Success next season

Threedoorsdown

Threedoorsdown

What are everyone’s hopes for next season?

I’m really excited. I’ve not trusted a manager as much as I trust Naismith since Burley. Naismith is instilling a winning attitude into fairly average players.

Not only do we have a cracking manager in my opinion, but at board room level since Mr Anderson joined we seem to have our shit together more and more.

For the first time ever watching Hearts, I feel we have a plan and enough of the jigsaw pieces in place to kick on.

For me success would be;

- Comfortably third

- Hampden trips x 2

- Single digit gap between us and the old firm

- Significant improvement in player trading over the summer.

However, really what I’m looking for is a tangible feel that we are now the third team in the league. I want some day light i between us and Hibs/Aberdeen. The league table looks fantastic this season for that, however we have been guilty of having good seasons and then taking our foot of their throats - I want us to be relentless and driven to absolutely leave them behind us.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ricardo Quaresma

• Sooks

• Morgan

• Thunder and Lightning

Absolute Scenes

I know a few will say silverware but in our league it’s a big ask considering at some point you’ll need to face Celtic or rangers (or both). Very much the luck of the draw at times.

i agree with the above, 3rd place, at least one hampden trip and trying to close the gap on the ugly sisters 

johnking123

It will be harder with the extra games. 3rd trip to Hampden. More youth getting chance and 4 or more wins in Europe. 

August Landmesser

A win at Pittodrie would be nice too!

Boris5115

3rd. Pump Hibs as habitually we do and the mickey mouse cup would be sufficient for me. 

hmfc_liam06

A repeat of this season but with the gap to 2nd being smaller.

A couple European wins would be nice too.

mscjambo

More competitive on the European stage.

3rd again.

Taking more points off the old firm.

Latter stages of domestic cups hopefully pushing into finals 

Bad Religion

A general improvement in on pitch performance. The midfield controlling and dominating games. Goals spread more evenly around the team and not so heavily reliant on one player. 

Improved performance in Europe and another trip or more to Hampden.

Americana

3rd is always my biggest ask. I think if we can consistently make it our own and start closing the point difference between us and the sisters.

Super_Hans

In the likelihood that we drop into the Conference League then qualifying for the knock out stages and European football after Christmas. 

jamboinglasgow

I think there can be different levels of success.

I would see it is a successful season, especially due to playing in Europe with the extra matches that brings would be:

- finishing third

- getting to at least a semi final in one cup 

- getting at least one win in European group stage, and to not have embarrassed ourselves against the bigger clubs

That would be the minimum for success.

The next level would be:

- finishing third and closer to 2nd place

= getting to two at least two semi finals (or 1 final)

- getting at least two wins in the group stage of Europe and a draw against a bigger team

The next level would:

- finishing third and single digits behind 2nd place

- winning silverware

- Getting to the next stage of Europe

leith_dude

If we finish 3rd again it's a successful season as it's hard to imagine our competitors for 3rd will be as bad next season and we will have the European games in the first half of the season. 

Anything more than that will be a bonus for me. 

Obviously it would be great to win a cup and do better in Europe but the odds are seriously stacked against us in that regard. 

gregzy2k7

Want a trophy,

Would take League cup or Scottish,

That's the missing piece of the jigsaw for me, 

Would also like us to finish at least in the top 4 again (preferably 3rd)

In terms of Europe, hard to gage until we know what league and group we will be drawn into, for me as long as we play well and get at least a couple of wins in the group stages, I would be satisfied.

Forrest

The European games have the potential to be a stumbling block in our campaign, so we need to make sure we're dealing with them both with the same winning attitude. It'll need careful squad management. 

We can't control the gap between 3rd  and 4th. If Hibs / Aberdeen / anyone else have an exceptionally good season, all we can do is make sure that our results over the course of the season are better. 

I'd like to see more teams nicking points off the Sectarian Firm as well. 

jamboozy

Have the OF shite their pants at Harthill services as they head towards Tynecastle, compete with them as we close the gap on them. I know this is the long term plan, but I would like to give them a few frights next season.

Competing with Celtic & Rangers is the domestic bar, and constantly getting rewarded by monies from Europe is the obvious way to go.

boag1874
3 minutes ago, leith_dude said:

If we finish 3rd again it's a successful season as it's hard to imagine our competitors for 3rd will be as bad next season and we will have the European games in the first half of the season. 

Anything more than that will be a bonus for me. 

Obviously it would be great to win a cup and do better in Europe but the odds are seriously stacked against us in that regard. 

Agree with that. Back to back 3rd place finishes while contending with extra games in Europe would be absolutely brilliant.

I do think with the new format in Europe then (draw dependant) we have a better chance to progress than usual if we're in the conference league as we only need to avoid being in the bottom third of clubs, that would be a massive statement.

tiger Rudi

Signing a decent right back! 👍

Keeping Shanks for the whole season. 

Squad staying almost injury free! 

Dominating games against our peers and absolutely slaying some of them on a regular basis. 

Continue our good away form. 

Finishing 3rd and being a bit closer to the OF including wins against both of them. Could we even split them? 

A good run in both cups would be an added bonus, winning one would be fantastic. 

3rd

Semi finals in both cups 

Draw dependant I would like to push for 2nd in our European group and with the right recruitment over the summer, I think we can do this. Requires a little bit better recruitment (Danny Armstrong, Stuart Findlay & a RB IMO)

More youth development (Naismith to keep doing what he's been doing)

Schevchenko

Agree with most of the suggestions, I would like to see a bit of progression in europe, not saying we get through to the next stages of whatever Europa competition we are in but not getting hammered off the bigger sides and definitely competing better with the teams in and around our level.

AC Mallin_51

I think finishing 3rd again after playing in Europe would be successful. If we end up in the ECL I’d like to see us get a couple of decent results considering we’d probably be in pot 4 of 6. Deep into the cup competitions would be good too

1 hour ago, Threedoorsdown said:

I’m really excited. I’ve not trusted a manager as much as I trust Naismith since Burley. Naismith is instilling a winning attitude into fairly average players.

Not only do we have a cracking manager in my opinion, but at board room level since Mr Anderson joined we seem to have our shit together more and more.

For the first time ever watching Hearts, I feel we have a plan and enough of the jigsaw pieces in place to kick on.

For me success would be;

- Comfortably third

- Hampden trips x 2

However, really what I’m looking for is a tangible feel that we are now the third team in the league. I want some day light i between us and Hibs/Aberdeen. The league table looks fantastic this season for that, however we have been guilty of having good seasons and then taking our foot of their throats - I want us to be relentless and driven to absolutely leave them behind us.

Successfully maintaining standards -

Third place 

Beat everyone in the cups outside the OF

Improvement would be -

Qualify for table phase Europe through qualifying rounds

Beat either of the OF in the cups

Bindy Badgy

In terms of the bigger picture, finishing 3rd, closing the gap to the Uglies and winning 3+ games in the European group stages.

I would prefer coming 10th and winning a cup.

Edited by Bindy Badgy

AC Mallin_51
31 minutes ago, OTT said:

3rd

Semi finals in both cups 

Draw dependant I would like to push for 2nd in our European group and with the right recruitment over the summer, I think we can do this. Requires a little bit better recruitment (Danny Armstrong, Stuart Findlay & a RB IMO)

More youth development (Naismith to keep doing what he's been doing)

Not in groups next season, it’s all one big league table  

Ex member of the SaS
58 minutes ago, Bad Religion said:

A general improvement in on pitch performance. The midfield controlling and dominating games. Goals spread more evenly around the team and not so heavily reliant on one player. 

Improved performance in Europe and another trip or more to Hampden.

add to this third is a must. Also want it sewn up before the split. We are signing players that should improve what we have and third should not be difficult.

tartofmidlothian

The same as this season in the league will do just fine.

Not going out of the cups to any non-OF team and hoping we get a bit of luck against them.

Putting up a real fight in Europe. If we don't qualify for the next stage, then at least getting a couple of good results.

Improving the squad all round.

Selkirkhmfc1874

Build on the solid foundations we've built this season , silverware would be amazing but as always that's going to be difficult with the resources the arse cheeks have 

It will be tougher at the start of next season, we will have more games with the Euro challenge. Likely to lose our main striker to an English Championship team, Beni will probably move on, if he gets an offer.
Likely to improve our income due to Europe, it will be more difficult to get 3rd, but should still be achieved. Cups are all dependant on the luck of the draw. Hope is winning a trophy. Biggest hope is winning the league.

vegas-voss

Consolidate 3rd and hopefully win a cup ( I say hopefully cause it's always a hard task to do ).A better showing in Europe would also be good but mostly it's about consistently improving each year.

18 minutes ago, AC Mallin_51 said:

Not in groups next season, it’s all one big league table  

Oh shit yeah, I'd totally forgotten about that!! 

Interesting to see how it works/goes for us. Maybe a chance of more winnable/realistic games?

21 minutes ago, Bindy Badgy said:

In terms of the bigger picture, finishing 3rd, closing the gap to the Uglies and winning 3+ games in the European group stages.

I would prefer coming 10th and winning a cup.

10th and the league cup would be an absolute disaster of a season imo

AC Mallin_51

Just read that next years EL and ECL the teams placed between 9-24th in the league go to the playoff for the last 16. In the ECL I’d really fancy us to avoid the bottom 12 of a 36 team league. That could be really exciting to see us still in Europe going into late January

LarrysRightFoot

A trophy, obviously the Scottish Cup is preferable but I’d love to see us actually win the League Cup.

I think 3rd will be very difficult to achieve with European football (both ourselves and Aberdeen have struggled to deal with the extra games). I also expect Hibs and Aberdeen to improve. I do hope we are fighting for 3rd however. 

Jambos_1874

Agree with the OP. It's unrealistic to expect big strides forward in any one season - we just need slow and steady progression in the right direction both on and off the field, with the hope that in five or ten years time we are in a position where we can seriously challenge for trophies and push the OF for the league title. We do need to keep going with the "boring" stuff off the field in order to allow us to do this though I.e. hotel being a success, good sponsorship deals etc. Steady progress in Europe would be great too, and it is definitely about time that we saw some real talent come through the academy for extra income.

fabienleclerq

Maintaining third place is going to be tough, we rarely manage to do it and having eight(?) European games aswell will make it even more difficult. 

You'd Imagine we will lose a couple starting players in Cochrane, Shankland and Beni at least so it all comes back to recruitment again. We need more goals from other areas of the pitch.

RustyRightPeg

2 or 3 wins in Europe.

Solidify 3rd.

Beat Hibs home & away.

Beat both OF 3 times between them.

At least 3 or 4 youngsters making their first team debuts.

kingantti1874

3rd and improved performances on the pitch, a decent showing in Europe .  Take points from both sides of the old firm and beat the teams we should beat in the cup

Edited by kingantti1874

Nookie Bear
1 hour ago, Threedoorsdown said:

For me success would be;

- Comfortably third

- Hampden trips x 2

I think this would be the finest indicator of improvement and in turn would mean the rest are trailing in our wake 👍

One five
23 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Consolidate 3rd and hopefully win a cup ( I say hopefully cause it's always a hard task to do ).A better showing in Europe would also be good but mostly it's about consistently improving each year.

This

JamboAndrew

Same outcome as this year.

3rd place that isn't down to the wire.

European group stage qualification.

A trip or two to Hampden.

Having a player or two perform to the levels we have had Shankland.

Bringing in more players like Hoff.

Spreading goals more evenly around the team.

Hibs being guff again.

Anything more is nice to have. The above I think is realistic.

Gordon_1874

I always think Hearts should aim for 2 points per game on average over the course of the season (76 points from 38 games) we came close to that in 05/06.

The Goalscoring Knee
22 minutes ago, Sooks said:

10th and the league cup would be an absolute disaster of a season imo

Can you imagine this place if we finished tenth?

Bill Murray In Boston To Shoot The Third GHOSTBUSTERS!!

The Goalscoring Knee
1 minute ago, Gordon_1874 said:

I always think Hearts should aim for 2 points per game on average over the course of the season (76 points from 38 games) we came close to that in 05/06.

It's as good a yardstick as any - win your home games and draw away and you'll have had a good season. 

Gorgie_Rules

Ending the season with Naismith in charge regardless of league position hopefully to allow a bit continuity and trust in the longer term.

Neilson got the bullet for it looking like we’d finish 4th despite a decent track record previously. Hope we don’t fall into the same trap if we aren’t top 4 into the 2nd half of the season.

Going to be tricky to see how we navigate at least 8 European games with hopefully a League cup run too. We ought to be a lot more equipped this time in terms squad depth and experience though.

Edited by Gorgie_Rules

Dirty Deeds

For as long as I can remember, we've struggled to have decent back to back seasons so I think it's important that we don't hound Naismith out if Europe takes it's toll on domestic results.

Progress would be :

1. Max 10 league defeats

2. Have a mathematical chance of winning the league post split

3. Wins over both Celtic and Rangers

4. Be competitive in Europe and be undefeated at home.

5. Give Hibs a proper doing.