Souttar signs pre-contract with Rangers (Super Thread)

Bazzas right boot

42 minutes ago, gregzy2k7 said:

My gut tells me he is away after not playing in scottish cup game, hopefully by early next week. Then we can all focus on Hearts and our best interests.

I think you are righr.  We'll get some money and he'll be off.

Cutting it fine to get a new striker but if we can't, too bad.

• Replies 6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Pasquale for King

• GinRummy

• Factuer Moi

• Bazzas right boot

7 hours ago, JackLadd said:

So they got four times market value for Patterson but offer derisory 300k for JS. Scum club.

I suppose we save a decent wage as well

11 hours ago, moonraker said:

Maybe put out a rumour that the injury was the result if an over enthusiastic tackle at training. Maybe a follow up statement that training at a club like Hearts is very physical. 

Who knows how the club formerly known as Rangers might feel about their investment being put at risk?

What investment?

Ex member of the SaS

Robbie says pay up or he will play against Celtic. It appears he was injured for the cup game? Not sure about that but we should cup tie him if they wait until summer.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/robbie-neilson-tells-rangers-to-pay-up-for-john-souttar-after-hearts-reject-bid-3537911

2 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

Robbie says pay up or he will play against Celtic. It appears he was injured for the cup game? Not sure about that but we should cup tie him if they wait until summer.

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hearts/robbie-neilson-tells-rangers-to-pay-up-for-john-souttar-after-hearts-reject-bid-3537911

If they wait till the summer, cup tying him won't make any difference !

4 minutes ago, Ex member of the SaS said:

If they wait until summer it doesn’t matter about cup tieing him or not

I hear that they’ve been told match our asking price or don’t bother coming back to us.The ball very much in their court.

Although I like that we are playing hard ball, I’m still hoping he leaves this window. Otherwise we get nothing for him in the summer and we have to spend money on him while he has recurring “ankle injuries” when it suits.

No longer active
1 hour ago, BackOfTheNet said:

Although I like that we are playing hard ball, I’m still hoping he leaves this window. Otherwise we get nothing for him in the summer and we have to spend money on him while he has recurring “ankle injuries” when it suits.

Even if it's sweeties we get?  From what I saw of his attitude v St Johnstone he will continue to do his best whilst in maroon and the squad is stronger with him. If we are serious about finishing top 3 then keep him - play him and his value to us will be where we finish in the league rather than a few 100k from Sevco now!!

2 minutes ago, George Cowie said:

Even if it's sweeties we get?  From what I saw of his attitude v St Johnstone he will continue to do his best whilst in maroon and the squad is stronger with him. If we are serious about finishing top 3 then keep him - play him and his value to us will be where we finish in the league rather than a few 100k from Sevco now!!

Not sure I’m buying all that tbh. I guess it depends whether you think we can finish third without him. I definitely do. 

10 minutes ago, George Cowie said:

See below

7 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Not sure I’m buying all that tbh. I guess it depends whether you think we can finish third without him. I definitely do. 

This. Moore (where was he yesterday by the way?) is a more than ample replacement at the RCB role, and we know Smith can play there too. And if get money for Souttar we can maybe even reinvest it in a defender too. Souttar is a good player, no question, but never in his Hearts career have I felt that our performances have severely dropped off because only he was out of the team.

11 hours ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

I think it'll be a paid loan rather than a transfer - that would save Rangers increasing his wages between now and May.  We could include a clause that prevents him being played against us. 

11 hours ago, WheatfieldWarrior said:

I think it'll be a paid loan rather than a transfer - that would save Rangers increasing his wages between now and May.  We could include a clause that prevents him being played against us. 

Why ? Barrie would tear him a new one, I’d want him to play he may be lauded as one of the best cbs in Scotland but that doesn’t say much IMO he’s not that good really he will have splinters in his arse warming their bench more than he plays

Hugh Keevins puts his oar in-

Craig Levein might have thought he was doing Hearts’ John Souttar a favour by publicly stating the player had to stay in Scotland, and sign for Rangers as a means of doing so, because a family member was seriously ill.

And I have no doubt the former Tynecastle manager was well intentioned while delivering his revelation on a radio programme.

But, really, has it come to this?

That you’ve got to publicise the most intimate details of a footballer’s private life in the hope of keeping a hostile crowd at bay?

Levein clearly thought introducing a human dimension into a professional matter such as the signing of a pre-contract agreement would have a conciliatory effect on a delicate situation.

He knows better now after Souttar was subjected to prolonged and profane abuse during Hearts’ home win over St Johnstone on Tuesday night.

A result that advanced Hearts’ ambition to play in European competition next season.

The verbal abuse came as no surprise to me because the principal voice from a Hearts podcast had told me on radio five days earlier that Souttar would get “battered” by some in the crowd for having committed his immediate future to Rangers.

To my way of thinking the information Levein had given out in between times amounted to a form of plea bargaining.

It was along the lines of: “If I tell you a sad story about John’s family could you go easy on him because the family is under a lot of pressure.”

I repeat, has it come to this? Illness has to be used as a plea for calm? What next, the production of a medical certificate to substantiate your story?

The disgruntled element among the Tynecastle support believe Souttar has betrayed the club who stood by him during three occasions of serious injury.

Which, I assume, strikes them as allowable grounds for accusing him of treachery and sentencing the player to an unspecified period of hostility.

But is it not the case John put his body on the line for Hearts to his severe injury and the possible endangerment of his future career? Souttar repaid the medical care and attention shown to him by the club by coming back and getting seriously injured time and time again in their service.

That is not betrayal. That’s bravery.

As Hearts’ game against Celtic on Wednesday, and the Edinburgh derby to come, loom into view, I am reminded of something the late Tommy Burns said to me when I was writing his biography.

On the subject of intense rivalry, he said: “One half hate you and the other half think they own you.”

If the Celtic and Hibs fans give Souttar what for, that comes under the heading of partisan behaviour and we can all live with that. But if the Hearts fans turn on him that is a continuation of their contempt for fair-minded behaviour.

Souttar has reserved the right to seek employment at the most favourable terms available to him – like any other worker selling his hire.

The last week has shown football is only elevated to a level of theatre and drama by the presence of large and loudly-heard crowds in their thousands.

In their absence, the brutal truth is the game is not much to write home about.

Supporters have been empowered to think their attendance is invaluable. And it is.

That’s not to say they’ve been weaponised to make someone’s life a misery because he’s agreed to terminate his employment at a
club after helping them achieve their professional goal.

No longer active
10 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

See below

This. Moore (where was he yesterday by the way?) is a more than ample replacement at the RCB role, and we know Smith can play there too. And if get money for Souttar we can maybe even reinvest it in a defender too. Souttar is a good player, no question, but never in his Hearts career have I felt that our performances have severely dropped off because only he was out of the team.

I agree with the Moore comment. My point was that the SQUAD is better with Souttar (It's not been a bad season so far eh ?). Injuries will happen and we will need JS in the run in. Can't rely on Halkett, Moore, Souttar all staying fit for the next 4 months. If on the other-hand we identify someone who wants to come to Hearts at CB to replace JS then getting funds for him will be advantageous. Otherwise he is worth more to us than the sweeties we will get for him.

7 minutes ago, Hearts007 said:

Craig Levein might have thought he was doing Hearts’ John Souttar a favour by publicly stating the player had to stay in Scotland, and sign for Rangers as a means of doing so, because a family member was seriously ill.

And I have no doubt the former Tynecastle manager was well intentioned while delivering his revelation on a radio programme.

That you’ve got to publicise the most intimate details of a footballer’s private life in the hope of keeping a hostile crowd at bay?

Levein clearly thought introducing a human dimension into a professional matter such as the signing of a pre-contract agreement would have a conciliatory effect on a delicate situation.

He knows better now after Souttar was subjected to prolonged and profane abuse during Hearts’ home win over St Johnstone on Tuesday night.

A result that advanced Hearts’ ambition to play in European competition next season.

The verbal abuse came as no surprise to me because the principal voice from a Hearts podcast had told me on radio five days earlier that Souttar would get “battered” by some in the crowd for having committed his immediate future to Rangers.

To my way of thinking the information Levein had given out in between times amounted to a form of plea bargaining.

It was along the lines of: “If I tell you a sad story about John’s family could you go easy on him because the family is under a lot of pressure.”

I repeat, has it come to this? Illness has to be used as a plea for calm? What next, the production of a medical certificate to substantiate your story?

The disgruntled element among the Tynecastle support believe Souttar has betrayed the club who stood by him during three occasions of serious injury.

Which, I assume, strikes them as allowable grounds for accusing him of treachery and sentencing the player to an unspecified period of hostility.

But is it not the case John put his body on the line for Hearts to his severe injury and the possible endangerment of his future career? Souttar repaid the medical care and attention shown to him by the club by coming back and getting seriously injured time and time again in their service.

As Hearts’ game against Celtic on Wednesday, and the Edinburgh derby to come, loom into view, I am reminded of something the late Tommy Burns said to me when I was writing his biography.

On the subject of intense rivalry, he said: “One half hate you and the other half think they own you.”

If the Celtic and Hibs fans give Souttar what for, that comes under the heading of partisan behaviour and we can all live with that. But if the Hearts fans turn on him that is a continuation of their contempt for fair-minded behaviour.

Souttar has reserved the right to seek employment at the most favourable terms available to him – like any other worker selling his hire.

The last week has shown football is only elevated to a level of theatre and drama by the presence of large and loudly-heard crowds in their thousands.

Supporters have been empowered to think their attendance is invaluable. And it is.

That’s not to say they’ve been weaponised to make someone’s life a misery because he’s agreed to terminate his employment at a

What an absolute tosser. 

Edited by GinRummy

Byyy The Light
10 minutes ago, Hearts007 said:

Another one who misses the point.

Football is more than another job to the fans.

Leaving to go to a rival on a free is more akin to finding out your bird/wife/partner is leaving you for someone else because they’ve got more money. To make matters worse you see this person all the time and you think theyre a complete arsehole. 

It’s not the same obviously but the personal betrayal is felt more than if your mate from work left to go and get a new job.

It’s football, it’s not rational. 

Edited by Byyy The Light

How does he know this.  Does he know the other offers 

7 minutes ago, George Cowie said:

I agree with the Moore comment. My point was that the SQUAD is better with Souttar (It's not been a bad season so far eh ?). Injuries will happen and we will need JS in the run in. Can't rely on Halkett, Moore, Souttar all staying fit for the next 4 months. If on the other-hand we identify someone who wants to come to Hearts at CB to replace JS then getting funds for him will be advantageous. Otherwise he is worth more to us than the sweeties we will get for him.

I’m not sure. Not to sound nasty, but when was the last time he had a consistent 15-20 game run injury free for us? Souttar is a strong squad member, but if he leaves maybe Savage and co have a loan in the ilk of Branthwaite at Everton (not saying him, but of his ilk) that can add to the squad before bigger investment come summer. I think saving on his wages and getting him out the door so there’s no more distractions will probably help us more in the long run. If we get a fee on top of that, all the better. And we have to remember, I’m not sure how much we can expect to be paid for someone who only has 4 months left in his contract and a long list of severe injuries so far in his career. Especially from a team that already have a signed contract for his services in that 4 months time.

23 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

What an absolute tosser. 

20 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Leaving to go to a rival on a free is more akin to finding out your bird/wife/partner is leaving you for someone else because they’ve got more money. To make matters worse you see this person all the time and you think theyre a complete arsehole. 

It’s not the same obviously but the personal betrayal is felt more than if your mate from work left to go and get a new job.

yup

9 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Where was hugh keevins articlw when Celtic fans terrorised Tierney and his family. 

Hugh Keevins is an absolute dinosaur. Can’t believe he’s still making a living.  Quite remarkable he’s managed it when being so poor at his job.

14 minutes ago, BackOfTheNet said:

I’m not sure. Not to sound nasty, but when was the last time he had a consistent 15-20 game run injury free for us? Souttar is a strong squad member, but if he leaves maybe Savage and co have a loan in the ilk of Branthwaite at Everton (not saying him, but of his ilk) that can add to the squad before bigger investment come summer. I think saving on his wages and getting him out the door so there’s no more distractions will probably help us more in the long run. If we get a fee on top of that, all the better. And we have to remember, I’m not sure how much we can expect to be paid for someone who only has 4 months left in his contract and a long list of severe injuries so far in his career. Especially from a team that already have a signed contract for his services in that 4 months time.

Why aren't Rangers just waiting till the summer?

8 hours ago, gregzy2k7 said:

My gut tells me he is away after not playing in scottish cup game, hopefully by early next week. Then we can all focus on Hearts and our best interests.

It would have been folly to play him yesterday. Against another Prem club, he probably would have played.

We have to be sure we have cover before selling him.

6 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

Hugh Keevins is an absolute dinosaur. Can’t believe he’s still making a living.  Quite remarkable he’s managed it when being so poor at his job.

You should tune in to the Clyde phone in if you get the chance.

It's unintentionally hysterical, from pundits to callers !

Gonna be an interesting week……honestly hadn’t thought about high keevins in about 15 year, arsehole.

Edited by gordiegords

34 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

What an absolute tosser. 

He writes shite like this to get responses like this that keep him in a job. Agree he’s a wank faced arsehole though 😂

2 hours ago, Deevers said:

I hear that they’ve been told match our asking price or don’t bother coming back to us.The ball very much in their court.

Which makes sense. The season is ongoing and Neilson has work to do with all players contracted to Hearts, including ones until the summer.

Edited by Riccarton3

“He knows better now after Souttar was subjected to prolonged and profane abuse during Hearts’ home win over St Johnstone on Tuesday night.

A result that advanced Hearts’ ambition to play inEuropean competition next season.”

prolonged and profane abuse ? Really? He was booed and applauded probably in equal measure . 

Will Keevins comment on any sectarian singing at a game involving celtic and sevco , nah cause that’s just part of the greatest derby in the world ( well in glasgow anyway ) , mans an absolute throbbed 

Edited by 3fingersreid

13 minutes ago, Riccarton3 said:

Why aren't Rangers just waiting till the summer?

I think they would prefer him in now so that he can get up to speed with ‘the Rangers way’ (ugh) so that by the time the summer comes and European games come around he doesn’t need time to bed in. One less player to do so as they inevitably sign players in the summer. They probably want to make sure he stays fit, as there’s no guarantee we’d play him. But I also think that they have their financial limits and will wait until the summer if they have to.

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

But more likely with him than without him so it’s a gamble. Where was Moore yesterday?  If he is injured as well then we need Soapy or we need to buy. 

36 minutes ago, Byyy The Light said:

Sorry its you who has missed the point , spectacularly .

The article , despite what most of us think of Keevins , puts forward a reasonable argument against some fans behaviour

41 minutes ago, livi said:

How does he know this.  Does he know the other offers 

Other clubs might have offered more money but it’s clear he favoured the Rangers offer more than any other. 

21 minutes ago, Boab said:

You should tune in to the Clyde phone in if you get the chance.

It's unintentionally hysterical, from pundits to callers !

yeah I heard it last week. Lasted 10 minutes and I had to switch it off. 

Horatio Caine
1 hour ago, Hearts007 said:

Does Keevins forget the reaction of OF fans when Rodgers and Gerrard left their respective clubs?  And they weren't even joining a rival club.  Personally, I wouldn't boo JS - I'm disappointed of course, but let the lad get on with his career and we'll get on with supporting the club and the players who want to be a part of the journey we are on.

23 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

But more likely with him than without him so it’s a gamble. Where was Moore yesterday?  If he is injured as well then we need Soapy or we need to buy. 

Don’t think anything official was said about Moore but some were assuming covid. We have a small squad, almost anyone needs replaced if they leave imo or we leave ourselves short when injuries or suspensions kick in. Fully expect at least a centre back and forward before the window shuts. 

Edited by GinRummy

Seymour M Hersh
39 minutes ago, Des Lynam said:

He writes shite like this to get responses like this that keep him in a job. Agree he’s a wank faced arsehole though 😂

I'm not sure how Hearts fans venting about the prick that is keevins on this site benefits his employers at the daily smegma? 

Edited by Seymour M Hersh

19 minutes ago, 1971fozzy said:

yeah I heard it last week. Lasted 10 minutes and I had to switch it off. 

Yea, around a quarter if an hour is enough before it becomes ridiculous.

If the club thinks Souttar is a vital component in securing 3rd and the reward that should bring then surely our valuation is in line with that. Which must run into the millions, there’s not the slightest chance those charlatans from Govan are paying that for him.

The Wrinkly Ninja
45 minutes ago, john thomas said:

The article , despite what most of us think of Keevins , puts forward a reasonable argument against some fans behaviour

I don’t think the poster you quoted does and I don’t think there is any reason in Keevin’s article. 

He peddles his opinion that fans of our club, that he has no emotional ties or involvement to, are wrong and have no grounds for being aggrieved by using phrases like ‘strikes them as reasonable grounds’.

That isn’t a reasonable argument, it’s supercilious to the extreme. Much the same as a lot of the posting on here.

The football fan doesn’t have access to the same media as Keevins, or Levein. They can’t simply write an opinion piece in a national newspaper. Their ire, anger, happiness, joy and elation is wrapped up and comes out in the only place they can express it, the ground.

Too much has been made of a few fans booing. Keevins has an agenda. This has given him the opportunity to stick it to Hearts fans once again and he has done it through his opinion, not his argument.

The weird thing is the amount of Hearts fans who want to do the same.

Edited by The Wrinkly Ninja

12 minutes ago, Boab said:

Yea, around a quarter if an hour is enough before it becomes ridiculous.

Radio Clyde phone in after final whistle on a Saturday was wondrous .

James Sandison (?) talking down to ratarsed OF fans . Hilarious stuff 

No idea what it's like nowadays

Glamorgan Jambo

Agree Keevins is a dinosaur and old firm fanboy but his point about Levein is spot on. A week on I still can’t see how anyone benefited from releasing what is pretty personal information. 

The point about it’s effect on Souttar’s decision is at best debatable and in any case in situations like this opinions get pretty quickly entrenched and immovable. It was easily foreseeable that it would have little effect on Hearts supporters perceptions.

What was much more noticeable was John’s composure and commitment on Tuesday.

Unless you’re a real cynic and maybe Levein got paid a decent wedge for his ‘exclusive’.

1 hour ago, GinRummy said:

I do as well.

49 minutes ago, john thomas said:

It is you that has got it wrong and not the poster you quoted. There is nothing wrong with the way most Hearts fans are feeling and the way some reacted at the game. What is wrong is the rules that are in place that has resulted in where we are with this.  

2 hours ago, BackOfTheNet said:

It will be interesting to see if  Robbie will play JS against Celtic - although that possibility may be a bargaining chip we have to negotiate a better fee from Sevco.    I can't see any point in Hearts NOT  playing him (assuming he's fit) if Sevco are not showing any willingness to negotiate a more acceptable  transfer fee to take him now.

Despite what Robbie says though, I think the 2 clubs will reach an "undisclosed"  compromise on the transfer fee.  We may need the JS fee to bring in a good quality striker (or even 2)

37 minutes ago, Horatio Caine said:

Does Keevins forget the reaction of OF fans when Rodgers and Gerrard left their respective clubs?  And they weren't even joining a rival club.  Personally, I wouldn't boo JS - I'm disappointed of course, but let the lad get on with his career and we'll get on with supporting the club and the players who want to be a part of the journey we are on.

Great post 👍   "Never a Celtic man"  the banner said, after he'd won 7 trophies in 3 years for them.

3 minutes ago, The Wrinkly Ninja said:

I don’t think the poster you quoted does and I don’t think there is any reason in Keevin’s article. 

He peddles his opinion that fans of our club, that he has no emotional ties or involvement to, are wrong and have no grounds for being aggrieved by using phrases like ‘strikes them as reasonable grounds’.

That isn’t a reasonable argument, it’s supercilious to the extreme. Much the same as a lot of the posting on here.

The football fan doesn’t have access to the same media as Keevins, or Levein. They can’t simply write an opinion piece in a national newspaper. Their ire, anger, happiness, joy and elation is wrapped up and comes out in the only place they can express it, the ground.

Too much has been made of a few fans booing. Keevins has an agenda. This has given him the opportunity to stick it to Hearts fans once again and he has done it through his opinion, not his argument.

The weird thing is the amount of Hearts fans who want to do the same.

I , as already stated, disagree .

Yes Keevins has more access to the media than most Hearts fans !

Yes fans express what they think at games !

None of the above points are exactly revelations

Surely the job of journalists , in this context, is to express a more reasoned view ?

Far from a Keevins fan but his piece is relevant and far from being an assassination job on Hearts

13 minutes ago, john thomas said:

Radio Clyde phone in after final whistle on a Saturday was wondrous .

James Sandison (?) talking down to ratarsed OF fans . Hilarious stuff 

No idea what it's like nowadays

Sanderson iirc. 

8 minutes ago, niblick1874 said:

It is you that has got it wrong and not the poster you quoted. There is nothing wrong with the way most Hearts fans are feeling and the way some reacted at the game. What is wrong is the rules that are in place that has resulted in where we are with this.  

The rules are wrong but nothing to do with what I , or the other poster , were talking about