Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

They're saying now that furlough will end in a month but it will probably be longer.  Scotland will probably need to go into lockdown at some stage so we can't miss the boat of furlough.  You just can't have a full lockdown without it.  We're either faced with having to fund our furlough separately,  even though our taxes contribute to the UK treasury and we bear our share of UK borrowing,  or we end up in a position later where we can't lockdown.  

If we go into lockdown with England then we'll come out with England.  Going into it early will probably benefit us anyway.  But it could easily be 3 months or more.  We're forced into it by an epidemic elsewhere at a more advanced stage.  

People have a go at NS for making things political but how can she avoid it when she's faced with this?

It's madness, absolute madness

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pasquale for King
3 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Well that’s another massive kick in the ghoulies for businesses who have just opened up again today ie restaurants / pubs as it apparently we might be going into full lockdown again within the next week as SG have furlough money from WM . So all these businesses will close yet again. It’s abusive 

You completely forgot to mention the reason given. If the furlough system is 80% then tighter restrictions now whilst its available will help curb the spread as it did in the Summer. If they don’t and it gets worse we may have to go into lockdown when less money is available for those businesses and their workers. It might well help give everyone a bit more freedom in December. 

20 minutes ago, jonesy said:

**** me, we really do need people in schools if that's the quality of communication your sausage fingers can mash into your keyboard.

***peril***

FWIW, none of my interactions have caused Covid spread. No medicine required, ta. I'll just keep breathing that lovely fresh air, sans mask.

Can you be 100% sure of that ?  If so, how ?    How do you know that you are not infectious right now ?

5 minutes ago, Gone said:

Madness isn't it. The UK government are only continuing the furlough scheme if London needs it. We are in tier 3 so won't be a huge change but places like Orkney etc must be absolutely livid

Yep I was looking forward to family weekend next weekend at Aviemore which is in tier 1 which is nearly normal but looks like that will be f@@@@

1 minute ago, Pasquale for King said:

You completely forgot to mention the reason given. If the furlough system is 80% then tighter restrictions now whilst its available will help curb the spread as it did in the Summer. If they don’t and it gets worse we may have to go into lockdown when less money is available for those businesses and their workers. It might well help give everyone a bit more freedom in December. 

I dread to think what happens if we are in a bad position and southern England aren't struggling.

1 minute ago, Gone said:

People have a go at NS for making things political but how can she avoid it when she's faced with this?

It's madness, absolute madness

She can't.  We'll need to take the furlough facility while there's money in the pot.  If the answer from the UK gvt is that it can't be banked or delayed then there's no choice.  The fact that they're having to jump through hoops to get an answer is disgusting.   But a full lockdown will put us in a decent position.  

Fxxx the SPFL
10 minutes ago, steve123 said:

A bit of clarity from the questions I think, I think she is talking about Central belt etc going to level 4 rather than whole country.

i think her veiled insinuation was the whole country. And only 69 cases on Lothian. we should be in Tier 2

Yes I am aware that full lockdowns will lower transmissions etc but it’s an endless cycle and it’s cruel for businesses who have made all gather necessary changes at a huge financial cost to them . I thought the tier system was the most sensible and fair approach as its targets area most affected . 

9 minutes ago, Gone said:

Madness isn't it. The UK government are only continuing the furlough scheme if London needs it. We are in tier 3 so won't be a huge change but places like Orkney etc must be absolutely livid

👍

Londoncentric. Manchester and Liverpool have been saying it, Wales have said it. Not a fan of the SG but this is such a **** up by the UK government. 

6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

They're saying now that furlough will end in a month but it will probably be longer.  Scotland will probably need to go into lockdown at some stage so we can't miss the boat of furlough.  You just can't have a full lockdown without it.  We're either faced with having to fund our furlough separately,  even though our taxes contribute to the UK treasury and we bear our share of UK borrowing,  or we end up in a position later where we can't lockdown.  

If we go into lockdown with England then we'll come out with England.  Going into it early will probably benefit us anyway.  But it could easily be 3 months or more.  We're forced into it by an epidemic elsewhere at a more advanced stage.  

All over the world there has been at some stage incompetence, lack of leadership, poor decision making.. the list goes on. However, I don’t envy Sturgeon having to be the one to call that decision. 

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Gone said:

I dread to think what happens if we are in a bad position and southern England aren't struggling.

Indeed, let’s hope it doesn’t get to that. They would need to get some of that £12b back from Serco to get a track and trace system that’s not on a Commodore 64. 

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

She can't.  We'll need to take the furlough facility while there's money in the pot.  If the answer from the UK gvt is that it can't be banked or delayed then there's no choice.  The fact that they're having to jump through hoops to get an answer is disgusting.   But a full lockdown will put us in a decent position.  

A decent position covid wise but it will be one hell of a winter for people's mental health.

This game has no winners

People seem surprised that Westminster is London/South centric. This isn't new. Scotland had a chance to change it and chose not to so it's a bit rich complaining about it now.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

Yes I am aware that full lockdowns will lower transmissions etc but it’s an endless cycle and it’s cruel for businesses who have made all gather necessary changes at a huge financial cost to them . I thought the tier system was the most sensible and fair approach as its targets area most affected . 

It is cruel but people dying is worse, it’s up to the U.K. government to look after every business not just their donors and pals.  

2 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

i think her veiled insinuation was the whole country. And only 69 cases on Lothian. we should be in Tier 2

Yea to be fair after I had typed my post I kinda changed my mind as to what she was trying to say.

I am no fan of hers to be honest but I think she is being treated a bit unfairly here regarding the money etc.

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, **** the SPFL said:

We should but the problem it seems is people from other areas in a higher level coming here to work and cases going up again. 

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, steve123 said:

Yea to be fair after I had typed my post I kinda changed my mind as to what she was trying to say.

I am no fan of hers to be honest but I think she is being treated a bit unfairly here regarding the money etc.

Did you hear her say Gove chaired the Cobra meeting, that’s the PMs job, missing in action again. 

2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

People seem surprised that Westminster is London/South centric. This isn't new. Scotland had a chance to change it and chose not to so it's a bit rich complaining about it now.

I voted yes for indy and know 10+ who voted no who are now yes.

Consolation I guess

If Scotland has to go in to lockdown now, to get the full access of furlough cash, the only people to blame are the chumps in charge at Westminster. Absolutely farcical that this is happening. 

Did you hear her say Gove chaired the Cobra meeting, that’s the PMs job, missing in action again. 

Never thought I'd say it but I do feel sorry for Gove and Hancock. Fed to the wolves day in day out.

3 minutes ago, Gone said:

I voted yes for indy and know 10+ who voted no who are now yes.

Consolation I guess

Indeed, albeit scant consolation. Hopefully the 10 you know is a common theme for others.

Pasquale for King
Just now, Gone said:

Never thought I'd say it but I do feel sorry for Gove and Hancock. Fed to the wolves day in day out.

I wouldn’t go that far but I agree they’ve been left in the lurch by a useless lazy lush. Character building apparently. 

Even Douglas Ross seems to support the UK gvt getting off it's fat arse to provide clarity.  

Can't take him seriously after the Leverkusen red card

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, Taffin said:

The people who voted No must’ve known that too surely, thankfully it’s changed now and only a matter of time. It’s a shame it’s taken this pandemic to open folks eyes to see what was clear to most of us. 

8 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Yea he has been throughout it all to be fair, never up for the job.

Francis Albert
24 minutes ago, Gone said:

Lots of places in England also have extremely low levels of cases including parts of London. 

Francis Albert
7 minutes ago, weehammy said:

Just a coincidence that these cities and Wales are Labour run.

There’s a dedicated thread in here for the SNP love-in.

London is also Labour run

7 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Indeed, let’s hope it doesn’t get to that. They would need to get some of that £12b back from Serco to get a track and trace system that’s not on a Commodore 64. 

On that subject .... some medical science experts have said recently that the English T&T system has flaws and limitations, rendering it not very effective in tackling the spread of the virus   .Not sure if they're referring to just the software or the time taken by the tracer people to contact folk.       If  the Scotland T&P app & process  is working reasonably well & proving its worth, why are the other UK nations not using it too ?    Is it just down to nationalistic pride (stubbornness)  on the part of politicians ?   Seems baffling in the middle of a public health crisis.   

3 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

Lots of places in England also have extremely low levels of cases including parts of London. 

Do you reckon if somewhere in London went into a local lockdown they'd have to jump through hoops for furlough money though?

The Real Maroonblood
1 hour ago, JamesM48 said:

Very true . I had to call docs last week and was informed by an irate sounding receptionist that I would be given a telephone consultation , despite the fact that I requested a face to face one . The doc phoned me back and agreed face to face Meeting at surgery next day . I went along and yet again miserable sounding receptionist answered the bell when I rang and let me in to sit in waiting room. This was at 11 am and this tends to be the busier times but I was only One there , incredibly the doc still didn’t see me at my appointment time and had to wait 20 mins . So what exactly are nhs staff doing in surgeries ? 

It does seem odd that surgeries are not fully operational.

I managed to get a proper consultation at my practice but they are generally telephone ones.

Mask wearing has been sporadic here today.  50-50.  So far I've had a chin bib wearer who was asked to put his mask on properly if he was going to speak while he was being dealt with,  plus a "ho ho sorry forgot ma mask ho ho" who was asked to go and get it then.  He said ok but.. didn't.. then went about why he came in in the first place.

I'm just going to start telling people now.  If they don't give a **** then I'm not going to give a **** if they think they're unfairly treated.

Edited by Victorian

10 minutes ago, jonesy said:

On a related tangent, there are equally dangerous, easier to prevent, risks that occur on a daily basis. I passed three idling diesel vehicles on my way to work, just near my sons' school this morning. It's also illegal to idle while parked. But we don't have officious do-gooders running around stopping this from happening. 

You should have had a word with them, jonesy. You're the hero this country needs.

1 hour ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Well shame isn't something you're ver likely to suffer from. 

Eh?

These rules are in place as a matter of life and death. 

The Real Maroonblood

Mask wearing has been sporadic here today.  50-50.  So far I've had a chin bin wearer who was asked to put his mask on properly if he was going to speak while he was being dealt with,  plus a "ho ho sorry forgot ma mask ho ho" who was asked to go and get it then.  He said ok but.. didn't.. then went about why he came in in the first place.

I'm just going to start telling people now.  If they don't give a **** then I'm not going to give a **** if they think they're unfairly treated.

👍

Mask wearing has been sporadic here today.  50-50.  So far I've had a chin bib wearer who was asked to put his mask on properly if he was going to speak while he was being dealt with,  plus a "ho ho sorry forgot ma mask ho ho" who was asked to go and get it then.  He said ok but.. didn't.. then went about why he came in in the first place.

Well said 

EAF3B96E-764F-43DA-BACC-0F9FFD463A2D.jpeg

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

I applaud your determination. However, don't forget to be sensitive and polite - some people have genuine reasons for not wearing one.

Then they should get others to do their shopping for them if they are really that bad mate.  Too many people take advantage of this 

19 minutes ago, Francis Albert said:

What is your definition of 'extremely low'? All boroughs in Greater London have more than 100 cases per 100,000. 

although the BBC are showing Lewisham at 99 per 100,000 as at 29 October (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274). 

Adam_the_legend
39 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

It is cruel but people dying is worse, it’s up to the U.K. government to look after every business not just their donors and pals.  

People die as a result of lockdowns/restrictions. They don’t have a shiny new virus though so no one gives a ****

6 minutes ago, Jambo 4 Ever said:

Then they should get others to do their shopping for them if they are really that bad mate.  Too many people take advantage of this 

What about the snoods that folk wear?  

That’s what I wear and I can tell it does nothing at all :lol: zero protection for me or those around me (like the majority of face coverings that folk wear)

Suppose it’s a comfort blanket for folk really.

Scottish numbers: 2 November 2020

Summary

• 951 new cases of COVID-19 reported [-197]
  • 0 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive (noting that Register Offices are now generally closed at weekends) [-6]
  • 93 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+12]
  • 1,225 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+32]
  • 11,090 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 9.6% of these were positive [+2.6%]

20 minutes ago, jonesy said:

This is hilarious. Weeks of trying to be different from England with an absurd and illogical tier-system, only for her to drop her crusty tartan knickers at the first flash of the cash from London. The finest comedy writers in the world couldn't have scripted this. 

While I have some sympathy for @AlimOzturk's views, I subscribe more to the idea of general incompetence across the board. However, it is due to this incompetence that those with nefarious intentions* can and will succeed. 

*China's already doing quite well for itself, economically.

* Pharmaceutical companies, while employing fine scientific minds, are having money thrown at them and are answerable to shareholders as much as regulators

*Bezos developing his monopoly on, er, everything

It's not like that though is it?

We either take the money now or possibly get none when it matters. Don't know how anyone could turn this against the Scottish Government when it's clearly the UK Government who aren't making this as simple as it should be. 

Will be interesting to see what happens if we were to go into a full lockdown whilst the UK (predominantly the south) are looking good. What happens then?

Amazing how many people don't realise the UK are borrowing this money either. The number of people who think England are doing us a favour is incredible

Per-board per-100,000 case stats:

(Scotland 17 [-4])

Lanarkshire 40 [+2], Greater Glasgow 33 [-4], Ayrshire 21 [-1], Forth Valley 11 [-7], Borders 10 [+1], Fife 10 [=].

Lothian 8 [-7], Tayside 8 [-5], Dumfries & Galloway 7 [-2].

Others: 3 or less.

Adam_the_legend
4 minutes ago, redjambo said:

Scottish numbers: 2 November 2020

Summary

• 951 new cases of COVID-19 reported [-197]
  • 0 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive (noting that Register Offices are now generally closed at weekends) [-6]
  • 93 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+12]
  • 1,225 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [+32]
  • 11,090 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 9.6% of these were positive [+2.6%]

Cases seem to be on a downward trajectory now. Is it possible we’ve just experienced a spike due to uni’s opening and no getting back to a normalised level?

8 minutes ago, Shanks said:

What about the snoods that folk wear?  

That’s what I wear and I can tell it does nothing at all :lol: zero protection for me or those around me (like the majority of face coverings that folk wear)

Suppose it’s a comfort blanket for folk really.

Why don’t you wear a mask then? What’s your excuse?

1 minute ago, Adam_the_legend said:

Cases seem to be on a downward trajectory now. Is it possible we’ve just experienced a spike due to uni’s opening and no getting back to a normalised level?

They've certainly stabilised. Being a cautious bod and it also being at the end of the weekend, I would wait a wee while to decide that there is an actual downward trajectory but yes, this could well be us now recovering from the university spike, imo. In saying that though, Greater Glasgow was showing significantly greater case figures before the universities went back - the effects of our inability to effectively nip that in the bud early enough, and its subsequent spread to Lanarkshire and Ayrshire, are still evident in the figures.

UK and devolved gvts to plan a coordinated approach for measures over Christmas period.  

One less reason for people to bleat like imbeciles.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic