FM2008 thread

From Perth to Paisley

So far im in the championship. Started in Conference North. Heres some screen shots:

Signed him at 15years old, main reason I got promoted, finally sold him on though:

janusfisher.jpg?t=1207842243

His career/goal record:

januscareer.jpg?t=1207842520

My current Star:

andersonfisher.jpg?t=1207842562

How Im sitting in the league:

fisherchampionship.jpg?t=1207842651

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jamboinglasgow
So far im in the championship. Started in Conference North. Heres some screen shots:

My current Star:

andersonfisher.jpg?t=1207842562

how did you manage to get an 18 year old brazilian?

how did you manage to get an 18 year old brazilian?

Had to appeal the work permit but he was capped at under 21 so that might of swung it, also I reckon he 'significantly improves quality of players in league' and these are the 2 factors that permits are based on.

Also anyone wanting updates, team logos etc go here: http://www.fmformation.net/index.php

The people are dead helpful and there is detailed instructions on how to upload everything to your game.

I now have badges for basically every team in europe and every national team.

Had to appeal the work permit but he was capped at under 21 so that might of swung it, also I reckon he 'significantly improves quality of players in league' and these are the 2 factors that permits are based on.

Also anyone wanting updates, team logos etc go here: http://www.fmformation.net/index.php

The people are dead helpful and there is detailed instructions on how to upload everything to your game.

Doesn't that significantly slow down the loading of the application (when you first start it)?

My continued success in FM is my way of unwinding after each feck up by Hearts in real life.

No wonder I've been playing it so much this year.

pwned.jpg

I call BS.

18 or so years in a row winning EVERYTHING!? I smell a 'save and reload if I lose' FM player.

HMFCjamieHMFC
Doesn't that significantly slow down the loading of the application (when you first start it)?

no it doesn't it may do slightly though

not at all. something to do with it being a cache file. it loads seperate. doesnt slow it down at all just takes some memory on ur hard drive. you can even play existing saves and the badges or player pictures will appear.

not at all. something to do with it being a cache file. it loads seperate. doesnt slow it down at all just takes some memory on ur hard drive. you can even play existing saves and the badges or player pictures will appear.

I didn't make myself clear.

I didn't mean when you are in the middle of a running game - by that time it will have loaded all these files into the memory and use them as cache, like you say.

What I meant was when double-click the "Football Manager 2008" icon to start the game. It presumably takes longer to read all these files so that it can put them into the cache in the first place...?

I didn't make myself clear.

I didn't mean when you are in the middle of a running game - by that time it will have loaded all these files into the memory and use them as cache, like you say.

What I meant was when double-click the "Football Manager 2008" icon to start the game. It presumably takes longer to read all these files so that it can put them into the cache in the first place...?

Cant say Ive noticed it being any slower. I've had no problems.

I call BS.

18 or so years in a row winning EVERYTHING!? I smell a 'save and reload if I lose' FM player.

Baws. It took me several attempts to win my first CL trophy.

JamboRossi79

Which style of logos do you use ?

I downloaded a whole pack but they are all in wee boxes so don't look as good imho

Which style of logos do you use ?

I downloaded a whole pack but they are all in wee boxes so don't look as good imho

It is hard to find extensive badges with transparent edges. I downloaded one set and they were in a crap looking white box as you say didnt look good.

The ones I'm using now are in a box but they are neat with teams colours in the background. they look decent. They are also available for virtually every them in the world: heres the link, they are organised by european and rest of the world leagues:

http://www.fmformation.net/downloads.php?do=cat&id=141

Personally I've downloaded them all. Even teams with existing badges so they all match. IMO it looks good I prefer to have all the badges that way.

Hope that helps. It is definately the most extensive and complete range of logos ive found.

Edit: [here is an example- you won't see black edges though]

152_3h2_thumb.png

jamboinglasgow

hey has anyone here ever tried to edit the game using the game editor?

I tried it just for laugh so now I have two games, one proper (unedited) and one for a laugh.

Edited the most recent updated verson so that Scotland had amazing players in the game, all 16 years old at the begining. Most were at Hearts but others were at AC Milian, Barca, Real Madrid, Ajax, Liverpool and Aresnal. I put myself in the game (ok so I am egotistical) but also put my brothers, my nephew, my kb nickname (a defender called Jamboin Glasgow but known in the game as Glasgae) some uni friends, even a few kickbackers are on it (I needed names for footballers.) Even updated the states of two hearts players, Scott Robinson who is now the greatest striker in the world as every team are after him and Dylan McGowen.

Tynecastle has 60,000 seats but is getting upgraded to a 75,000 seater stadium after 1 season. Hearts have ?170 million and a transfer budget of ?99 million. However after 1 season only spent ?30 million of that, ?10 million on Thiago from Barca and the rest on promising 16 year olds to put in the youths.

Every club in the SPL, 1st division and four clubs from the second have top youth facilities.

After one season Hearts won the League, CIS and Scottish cup. They won every game and had 162 league goals scored and 15 conceded. Top Scorer had 42. It was great beating Rangers 9-0 in the semi-final of the scottish cup with Robinson scoring 6.

I know people will accuse me of destroying the fun of the game, well I do play a proper game as hearts as well, just when I am fed up Celtic winning everything I can change to this game to get a break.

thats a bit excessive is it not jamboinglasgow. My idea of a mess about game is giving hearts a big load of cash but letting the rest sort itself out. What I've done a few times in the past is create a fantasy club (midlothian or edinburgh FC) and entered them into english conference with a few quid. Take them to the top.

jamboinglasgow
thats a bit excessive is it not jamboinglasgow. My idea of a mess about game is giving hearts a big load of cash but letting the rest sort itself out. What I've done a few times in the past is create a fantasy club (midlothian or edinburgh FC) and entered them into english conference with a few quid. Take them to the top.

I know its excessive, but I wanted to try it out, and its fun to see people I know playing for Hearts and Scotland. THough almost everyone of them as the ending inho, ino or ario like Brazlian footballers.

Goose Baxter

Right guys i need some striker / tatics help

I am hearts at the moment and am sitting 2nd in the league.

i play a 4-2-2-1-1 formation with 2 dmc and 2 wingers. Now the problem i have is my striker (s) that i play are not scoring. Getting loads of goals from the midfield players and am wining my games so i am not that fussed but i think my top striker has scored 3 goals. I have set the tatics for the striker to target man and have placed it on striker as well.

Can anyone give me a bit advice on what best settings to use for a loan striker.

JamboRossi79

Jamie Mole scored 42 goals in one season for me and also Kostadinov scored a few when I loaned him back to us. John Fleck and Jamie Murphy also really good.

Another name for AMC is Anton Sosnin, absolute quality.

I will post my transfers in and out (I have lost loads of my great players for nothing over the last two seasons :mad:) when I get home tonight.

JamboRossi79

Transfers 07/08

trans0708dc1.jpg

Transfers 08/09

trans0809pp1.jpg

Transfers 09/10

trans0910fc3.jpg

Transfers 10/11

trans1011ws0.jpg

Transfers 11/12

trans1112wo2.jpg

Transfers 12/13

trans1213no1.jpg

jamboinglasgow

out of interest does anyone here use a 4-3-3 tactic when they play the game? I am using one which I like alot, found it on one of the sites for FM2008.

it is a 4-3-3 when attack turns into a 4-1-3-2. Where one midfield stays in the middle then two move into the attacking center midfield postion and one of the forward drops backs back. As long as you have two forwards or even wingers, one striker who can drop back it works well. I now look for forwards/wingers for my team rather then strikers.

out of interest does anyone here use a 4-3-3 tactic when they play the game? I am using one which I like alot, found it on one of the sites for FM2008.

it is a 4-3-3 when attack turns into a 4-1-3-2. Where one midfield stays in the middle then two move into the attacking center midfield postion and one of the forward drops backs back. As long as you have two forwards or even wingers, one striker who can drop back it works well. I now look for forwards/wingers for my team rather then strikers.

No, but I did experiment with a 3-1-3-2-1 "xmas tree" formation a while ago.

~~GK~~

DC DC DC

~~DM~~

MC MC MC

AMC~AMC

~~FC~~

Passing very short, width very narrow. Seemed to work okay. It's basically a 3-6-1. Alot of possession.

HMFCjamieHMFC

I did use 4-3-3 in my old nottingham forest game

I use a formation similar to that:

4-4-2, but when attacking, the two wide midfielders push forward up the wing, but if needed, one of the strikers can drop back to an AM position...

Im into 2nd season with Newcastle UTD, Just finished 3rd (begind Arsenal and Man utd) won the league cup, found a couple of great players, Luka Modric cost me 5m upfront and 5m in 24 months just turned down 29m from man utd, also collocini from deportivo (release clause 7.75m) averaged 8.60 for 1st season and ac milan wanted him for 19m + inzhagi!! Obafemi Martins is a machine, 42 goals in 37 games.

My team is currently,

Given

Taylor (ex portsmouth)

Collocini

Evans (on loan man utd)

Enrique

Butt

Modric

Barton

Duff

Martins

Eddie Johnson (usa)

Just finished the 3nd season with Newcastle (on V8.02) won the FA and UEFA 2nd season only League Cup 3rd Season and was offered the Liverpool job at end of 3rd - which I took because I spent all Newcastle's money and they wanted to Win the title. Liverpool finished 9th when i took over so the expectations are low.

Best season(s) i've had on FM2008 by far. I've never been offered a high profile job like Liverpool! I'm struggling though....

Say What Again
how do change the backround ?

ive got a skin but a dont know how to change

help anyone ?

I think it's in options-> preferences-> display and sound

It's something along those lines

HMFCjamieHMFC
how do change the backround ?

ive got a skin but a dont know how to change

help anyone ?

where did you out the skin after you downloaded it

HMFCjamieHMFC
My Documents/Sports Interactive/Football Manager 2008/skins

I think

i know where to put it but i was wondering if forrie_1 knew

HMFCjamieHMFC

options-> preferences-> display and sound-> untick use skin cache-> tick always reload skin on confirm-> then press confirm

• 2 weeks later...

Bumpty bump.

Had to trawl through seven pages of Shed till I found this. Dont want to have to do that again. And yes I do know about the search facility but I dont think much of it.

So there!

:)

Don't want to trawl thru all 14 pages, but will let you all know of a superstar I have just signed to West Ham in an EPL online game I am playing.

Marek Sapara from Rosenborg.

Found him by accident when scouting for a free kick and corner taker. The lad is amazing. Just gone into October online and he has already scored 6 goals and has 4 assists. Get in quick as he can be had for ?1.3m and is well worth it.

anyone signed a guy called Pecnik? serbian i think? D. Utd signed him for 95k in my game and he's an absolute star, i just signed him for 1.5m

Has anyone ever had to re-sign a player you let go, because he turned into a better player while he was away?

I've re-signed David Templeton, and he's now started scoring some goals for me.

(He just scored a hat-trick against the vermin, so is a current favourite!)

Going through a wee bit of a slump at the moment though - spreading myself too thin between the league and UEFA cup. However, I didn't qualify from my UEFA group this season, so I can concentrate on the league now.

Just sold my keeper (and captain) - Iain Turner - for ?2m (bought him for 750k)

(Ibby Tall is now my captain)

jamboinglasgow
Has anyone ever had to re-sign a player you let go, because he turned into a better player while he was away?

I've re-signed David Templeton, and he's now started scoring some goals for me.

(He just scored a hat-trick against the vermin, so is a current favourite!)

Going through a wee bit of a slump at the moment though - spreading myself too thin between the league and UEFA cup. However, I didn't qualify from my UEFA group this season, so I can concentrate on the league now.

Just sold my keeper (and captain) - Iain Turner - for ?2m (bought him for 750k)

(Ibby Tall is now my captain)

In my FM2007 game, I found a young dutch player called Henk Lams (i think, had two dutch players with Henk as a name) anyway he looked reall good as a left midfielder but got a ?10 million bid from Man City and so I let him go as had next transfer clause of 30%. Anyway a few seasons later Romanov goes banging on about how I need to get someone big for my team or else he will buy someone. I didn't want this as he will probably get somone in a posistion I have enough people in already. He does at the end, spending ?17m on a player, you guessed it, Henk Lams. So got an AML player when that was the posistion I had most players for.

Plus the next sale percentage was useless :(

just started a new game with hearts. Trying to keep it 'realistic'.

Looking for youth and hopefully I'll build for the future.

Except for Larry I've got rid of all the big earners. Most players are on a couple of grand max.

brought in Lomaia the Georgia keeper in as backup. Plus Rocco Quinn, Daryl Murphy and a few boys from the Scotland under17s squad. Archie Campbell (16) and Gary Glen (17) is my strike force.

Glen is on fulltime contract ?100 p/w for me, driver is only on ?500 and Bruno on ?700.

I'll clear that debt! ;)

By the way does anyone know how good Eggy gets? in first season been offered ?2.5m but i'll hold on if he gets better?

• 3 weeks later...

Into my 2nd season with Hearts, sh*tting all over the SPL so far.

Including 8 goals against the Old Firm, with no replies:

Huns.jpg

Sellick.jpg

League table:

LeagueTable-1.jpg

Ivan Drago
just started a new game with hearts. Trying to keep it 'realistic'.

Looking for youth and hopefully I'll build for the future.

Except for Larry I've got rid of all the big earners. Most players are on a couple of grand max.

brought in Lomaia the Georgia keeper in as backup. Plus Rocco Quinn, Daryl Murphy and a few boys from the Scotland under17s squad. Archie Campbell (16) and Gary Glen (17) is my strike force.

Glen is on fulltime contract ?100 p/w for me, driver is only on ?500 and Bruno on ?700.

I'll clear that debt! ;)

By the way does anyone know how good Eggy gets? in first season been offered ?2.5m but i'll hold on if he gets better?

I got offered over 3m for Eggert at the end of the first season, and VR accepted it! I think i would have accepted it anyway tbh.

Started a Hearts save the other day. PLayed 15 games and sitting top with a 4 point cushion over Celtic. My one defeat came against Gretna. 2 nil up. Got beat 4-3.

And then I go out and beat Celtic 2-0.

My team is:

Alexandr Sulima

Arthur Sorin

Ibrahim Tall

Christophe Berra

Jose Goncalves

Ruben Palazeulos

Bruno Aguiar

Laryea Kingston

Chris Eagles

Agustin Delgado

Andrius Velicka

Subs:

Steve Banks

Maruis Zaliukas

Ryan McGowan

Micahel Stewart

Nacer Barizte

Maruicio Pinilla

Bogdan Stancu

Although I am haemorrhaging money left, right and centre. My wage bill is 1.2k (Or something or other) over and that is after selling Neilson for ?1.4m and Elliot for ?750k. Letting McCann and Makela go and sending out a few other on loan including Pospisil and Jonsson.

I reckon I will just have to sell players like Karipidis, Stewart etc in the window

Started a Hearts save the other day. PLayed 15 games and sitting top with a 4 point cushion over Celtic. My one defeat came against Gretna. 2 nil up. Got beat 4-3.

And then I go out and beat Celtic 2-0.

My team is:

Alexandr Sulima

Arthur Sorin

Ibrahim Tall

Christophe Berra

Jose Goncalves

Ruben Palazeulos

Bruno Aguiar

Laryea Kingston

Chris Eagles

Agustin Delgado

Andrius Velicka

Subs:

Steve Banks

Maruis Zaliukas

Ryan McGowan

Micahel Stewart

Nacer Barizte

Maruicio Pinilla

Bogdan Stancu

Although I am haemorrhaging money left, right and centre. My wage bill is 1.2k (Or something or other) over and that is after selling Neilson for ?1.4m and Elliot for ?750k. Letting McCann and Makela go and sending out a few other on loan including Pospisil and Jonsson.

I reckon I will just have to sell players like Karipidis, Stewart etc in the window

My results this season go as follows:

Hearts 4 : 0 Killie;

Livingston 0 : 2 Hearts;

Hearts 4 : 0 Rangers;

St Mirren 1 : 2 Hearts;

Hearts 1 : 0 Motherwell;

Falkirk 0 : 3 Hearts;

AEK Athens 4 : 3 Hearts;

Hearts 4 : 0 Celtic;

Gretna 2 : 3 Hearts;

Hibernian 0 : 2 Hearts;

Hearts 4 : 1 AEK Athens;

Hearts 4 : 1 Inverness;

Niculae is banging them in this season, as is Dica.

Transfers 08/09:

Transfers.jpg

I (Vlad) sold Dumitru copil for ?7.5million, he went back to Romania. I bought him back a year later for ?1.6million, a good deal all round I felt as he was 19 when he left, got a years experience including Champions League games under his belt and came back a better player.

That's how the debt'll go down!

not played in a while, since my game crashed in my 5th season and ruined it for me.

Who are the must haves this time round? For a team like Hearts? Anyone close to being as good as Freddy William Thompson or Mark Collis? Andri Sigborrson or Ferrara Orosco?

Hearts of Vladland

Does anyone have good coaches for Hearts?

Can't be botherd gooing through like 14 pages

If you look up the staff for Scotland you can get Aitken for nothing. Motherwell have alot of good coaches aswell.

Guest juvehearts

best thing to do is start up the game & do it yourself then when you make a sucess of it come back on here & post it.

if its your 1st FM game then makes it all more special, if not then shame on you should know all the players by now.

I've just finished top of a Champions League group, containing Bayern Munich, AS Roma and Zenit St Petersburg.

ChampionsLeague.jpg

Beat Zenit 4-1 at Tynecastle and 2-0 in Russia.

Beat Roma 3-2 in Rome and 2-1 at Tynecastle.

Drew 2-2 with Bayern at home and lost 4-0 away.

Awaiting my opponents in the last 16.

Archived