FM2008 thread

From Perth to Paisley

Started a new game. Finished 7th first season but won the League Cup. Fans love me, board does not.

Team at the moment is -

Banks

Albrechtsen--McGowan--Berra--Goncalves

Kingston----Palazuelos

Alex--------------------------Halmosi

Lennon----Kostadinov

Bench: Daniels, Neilson, Karipidis, Cesnauskis, Nade, Pinilla, Velicka.

Currently 3rd in October.

Play the youths in the league cup (and at the end of the season when I had nothing to play for - ended up winning 5 out of my last 8). Use this formation:

Banks

Neilson--McGowan--Rapnik--Wallace

Jonsson--Copil

Visconte

Glen--Kostadinov--Templeton

Managed to beat Livingston 6-0 away. Definitely a good strategy.

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How do you get rid of players who are in contract that you don't want to keep?

I've offered them to clubs and transfer listed them, but still no enquiries, do I need to terminate the contacts and pay them off? That wont do my budget any good...

Say What Again
I've offered them to clubs and transfer listed them, but still no enquiries, do I need to terminate the contacts and pay them off? That wont do my budget any good...

If nobody wants them then the only other option is to release on a free or offer a mutual termination.

Have you tried putting there value way down (even to ?0) before you offer them to clubs?

Unfortunately, you can't force clubs to want your **** players ;)

Team 3 - got a transfer windfall, went nuts.

Pletikosa (free)

Hutton (?6.25m)--Jonsson--a Bulgarian who I forgot (?1.8m)--Marcos Martin (?2m)

Tymoschuk (?5.5m)

Bjarnason (?690k)---Alex (?3.7m)---Sergio Mota (?4m)

Kostadinov--Thiago (?7.1m)

Bench: McGovern (?30k), Neilson, Lennon (?350k), Stancu (?200k), Pinilla, Dimitrov (?1m), Kingston.

Season's 7 games old, 3rd at the moment. Got into the UEFA Cup through winning the SC. Beat Lokomotiv 5-4 away in the first leg. Branny scored 27 goals in 29 games last season.

Say What Again
Team 3 - got a transfer windfall, went nuts.

A windfall? You sure SI haven't added a feature to win the Euro Millions to the game? ;)

How did you end up with ?30+ million to spend by season 3? Have you any Hearts players left? :)

Have you tried putting there value way down (even to ?0) before you offer them to clubs?

That must be where I'm going wrong, I suppose wanting ?5million for Neilson is a bit much :eek:

A windfall? You sure SI haven't added a feature to win the Euro Millions to the game? ;)

How did you end up with ?30+ million to spend by season 3? Have you any Hearts players left? :)

Romanov invested ?21m in the team. I also sold Karipidis, Goncalves, Bednar, Berra and Driver for a total of ?11m.

Say What Again
Romanov invested ?21m in the team.

:mad:

He didn't do that during the 4 seasons I was there.

He did however ask me to resign when I applied for the Wigan job :sad:

:mad:

He didn't do that during the 4 seasons I was there.

He did however ask me to resign when I applied for the Wigan job :sad:

I was in real trouble. I managed to salvage 4th place from 8th in March, and won the Cup. They told me I wouldn't be getting a new deal but then I started winning and the press said they would panic. I managed to negotiate a new 3 year deal after the season ended and they were delighted with my loyalty, and gave me a huge transfer kitty when I said I wanted to win the league.

Dr. Sheldon Cooper

I am really getting annoyed at my game now. For my third season, the fixtures haven't been published so I can only play Cup and European games. Has this happened to anyone else? If so, did you just start a new game?

I am really getting annoyed at my game now. For my third season, the fixtures haven't been published so I can only play Cup and European games. Has this happened to anyone else? If so, did you just start a new game?

You need the patch

If you get the patch it would stop this. If you cant get the patch the game will generate the fixtures if you dont save the game between seasons.

The Old Tolbooth

I've got the same problem and the patch wont download and work properly for me, it cant find a programme to open it and I aint got a clue what to do.

My games going great.

Top of the table as champions 2011.

Team

McGregor

Dixon/Murray Steve Caldwell Sean St Ledger Bardsley

DM from Zenit Tymashuk (sp)(?6.5)

Stevenson/Hendrie LA Tellec/some spannish kiddo

Deano/Zemmama

Fletch Lafferty

In my first season of a new game.

Line up is currently:

Sulima

Wallace

Berra

McLean - From Motherwell.

Karapidis

Palazuelos

Dessena - From Parma

Larry

Driver

Stancu

Nade/Pinilla

Sitting 2nd after 13 games, 1 point behind Celtic, but with a superior goal difference.

Beat Hibs 5-2 at ER.

For all you experienced users out there - I have a question about skins...

I have now seen screenshots of lots of gorgeous looking skins.

I can download and install these skins no problem.

When I use them in the game, most of the text is un-readable, because the colour of the text is too close to the background.

However, when I look at the screenshots mentioned, all the text is in white, and therefore very readable - this is what I want.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong??

just started my new season and started with a 3-1 win at parkhead and a 3-0 win at home to the sheep with 10 men for most of the game. thumped serbian team 5-1 in the 2nd qual round of the UEFA cup. good start considering i only made 2 signings in the summer. birkir bjarnason 100k and kenneth stenild on a bosman. punted pospisil, tall and mccann on free transfers to free up 16k a week for wages.

vlad decided to sell wallace to pompey for 1mill and i sold elliot for 200k to sunderland. got bednar back and he scored against celtic on his return. :)

finished 4th in the 1st season 1 point behind falkirk.

team at the moment is

basso

sorin

goncalves

berra

zaliukas

bjarnason

driver

kingston

palazuelos

nade

pinilla/velicka/bednar

the_godfather

top of the league in jan, 1 point ahead of the huns

Sulima

Tall

Berra

Karipidis

Wallace

Bjarnason

Kingston

Jonnson

Driver

Nade

Torje

bjarnason thinks we will win the league without to much difficulty after beating hibs(who are 3rd) 1 nil after a injury time goal

Say What Again
I've got the same problem and the patch wont download and work properly for me, it cant find a programme to open it and I aint got a clue what to do.

Sorry John, I didn't notice you'd had problems with the patch.

You'll need winzip or winrar to unpack the file you downloaded:

Download winzip here.

When you have winzip installed, double-click on the FM update you downloaded and extract the file to your desktop. Double-click on the file on your desktop and it should install the update automatically (you may have to click 'update' or something like that).

Let me know if you're still having problems.

The Old Tolbooth
Sorry John, I didn't notice you'd had problems with the patch.

You'll need winzip or winrar to unpack the file you downloaded:

Download winzip here.

When you have winzip installed, double-click on the FM update you downloaded and extract the file to your desktop. Double-click on the file on your desktop and it should install the update automatically (you may have to click 'update' or something like that).

Let me know if you're still having problems.

Yup, still having problems lol, I get a message saying theres an error when I tried to unzip it, dunno why.

It says Error: CRC mismatch in file

Say What Again
Yup, still having problems lol, I get a message saying theres an error when I tried to unzip it, dunno why.

It says Error: CRC mismatch in file

Nightmare!

I know it's a pain John, but downloading this version of the patch might take winzip out of the equation, just leaving you the .exe file to install.

You may want to give it a go?

http://204.155.67.168/patch/fm08/FM2008_v8.0.1_Patch.exe

Nightmare!

I know it's a pain John, but downloading this version of the patch might take winzip out of the equation, just leaving you the .exe file to install.

You may want to give it a go?

http://204.155.67.168/patch/fm08/FM2008_v8.0.1_Patch.exe

That's the one I used - although it takes longer to download (because it's not compressed into a zip file.)...

The Old Tolbooth

I'll give it a try after my next client has come and gone lads, its just a pain in the butt when you pay ?30 for a game that aint been manufactured properly.

Thanks again for yer help guys, I must be due you a pint JOH lol!

My team has seriously evolved into a European-dominating machine that loses 1-0 to Morton at home.

McGovern

Hutton --- Jonsson --- Rapnik --- M.Martin

Kingston ------ Alex

Cesnauskis ------------------ Sergio Mota

Glen ----- Thiago

Bench: Bjornsson, Visconte, Templeton, Le Tallec, Bjarnason, Dimitrov, Tymoschuk.

Bjarnason and Cesnauskis rotate, as do Tymo and Larry. Dimitrov, Visconte and Mota get a few games each. Branny has torn his calf muscle, and I sold Lennon so I stuck him in the reserves. Brought up Templeton, Glen and Damien Le Tallec from the reserves. Glen has been the most consistent, however, 2-0 down to Hibs with 15 mins left I stuck Le Tallec and Temps up front with Glen and Thiago. Le Tallec scored a header within a minute and Temps scored from 30 yards on 88 to equalise. Currently 2nd, 1 point off the top.

European games -

Beat Lokomotiv 7-5 on Aggregate (4-5 in first game, 2-1 in second)

then to the groups

Beat team I can't remember 3-0

Beat Sporting 1-0

Drew with Heerenveen 3-3

Drew with Red Star 3-3

Heres a couple of players to look out for at the start of the game. pablo piatti-hes a young argie att mid. got him for 250k at the start of the game an now ac an man u are after him for 12m!!! only got him coz i offered him top wages an garunteed first team footie, beware ur competin wi big clubs for him but believe me hes worth it!!! an Erik caner, cant remember his team but hes a left winger, awesome stats but is a bit pricey!! got him for bout 2.7mill i think?? agian seriously worth it!!

the_godfather

the best player to buy for hearts is a guy called

Gabriel Torje

romanian u21 WUNDERKID, scores for fun!!! also you can get MAuro Zarate for 3mil, he just didnt want tocome

I won the league yahoooooo!

Went down to the wire though. Had the chance to extend the gap to 5 points but threw a 1-0 lead away against Rangers and lost 2-1. Celtic got the gap to 2, then I drew the next game when they lost to Rangers.

Celtic were next, I was ahead on goal difference and by 3 points.

I lost 5-1. They went top with 1 game to play, the swing was massive. I had given up hope. Last day of the season, Celtic are 1-0 up at Inverness. I'm playing Hibs at Tynie. 0-0 at half time. Gary Glen and Branny, back from injury, get put on up front. I go 2-0 up, and back to the top of the league. Inverness equalise, but then Celtic score again.

Then with 3 mins to go, Beuzelin scored, Celtic were top again. Then Branny weaved his way past 4 defenders and rifled it home from 20 yards in the 92nd minute, just as Inverness equalise.

I win the title by 2 points, and then beat Rangers 3-2 in the cup final with a 90th minute goal from Alex. What a season.

Got to UEFA Cup 3rd round, lost 9-3 to Ajax on aggregate. Lost the first leg 6-0 so thought '**** it'. Went 4-1-5 in the 2nd leg, and went 2-0 up at half time. Thought I might do it! But they scored 3 times before Templeton scored a consolation. They learned from it though!

The Old Tolbooth
the best player to buy for hearts is a guy called

Gabriel Torje

romanian u21 WUNDERKID, scores for fun!!! also you can get MAuro Zarate for 3mil, he just didnt want tocome

Totally agree mate, the guys a revelation!!

I got him for 275k in my first game but had to start again and they wouldnt sell for less than 975k, still worth it though as I can punt Jose for 3M to make up for it.

Think i will wait until 8.0.2 is out before i start my Hearts game. Reading abotu Hearts games is makking me want to start one again.

Brazil is where it's at.

I've got 3 youngsters in my team, one in central midfield, one in left wing, one up front. 40 goals between them.

Branimir Kostadinov - 19

Gary Glen - 18

Thiago - 18

Alex - 14

Anatoliy Tymoschuk - 11 (from defensive midfield!!)

Martin Jiranek, who I signed for ?2.2m in January played 11 games and scored 6 times from defence too!

Brazil is where it's at.

I've got 3 youngsters in my team, one in central midfield, one in left wing, one up front. 40 goals between them.

Branimir Kostadinov - 19

Gary Glen - 18

Thiago - 18

Alex - 14

Anatoliy Tymoschuk - 11 (from defensive midfield!!)

Martin Jiranek, who I signed for ?2.2m in January played 11 games and scored 6 times from defence too!

Aye my brother's the same with Brazilians !

His team is full of them.

How much did Tymo cost you?

?5.5m. Worth every penny.

I've got a goalie from Brazil playing in Poland for me, getting a work permit too, and 2 more coming in the summer. They're worth it!

Look for ones with EU passports.

Exactamundo. The goalie is 19, but he's absolutely incredible. It's worth keeping him for 3 years in Poland.

I've got 6 feeder clubs now.

Kaunas

Ripo

Raith Rovers

Polonia Warszawa

Charlestown Battery (USA commercial link)

and a Japanese club that I can't remember the name of.

Now I need to wait for the money to flow!

Walter Payton
Exactamundo. The goalie is 19, but he's absolutely incredible. It's worth keeping him for 3 years in Poland.

I've got 6 feeder clubs now.

Kaunas

Ripo

Raith Rovers

Polonia Warszawa

Charlestown Battery (USA commercial link)

and a Japanese club that I can't remember the name of.

Now I need to wait for the money to flow!

Might be a daft question, but are the commercial links always worth it? The annual fee always seems pretty high and its hard to identify on the balance sheets exactly how much the link is worth to you.

Might be a daft question, but are the commercial links always worth it? The annual fee always seems pretty high and its hard to identify on the balance sheets exactly how much the link is worth to you.

Depends. I choose the clubs with the smaller fee, and it does make a difference.

I cant wait for the patch to come out :D

It will be great to have a good Eggert Jonsson in the team :D

He is good even without the update!

FM2008 is brutal in the transfer windows!

I've had to become h*bs........selling all my best players in every window because they refuse to sign new contracts, threaten to leave on Bosmans and/or put in transfer requests!

Replacing them is an entertaining challenge though......"work permit" is my new most hated phrase.

Still can't get rid of Pospisil though. Nobody wants to buy him, he won't agree to a mutual termination and I'm buggered if I'm gonna give him a golden handshake!

What a jobby.

Archived