FM2008 thread

From Perth to Paisley

Sexton Hardcastle

Started a game with leeds last week. starting -15 is a bitch. 16th now trying to hit playoffs and go thru them to get into the championship. Playing in the johnstone paint trophey is embarising but put fulham out in the FA.Cup and got palace in the 5th round so looking liek a decnet run in that. Branny is a quality signing. Altho his stats are crap and value is like 25k he is on 20 goals this season but tends to miss lots of sitters.

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

dunfermlineiv5.jpg

Just started a new career as Dunfermline. This is my squad for the first season in the First Division. I should walk it and i'm looking for a decent UEFA Cup run aswell.

Sexton Hardcastle
What are the board expectations with the 15 start?

the media predicted 5th . the board wanted me to win the championship within 5 years. i saved the game last nite and ramos got sacked from spurs and the usual media " spurs after leeds manager". so i said maybe to it ...the board went bananas. luckily i saved it, loaded back up got offered and told them to gtf. the leeds board are tight with money. altho i managed to get 2m to spend at the start by adjusting wages n getting rid of all the spongers on 4k a week.

anyone else gone lower league teams?

Say What Again

I haven't done it with 08 yet but I always go lower league teams after I've had my stint with Hearts.

Sexton Hardcastle

it a decent challenge. but my form is so hot and cold its unreal. currently won my last 7 but before that i could put 5 past teams then loose 3-0 to others. It better as well playing 2/3 gmaes a week rather than just the one. the season is a bit longer but more fun. Getting loan sigings is really important. Got turner the everton goalie, driver, kyle lafferty and a few other youngsters. Trying to find a decnt cheap strkier that will bang them in. Branny and lafferty were amazing start of season (lafferty 4 in debut) but now are missing one on ones all the time. any reconmendations...bare in mind its LEEDS

Say What Again
It better as well playing 2/3 gmaes a week rather than just the one. the season is a bit longer but more fun.

That's what I like about the lower leagues, your squad becomes vital because it's impossible to play the same guys every game as they get knackered.

I always try to look to sign players who are comfortable in a few positions for the same reason.

As you said, loan players are vital too.

I think I might start a new game with Accrington Stanley when I get in :1022:

The Old Tolbooth
it a decent challenge. but my form is so hot and cold its unreal. currently won my last 7 but before that i could put 5 past teams then loose 3-0 to others. It better as well playing 2/3 gmaes a week rather than just the one. the season is a bit longer but more fun. Getting loan sigings is really important. Got turner the everton goalie, driver, kyle lafferty and a few other youngsters. Trying to find a decnt cheap strkier that will bang them in. Branny and lafferty were amazing start of season (lafferty 4 in debut) but now are missing one on ones all the time. any reconmendations...bare in mind its LEEDS

A very cheap striker that bangs them in for fun is Charles Andre Doudin, you can get him from a Swiss amatuer club for about 20K normally and he's very good.

You dont even have to pay him much either for to get him to accept a deal.

With 3 games to go and 5 points behined Smelltic, Alan McGregor (captain) came out in the press and said he was determined to win the title.

Checked my first team, and most of them the same thing on their profile.

Almost brought a tear to my eye so it did :thumb:

Was going through a bit of a mid season slump, until I downloaded a new tactic and training schedule.

More importantly though was the striker I bought in the January transfer window:

Alexandre Mendy

This guy is banging them in - I think his ratio at the moment is 2 goals per game, from around 5-6 games.

(including a double at Easter Road!)

Say What Again

The Wigan board has taken the biscuit for accepting bids for my players. After ranting on this thread already about them accepting 3 bids during January - only 1 of which was reasonable - they've topped it this season already before a ball has been kicked.

Andy Webster, captain and regarded by my coaching staff as the best player in my team.

Valued at ?1.7 million.

Hearts bid ?2 million.

Wigan board say it's too good to turn down (I've got ?7 million in the bank).

I'm going to give it half a season then I'm looking for a new job. :mad:

I am now Bradford, Got 2nd in league 2 only to get beaten by goal difference for 1st

Won the league 1 by16 points

Now in the championship and i am struggling a wee bit, im 8th in the league but i seem to beat all the big teams like reading and fulham but i am poor against the smaller teams. Every season the media predict me to be 15th so i am doing better than that.

Always go east stirling for a wee challenge as well

Just started a game as Havant & Waterlooville, going to work my way to the top and hopefully the Hearts job along the way.

Just started a game as Havant & Waterlooville, going to work my way to the top and hopefully the Hearts job along the way.

Go Rocky Baptiste!!!!

My wife heard his name when they were playing Liverpool and thought it was the coolest name ever!!

cant get that file to work. it saves in a RAR file. the goalie one works and its a .TSH file. how did you get your to work?

If you open the rar file theres a .tsh file in it along with a read me.

1st season 3rd and league cup.

2nd season 2nd and Scottish Cup plus qualified for group stages of Champions League.

SOLD

All high earners Pospisil, Tall, Karapydis, Pinilla, Aguair etc. in 1st season

2nd season

Kingston 3.5mill to Salzburg

Goncalves 3.5mill to CSKA Moscow

Bednar 1.7 to Birmingham

Nielson 1.6mill!!! to Norwich

Stewart 1.5mill to Fulham 1.5mill

Palazuelos 900k to Sheff Utd.

Also sold Michael Lustig for 4mill to Sparta Prague in 3rd seasonafter buying him for 100k from GIF Sundsvall.

Current Team

Charles Itanje - RC Lens

Arthur Sorin - Kalmar

Christophe Berra

Tore Reginuissen - Tromso

Lee Wallace

Joaquin Calderon - Deportivo B

Dickson Ethuhu - Sunderland

James Wesolowski - Leceister

Lewis Stevenson - Hibs

Bogdan Stancu - Unirea Urziceni

Christian Nade

Subs.

Steve Banks

Mark Reynolds - Motherwell

Kevin McCann - Hibs

Patrick Cregg - Falkirk

Birkir Bjarnasson - Viking

Andy Driver

Marius Nicolae - ICT

Other good youngsters - Jordens Peters (den Bosch), Eric Tie Bi (Lyon), Jeremy Daouk (Montpellier), Pablo Piatti (Estudiantes), Simone Esposito (juventus), Adrian Hora (Rapid), Charles-Andre Doudin (Le Chaux-de-Fonds), Tommy Hoiland (Bryne), Liviu Ganea (Dinamo Bucharest)

Bring on the league!!!

Ron Atkinsons Microphone

I finished my first season with Hearts.

Finished third and won the Scottish Cup.

Went through Pre-season and what not, I am now on August 16th 2008 and haven't got my fixtures yet for the 2008/2009 season.

Anyone else had this problem or does the season kick off late?

I finished my first season with Hearts.

Finished third and won the Scottish Cup.

Went through Pre-season and what not, I am now on August 16th 2008 and haven't got my fixtures yet for the 2008/2009 season.

Anyone else had this problem or does the season kick off late?

Yup it is a known bug, you have to install the patch to fix it.

Good thing is you don't need to start a new game, thankfully!

Dr Ian Malcolm

Just had the most amazing game I think I;ve ever had on Champ or FM - went to Ibrox 11 pts clear at the top in December (I''l come to this later). Inside 10 minutes I'm 2-0 down thanks to Novo, Boyd and some awful defending, which has so far been the strongest area of my team. Boyd gets another before half-time and all looks lost.

Half-time I went a bit mental at the team, set my attitude to all out attack, direct passing, quick tempo and little time wasting, whilst pushing the wide midfielders up one in to thr AML & AMR positions. Bring on Branny after a bit for Stancu, then replace Torje with Miko and Jonsson with Bruno.

Kostadinov gets one back not long after half time, then Nade gets another about 10 minutes later. Scores again to equalise with about 12 to go. At this point I was tempted to reset the tactics and hang on for the draw 'cause it would be typical for the huns to get a late winner after a comeback like that. Decided to leave it and see if somehow I could get a winner.

82 minutes, Berra heads down a long ball to Aguiar, who lofts a great ball over Alan Lowing for Driver to run on to on the angle and lob it over McGregor = FM Heaven! Cue the tactics being set to defensive attitude, slow tempo, short passing and the wide guys back in to midfield with no arrows. Time wasting to the max, I leave with a ridiculous 3-4 win.

Not lost a game in the league (somehow). Some a should have been hammered but thanks to my defense (Goncalves, Berra, Karipidis, Robbie) and Belgian keeper Logan Bailly, who has been an abosolute saving machine. Spent the majority of my budget on coaches and tweaked the training accordingly, and no-one's been able to stop me. Only dropped points have been Hibs at home 0-0 on the season opener, which was followed by a 1-1 @ Pittodrie I should have lost, and a 0-0 at home with Dundee Utd which I should have won.

Been trying to post screen shots but can't figure out how. I can't have FM and the Internet open at the same time on the laptop, any help appreciated. Still cant get over that game!

Hae seen a few things mentioning FM Genie Scout- anyone know what it is?

It tells you how good a player is and how good he will eventually rise too.The lowest price you can manage to get him at and the highest price.It's basically just telling how good someone will be in the game.

I have 6 games to go in my bradford game, up to 3rd now with a good run, 2 points behind 2nd place a game in hand.

Signed pospisil & branny, Had branny for 3 seasons now and has scored 75 goals in 103 games for me, which is an amazing return for 22k.

Fingers crossed i get to the premiership.

Is it just me who seems to be losing a lot of money throughout the season? I've been losing about ?2m a month! Not sure if it's because of my debts or high wage bill but even then I'm ?60k under my wage budget this season.

Anyway, signed Stancu in the first season and he scored 45 goals in 47 games. Won Europe's top scorer award and clubs came chasing him. I was convinced I wouldn't sell him for less than ?10m. Wishful thinking and it looked as if he'd be staying with me until 'Boro came in with the ?10m bid in the last week of the transfer window. :)

Got to say Kostadinov is the best striker in the game.

Won Europe golden boot for me 2 seasons running playing less games than 2nd and 3rd place.

Playing a 4-2-1-2-1 with him being the lone striker works wonders!

My Team at the beginning ofthe 4th season:

GK: Alexandr Sulima- Absolute bargain at ?100k and now worth ?2.2m, think he will leave soon though :(

DR: Alan Hutton- Signed for ?5.5m, fantastic player so far.

DC: Marius Zaliukas- Does the job, nothing special though.

DC: Andre Bikey- Signed for ?6.75m, my best defender by far and can play DM too

DL: Lee Wallace- Also played left midfield after I converted him there, fantastic player

MR: Juan Pablo Pino- Cost me a massive ?10.5m but got 17 assists and 5 league goals last season, by far my best player

MC: Eggert Jonsson- Played him at DC in the second season but has been very impressive in midfield

MC: Diego Bounanotte- Scores goals for fun from midfield

ML: Birkir Bjarnason- Again another great bargain signing

FC: Kris Boyd- Cost me ?6m but he'll score goals for fun in my team

FC: Roman Bednar- Has scored goals for fun since returning from West Brom

To get all that transfer money I've sold:

Bogdan Stancu- ?10m

Christophe Berra- ?7.5m

Jose Goncalves- ?4m

squeeky-bum time on the last day of the season - I had to beat Falkirk away to clinch 3rd spot, and a Uefa cup place.

Went 2-0 down early on, but then managed to come back in the 2nd half and score 4 to win the game!!

This was after a mid-season slump which saw me in 9th place...

The turnaround??

Some new tactics, and the best striker I have signed so far: Alexandre Mendy

my.php?image=finalleagueqb9.png

squeeky-bum time on the last day of the season - I had to beat Falkirk away to clinch 3rd spot, and a Uefa cup place.

Went 2-0 down early on, but then managed to come back in the 2nd half and score 4 to win the game!!

This was after a mid-season slump which saw me in 9th place...

The turnaround??

Some new tactics, and the best striker I have signed so far: Alexandre Mendy

my.php?image=finalleagueqb9.png

Did the cmfrenzy link i posted for you help you out any.I just finished my first season using only the kids and finished 3rd and won the Scottish Cup.Just played first match of new season won 2-0 away to ICT but check this for a score Hibs beat Celtic 7-0 with Fletcher getting 4 goals.Signed a young right back on a pre contract Duplus the guy is going to be a star.The French league is where the young stars all are.

Did the cmfrenzy link i posted for you help you out any.I just finished my first season using only the kids and finished 3rd and won the Scottish Cup.Just played first match of new season won 2-0 away to ICT but check this for a score Hibs beat Celtic 7-0 with Fletcher getting 4 goals.Signed a young right back on a pre contract Duplus the guy is going to be a star.The French league is where the young stars all are.

Aye - that's the tactic change I mentioned!

I'm losing Laryea Kingston in this close season (didn't want to re-sign, and his work permit was refused), so does anyone have any tips for a good MC ??

Aye - that's the tactic change I mentioned!

I'm losing Laryea Kingston in this close season (didn't want to re-sign, and his work permit was refused), so does anyone have any tips for a good MC ??

Scratch that - I've just signed Barry Robson for ?500,000

Templeton was this year's star with 21 goals.

I now have 3 world class strikers, all from my youth team. Just took him a bit longer.

Templeton was this year's star with 21 goals.

I now have 3 world class strikers, all from my youth team. Just took him a bit longer.

Branny,Glen and Templeton are all class.Branny was my top scorer in my first season with 25 goals in 43 games but Templeton is the best of the 3 because he can play as a supporting striker aswell and wide right.

pumpedathunbrox.jpg

Thank feck for Gary Glen. Bednar is permanantly injured this season, the rest of my strikers are misfiring but the wee man is working wonders.

What tactics is everyone using? And to what levels of success?

I tend to tailor my tactics to who I'm playing. Having a scout give you reports on your next opponent is a must.

Usually I'll play a 4-4-2 normal or a 4-4-2 diamond.

Against teams with a stong midfield or really good strikers, I'll replace a striker for a DMC and go 4-5-1, 4-3-3 etc.

My tactics also depend on whether or not any of my first choice players are out with injuries or suspensions.

I like playing possession football, passing set to short, tempo to slow and narrow playing width.

I have 6 games to go in my bradford game, up to 3rd now with a good run, 2 points behind 2nd place a game in hand.

Signed pospisil & branny, Had branny for 3 seasons now and has scored 75 goals in 103 games for me, which is an amazing return for 22k.

Fingers crossed i get to the premiership.

GUYS I DID IT!!!!!!!!

Beat Fulham in the play-off's on pens to reach the premiership!!!!

Branny ended up ob 37 goals is 41 gmaes that season.

The only bad thing is i think i am about to go into administration

6.3m in the red!!!!!

Will i get my points reduction do you think? not that it is going to be hard anyway lol

3 season and 3 promotions!!!! Champion

The Old Tolbooth
Where am I going wrong?

headlesschicken.jpg

Heh heh!!

I know where your going wrong, your playing Velicka on the right side when he's left footed :P

get the Football Manager 2008 ( a TY release)

only bad thing is that its version 8.0.0 and i cant find an update for it yet!

anyone help?

15 straight league wins on season 2 now but knocked out of the league cup by Aberdeen and struggling in the UEFA Cup basically need to beat Bayern Munich away to make certain of qualification.

The Old Tolbooth

Not long started my second season and had an incredible start, I turned over Omonia Nicosia 3-2 on aggregate to set up a clash with Deportivo to get through to the group stages of the CL after finishing 2nd in the league.

A monumental home leg resulted in a 4-1 win with Deportivo going down to 9 men early in the second half, however the away leg was a very different affair and we were 2-0 down before half time and survived a barrage, a complete onslaught, it was like the Alamo, to scrape through.

Now have games against Liverpool, Olympiakos and I think Marsielle (cant remember the last team), but seem to be struggling in the league a bit.

I sold Larry and Jose for 5M each to raise funds and let Tall go to free up wages so have plenty to spend in the Jan transfer window though.

Archived