Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

The Real Maroonblood
3 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

I wonder how he rates his mate in America on his contribution to the death toll over there due to Covid 19? You know, the "bravest" man he has ever met, not the veteran servicemen Farage has used to have photo opportunities with over the years. The one who avoided his national service. The one who has pretty much adopted a herd immunity policy over Covid 19, with tragic consequences.

Farage is just an agitator who is as big a clown as his transatlantic mate. Rumoured to be planning to live in Germany after Brexit? Surely even he hasn't that brass a neck.

He hates the EU that much he had to get a German wife.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, jonesy said:

Having my kids at home for a month wouldn't just upset my routine, it would cost me my jobs. Sorry sons, just because your teacher doesn't fancy the infinitesimal odds of catching the flu, which they would be highly likely to recover from anyway (unless they struck out really unlucky and got the looooooooooooooooooooooooooong covid), santa isn't coming this year. Braw.

Ok, perhaps oversimplifying it a bit, but there a plenty of people who don't have sympathetic employers, don't have jobs they can do from home, and don't have time for petted lip teachers, whose jobs are among the safest (in terms of redundancies) in the country, and, despite the widely known drawbacks of paperwork and stress, thousands sign up to do every year.

Anyway, the rest of your post is pretty wide-ranging, and we agree that the government have mishandled this whole thing, although perhaps not on the details. Discussing the rest of it would just be going over old ground, so will leave it there. Cheers, take care.

If your job's at risk from another lockdown, perhaps you shouldn't have spent the past several months encouraging people to be so blasé about the whole thing. 

Edited by Ray Gin

9 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

The Covid 19 shamdemic. Living in the history of one of the greatest world wide coverups ever. Systematically destroying the world economy so people are so reliant on the system that they will accept anything and everything they are told to receive state handouts. Already happening in Australia. Take a vaccine or lose their benefits. Then once everyone is in the gutter a cashless society will be introduced. Possibly a universal basic income based on people subscribing to the states will. This will in turn make sure nobody can work on the side and the state can monitor everything. With the ever increasing likelihood of artificial AI replacing workers they had to do something. Small independent businesses will be replaced by bigger more powerful chains and the fabric of society is being rotted away. 

They aren’t even attempting to hide it anymore. People aren’t even allowed to protest because it is apparently a risk to public health. Pretty well thought out if you ask me. 

What a load of nonsense.

10 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

The Covid 19 shamdemic. Living in the history of one of the greatest world wide coverups ever. Systematically destroying the world economy so people are so reliant on the system that they will accept anything and everything they are told to receive state handouts. Already happening in Australia. Take a vaccine or lose your benefit. Then once everyone is in the gutter a cashless society will be introduced. Possibly a universal basic income based on people subscribing to the states will. This will in turn make sure nobody can work on the side and the state can monitor everything. With the ever increasing likelihood of artificial AI replacing workers they had to do something. Small independent businesses will be replaced by bigger more powerful chains and the fabric of society is being rotted away. 

Scaremongering nonsense.

Governor Tarkin
50 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Speaks a lot of sense, IMO. And definitely an opportunist at the same time.

I'd agree that amidst the bluster there are discussion points worthy of consideration - but his motives appear as far from the public best-interest as our friend the doctor (Mengle) jambo. 

11 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

Farage is just an agitator

:sadrobbo:

His only redeeming quality imo. 

12 hours ago, jonesy said:

It's the pubs. Gotta be the pubs. And for viewers in Scotland, soft play centres. The two most dangerous venues a human being can visit.

To be fair, I have no problem with soft play being shut. They're a sticky, noisy plague pit at the best of times. 

2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Thanks for the encouragement and kind words at this stressful time. :sad3:

You've been openly admitting to ignoring the rules while encouraging others to do the same. Don't look around for sympathy now that it's came back to bite you on the bum.

9 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

Scaremongering nonsense.

I'd say some of it is quite accurate. We will eventually have to move to some kind of Universal Basic Income and a big part of that will be due to technology taking jobs. 10-15 years time, you can kiss goodbye to bus drivers and taxi drivers as they all become automated. There'll be thousands of jobs more at risk too. I don't agree with his conspiracy angle but the world will be drastically different in 20 years time. 

1 minute ago, Norm said:

I'd say some of it is quite accurate. We will eventually have to move to some kind of Universal Basic Income and a big part of that will be due to technology taking jobs. 10-15 years time, you can kiss goodbye to bus drivers and taxi drivers as they all become automated. There'll be thousands of jobs more at risk too. I don't agree with his conspiracy angle but the world will be drastically different in 20 years time. 

Indeed, but that is down to advancements in technology and AI, it has nothing to do with Covid-19 and some sort of global "cover up".

17 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Thanks for the encouragement and kind words at this stressful time. :sad3:

For some reason I always thought you were a teacher! Must have been a post from someone else that I wrongly appropriated to you in my head. Hope all goes alright with your job tho!

Fxxx the SPFL

A bit confused we are due to care for our two grandkids for childminding duties which is permissible however they live in the Borders Tier 2 we live in auld Reekie Tier 3 (should be bloody two) further down it says all travel is banned out with your own local authority area doesn't seem to mention childminding confused yes

2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I ignore many of the rules because they don't make any sense. Others can do what they want, even if it defies logic.

I'm not looking for sympathy - I'm looking to discuss and provide examples of the very real impact that cocooned decision-makers are having on the lives of others. 

Just to be clear though, where do you draw the line with sympathy and empathy for those who disagree with you? You sound more like one of JiH's non-mask wearers than I do 😛 

People who have tried their best to follow the guidelines: get sympathy

People who who have not: no sympathy

People who suffer through having unavoidable contact with a rule-ignoring family member/partner: get sympathy

Governor Tarkin
11 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

A bit confused we are due to care for our two grandkids for childminding duties which is permissible however they live in the Borders Tier 2 we live in auld Reekie Tier 3 (should be bloody two) further down it says all travel is banned out with your own local authority area doesn't seem to mention childminding confused yes

I don't think anyone can legally stop you from crossing tiers, it's just not advised. 

Farage talking sense  :rofl:

File Farage with the likes of Brady,  IDS and McVey.  All opposing lockdown from a perspective of their personal financial interests.  

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

To be honest I find the constant carping by my own profession a little feeble too.

The videos of nurses weeping in cars, tik tok videos from wards etc and discussing thier stress and turmoil.

Not really my thing

Lot of people seem to have lost their back bone.

NHS has probably never had it so easy.

Main challenge through this has been boredom

obviously individuals have done a great job but I think the medical profession have got off lightly for the last 8 months.

A spokesperson interviewed a few days ago was asked what the position was in her hospitals. She refused point blank to answer saying she was here to talk about the national picture. She then waffled about the need to prevent hospitals from being overwhelmed and being unable to treat Covid and other patients with no supporting facts or evidence,. The obvious follow up question of why patients have not been treated in the last 5 months when hospitals have been emptier than ever was of course not asked

This wasn't Hugh Pimm but has has he ever asked a challenging question of any medical professional through all of this? 

As for your back bone point even at the height of the first wave and when PPE was often not available health workers were mid-table in the death league. The most dangerous occupations were lorry drivers and security guards (odd because I see them as relatively solitary occupations) but those and other essential workers got infinitesimal attention compared to the NHS heroes.

47 minutes ago, jonesy said:

I ignore many of the rules because they don't make any sense. Others can do what they want, even if it defies logic.

I'm not looking for sympathy - I'm looking to discuss and provide examples of the very real impact that cocooned decision-makers are having on the lives of others. 

Just to be clear though, where do you draw the line with sympathy and empathy for those who disagree with you? You sound more like one of JiH's non-mask wearers than I do 😛 

Hahaha ignore the rules at your pearl they say. 😂

it’s clear that people ignoring the rules or bending them are to blame so take you medicine. 

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

The Covid 19 shamdemic. Living in the history of one of the greatest world wide coverups ever. Systematically destroying the world economy so people are so reliant on the system that they will accept anything and everything they are told to receive state handouts. Already happening in Australia. Take a vaccine or lose their benefits. Then once everyone is in the gutter a cashless society will be introduced. Possibly a universal basic income based on people subscribing to the states will. This will in turn make sure nobody can work on the side and the state can monitor everything. With the ever increasing likelihood of artificial AI replacing workers they had to do something. Small independent businesses will be replaced by bigger more powerful chains and the fabric of society is being rotted away. 

They aren’t even attempting to hide it anymore. People aren’t even allowed to protest because it is apparently a risk to public health. Pretty well thought out if you ask me. 

We need more posts like this belter.

In amongst the myriad of humourless guff spouted by the same humourless mumpers, that post made the corners of my mouth lift ever so slightly.

Bravo Alim. 

We're in for a very long and challenging period if we've now got Farage whipping up lockdown opposition amongst the gammonati and disgruntled.  Even if his opposition is coherent,  the result wont be limited to opposition of lockdowns.  It will also result in more antagonism towards basic social distancing rules and quite possibly even to mask wearing.

We'll be stuck in this shit for longer unless the basic message continues to be followed.  To stick to the rules and practice sensible personal behaviours.  But being stuck with what we have seems less important than being in perpetual grievance.

1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

Wow, you win the "flat earther" prize for this week.

Fxxx the SPFL
59 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

I don't think anyone can legally stop you from crossing tiers, it's just not advised. 

cheers GT.

2 hours ago, doctor jambo said:

To be honest I find the constant carping by my own profession a little feeble too.

The videos of nurses weeping in cars, tik tok videos from wards etc and discussing thier stress and turmoil.

Not really my thing

Lot of people seem to have lost their back bone.

NHS has probably never had it so easy.

Main challenge through this has been boredom

Very true . I had to call docs last week and was informed by an irate sounding receptionist that I would be given a telephone consultation , despite the fact that I requested a face to face one . The doc phoned me back and agreed face to face Meeting at surgery next day . I went along and yet again miserable sounding receptionist answered the bell when I rang and let me in to sit in waiting room. This was at 11 am and this tends to be the busier times but I was only One there , incredibly the doc still didn’t see me at my appointment time and had to wait 20 mins . So what exactly are nhs staff doing in surgeries ? 

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

You should be ashamed of yourself if you break the rules 

2 hours ago, AlimOzturk said:

Agreed. Twitter, Amazon, Facebook & Google will rule the world in the next decade or so.

38 minutes ago, Victorian said:

We're in for a very long and challenging period if we've now got Farage whipping up lockdown opposition amongst the gammonati and disgruntled.  Even if his opposition is coherent,  the result wont be limited to opposition of lockdowns.  It will also result in more antagonism towards basic social distancing rules and quite possibly even to mask wearing.

We'll be stuck in this shit for longer unless the basic message continues to be followed.  To stick to the rules and practice sensible personal behaviours.  But being stuck with what we have seems less important than being in perpetual grievance.

Amen.  Don’t be fooled by his populism bullshit. He’s taking advantage of the vulnerable once again to stir up more division.  It’s what fascists do.

Recommended reading; The People Vs Tech: How the internet is killing democracy (and how we save it) By Jamie Bartlett

Fxxx the SPFL

Nicola is now going to go for a lockdown why money not because of the rates in Scotland which are falling you could tell in her statement that's what she is hinting at.

10 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

I knew you'd be back on here with your usual guff.

Friday night must have been a hard one to take :laugh:

If that's the only way to look after people with furlough then that is the best option.  The UK gvt should make it more flexible but clearly haven't.  

Looks like the UK gvt being inflexible will result in a cart before the horse lockdown.  Brought in because the economics allow it rather than the scientific basis makes it immediately necessary.

No other option for the SG in that case.

5 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

Looks like we’re going to go into national lockdown, listening to the fish. Reasoning is to take advantage of furlough ands really hammer breaks to aid in Chrimbo. Decision expected in next couple of days but did sound very likely.

I’m have never been in favour of lockdown form the outset. However, if they are going to take the strategy they would be as well hitting the suppression hard for next few weeks, get prevalence down and sort the test and protect system out in addition to addressing capacity concerns.

Anyway it certainly sounds like a national level 4 lockdown very likely.

I did say that the  WM giving furlough money would give her the green light to go for a full lockdown ! Poor businesses who were looking forward to opening up in the lower tiers of restrictions . They must be devastated 

Seymour M Hersh
13 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Well shame isn't something you're ver likely to suffer from. 

2 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

Nicola is now going to go for a lockdown why money not because of the rates in Scotland which are falling you could tell in her statement that's what she is hinting at.

Exactly.  She's a shyster of the highest order. Can't resist any opportunity to lock down. She is trying to convince herself as much as the people.  Furlough only protects the workers wages, it doesn't compensate business owners for the loss of profits, on which they corporation tax. Without private business making money, the NHS that we keep being told we  have "to protect" would not survive.

And he’s not praying!

‘The fish’ really is awful patter.

I’m all for a bit of name calling but that shit makes me cringe.

3 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

This doesn't surprise me in the least but I think they are being very generous saying it's only 4 times. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/11/01/death-scenarios-used-government-justify-second-national-lockdown/

Yes, no surprise there. As other medical professionals have stated, SAGE are using flawed stats. It bases it's modelling on everyone in the population being susceptible to Covid when there is clear evidence that lots of people have innate resistance to it, whether it be from previous cross reaction to colds or heightened T-cells response etc. 

As i understand it you couldn't go back onto furlough if you had been taken off. 

They had better review that because if they lock down and businesses cant re-furlough people, there's even bigger trouble ahead for a lot of places.

Some criticism on bbc one just now from Linda bauld from Edinburgh university , she’s on tv quite regular. She’s saying it would be a pity if we went jnto

full lockdown because we haven’t fully analysed and given the new restrictions a chance . Completely agree . Apparently furlough will End December 2nd 

Shooter McGavin

I’d be fine with another lockdown if it meant, like someone has suggested earlier on this thread, they get to grips with the track and trace system.

My worry is that after the lockdown period is over, we come out and make the same mistakes. Rinse and repeat.

3 minutes ago, mrmarkus1981 said:

As i understand it you couldn't go back onto furlough if you had been taken off. 

They had better review that because if they lock down and businesses cant re-furlough people, there's even bigger trouble ahead for a lot of places.

Folk at my work have been on and off furlough several times for a month at a time.

Heartsmad1874
4 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

I’d be fine with another lockdown if it meant, like someone has suggested earlier on this thread, they get to grips with the track and trace system.

My worry is that after the lockdown period is over, we come out and make the same mistakes. Rinse and repeat.

Too many mistakes made last time. From the uni's going back, inadequate track and trace and then the failure to lockdown Glasgow like they did Aberdeen.

Well that’s another massive kick in the ghoulies for businesses who have just opened up again today ie restaurants / pubs as it apparently we might be going into full lockdown again within the next week as SG have furlough money from WM . So all these businesses will close yet again. It’s abusive 

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Well that’s another massive kick in the ghoulies for businesses who have just opened up again today ie restaurants / pubs as it apparently we might be going into full lockdown again within the next week as SG have furlough money from WM . So all these businesses will close yet again. It’s abusive 

If it happens it’s madness.  Whole tiered system and all the planning thrown out the window because England have thrown us a few scraps. 

Pasquale for King
10 minutes ago, mrmarkus1981 said:

You can go on and off furlough as required. 

1 minute ago, JamesM48 said:

Madness isn't it. The UK government are only continuing the furlough scheme if London needs it. We are in tier 3 so won't be a huge change but places like Orkney etc must be absolutely livid

They're saying now that furlough will end in a month but it will probably be longer.  Scotland will probably need to go into lockdown at some stage so we can't miss the boat of furlough.  You just can't have a full lockdown without it.  We're either faced with having to fund our furlough separately,  even though our taxes contribute to the UK treasury and we bear our share of UK borrowing,  or we end up in a position later where we can't lockdown.  

If we go into lockdown with England then we'll come out with England.  Going into it early will probably benefit us anyway.  But it could easily be 3 months or more.  We're forced into it by an epidemic elsewhere at a more advanced stage.  

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic