's early (6 days, 19 hours, 40 minutes and some seconds apparently) until the big day but there's plenty of build up chat to be had. Especially when you consider the sizzling form of a certain Mr Murray.

Haters not welcome btw. tongue.gif

So, what's your predictions? Will the safe money be on Federer, will the edgier cats be going for a surprise from Nadal or will the real gamblers risk it all on a Murray special? Is he finally going to do it?

(apologies for premature threadage, I'm just excited... :) )

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hopefully a certain Kickback tipster will be laying Mr Murray at the bookies :thumbsup: (ooh err)

Oh yeah, I forgot about Djokovic....oops...he's also worth considering, I suppose. :laugh:

And what about our young friend from Euston, James Ward? Will the wildcard from Queens bring more shock results in a slam tournament? I'd say that I was going to focus on how he does (like having a second team sort of thing) but I'm a bit of a jinx at the moment so will probably just leave him be. Nonetheless, who is he and where did he come from? More importantly, can he keep it up? Questions questions....

Ryan Gosling

Nadal V Federer final as usual. Glorious failure from the wee hobo weed hopefully :thumbsup:

Nadal and Federer are in the same side of the draw. Can't be in the final I'm sure?

My money is on Djokovic.

Apart from what shite football team a tennis player supports, why do you hope he fails john? It's not like a win for murray would be a win for hibs...

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Nadal and Federer are in the same side of the draw. Can't be in the final I'm sure?

My money is on Djokovic.

The seeds are announced tomorrow - they usually follow the current world rankings so you are probably right.

I P Knightley

Nadal and Federer are in the same side of the draw.

Not necessarily - they often pair seeds 1&4 and 2&3. I'm not sure if there's a standard approach but it's how it worked in Paris.

As for Murray... I hope his next shite's a hedgehog; Hobo bottler; torn-faced, green-wearing loser with a girlfriend who I only just realised has quite a striking facial resemblance to his OWN MOTHER!! etc. etc.

I would love to see him win it but suspect that it will go to Nadal. No doubt, as the tourney starts and Murray puts in a couple of decent performances whilst Nadal has a sluggish start, I will, on JKB, come out with many wild predictions that Murray's bound to win it but let this be my disclaimer of all such crazy notions.

If he'd stop wishing that he was biffing his mother, I'd give him more of a chance.

shaun.lawson

Depends on the draw. They pair the top two seeds (and it wouldn't be a huge shock if the AELTC promote Federer above Djokovic, because of his incomparable record in SW19) randomly with either 3 or 4, any of 5-8, 9-16, and 17-32. But Murray has ended up in Nadal's half remarkably often at Grand Slams - and because Rafa is the man to beat, and in my view, clearly the best grasscourt player in the world now, he needs to avoid that scenario this time.

Right now, I'd suggest Murray remains fourth favourite, but has closed the gap somewhat on the top three. He still doesn't completely convince me in terms of either presence on the court or raw power; and I'm still not sure he has seven excellent five set performances in him. Nadal to win it for me, maybe beating Murray in the final if they end up in opposing halves of the draw. But if Murray loses in the semis again, that'd pose massive, massive questions about his prospects of ever breaking his duck.

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Nadal v Murray final.

Nadal straight sets.

If Tsonga can stay injury free and keep his form he'll maybe have a chance of making the later stages.

Should be a cracker though. The standard of tennis at this events currently is phenomenal.

Depends on the draw. They pair the top two seeds (and it wouldn't be a huge shock if the AELTC promote Federer above Djokovic, because of his incomparable record in SW19) randomly with either 3 or 4, any of 5-8, 9-16, and 17-32. But Murray has ended up in Nadal's half remarkably often at Grand Slams - and because Rafa is the man to beat, and in my view, clearly the best grasscourt player in the world now, he needs to avoid that scenario this time.

Right now, I'd suggest Murray remains fourth favourite, but has closed the gap somewhat on the top three. He still doesn't completely convince me in terms of either presence on the court or raw power; and I'm still not sure he has seven excellent five set performances in him. Nadal to win it for me, maybe beating Murray in the final if they end up in opposing halves of the draw. But if Murray loses in the semis again, that'd pose massive, massive questions about his prospects of ever breaking his duck.

murray's (and others') best chances are with any (or all) of the 'big 3' losing before the semi final stage. bleedin' obvious but true nonetheless.

murray being 4th seed will obviously mean that he doesn't have to face any of the big 3 until that stage, which is some comfort at least. it's when he ever slips down the rankings just a bit that he will find it even harder to make a breakthrough.

Gordon Ramsay

Really hope this is Murray's year and the win today at Queens should help his confidence, although he needs a decent draw to get him through. I actually think he could take Federer and Djokovic on grass but Nadal doesn't know when he's beat. I can see that frustrating Murray and then ultimately he goes on to lose.

With a decent draw though, he should be getting to the semi-finals at least.

How long before the 'British when he wins, Scottish when he loses' patter hits home?

I P Knightley

post-1751-0-31296200-1307990728_thumb.jpg

Really not seeing it, Eyepee. geek.gif

The jaw; the nose (Kim's maybe a tiny bit narrower) and the eyebrow line. It's there, Red, I tell you.

Kim keeps her hair long and, when at the matches with Judy, keeps her shades on to keep us from seeing it but I'll bet, when the lights are down low, Andy's telling her to put her hair up and to scowl at him. It's the only way he can get off.

The jaw; the nose (Kim's maybe a tiny bit narrower) and the eyebrow line. It's there, Red, I tell you.

Kim keeps her hair long and, when at the matches with Judy, keeps her shades on to keep us from seeing it but I'll bet, when the lights are down low, Andy's telling her to put her hair up and to scowl at him. It's the only way he can get off.

:laugh:

Not being funny, I actually do see what you mean a bit with the jaw thing in this one.....eek...

murraysbursd2.JPG

Anyway, ahem....this is supposed to be a serious tennis thread.....

Buffalo Bill

My prediction is that Jamie Murray will roger his mixed-doubles partner after a night on the sauce.

rossthejambo

It's a good job Wimbledon's on because I'm not all that sure how I'd cope with the summer months of no football.

Predictions? I think Djokovic, despite his collapse against Federer, will be there or there abouts. Wouldn't be in the slightest bit surprised if the semis were between the top 4 seeds. Tsonga and Roddick are the only 2 I can see challenging them.

Nadal to win though.

I P Knightley

My prediction is that Jamie Murray will roger his mixed-doubles partner after a night on the sauce.

If this is to be true, then Hobo or not, I hope, for his sake, that he has a new mixed doubles partner for next week:

_53096703_012080956-1.jpg

He could do worse than a return to 2007 and winning ways.

org_item_1277929093.jpg

I P Knightley

It's a good job Wimbledon's on because I'm not all that sure how I'd cope with the summer months of no football.

Predictions? I think Djokovic, despite his collapse against Federer, will be there or there abouts. Wouldn't be in the slightest bit surprised if the semis were between the top 4 seeds. Tsonga and Roddick are the only 2 I can see challenging them.

Nadal to win though.

I doubt that Roddick will make it past the QFs, if that far.

Others to watch for would include Del Potro (very much draw dependent) & Soderling.

Berdych has been abysmal in pretty much every tournament in the last 12 months other than Wimbledon and, last week, the semi-final in Halle (admittedly in a much weaker field then Queen's Club). He may make the QFs but I doubt he'll repeat last year's result.

Wawrinka's another danger; don't be put off by him losing to England's number 1 last week.

novak must have a chance if over his injury, murray just doesn't inspire confidence at the buisness end of tourney's, rogers light seems to be dimming so has to be nadal although he hasn't looked his best this year despite winning in france.

del potro's coming back from a long injury, cant see him being competative

berdych is outta sorts

soderling's performances this year havn't been close to last years

roddick, great battler but its even more competative now than when he was at the op of his game.

tsonga is all about power and i see him fading if matches are long so cant see him lasting out over 5 sets.

one who could surprise is richard gasquet. still quite young and coming back from his ban, has had a couple of decent results this year and pushed murray all the way on his last visit to wimbledon..

NADAL djokovic

rossthejambo

I doubt that Roddick will make it past the QFs, if that far.

Others to watch for would include Del Potro (very much draw dependent) & Soderling.

Berdych has been abysmal in pretty much every tournament in the last 12 months other than Wimbledon and, last week, the semi-final in Halle (admittedly in a much weaker field then Queen's Club). He may make the QFs but I doubt he'll repeat last year's result.

Wawrinka's another danger; don't be put off by him losing to England's number 1 last week.

I don't like to rule out Roddick when it comes to Wimbledon, he seems to save his best tennis for there.

Del Potro seems to have gone backwards a bit since his US Open win but you're right about him being one to watch along with Soderling.

I P Knightley

I don't like to rule out Roddick when it comes to Wimbledon, he seems to save his best tennis for there.

Del Potro seems to have gone backwards a bit since his US Open win but you're right about him being one to watch along with Soderling.

As Reaths says, Delpo is coming back from a lengthy lay off for injury. By rights, he should be back in the top 8 at the end of the year and, had he not come up against Djokovic in the 3rd round in Paris, he'd almost certainly have come in to Wimbledon inside the top 20. He was playing really well in that tournament. I didn't see the match when he lost to that funny little Frenchman at Queen's but his earlier rounds were none too shabby. His low ranking/seeding may see him come up against one of the big guns too early in the tournament but he gave Djoko a scare in Paris and, if it were on grass, I wouldn't bet against him taking him out. You've got me tempted to pop down a few bucks on him e-w.

Roddick's got a better all-round game now than he did 5 years ago but the SF at Queen's shows that when someone gets the measure of his serve, he struggles to cope. More and more players are coming through with Murray's ability to read a fast serve and I don't thinkg the rest of Roddick's game is strong enough to push him beyond the last 8.

For those who like their smartphones, the official Wimbledon one is now ready to download. You know what to do and how to do it. thumbsup.gif

For those who are interested (and similarly afflicted by those job things) I'm going to list some sneaksome ways of watching tennis while you're working in a few days once I can see which 'special sites' will be following it. Or at least I'm going to try to do this. Input from other more accomplished internet pirates would be better than just my half-hearted efforts. Anyway, to be continued....

I P Knightley

Oh yeah, I forgot about Djokovic....oops...he's also worth considering, I suppose. :laugh:

And what about our young friend from Euston, James Ward? Will the wildcard from Queens bring more shock results in a slam tournament? I'd say that I was going to focus on how he does (like having a second team sort of thing) but I'm a bit of a jinx at the moment so will probably just leave him be. Nonetheless, who is he and where did he come from? More importantly, can he keep it up? Questions questions....

He was going great guns against Tipsarevic in Eastbourne yesterday until the match was interrupted for 'bad light' - at about 7:45pm - on one of the longest days of the year - against a man who wears sunglasses while he's playing - who had seen his opponent gain the momentum in the match - a Serb, in short. One set all; kicks off again later today. I hope Ward does it; not for any blinkered "pro-Brit" thing, just because I don't like seeing folk calling a halt to a match when there's plenty of time to see out a final set.

This year the men?s final at Wimbledon will be broadcast in 3D in cinemas throughout the land. Lets get the managers to switch on the the sprinkler systems so we get the full effect. :whistling:

jt

full seedings

EVENT 1 : Gentlemen's Singles

1 Rafael NADAL (ESP) [1]

2 Novak DJOKOVIC (SRB) [2]

3 Roger FEDERER (SUI) [3]

4 Andy MURRAY (GBR) [4]

5 Robin SODERLING (SWE) [5]

6 Tomas BERDYCH (CZE) [6]

7 David FERRER (ESP) [7]

8 Andy RODDICK (USA) [8]

9 Gael MONFILS (FRA) [9]

10 Mardy FISH (USA) [10]

11 Jurgen MELZER (AUT) [11]

12 Jo-Wilfried TSONGA (FRA) [12]

13 Viktor TROICKI (SRB) [13]

14 Stanislas WAWRINKA (SUI) [14]

15 Gilles SIMON (FRA) [15]

16 Nicolas ALMAGRO (ESP) [16]

17 Richard GASQUET (FRA) [17]

18 Mikhail YOUZHNY (RUS) [18]

19 Michael LLODRA (FRA) [19]

20 Florian MAYER (GER) [20]

21 Fernando VERDASCO (ESP) [21]

22 Alexandr DOLGOPOLOV (UKR) [22]

23 Janko TIPSAREVIC (SRB) [23]

24 Juan Martin DEL POTRO (ARG) [24]

25 Juan Ignacio CHELA (ARG) [25]

26 Guillermo GARCIA-LOPEZ (ESP) [26]

27 Marin CILIC (CRO) [27]

28 David NALBANDIAN (ARG) [28]

29 Nikolay DAVYDENKO (RUS) [29]

30 Thomaz BELLUCCI (BRA) [30]

31 Milos RAONIC (CAN) [31]

32 Marcos BAGHDATIS (CYP) [32]

the bold ones should be in murrays half of the draw if i remember correctly

rossthejambo

Murray pumped by Nadal in the semi finals again it would seem.

I P Knightley

James Ward PUMPED OOT of the Aegon International in Eastbourne by J(w)anko Tipsarevic this afternoon. Hobo bottler; wee team mentality.

I don't quite get why the BBC are all over Queen's Club (which is a great tournament to attend, and attracts its fair share of top players) but they leave Eastbourne alone.

On paper, Easty should be at least as good as Queen's - same prize money and ATP points; grass courts and (with the BBC in mind) both a men's and a women's tournament. The women's has traditionally attracted the leading players: this year sees both Williams brothers; Na Li/Li Na/La Ni/Ni La (delete as appropriate), the one who won the French; the wee French fella who lost in the French final; Ana Ivanovic; and some Eastern European people (Dulkoease?), some of whom may be in the top 5.

If they could sort out the timing between the French and Wimbledon, both tournaments would attract more players; we could see a bit more grass court tennis and consideration could be given to running a grass court tournament within the Masters series (drop one of the North American hard court ones).

James Ward PUMPED OOT of the Aegon International in Eastbourne by J(w)anko Tipsarevic this afternoon. Hobo bottler; wee team mentality.

I don't quite get why the BBC are all over Queen's Club (which is a great tournament to attend, and attracts its fair share of top players) but they leave Eastbourne alone.

On paper, Easty should be at least as good as Queen's - same prize money and ATP points; grass courts and (with the BBC in mind) both a men's and a women's tournament. The women's has traditionally attracted the leading players: this year sees both Williams brothers; Na Li/Li Na/La Ni/Ni La (delete as appropriate), the one who won the French; the wee French fella who lost in the French final; Ana Ivanovic; and some Eastern European people (Dulkoease?), some of whom may be in the top 5.

If they could sort out the timing between the French and Wimbledon, both tournaments would attract more players; we could see a bit more grass court tennis and consideration could be given to running a grass court tournament within the Masters series (drop one of the North American hard court ones).

See? I'm a terrible jinx. Knew I shouldn't even have mentioned the poor lad. Sorry James. :oldsad:

On a slightly different note I was reading an interesting article in Sunday's Observer about Serena Williams and the return of the sisters to the circuit. On one hand the writer was somewhat sympathetic towards them and felt that while they could be prickly and difficult with the media, the fact remains that they are actually treated very different by both the tennis world and the press and admitted that it happens simply because they're black. On the other hand, he was quite snippy about their approach to marketing themselves and made comments about their dad (he's their manager?) giving them some sort of false ghetto princess cover story that they don't really deserve as they never really lived in that Compton place or anywhere like it and actually had very privileged upbringings. I've never really paid much attention to them other than when they first appeared - I find it hard to get excited about ladies tennis - but it seems that they're considered quite controversial. Between this nonsense and Sharapova-esque stuff (I blame that Kournikova, she started it) it seems that womens tennis is relying on some sort of crap PR and scantily clad girl approach to making their sport look less rubbish. Or at least that's how it seems to me but I don't really know much about it all.

Might pay more attention now though, just so I can gripe about it. :)

I P Knightley

Women's tennis is appalling. The worst thing that happened to it was the All England caving in to give them equal prize money. They do 60% of the work of the guys in Grand Slam tournaments; and they attract less than half of the viewers (last Wimbledon finals: women watched on telly by 2.3m men by 5.6m).

Fair enough, on the former, they probably put in a similar amount of time in coaching but the paying public and the guys funding the prize money aren't paying for the work behind the scenes; they're paying for the spectacle on court. Although in men's tennis, you often come across one-sided matches; set scores of 6-0 or 6-1 are rare and, often (as with Murray v Roddick on Saturday) are the result of some sublime stuff. In the women's 'game', they're frequent and the result of some no-hoper being pitched onto court to make up the numbers or one of the seeded players being on the blob or something.

I'm happy to peruse photographs of female tennis players but watch them 'play'? Not on your nelly.

Back to the serious stuff, I just took a look in the bookies and saw JM Del Potro priced at 5th favourite - 20/1. Each way only takes in the two finalists, though. If anyone knows of somewhere I could get a price on him getting to the semi, I'd be interested to take a look.

Women's tennis is appalling. The worst thing that happened to it was the All England caving in to give them equal prize money. They do 60% of the work of the guys in Grand Slam tournaments; and they attract less than half of the viewers (last Wimbledon finals: women watched on telly by 2.3m men by 5.6m).

Fair enough, on the former, they probably put in a similar amount of time in coaching but the paying public and the guys funding the prize money aren't paying for the work behind the scenes; they're paying for the spectacle on court. Although in men's tennis, you often come across one-sided matches; set scores of 6-0 or 6-1 are rare and, often (as with Murray v Roddick on Saturday) are the result of some sublime stuff. In the women's 'game', they're frequent and the result of some no-hoper being pitched onto court to make up the numbers or one of the seeded players being on the blob or something.

I'm happy to peruse photographs of female tennis players but watch them 'play'? Not on your nelly.

Back to the serious stuff, I just took a look in the bookies and saw JM Del Potro priced at 5th favourite - 20/1. Each way only takes in the two finalists, though. If anyone knows of somewhere I could get a price on him getting to the semi, I'd be interested to take a look.

:rofl: :rofl:

shaun.lawson

See? I'm a terrible jinx. Knew I shouldn't even have mentioned the poor lad. Sorry James. :oldsad:

On a slightly different note I was reading an interesting article in Sunday's Observer about Serena Williams and the return of the sisters to the circuit. On one hand the writer was somewhat sympathetic towards them and felt that while they could be prickly and difficult with the media, the fact remains that they are actually treated very different by both the tennis world and the press and admitted that it happens simply because they're black. On the other hand, he was quite snippy about their approach to marketing themselves and made comments about their dad (he's their manager?) giving them some sort of false ghetto princess cover story that they don't really deserve as they never really lived in that Compton place or anywhere like it and actually had very privileged upbringings. I've never really paid much attention to them other than when they first appeared - I find it hard to get excited about ladies tennis - but it seems that they're considered quite controversial. Between this nonsense and Sharapova-esque stuff (I blame that Kournikova, she started it) it seems that womens tennis is relying on some sort of crap PR and scantily clad girl approach to making their sport look less rubbish. Or at least that's how it seems to me but I don't really know much about it all.

Might pay more attention now though, just so I can gripe about it. :)

:Agree:

Together, Billie Jean King and Martina Navratilova (no jokes at the back, please) were responsible for the professionalisation of women's tennis, and above all, the WTA. Both, especially King, were at the forefront of demands for equality in terms of prize money and respect - so what does the WTA do? Produce a calendar of scantily clad babes every year. And what do Grand Slams do? Put only those with sex appeal - regardless of their world ranking - on the show courts.

And - particularly in the case of the WTA - why? Because women's tennis is in the most desperate, shocking state. It moved seamlessly from King to Evert to Navratilova to Graf to Seles to Hingis - but since power completely took over the game, especially through the Williams sisters, it's been lost. In theory, the success of these two players should be one of the most extraordinary ongoing stories - and hence, selling points - in all of sport. But that neither have dedicated themselves to the tour for many years now - and that, whenever I watch them, neither even seem to enjoy the simple act of playing the game - leaves a huge credibility gap, which the women's game cannot cope with.

It's tried the Kournikova/Ivanovic approach, which has simply removed attention from the best players, onto merely the best looking ones; it's tried hyping up the emergence of Eastern European players like Sharapova (who falls into the first category too, of course - and has a great chance of winning Wimbledon this year if you ask me), Jankovic, Kuznetsova, Safina, or more latterly, Azarenka or Kvitova. But to the vast bulk of the public, most of this group are monotonous non-entities, impossible to distinguish from one another; and to make matters worse, all too often, the world number one, be it Jankovic, Ivanovic, Safina or now Wozniacki, has very obviously not been the best player in the world - but instead, merely the leading player who competes in most events.

Any sport needs Champions and a world number one with whom the public can identify - but in the case of women's tennis, too many of its best players represent complete charisma bypasses; and those who do at least exhibit some personality generally aren't quite good enough. Today's withdrawal from Wimbledon of Kim Clijsters - whose cheery approachability and perfect sportsmanship has made her one of the few chinks of light in recent years - is just another blow. Time was when tennis seemed cyclical: back in the 90s, before Sampras and Agassi more or less joined forces in saving it, men's tennis was in the same dispiriting state as the women's game is now. But given the extraordinary level, popularity and competitiveness of men's tennis now, it seems inconceivable that the female game will ever return to its former profile. It's a completely different sport - and a very, very poor imitation at that.

With regards womens tennis, both williams sisters would get it.

Once in the morning if they're lucky too.

shaun.lawson

With regards womens tennis, both williams sisters would get it.

Once in the morning if they're lucky too.

Maria Kirilenko? Aye. :thumbsup:

Gisela Dulko? Most certainly. :thumbsup:

Jelena Jankovic? Not everyone's cup of tea - but I think she's ace. :thumbsup:

But either of the Williams brothers? :no:

I P Knightley

Together, Billie Jean King and Martina Navratilova (no jokes at the back, please) were responsible for the professionalisation of women's tennis, and above all, the WTA. Both, especially King, were at the forefront of demands for equality in terms of prize money and respect

Typical of a pair of clam-bangers. Give the promise of a hugely exciting spectacle to come; tempt you into parting with oodles of hard earned cash but after the first few minutes of excitement & thrill, you sit back and realise that it's ultimately a sad and unfulfilling experience and there's absolutely nothing you can do to get your money back.

So I've been told.

Chad Sexington

Maria Kirilenko? Aye. :thumbsup:

Gisela Dulko? Most certainly. :thumbsup:

Jelena Jankovic? Not everyone's cup of tea - but I think she's ace. :thumbsup:

But either of the Williams brothers? :no:

Serena has fantastic norks so deal me in. :cornette:

Venus looks like she'd snap your head off your neck and eat it after sex so I'm going to pass on that one. :muggy:

I would literally do anyting for a shot on serena.

Vents would be good too.

I'm actually in love with serena though.

Guest Ultraviolet Catastrophe

I would literally do anyting for a shot on serena.

Vents would be good too.

I'm actually in love with serena though.

They would both destroy you.

I P Knightley

COME ON TIGER TIM!!!!

Some tosser came out with that during the Queen's tournament during (I think) the James Ward semifinal.

I hope someone nearby took appropriate action with a handy pint glass or something.

Archived