Wimbledon 2011

redm

I P Knightley

murray has Daniel Gimeno-Traver

mahut plays isner

Can't help but feel that the Mahut v Isner will be the largest anti-climax. Still, if it deflects the slightest attention from the usual ridiculous brit-mania, it can only be a decent thing.

Murray's route has him seeded to meet Roddick in the quarters and Nadal in the semi-final. Once again, some quarters of the media are drooling at the prospect of a Nadal v Federer final as if they might end up playing the same match they had in 2008.

Buckle in and get ready for the ride.

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply
shaun.lawson

Interesting draw - but not really what Murray was looking for. Yet again, he's in Nadal's half: this keeps happening at Grand Slam after Grand Slam, and the odds against it must be seriously substantial. He also has the unpleasant prospects lurking of Cilic in round 3, and Warwinka or Gasquet in round 4: two of these players have beaten him in Slams, all three have pushed him to the limit.

Nadal, though, has the one nobody wanted: Del Potro in round 4, followed by the always dangerous (though completely off his game over the past year), Berdych in the quarters. To put that into perspective, if Murray had landed those two (especially JMDP), we'd all be panicking. Despite his return to form at the French, I think Federer is ripe to be upset at Wimbledon; and I like Djokovic's draw a lot. In spite of his unbelievable record this year, he can ease through the tournament under the radar: all the media and public attention will be on the other three.

Predictions:

Semi-Finals:

Nadal v Murray

Tsonga v Djokovic

Final:

Nadal v Djokovic

Champion:

Nadal

Interesting draw - but not really what Murray was looking for. Yet again, he's in Nadal's half: this keeps happening at Grand Slam after Grand Slam, and the odds against it must be seriously substantial. He also has the unpleasant prospects lurking of Cilic in round 3, and Warwinka or Gasquet in round 4: two of these players have beaten him in Slams, all three have pushed him to the limit.

Nadal, though, has the one nobody wanted: Del Potro in round 4, followed by the always dangerous (though completely off his game over the past year), Berdych in the quarters. To put that into perspective, if Murray had landed those two (especially JMDP), we'd all be panicking. Despite his return to form at the French, I think Federer is ripe to be upset at Wimbledon; and I like Djokovic's draw a lot. In spite of his unbelievable record this year, he can ease through the tournament under the radar: all the media and public attention will be on the other three.

Predictions:

Semi-Finals:

Nadal v Murray

Tsonga v Djokovic

Final:

Nadal v Djokovic

Champion:

Nadal

Del Potro's never made it past the 2nd round at Wimbledon.

shaun.lawson

Del Potro's never made it past the 2nd round at Wimbledon.

Well, it's high time he did then, isn't it? :D

Robbo-Jambo

Put ?500 quid on Murray to win yesterday at 6/1 while pished. :( Could end in divorce or a holiday of a lifetime. Win win situation. :D

We've been through this with xfactor robbo.

I hope to christ your bet wins but wouldn't be confident at all.

Robbo-Jambo

We've been through this with xfactor robbo.

I hope to christ your bet wins but wouldn't be confident at all.

But at least i would be young :( free and single again ;) Got a funny feeling he will win somehow Boomstick. Who do you think will win btw. B) I will put another ?500 on your tip and blame you if they lose and send the missus roond to the Corn Exchange. :D:D

Tommy Wiseau

Get that laid off when his odds drop a bit, Robbo. You can guarantee a bit of profit on this, but the chances of the bet coming in on its own are pretty slim tbh.

Robbo-Jambo

Get that laid off when his odds drop a bit, Robbo. You can guarantee a bit of profit on this, but the chances of the bet coming in on its own are pretty slim tbh.

Aye was thinking along the same lines Charlie now im sober(ish). Cheers for the advice anyway. Who do you fancy anyway apart from half the women competing ? :)

Tommy Wiseau

Aye was thinking along the same lines Charlie now im sober(ish). Cheers for the advice anyway. Who do you fancy anyway apart from half the women competing ? :)

Got to say Djoko at the moment from his side of the draw and Nadal from his - boring I know. :lol: I do think Murray will be in the mix this time, but even if he gets past Nadal in the semi (don't see him slipping up before then tbh), that will tire him and he might struggle in the final as a result.

Quite fancy a dark horse run like Berdych's this year as well though. My tiny mind can't cope with reading the full draw, but I'd say Cilic could go on a decent run if he's likely to avoid the big guns? If not, maybe a Troicki or a Melzer could be the guy to surprise a few.

Looking forward to it anyway. Not least to get my annual look at Wozniacki and Ivanovic in the whites. :thumbsup:

Ryan Gosling

Probably head down to the gym and watch Rafa batter some nomark into submission while I cling on to every breath as if it could be my last while desperately try to rehydrate myself after 3km on level 1 break the gym equipment because I'm so powerful and strong and stamina-ey.

:verysmug:

chester copperpot

Put ?500 quid on Murray to win yesterday at 6/1 while pished. :( Could end in divorce or a holiday of a lifetime. Win win situation. :D

What a mental bet.

My limits ?20 on gambling, though have made a few drunken mistakes when up at the bookies.

Maria Kirilenko? Aye. :thumbsup:

Gisela Dulko? Most certainly. :thumbsup:

Jelena Jankovic? Not everyone's cup of tea - but I think she's ace. :thumbsup:

But either of the Williams brothers? :no:

HOW COULD YOU MENTALLY CHEAT ON YOUR GIRLFRIEND WITH ALL THESE WOMEN SHAUN!!! :arry:

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Looking forward to it anyway. Not least to get my annual look at Wozniacki and Ivanovic in the whites. :thumbsup:

Funny you should say that, I was impressed by her committment to the point in this photo and her flexibility.

14932_2009_eastbourne9wozniacki_123_254lo.JPG

:arry:

chester copperpot

What time does the action kick off.

No a bad Monday with Day 5 of the cricket and Wimbers starting too.

What time does the action kick off.

No a bad Monday with Day 5 of the cricket and Wimbers starting too.

18 minutes ago. thumbsup.gif

Nadal isn't on centre court until 1pm, but the other courts all seemed to get going at midday.

chester copperpot

18 minutes ago. thumbsup.gif

Nadal isn't on centre court until 1pm, but the other courts all seemed to get going at midday.

Ah right, the wonders of the red button huh, currently watching McEnroe and Henwoman talking up Murray's chances.

Geoff Kilpatrick

Oh great (!) Channel 7 now have the rights to Wimbledon out here and they're taking the BBC commentary feed. Full on Murray mania will have to be avoided over the next two weeks. Hopefully, I'll be sleeping when he's playing!

Anybody watching the two chicks whack some balls around on BBC1 just now? I kid you not one of them is Scott Brown.

So far in the annual "who's got the biggest nipples" contest at Wimbledon Dokic is in the lead. Poor showing by her opponent, who looks a lot like a Sicilian mafioso hitman from the 1930's.

I await the other matches with interest.

So far in the annual "who's got the biggest nipples" contest at Wimbledon Dokic is in the lead. Poor showing by her opponent, who looks a lot like a Sicilian mafioso hitman from the 1930's.

I await the other matches with interest.

I'm not fussed about her nipple situation but I do wish she'd slow the heck down.

I was hoping to get home in time to watch a bit of Murray v Gimeno-Traver today. angry.gif

I see there's a Pospisil from the Czech Rep playing today - anyone know if he's related to our Scottish Cup 2006 winning penalty scorer?

I see there's a Pospisil from the Czech Rep playing today - anyone know if he's related to our Scottish Cup 2006 winning penalty scorer?

If every shot he hits sails over the net and into the crowd, then I would say yes.

RoussetsShorts

Come on traver, right intae the hobo who looks like an absolute Craig Thomson wi that bum fluff beard effort thing.

Nucky Thompson

I really enjoyed that last match :thumbsup: That Frankie Dettori is some all round sportsman :whistling:

Tommy Wiseau

Funny you should say that, I was impressed by her committment to the point in this photo and her flexibility.

14932_2009_eastbourne9wozniacki_123_254lo.JPG

:arry:

What an athlete. :thumbsup:

:jjyay:

shaun.lawson

Gimeno-Traver's basically played the perfect match so far. I can't see him keeping this level up for an entire five set match - but well, who knows?

Memo to Andy:

1. Tell Mum to GTF.

2. Lose the green flash, and replace it with maroon, pronto.

And don't come crying to the rest of us if you don't do the above... :thumbsup:

RoussetsShorts

Murray is a docksiding miserable gob shite, do you think he's ever pumped his burd, I reckon he just sits on his playstation in a bad mood 24/7.

shaun.lawson

His ma really is one torn faced boot.

I dunno who's worse - Mrs Murray, or Tim Henman's Dad, who I swear was actually a cardboard cutout. He had the same pose, the same pursed expression at every moment of every single match he ever watched. I've seen him in Oxford a couple of times, and he's exactly the same as back then too. :mellow:

shaun.lawson

SNA2642Q1-380_661762a.jpg

Worth my tv license alone.

The top two players in the world would like a word with you about that.

Novak's bursd:

novak_djokovic_girlfriend_jelena_ristic_07.jpg

Rafa's bursd:

Nadal-wife.jpg

These two know the score. :thumbsup:

RoussetsShorts

SNA2642Q1-380_661762a.jpg

Worth my tv license alone.

Ah the massive sunglasses trick. Always used by burds wi rank plooky faces.

Say What Again

Novak's bursd:

novak_djokovic_girlfriend_jelena_ristic_07.jpg

I've posted that very pic on here before.

She's top drawer :thumbsup:

scottish_chicP

Ah the massive sunglasses trick. Always used by burds wi rank plooky faces.

She doesn't have sunglasses on now and doesn't appear to have any spots :)

i thought the boy looked a wee bit like jamie mole until he fell on his erse.

now i'm convinced.

Nucky Thompson

i thought the boy looked a wee bit like jamie mole until he fell on his erse.

now i'm convinced.

I thought the same when I first saw him

Archived