FM2008 thread

From Perth to Paisley

Say What Again
Does anyone else have problems getting renewed Work Permits for players like McGowan?

I lost Matthew Park and Ryan McGowan to work permits. They weren't in my first team but I did use them.

Visconte will probably be next. :(

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The only way to make sure mcgowan, park and visconte sign contracts is to offer them 5 year deals as soon as the game starts.

So THAT'S Vlad's plan!;)

Captain Canada

I've just started a game with Millwall (I like a challenge) have signed Makela and McCann and they seem to have found their level. I also have a fantastic right winger by the name of Chris Hackett (remember him?) the guy is awesome in my game. Neil Harris is a prolific striker although a bit on the slow side. I tried to get Thomson, Kostadinov, Eggert and Ryan McGowan in on loan but none of them wanted to come to lowly Millwall! Only lost 1 of my first 9 in the league so far - decent start.

JR79. Definite Romanov signing.:biggrin:

That Romanov knows a good player when he sees him :D

Will post up my Hearts and Athletico careers so far as well.

Captain Canada

I've now got Pospisil, Makela, McCann and Chesney in my Millwall team - they are all brilliant. Looking good for the play-offs at the moment. Got the ex-hearts Dave Bowman as my assistant manager

Oh deep joy.

Got through to the group stage of the Champions League. The draw was like having a bad nightmare.

Chelsea

Lazio

Benfica

Hearts

Sometimes that game really sticks it right up your ring.

FAO SKED

just started a fiorentina season, whats the best tactics to play as ive tried 3/4 and my team is stil pash

Walter Payton
FAO SKED

just started a fiorentina season, whats the best tactics to play as ive tried 3/4 and my team is stil pash

I seem to remember your team being pash when we played that network game Hoody- And you went one of the "big" teams if I recall.The team's only as good as its weakest link-are you the weakest link? ;)

Say What Again

Finally won the league (by 20 points) in my 3rd season. Even after Vlad accepted ?4.5 million for Berra (Rangers) and ?5 million for Joao Carlos (my keeper I'd only just signed in July) during the January transfer window.

Lee Wallace (?5 million) and Copil (?4.6 million) have followed Berra to Rangers at the start of season 4.

Kept up my European record though by losing in my European Cup qualifier to Fiorentina. I've yet to win a tie in Europe after qualifying 3 years on the trot. :mad: The defeat puts me in the UEFA Cup though so I've another bite at the cherry this season.

Team going in to season 4 (a LOT weaker than last years)

Basso (back in goals after Vlad sold my Brazilian keepr)

Ibby Tall (wants to leave and is out of contract at the end of the season)

Scott Cuthbert (bought from Celtic ?475k season 3)

Michael Macienne (on loan from Chelsea for the 2nd year)

Matej Rapnik

Mirsad Beslija (I'm looking for an AMR after selling Copil and just missing out on Chris Eagles)

Bruno Formigoni (Brazilian signed for ?500k start of season 3)

Mikey Stewart

Andy Driver (wants to move to a bigger club)

Scott Sinclair (on loan from Chelsea for the 3rd year)

Bruno Mezenga (Brazilian signed for ?2.2 million season 3, just turned down a ?7 million move to Portsmouth).

I think I'm going to struggle this season and have started in that manner. I only lost once all last season but lost at Tynecastle to Rangers only 2 games in to this one.

So far, P5 W2 D2 L1

Oh deep joy.

Got through to the group stage of the Champions League. The draw was like having a bad nightmare.

Chelsea

Lazio

Benfica

Hearts

Sometimes that game really sticks it right up your ring.

Did alot better then I thought I would. I was sure I was in for 6 heavy tankings but.......whaddayaknow?

Phew.jpg

Lost to Chelsea 2-0 both home and away.

Drew 0-0 with Befica at home then got beat 2-0 away.

Drew 0-0 with Lazio at home and somehow managed to thrash them 3-0 away!:eek:

Had to rely on Benfica beating Lazio for me to go through. Squeaky bum time on the final matchday.

My reward? Sampdoria in the UEFA cup. Ooh ta.:mad:

The Old Tolbooth

Found a really good goalkeeper for peanuts, Tommy Forecast from Spurs has turned out to be brilliant for me.

I also tried to sign Kenneth from Dundee Utd but he wont leave them for no amount of money the saddo!

It was nice to beat Rangers in the league 3-1, then in my very next game knock them out the cup 1-0 which resulted in Mcoist getting sacked :)

Now in my 5th season as Hearts boss. Won the league 3 years in a row now after finished 3rd in the first season. Also won the UEFA Cup in 2010 and got to the Champions League semis last year losing to Arsenal on away goals :mad:

Bagged the Scottish Cup 3 times and League Cup twice.

The below probably remains my favorite game though...!

ibrox_0_7.jpg

Done a fair bit wheelin' and dealin' though with 59 signings (total 36.5M), 57 sold (total 37M) and 39 released! Biggest signing was Kleber for 11M! Also just stole John Carew for 250k as Villa went into administration. :eek:

Oh and I brought in Valdas as my assistant :D

Just past the first transfer window, this is how i'm getting on.

Sold :-

Robbie Neilson - 1 million

Neil McCann - Free

Juho Makela - 150k

Anthony Basso - 100k

Mark Forker - 5k

Bought :-

Alexandr Sulima - 70k

Arthur Sorin - 80k

Jonathan Evans - Loan

Scott Arfield - 220k

Mohamed Kallon - Free

Mika Aaritalo - 300k

Gabriel Torje - 190k

Diego Buonanotte - 150k

Bogdan Stancu - 170k

Charles-Andre Doudin - 14k

Kenneth Stenild - 35k

Lauri Dalla Valle - 50k

Beat Hibs 1-0, Aberdeen 2-1, Gretna 3-1, 0-0 with Celtic and beat Motherwell 3-1.

Can someone please tell me the secret of playing the game in the windowed mode?

I really am getting tired of full screen.

Walter Bishop

Just started a new season last night with Cardiff City, 25 games gone and im 5th in the table,

My team is,

Tom Heaton (man utd on loan)

Gunther

J Evans(Man utd on loan)

Johnson

Loovens

Copil

Mcphail

Ledley

Whittingham

Makela( 36 goals in 29 games overall bought for 15k, Reading tried to buy him for 3.2m!!)

Pinilla (22 goals in 25 games)

Should get promoted, but keep getting wee warnings about financial crisis!!!

HMFCjamieHMFC
Can someone please tell me the secret of playing the game in the windowed mode?

I really am getting tired of full screen.

there is an option in preferences

there is an option in preferences

Yeah, I tried unchecking the 'Full Screen' box, but nothing happened.

I've since had someone tell me how to do it, so I'm set.

Say What Again
Kept up my European record though by losing in my European Cup qualifier to Fiorentina. I've yet to win a tie in Europe after qualifying 3 years on the trot. :mad: The defeat puts me in the UEFA Cup though so I've another bite at the cherry this season.

WOO HOO!!!

I was drawn against some team nobody's ever heard of (CFR Cluj) and in my 4th season, I finally progressed a round in Europe.

Got Benfica, AZ, Lens and Dnipro in my UEFA group.

Got past Sampdoria in the UEFA Cup first knockout round. Drew 2-2 away and won 2-1 at home. 4-3 on aggragate. Squeaky bum time right through both games.

Drew AS Monaco in the next round, drew 1-1 away and won 1-0 at home. Very squeaky bum through both legs.

Now I have the reward of a Quarter-Final against....................................Real Madrid.

I finished the first season in 4th place, and qualified for the UEFA cup.

Lost in the first round proper against Heerenveen.

Currently playing the next season and am mid-table.

Can't even buy a win against the Old Firm though...

I'm on holiday at the moment, so can't post my squad, but will do when I get the chance...

What tactics does everyone use?

Do you stick rigidly to one system or adapt it to fit the ooposition?

I've been trying out a weird looking one:

FMfleurdelystactic.jpg

Slow tempo, short passing, defensive mentality, counter attcking.

Since I adopted this, I've been finding alot of possession and loads of shots on goal in every match.

When playing against scary teams like the OF and Europerans, I remove one striker and add a second DM.

Seems to be working so far.........

Say What Again
What tactics does everyone use?

Do you stick rigidly to one system or adapt it to fit the ooposition?

I play a 4-4-2 Cade but with the wingers in the AML/R positions and an arrow back to midfield.

Away from home vs lesser teams I play the same formation.

I've got a slightly more defensive version of it with slower tempo and counter attack which I use if I'm ahead or the opposition are getting on top. I sometimes use that tactic away to the OF or in Europe.

Finally, I've got an all out defend tactic which I use to try and defend a lead or preserve a draw for the last 10 minutes.

9 times out of 10 it doesn't work though :mad:

my team just now sitting in 3rd about halfway through my first season. signed up the majority of the kaunas loans apart from ivaskevicius, beniusis and ksanavicius and signing danny simpson on loan from man utd and arthur sorin in january. had to sign chris eagles on loan as well after cesnauskis and miko tore their calf muscles in the exact same game and are out for almost the rest of the season.

first XI is:

basso (who is amazing)

sorin

wallace

goncalves

berra

eagles

driver

kingston

palazuelos

velicka

nade

velicka and nade have scored 30+ goals between them. unfortunately im not getting goals from anywhere else. highlight of the season was a 5-0 thrashing of the wee team at easter road. nade scored 4 goals :)

in the semis of the scottish cup against rangers. rangers are absolutely cruising the league so could be a tough one

Does anybody make use of the "load players from additional nations" option when setting up a new game?

If so, which ones and why?

I usually load players from nations whom Hearts have signed players from in real life in recent years, especially Lithuania and Belarus so as to make full use of the feeder clubs set up.

Does anybody make use of the "load players from additional nations" option when setting up a new game?

If so, which ones and why?

I usually load players from nations whom Hearts have signed players from in real life in recent years, especially Lithuania and Belarus so as to make full use of the feeder clubs set up.

In my game I loaded up....

Finland, Sweden, Norway, Holland, Colombia, Brazil, Argentina and a couple of others.

Why? So I could get Aaritalo and Cardenas, sometimes they don't show up on the database.

In my game I loaded up....

Finland, Sweden, Norway, Holland, Colombia, Brazil, Argentina and a couple of others.

Why? So I could get Aaritalo and Cardenas, sometimes they don't show up on the database.

Cheers for that. Thats exactly why I am asking. Set up a game and first signing was going to be Aaritalo but, of course, I couldn't find the guy.

Ta again.

HMFCjamieHMFC
I take it when I get no fixtures for the second season I need to start again then :(

you will have to the new patch stops that from happening

Carl Fredrickson
The only way to make sure mcgowan, park and visconte sign contracts is to offer them 5 year deals as soon as the game starts.

I learned that the hard way too.

Say What Again
I take it when I get no fixtures for the second season I need to start again then :(

As Jamie says John, you'll ned to dowload the patch to stop glitches like that.

Download it here.

Once downloaded, unzip the file and double click the .exe file. It will instal automatically.

You will need to start a new game though :(

Say What Again

Just been asked to resign by Vlad at the start of season 5 to 'keep my reputation in tact'. :mad:

My record in the 4 seasons was:

07/08: League-3rd

08/09: League-3rd

09/10: League-Winner League Cup-Runner Up

10/11: League-Runner Up Scottish Cup-Runner Up

I didn't think that was that bad :(.

Speculation started at the end of season 4 when it kept saying the board were undecided on offering me a new contract and were rumored to be lining up Craig Levein or Jimmy Calderwood as my replacement.

They did offer me a 2 year extension which I signed.

At the start of season 5 (before a friendly had even been played) they board said I should be 'performing slightly better in my role'. I was then approached by the media saying the Hearts fans were a tough bunch to please and I was under pressure. I replied saying I was doing a good job. Just in case though, I had a look at what jobs were available.

Wigan had just been relegated from the Championship to League 1. They had a decent squad including Andy Webster :mad:, Julien Brellier, Jason Koumas, Julio Arca, Jimmy Bullard and Billy Jones (the oldest of which is only 32) and their finances were secure.

I applied for the job and was immediately given the ultimatum to resign and save my reputation or be sacked anyway.

I resigned, which prompted 5 of the backroom staff (including Steve Banks) to quit the club.

I got the Wigan job and took all but 1 of my loyal staff to Wigan with me.

And so, I begin season 5 in League 1 with Wigan.

I've agreed ?100k with Rangers for Lee McCullough and Hearts accepted ?400k for Nade but he's not interested.

'Mon the Lactics!!!!

PS I made Andy Webster vice-captain :eek:

Cheers - downloading it now...

You know what your doing?

Just extract the folder and copy 2 folders into your skins folder (In My Documents).

The Old Tolbooth
As Jamie says John, you'll ned to dowload the patch to stop glitches like that.

Download it here.

Once downloaded, unzip the file and double click the .exe file. It will instal automatically.

You will need to start a new game though :(

Thanks for that mate, much appreciated. :)

FAO SKED

Sorry mate just seen your post now.

Yeah it took me a few alterations to get a settled formation.

Now I am playing a 4-4-2 diamond:

Goalkeeper

Right Back

Cnetre Back

Centre Back

Left Back

Defensive Midfielder

Attacking Midfilder with arrow going out right

Normal Midfielder with arrow going out left

Attacking Midfielder

Striker

Striker

I always play with a target man (Huntallaer spelling?) and a fast striker (Pazzini).

In your case I would go with Pazzini as the target man and Lupoli as the fast striker unless you have bought in another striker. Try Jermain Defoe.

The Old Tolbooth

Argghhh, I cant download the patch properly without errors, it couldnt find a programme to run it first so I downloaded winace to cope with it, and now when I extract it I get error messages

Error 25116

Error bad block

Whatever that means lol!

Why cant they just invent a friggin game that works without patches for guys like me who are pants with pc's ffs!

You know what your doing?

Just extract the folder and copy 2 folders into your skins folder (In My Documents).

Aye I think I've done it, but I'm at work at the moment, so won't be able to test until tonight.

Out of interest, is there a function in the game to get the screenshots that you have posted, or do you use a bog-standard screen capture utility?

FAO anyone who doesn't play Juho.

You're all idiots.

That boy bangs them in for me.

I released Makela and Nade, and they now play for Gretna and Aberdeen respectively.

They are now their new teams top scorers, and always seem to score against Hearts!

(We beat Aberdeen 4 - 1 after Nade scored though...)

Aye I think I've done it, but I'm at work at the moment, so won't be able to test until tonight.

Out of interest, is there a function in the game to get the screenshots that you have posted, or do you use a bog-standard screen capture utility?

I just push the button at the top of my keyboard, Prt Scr. Then I just goto paint and paste it in there.

Say What Again
And so, I begin season 5 in League 1 with Wigan.

Finding it tough so far.

With Wigan having been relegated twice in the last 3 seasons, they're still ranked reasonably highly. Almost every home game I play I'm about 1/6 with the bookies - I've been as low as 1/8. This means that almost every side that comes to my place won't attempt to cross the halfway line and if I don't batter them 6-0 the fans aren't impressed.

About 25 games in and I'm 6th (but only 7 points of promotion). The board are less then satisfied already..

I'm playing a new formation of 4-3-2-1

Brad Jones

Habib Beye

Andy Webster

Alex Bruce

Steve Hammel

Julien Brellier

Jason Koumas

Julio Arca

Mauricio Esposito

Lee McCulluch

Morten Neilson

Dr Ian Malcolm

Finally won the league after my 5th season with Hearts. Scottish & League Cup wins preceeded the title. Was on for the double untl Aberdeen beat 5-1 in the semi. Saved up a decent amount of cash from player sales over the year but this year is the biggest budget I've ben given at ?4.3m. Lost Berra on a bosman which was a blow ans usually have managed to get everyone i wnated to keep to sign on.

To those who sold Nade - big mistake. He was easily my top scorer for my first three seasons.....Then Kostadinov got a chance. He is unreal.

Team that won the league:

Stenild

Whittaker

Barr

Berra

Wallace

D. Cesnauskis

Jonsson

Palazuelos

E. Cesnauskis

Nade

Kostadinov