FM2008 thread

From Perth to Paisley

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No all you have to do is make enough money and keep pestering the board and eventually.........EVENTUALLY you'll get a new stadium.

do u just ask ever season and it will happen?

Yup, although might take them 5-6 years to realise they aren't going to get planning permission to expand and have to look at building from scratch!

Since installing the patch, Ibby Tall seems to be scoring a lot more goals from near post headers at corners...

I must be doing something right at the moment though, because I am 14 games unbeaten in the season, and I just beat Hibs 4-3 in the CIS cup semi final!!!

The Old Tolbooth
Oh, it's in the game alright. Look at the date.....I'm playing in 2022!

I have never used either the editor or the scouting thingy. It's cheating.:confused:

What scouting thingy?

I'm crap at finding new players :confused:

Say What Again
Anyone else think Pinilla is *****e?

I sold him to Aberdeen for ?200k. I think he scored something like 3 goals in 25 games for them.

Yes, he's not even scoring for my reserves.

I've been reluctant to sell him but his wages could be put to better use elsewhere. Clubs after him aswell, shouldn't be as hard to sell as Pospisil is.

Really? I sold him after 3 seasons to Genoa for ?2.6m.

Scored 40 goals in total for me.

Works really well with Nade.

Really? I sold him after 3 seasons to Genoa for ?2.6m.

Scored 40 goals in total for me.

Works really well with Nade.

He just said I was inexperienced and didn't know a good player when I saw one. I told him he was gone and transfer listed him for 2.5 million.

I always overprice players to get the best deal possible.

Getting a 26,000 seater 'Hill Park' built in June 2014.. finally. My finances are still well dodgy though, losing money all the time. I blame Vlad.

Anyway, I should be revising. :nooo:

Am I the only one shocked at how good Juho Makela gets in the game? :eek:

Went to Inverness on the bosman and scored a fair few goals then went to Hibs for around 400k and has been scoring for fun for the past two seasons. He was the SPL's top scorer with 34 goals last season and he's now worth ?4.7m. At least his contracts up at the end of the season.. :)

Scout France or just do a search in France some really good youngsters there.Some are too pricey but you will find some gems.

Damien le tallec

amazing player for me, can get him on a freebie because of his age. Amazing wee player. Sold him to chelsea for 12m after 1 season

jamboinglasgow

It annoys me how you can never upgrade tynecastle in football manager, in FM2007 I played 9 seasons asking for an upgrade each year and every summer it was the same, planning application rejected, this despite me filling tynecastle every match. Hopefully when we are granted planning application in real life, sports interactive will relax Hearts chances of getting a new stand.

jamboinglasgow

Early on get a young goalkeeper called Joel (spanish) he will be 16/17 at the start of the game, I bought him at the start of 2009/2010 season and he has been amazing, and he is no where near his potential yet, should be a cracking player, only think is I owe his old club 40% of the next transfer if I move him on.

Also if you get scouts get one with 20 rating judging potential abilty, the current abilty doesn't need to be that great, it is the ideal person for youth scouting.

Also how do you get a better influx of youth players at the begining of the season, is it just through the quality of your youth facilties or do scouts bear any bearing on it?

Dr Ian Malcolm

Get good coaches in - makes a difference long term.

I always keep Pinilla - scores plenty alongside nade until Kostadinov is ready. I rotate him in an out, although he's more injury prone in 08.

I think he is utter gash in fm, he is injured when it starts and is out for a month but after a week he puts in a transfer request because he isnt in the 1st team!!!!!!!

Aye, rubbish.

I sold him in season 2 I think for a healthy sum (can't remember what)

I also let go Nade and Makela, who both went on to become high scorers for Aberdeen and Gretna respectively.

Replaced them though with a rotation of:

Gary Glen (now worth ?2m in season 2010/11)

Hjalmar Thorarrinson

Alexandre Mendy (signed from Most in France)

Sandor Torghelle (can't remember where I signed him from, but it was on a bosman)

Andrius Velicka

Michael Pospisil (considering letting him go in the summer)

I also have Sean Mackle on the right wing, and he has been amazing!! (now worth ?3m)

By the way, this might be a tip for others: in my game Celtic signed a guy in the first season called "Vagner Love" (Brazilian) and he is ripping up the SPL, scoring all the time.

He won the golden boot last season...

jamboinglasgow

For me I like Pinilla, Nade was my top scorer the first two seasons but the third season he is doing poorly and his contract is up at the end of the season and he is asking for more money I can afford so probably let him go. Bednar as well, his contract is up at the end of the season so will let him go as well. Will have a strike force of Pinilla, Kostidinov (who scored a goal in each of his last two game) and Glen. Also Love looks good.

I have quite a young team at the momment

Joel (19)

Simek Arias (18) Granqvest Murphey (the hibs one)

Cesnauskus Aguir Copil Driver

Nade Pinilla

With a bench of:

Bjornnson

Thomson

Jones

Kostidinov

Bednar

Visconte

Rapnik

Say What Again

Has anyone started a new game with the 8.0.2 patch?

Velicka is much better (well he is for me anyway). Granted I'm only 8 games in but he has 7 goals in those 8 games as well as 4 in pre season games.

I notice the board are still a pain in the arse. I brought in Tim Krul on a season long loan and all my coaches say he's much better then Banks or Basso and his stats back this up.

In the 7 games he's played he's had 4 clean sheets and has an average rating on 6.96. The board are unhappy with my decision to sign him :mad:

fm08nm2.png

What a game that was :P

Followed that up by drawing 4-4 away to Zagrab (?) from Croatia, in the EUFA cup. Then went on to beat them 3-1 in the second leg (home). 7-5 on aggregate ;)

Anyone else get problems with all the good youths (Kostadinov, Copil, Stancu etc.) all becoming unhappy if you regect the OF when they make offers for the players.

Chrambo- instead of rejecting the offer negotiate it to a very high amount that you don't think they'll come back with. Although they might still get unhappy, there's less chance of it than if you just plain reject it.

Although.. I negotiated to ?7.5m for Berra and Celtic came back with it. :eek: He's been on their bench ever since. :)

jamboinglasgow
Chrambo- instead of rejecting the offer negotiate it to a very high amount that you don't think they'll come back with. Although they might still get unhappy, there's less chance of it than if you just plain reject it.

Although.. I negotiated to ?7.5m for Berra and Celtic came back with it. :eek: He's been on their bench ever since. :)

for me that happiest bit was when Rangers bid 400k for elliot, happily sold him to them and has played 3 games since.

Copil was upset when I rejected a rangers bid but cheered up when I gave him a new improved contract. Sometimes thats the best thing to do.

What season are you in eckauskus

In my game, I've just been told Vlad is thinking of stepping down as chairman :mellow:

That has like a 1 in a million chance of happening !

Lucky man !

In my game, I've just been told Vlad is thinking of stepping down as chairman :mellow:

You must have made loads of HUGE signings if the game thinks you are in financial trouble...

Say What Again
Has anyone started a new game with the 8.0.2 patch?

Velicka is much better (well he is for me anyway). Granted I'm only 8 games in but he has 7 goals in those 8 games as well as 4 in pre season games.

2 games after I posted that he got injured for 4 months :mad:

I notice the board are still a pain in the arse. I brought in Tim Krul on a season long loan and all my coaches say he's much better then Banks or Basso and his stats back this up.

I hate the board in this game (though I've only ever been Hearts and Wigan so it's maybe just their boards I hate). After moaning about Krul (who's been outstanding) at the first opportunity, they've now moved on to saying my 2-2 draw away to Motherwell was a poor result and that the expect a better league position.

I'm currently on a run on 8 straight victories, haven't lost in 11, just beat Hibs 5-0 at Easter Road in the QF of the League Cup and sit 3rd in the league, 1pt behind Rangers and 4pts behind Celtic.

Board, Board, GTF :mad:

jamboinglasgow

Can anyone answer me this question? Non-surprisingly I concentrate on youth as Hearts in the game, and I have better coaches and employ scouts who have a potential abilty rating of 20. What I would like to know is to improve in group new youth players you get at the begining of the season, it is just simply improve the youth facilities or do your scouts have any bearing on it? I am currently getting an upgraded youth facility but would love to take it to state of the art.

Cade, noticed that you have state of the art youth facitlities, what is your youth influx like?

jamboinglasgow
Can anyone answer me this question? Non-surprisingly I concentrate on youth as Hearts in the game, and I have better coaches and employ scouts who have a potential abilty rating of 20. What I would like to know is to improve in group new youth players you get at the begining of the season, it is just simply improve the youth facilities or do your scouts have any bearing on it? I am currently getting an upgraded youth facility but would love to take it to state of the art.

Cade, noticed that you have state of the art youth facitlities, what is your youth influx like?

can anyone answer this?

can anyone answer this?

I have my youth and training facilities at the top now and have done for a couple of seasons now and so far my youth has been extremely disappointing. I have a young striker who looks as if he could turn out to be decent, but nothing special.

I never concentrate on youth though and my coaches are hardly amazing (Paul Hartley, Steven Pressley :P). I think your best chance of getting good youth players is sending your scouts elsewhere because from what I've experienced in FM you never produce anyone world class.

Say What Again
can anyone answer this?

Like Ali, I can't really answer it either.

In all my time playing FM2008 I've only ever had 1 youth player get anywhere near the 1st team squad. He was a DR/L whom the report said 'was the brightest prospect he'd seen in a long time' (maybe not exactly that but you know what I mean).

As he was approaching being ready for the 1st team I was constantly knocking back bids from Rangers for him.

I left later that season to take a job in League 1 and put him on my shortlist. At one point there were about a dozen teams after him.

I don't know if it's down to scouts/youth setup/coaches or all 3.

Try posting your question in the 'tactics & training' forum here Si Community

Lets us know if you get an answer. :)

jamboinglasgow
Like Ali, I can't really answer it either.

In all my time playing FM2008 I've only ever had 1 youth player get anywhere near the 1st team squad. He was a DR/L whom the report said 'was the brightest prospect he'd seen in a long time' (maybe not exactly that but you know what I mean).

As he was approaching being ready for the 1st team I was constantly knocking back bids from Rangers for him.

I left later that season to take a job in League 1 and put him on my shortlist. At one point there were about a dozen teams after him.

I don't know if it's down to scouts/youth setup/coaches or all 3.

Try posting your question in the 'tactics & training' forum here Si Community

Lets us know if you get an answer. :)

Thanks for that, I have just asked a question on the forum, and awaiting answer.

Last two seasons I have had a player that was called 'was the brightest prospect he'd seen in a long time' but when I put my potential scout on him (potential rating 20 so he is the one I listen to) I was advised to offload my best prospect this season (previous season was a goalie who is alrite but he is never going to get ahead of mighty 19 year old 1st team goalie Joel, and Mark Ridgers is there as well.

jamboinglasgow
It's on page 7 of this thread.

Post #268

apparntly the 8.0.2 patch has been updated as of today, so it is available off the website I think

jamboinglasgow

here is the reply to my question from SI forums:

well... I have 10 or so scouts that roam the world for youths. 5 feeder clubs, one in belgium (for obvious reasons) one in brazil, argentina, China and Japan.

To get state of the art you need to have enough money and then ask your board to upgrade the youth facility. If you in addition upgrade the training facility that would be a good idea.

I usually look for youngsters that seem decent although my scouts seem to be amateurs despite having 20 in PA assesment, and I've lost out on probably 5 world beaters because they said they were no good.

When the facility is state of the art the likelyhood of getting decent players is higher. But if you in addition bring in youths from all over the world. That will generally benefit the entire youthsquad, as the treshold for getting into the youth squad is very high. Causing only the best to be allowed in.

The more feeder clubs you have, the more scouts you have roaming the world, and last but not least, the ammount of knowledge you have of the world better players will join your team (at leas that's my experience) and they will be from all kinds of nations.

also, be sure to watch Africa. I've noticed I'm missing out on a lot of talent from that area.

How do people get feeder clubs in like Belgium etc.?

Everytime i ask for a new one the board come up with like Livingston and Edinburgh Uni and semi-pro teams.

Dr Ian Malcolm

You need to give the young guys some level of first team exposure if they're gonna become any good. I've played different games where a player has been given a chance and his stats have improved tenfold, and in another game he's not played at all and ends being gash.

Good way to start them off is to play them in the league cup and send them out on loan after that (make sure the team taking them will have them as part of the first team - no point otherwise).

Get them playing gradually over 1/2 seasons, if they've progressed well enough have them as back up and they should imrprove - sometimes they just won't get enough chances and you'll have to move them on - others you're 1st choice in a certain will be injured, they'll play more than usual and they'll improve. Sometimes it just depends.

Also, scout for players up to the age of 18 - of the scout report says they could become a leading/good SPL player in th future, I sign them. A lot of the time I ignore the scouts though - if I find a youngster with pretty good stats for his age, I'll sign him. Use your scouts as a rough guide.

Vlad leaving has been a curse.

My FM crashed and wouldn't load again, so I had to uninstall and re-install. Including all my backgrounds and logos.

Anyway, started a new game. After telling the board I'd win the league, I released Neil McCann on a free, put Park, Visconte and McGowan on long term deals and brought in the following players:

Aleksandr Sulima - ?375k

Liviu Ganea - ?275k

Birkir Bjarnason - ?120k

Arthur Sorin - ?60k

Distel Zola - ?180k

Sabrin Sburlea - ?200k

Scott Arfield - ?1m

Carl Finnigan - ?300k

After beating Hibs 3-1, Aberdeen 3-0, Gretna 3-0, I travelled to Parkhead:

CelticAway.jpg

Something satisfying about gubbing them on their own patch.

Say What Again

Anybody had any problems between Berra and Wallace in 8.0.2?

I'm only 15 games in to the 1st season and Frail told me the 2 of them can't work with each other. I checked Berra's profile and he dislikes Lee Wallace.

1 week later Berra told the press one of them would have to move on. Almost instantly Derby and Rangers are watching Berra.

Archived