FM2008 thread

From Perth to Paisley

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply
jamboinglasgow

just for a laugh, I used the data editor to fool about with the game, making hearts have ?100 million and a 55,000 tynecastle. I created a wonderkid for Hearts who is Scottish, N. Irish and Brazilian. Played a season and Hearts now have 6 Brazilian wonderkids playing at them and using a Barca style 4-3-3. Obviously won the league. Great fun though. When I get bored I will go back to my proper game.

After a struggling to make an impact in season one and in actual fact doing worse than that I decided to sack Frail and bring in Tony Whelan (Man Utd Youth Coach) as assistant manager. I also utilised the Arsenal_Untouchables tactic and CMFrenzy's training schedule, early indications seem to be that it has brought a great deal of stability to the team and I am now looking to build on that.

Anyone else used this tactic?

Also, as a side note, how good is Dimitriu Copil? :)

Yep - I use that training schedule and sometimes that tactic.

Worked great for me so far:

2nd in the league last season (2011/12)

Won the Leaue cup last night, and am in 3rd, 1 point away from 2nd so far this season.

jamboinglasgow
Yep - I use that training schedule and sometimes that tactic.

Worked great for me so far:

2nd in the league last season (2011/12)

Won the Leaue cup last night, and am in 3rd, 1 point away from 2nd so far this season.

I've used the aresnal_untouchables but mainly use the wayno_442 tactic from the pack.

JamboFamily

my hearts dream team

1.bouzanis

2.duplus

3.goncalves

4.berra

5.mcgowan

6.thaigo

7torge

8.ohara

9.eddie johnson lost him 4 12 million scores loads

10.russotto

11.moralez

won league 3times cups and champ league

kostidinov copil kingston driver aartilo lomski who turns out 2 b lethal on bench

I've used the aresnal_untouchables but mainly use the wayno_442 tactic from the pack.

Actually, I also have some custom training schedules as well - so that will be helping also.

The reason I mentioned the Arsenal untouchables tactic is that although it stabilised my team, I am still not winning enough matches, or scoring enough goals, I drew 3 games in a row 0-0. Also it seems to work at home more often but away to the stronger teams I still struggle. Anyone got any suggestions?

Pinillia is a greeting faced see u next tuesday as well! :(

The reason I mentioned the Arsenal untouchables tactic is that although it stabilised my team, I am still not winning enough matches, or scoring enough goals, I drew 3 games in a row 0-0. Also it seems to work at home more often but away to the stronger teams I still struggle. Anyone got any suggestions?

Pinillia is a greeting faced see u next tuesday as well! :(

Don't get me wrong - I'm not all-conquering!!

I'm probably now on a par with Rangers in my game, but I still regularly get horsed by Celtic whenever I play them...

The Old Tolbooth

I started again after winning the cup with Hearts, finishing second in the league, qualifying for the CL group stages, and proceeding to lose every game!

In my second seasons league campaign I struggled after the board sold 5 top players from under me which left me with a wad of cash, but no bloody team! I finished 7th in the league and my contract wasnt renewed and I ended up at Q.O.S (which I may go back to later).

Started a new season and my team is

Basso (for some reason he is brilliant for me!)

Wallace

Goncalves (Amazing)

Berra

Sorin (amazing)

Driver (amazing)

Ruben

Distel Zola

Kingston

Aaritalo

Kostadinov

Also got Wilkie who seems to be very decent, Rapnik is brilliant cover for Goncalves, Bruno is very good too and I bring him in against the smaller teams when I dont need a holding midfielder.

So far top of the league by 4 points after 8 league games and Celtic are in 5th place, with Rangers in 9th!!

heartsforglory
Kostadinov always rejects me for Ripo. I might try and take Stoke up, that's the great thing about The Championship, if you can get to the play offs anything can happen. Stoke will no doubt be p!sh in the game :laugh:

no mate stoke are great in game i got them to prem in one season,i could reccomend players;)

Goose Baxter
Don't get me wrong - I'm not all-conquering!!

I'm probably now on a par with Rangers in my game, but I still regularly get horsed by Celtic whenever I play them...

Is it just me or does anyone seem to always get humped the 1st time they play celtic?

I always get beat at least 5-0

Is it just me or does anyone seem to always get humped the 1st time they play celtic?

Not quite always but usually. Although the way my team has been performing this season, I could've been humped by just about everyone.

End of season 1 and it went as follows:

SPL - Finished 5th.

Scottish Cup finalists - Beaten 3-0 by Rangers. Highlight of the cup run was a 5-1 over Hibernian in the semi final which was curiously played at Tulloch Stadium, Inverness!

Qualified for the Intertoto Cup!

I've got Fisher Athletic from the Conference South in England all the way up to the Championship. My policy is youth so most of my players are computer generated.

HMFCjamieHMFC
I've got Fisher Athletic from the Conference South in England all the way up to the Championship. My policy is youth so most of my players are computer generated.

i done that in the last game

Zali Cinnamon

Anyone looking for a dirt-cheap striker, try Dalibor Volas from Slovenia. I'm in season 2010/11 and he's never averaged less than a goal a game since signing him in the first pre-season for about ?35,000. Might be hard to find unless you've got the large database enabled though.

Adrian Hora is excellent too, half of Europe are trying to nab him off me and it's a matter of time 'til Vlad starts accepting bids.

Zali Cinnamon

Can usually do them at Tynie but struggle a bit at the Piggery. That might be more to do with my tactics though. They get stupidly rich a couple of seasons in too so it's hard to compete.

Rangers seem to get a hell of a lot of dodgy penalties against me too, can't knock it for realism I suppose.

Say What Again
They get stupidly rich a couple of seasons in too so it's hard to compete.

I found that in the 2nd season, both of the OF were shelling out fortunes for players.

Rangers paid ?13.5 million for Craig Gordon.

I feel like I've betrayed my country...

After guiding Hearts to 2nd place in the league, 2 seasons running (and Scotland exiting the 2012 Euro Championships, despite beating England), I was offered the Scotland job in my game last night.

It was part-time, as I could be Hearts manager at the same time, but I turned it down.

So instead, they have appointed......................................

John Collins!

I've just started playing this one and im absolutely gash at it - how the hell do i win games!?

So far i've tried and failed with Bristol City, AC Milan and Stafford. Just started a game with Hearts and had to turn it off coz i was getting pumped 3-0 at half time! (not even going to say who it was, needless to say i was disgusted)

Rightyo,

Got the best ever anniversary present yesterday, so I'm just downloading the patch before I get started.

Will prob start as macclesfield Town cos they're my wee English team and it's good to build up from the bottom.

Will hopefully be able to apply for the Hearts job from there after a few successful seasons with the Silkmen.

;)

Say What Again

The best ?200k I've ever spent in FM2008

mifsuddg9.jpg

The other part of the most successful front pairing I've had in FM2008

brannypv5.jpg

63 league goals between them for a total of ?265,000.

I've got Allan Johnstone as another Hearts connection and Steve Banks coming in as player/coach.

Say What Again
I've got Allan Johnstone as another Hearts connection and Steve Banks coming in as player/coach.

Just let my youth coaches go and replaced them with Paul McStay and Alec Cleland :nuts:

The Old Tolbooth

Kostadinov and Marius Niculae are awesome up front, I pinched Niculae from ICT for 95K!!!

Also Bruno and Ruben in the middle along with Kingston are superb.

DerbyDay.jpg[/img]

Imagine going through that.

What's that skin called - it looks nice.

Decided to stick with the Arsenal untouchables tactic for my second season in charge of the famous. And it went a lot better, the tactic almost lived up to its name.

SPL - Finished 3rd. Lead the way for most of the season.

Scottish Cup - Beaten 2-1 by Hibs in the quarter final replay.

League Cup - Beaten finalists. Lost to Rangers 1-0 in the final.

UEFA Cup (progressed from Intertoto) - Knocked out in the 1st round by Rapid Bucharesti.

I had signed Neil Alexander as first choice keeper from Rangers and the guy was immense , made a real difference to the team. Another plus was Christos Karypidis who scored 20 goals from CB, he kept heading in corners, not sure if its a bug in the game cos thats a lot of goals for your CB to be scoring! But I'll take it.

Decided to stick with the Arsenal untouchables tactic for my second season in charge of the famous. And it went a lot better, the tactic almost lived up to its name.

SPL - Finished 3rd. Lead the way for most of the season.

Scottish Cup - Beaten 2-1 by Hibs in the quarter final replay.

League Cup - Beaten finalists. Lost to Rangers 1-0 in the final.

UEFA Cup (progressed from Intertoto) - Knocked out in the 1st round by Rapid Bucharesti.

I had signed Neil Alexander as first choice keeper from Rangers and the guy was immense , made a real difference to the team. Another plus was Christos Karypidis who scored 20 goals from CB, he kept heading in corners, not sure if its a bug in the game cos thats a lot of goals for your CB to be scoring! But I'll take it.

Ibby Tall does exactly that for me - good for at least 15 goals/season!!

(near post headers into the net)

Ibby Tall does exactly that for me - good for at least 15 goals/season!!

(near post headers into the net)

Aye, near post every time. On many occasions that has been the sole contributor to me winning matches.

Say What Again

Like Bry and Praha, it was Tall at the near post for me as well - though nowhere near 20!!

I think he got 7 in the first season and 6 in the second.

The Old Tolbooth
Like Bry and Praha, it was Tall at the near post for me as well - though nowhere near 20!!

I think he got 7 in the first season and 6 in the second.

I sold Karypidis to Falkirk and let Talls contract expire to free up wages.

I qualified for the CL group stages by knocking out Rapid Bucharest 5-1 on aggregate and so far only played 1 group game where I was humped 4-1 away to Inter.

Bloody old firm keep trying to pinch my players so I just price them out the market, however Celtic bid 6.5M for Sorin and Vlad sold him from under me the tosser!

I qualified for the Uefa Cup group stage last night.

I've finished 2nd in the league 2 seasons running, but never yet managed to qualify for the Champions League.

Last season, I got beat in the last CL qualifier against Galatasaray, then dropped to the UEFA cup, and got beat again.

This season, I lost again in the last CL qualifier, and dropped to the UEFA to play..... Galatasaray!

Beat them 2-1 at Tynie, and then went to Turkey...

Went 1-0 up, and then they equalised, and scored again in the second half, to put the game into extra time.

We ended up winning extra-time 2-1, for a 3-3 result, and a 5-4 win on aggregate!

Next time I play, I should get the group stages draw...

Say What Again
Next time I play, I should get the group stages draw...

I hope you get a better draw than I did the 1st time I got to the UEFA groups with Hearts, I got a stinker.

It was something like:

Roma

Marseille

West Ham

Hearts

Austria Vienna

and I finished 2nd bottom. :(

Season 3 kicked off yesterday for me with a rather up and down pre season. So far I have played 9 league games won 7 and drawn 2. Also knocked out Sporting Lisbon 5-3 on agg in the UEFA Cup 1st round to qualify for the UEFA Group stages. I got drawn with Toulouse, Besiktas, Tottenham and CSKA Moscow.

All in all I am unbeaten up to October 14th. Long may it continue.

:)

The Old Tolbooth
I hope you get a better draw than I did the 1st time I got to the UEFA groups with Hearts, I got a stinker.

It was something like:

Roma

Marseille

West Ham

Hearts

Austria Vienna

I was drawn with Seville, Inter Milan and Stuttgart in the CL group stages, I dont even have a chance of parachuting into the yoofa cup because although I'm neck and neck with smeltic in the league, I keep getting pumped silly in the CL.

I wonder how smeltic can win games in the CL when I can beat them in the league and I cant pick up a point for love nor money. :confused:

Say What Again

Having guided Bristol Rovers to the League 1 title and into the Championship, it meant the return of the Bristol derby.

I think they can start work on the statue of me outside the ground now!!

PS - GIRUY Ivan Sproule :cool:

derbysa5.jpg

In the start of my 2nd season, I've done a complete clear out.

The Liths are gone, Karapidis, Jose, Wallace, Tall, Kingston, Bednar, Mole, Makela, Nade, Pinilla, Stewart, Ruben, Bruno, Elliot, Basso, Neilson and a whole lot of the reserves have been punted.

With the resulting cash, I've brought in:

Geir Olav Fiske - Free, going to be something special.

Carlos Aliaga - ?150k, right back to replace Tall.

Xisco Nadal - ?325k, striker. Bound to be a million times better than Makela.

Guillermo Burdisso - ?18k, centre back.

Bastien Geiger - ?65k, defensive midfielder.

Pablo Mazza - ?2k, striker.

Kevin Cawley - ?20k, attacking midfielder from Celtic.

Jonas Elmer - ?80k left back.

Jonathon Bru - Free, DM.

Thomas Heurteaux - Free, DC.

Jens Grahl - ?3k, GK.

Lukas Kuban - ?1.5m, DRL.

I'm now blooding the youngsters as well.

Average squad age is 20 years old.

It was something like:

Roma

Marseille

West Ham

Hearts

Austria Vienna

Group G:

Arsenal

Ajax

Dinamo Kiev

Anderlecht

Hearts (we were "seeded" in pot 5)

I'm not holding out much hope...

In the same draw, Rangers got:

Fiorentina

Partizan

Rangers

Lille

Maniospor

Group G:

Arsenal

Ajax

Dinamo Kiev

Anderlecht

Hearts (we were "seeded" in pot 5)

I'm not holding out much hope...

Match Day 1:

Arsenal 4 - 0 Dinamo Kiev

Hearts 3 - 1 Anderlecht

A great start...! :)

Match Day 1:

Arsenal 4 - 0 Dinamo Kiev

Hearts 3 - 1 Anderlecht

A great start...! :)

Matchday 2:

Dinamo Kiev 0 - 4 Hearts

Anderlecht 2 - 2 Ajax

The trophy's mine!!!!!

Goose Baxter

Thinkig about getting the old fm07 out so i can go hearts and play with big Rudi, Hartley and gordon etc. I loved playing hearts in that game.

Started again from my last save (just before the first game of the season where i got pumped), and doing a lot better this time, only just behind Celtic in the league and only lost twice, away to both Celtic and ****. Won every game at home, including against Rangers.

Only two major signings are some Belarussian guy caled Korot'ko or something like that, right sided midfielder, and a guy called Dary Murphy, an absolute bargain from Sunderland - valued at 2.1million and got him for 300,000.

My first XI looks like this:

Banks

Jose

Berra

Tall

Robbie

Driver

Jonsson

Kingston

Koroto'ko

Nade

Murphy

Board still not happy tho as i said id win the league.

Also, im losing money at a ridiculous rate despite being well uinder my wage budget - anyone ne idea why?

Started again from my last save (just before the first game of the season where i got pumped), and doing a lot better this time, only just behind Celtic in the league and only lost twice, away to both Celtic and ****. Won every game at home, including against Rangers.

Only two major signings are some Belarussian guy caled Korot'ko or something like that, right sided midfielder, and a guy called Dary Murphy, an absolute bargain from Sunderland - valued at 2.1million and got him for 300,000.

Banks

Jose

Berra

Tall

Robbie

Driver

Jonsson

Kingston

Koroto'ko

Nade

Murphy

Also, im losing money at a ridiculous rate despite being well uinder my wage budget - anyone ne idea why?[/QUOTE]

That could be down to your bonuses.

win bonuses, goal bonuses, clean sheet bonuses, appearance bonuses.....they all add up!

Started again from my last save (just before the first game of the season where i got pumped)' date=' and doing a lot better this time, only just behind Celtic in the league and only lost twice, away to both Celtic and ****. Won every game at home, including against Rangers.

Banks

Jose

Berra

Tall

Robbie

Driver

Jonsson

Kingston

Koroto'ko

Nade

Murphy

[b']Also, im losing money at a ridiculous rate despite being well uinder my wage budget - anyone ne idea why?[/[/b]QUOTE]

That could be down to your bonuses.

win bonuses, goal bonuses, clean sheet bonuses, appearance bonuses.....they all add up!

hmmm....so what you're saying is, i need to start losing games? ;)

hmmm....so what you're saying is, i need to start losing games? ;)

No.....just don't have so many prima donna greedy bassa players!

Either that or play guys who have low bonus payments.

Or just win lots of things and let the prize money save you.

Or if you're really desperate, arrange loads of friendlies between your reserves and U19s. Each friendly will generate a few grand as the fans will turn out to see it.

It also helps your reserves and injured player stay match fit......the reserve league games are far too far apart to do this.

Managed to qualify in 3rd place from my UEFA Cup Group. Tottenham came 1st with Toulouse 2nd.

Lost to Spurs and Toulouse but beat Besiktas and CSKA Moscow. Still top of the SPL, one point ahead of Celtic.

Have drawn Marseille in the UEFA 1st ko round with Osasuna or Man Utd awaiting the winner in the next round.

Matchday 2:

Dinamo Kiev 0 - 4 Hearts

Anderlecht 2 - 2 Ajax

The trophy's mine!!!!!

Matchday 3:

Hearts 1 - 2 Arsenal

In goals for Arsenal............... Craig Gordon!

Still top of the group on goal difference, but Arsenal and Ajax have a game in hand.

No.....just don't have so many prima donna greedy bassa players!

Either that or play guys who have low bonus payments.

Or just win lots of things and let the prize money save you.

Or if you're really desperate, arrange loads of friendlies between your reserves and U19s. Each friendly will generate a few grand as the fans will turn out to see it.

It also helps your reserves and injured player stay match fit......the reserve league games are far too far apart to do this.

:thumb:

I blame Vlad :P

Does Copil get good in the game? I had a bit of a midfield crisis so chucked him in the first team in the first season and he scored twice and got MOTM away to Aberdeen!!

Set up 2 goals v the Hobo's too

The Old Tolbooth
:thumb:

I blame Vlad :P

Does Copil get good in the game? I had a bit of a midfield crisis so chucked him in the first team in the first season and he scored twice and got MOTM away to Aberdeen!!

Set up 2 goals v the Hobo's too

I was the same, had a bit of a crisis in the middle and put him in at attacking central midfield and he's been a revelation! Bruno might struggle to get back in when he gets fit.

I was the same, had a bit of a crisis in the middle and put him in at attacking central midfield and he's been a revelation! Bruno might struggle to get back in when he gets fit.

I've been playing him on the right and in 3 games he's been my best midfileder by far.

Bruno, Stewart and Ruben have all been poor for me so punted Bruno and Stewart,was going to bring in Husband for a shot but he got injured

Archived