Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Had one lycra clad cow shout at my kids for meandering along the pavement as she tried to 'get in her 5k' or whatever crap these losers do. Ensured she heard the 'And that would be the type of woman you wouldn't want to marry,' comment. Her face was priceless.

I won't criticize joggers/runners or anybody trying to stay fit, I did plenty of that myself back in the day.

Lycra, suppose it depends on how neat & tidy the wearer is.

2 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Yes, but the subsequent outbreak of unicorns and rainbows would have killed us all.

I'm not advocating anything, just wondered if it would've been the case. Is the unicorn not the national animal of Scotland? I think it is... 

4 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Yes, but the subsequent outbreak of unicorns and rainbows would have killed us all.

We've already had the rainbows.

32b4c60f65ecb076b370d68c1a59857957d46126

Governor Tarkin
29 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

Would we be over this of everyone had stuck to the guidelines?  

We pretty much were over it until society started to open back up again.

Short of the virus mutating itself out of existance or a miracle vaccine the exact same thing will happen every time the human race begins to emerge from it's enforced hibernations.

1 hour ago, redjambo said:

Scottish numbers: 31 October 2020

Summary

• 1,101 new cases of COVID-19 reported [-280]
  • 24 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive [+6]
  • 80 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [-3]
  • 1,149 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [-21]
  • 20,570 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 6.2% of these were positive

Thank you for continuing to post these figures. I look for it daily as it's a quick and easy snapshot to see where we are heading.

Just now, Governor Tarkin said:

We pretty much were over it until society started to open back up again.

Short of the virus mutating itself out of existance or a miracle vaccine the exact same thing will happen every time the human race begins to emerge from it's enforced hibernations.

So our quality of life is affected until a vaccine is found?  It'll be like VE day when they announce that they've found a vaccine.  

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Yes, but no unicorns surfing them.

Perhaps if I hadn't had my family round for supper last week we could have got there.

Mony a mickle maks a muckle.

24 minutes ago, jonesy said:

No problem with physical and mental fitness. I did try jogging once, but that was only because my little house in Tunisia had terrible heating and I never banked on the winter being so cold!

However, joggers on city streets are a pain in the arse. 

Fortunately as I live in the country, I have never experienced that, so I'll take your word for it.

7 minutes ago, jonesy said:

...was the name of a fundraising drive by the Scottish Independence Foundation. :interehjrling:

:joker:

Anyway, as three of them work in very exposed jobs and another in a small retail store where social distancing is impossible and mask wearing wasn't compulsory during the height of the actual pandemic, I'm surprised we haven't all keeled over by now. 😛 

Solid genes.

1 hour ago, jonesy said:

Define 'responsibly'. I, and many others act in accordance with an independent ability to identify and assess risks to ourselves and others. It is less responsible to follow government guidelines sans critical thinking. Blaming the public is the classic divide and conquer tactic authorities use when they know their message is too weak to pass muster with folk who are capable of critical thinking and may arrive at different conclusions.

I wouldn't take things at face value either but the default position should be to abide by the rules. If you don't like them that's no reason for not abiding by them. If you don't think they are merited then you should explore the issue. That is why we have Q and A every day in Scotland so that people can challenge the guidelines and rules they have had imposed on them. You really should make an effort to see Jason when he is on so that you can see how it's done. 

The vast majority of the public have done as asked but there are people out there who have no regard for the rules. I'm blaming them not the public in general. The fact that a fairly small percentage among us doesn't get it is not really the fault of government or their weak message. It may be government's fault for not enforcing their rules rigorously enough though. People dancing around in the streets after closing time, people in shops and public transport without masks others failing to socially distance, house parties and raves are all irresponsible at the moment. Those who behave like that are not critical thinkers, they are in many cases selfish as they seem unable or unwilling to moderate their behaviour for a limited time for the greater public good.

I don't get to act "in accordance with an independent ability to identify and assess risks to ourselves and others"  in any other area of our lives so why public health. I might have decided it was a good idea to murder Jimmy Savile after having "assessed the risks to ourselves and others". Are you saying that i should be allowed to do that? 

We were told that masks don't work by the same people who then turned around and told us to wear them. We want the old and frail shut out of society or, shielded, as it would allow the vast majority of the population the ability to ensure there is a recognisable society at the other end of this nonsense. Long term effects of Covid are as yet unidentifiable. A few anecdotal stories do not provide evidence that 'long covid' is any different from other long term effects associated with viral illness. Not nice, but not uncommon.

We didn't have enough masks for the public at the start and they now claim research has informed them that masks have a net beneficial effect, i don't see the problem. 

The trouble with shutting the old and frail out is that most of us do not want to do that. There are more than enough difficulties for them already and so surely trying to suppress the virus with a limited amount of restrictions gives everybody some semblance of normality and a decent life. The reason for lifting restrictions and reopening businesses is apparently because without doing so there will be untold levels of depression and mental illness. Why is that consideration not extended to the elderly and frail? The conditions required to keep them safe would be extremely costly and difficult to maintain and probably wouldn't work anyway. What sort of a society offers that option to the old and sick? What do you think is going to happen if you don't flatten the curve? This will be detrimental to everybody, illness and death will be higher in both the short term and the long term. The damage to society will therefore be greater. Long covid may not yet be or ever be a major consideration and it might not be pertinent either that the average age of those contracting the disease is falling albeit slightly but it would be foolish to disregard these issues before more is known. 

The virus didn't make businesses unviable. That was calculated government decision. I don't doubt that they don't want this situation, but their actions are only making it worse, like children trying to erase part of their picture by scribbling over it. They'd be better off chucking it in the bin and starting again. They're too scared to do that, though, so out come the Crayolas again...scribble, scribble, scribble :(

Of course the virus didn't make businesses unviable but it wasn't a  "calculated government decision" either. Part of our problem arose from being indecisive and much of it from being unprepared. I'm sure you were fulsome in your support for "taking it on the chin" and then the furlough system. We are here because the UK government's instinctive response was to support business and not people.   Part of the reason businesses are struggling is because many people have chosen to "act in accordance with an independent ability to identify and assess risks to ourselves" and decided the risks are too great. They are not going out to hospitality venues because they know there is a risk there and they know some are not well run. If the infection rates had remained lower then confidence would be higher but unfortunately the selfish few have sometimes ruined it for the rest of us.

2 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

Think that's a problem with the press, not the scientists. 

Boris' press conference moved already. 5pm now. None of us will see it. 

Did you make that request?

2 hours ago, redjambo said:

Scottish numbers: 31 October 2020

Summary

• 1,101 new cases of COVID-19 reported [-280]
  • 24 new reported death(s) of people who have tested positive [+6]
  • 80 people were in intensive care yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [-3]
  • 1,149 people were in hospital yesterday with recently confirmed COVID-19 [-21]
  • 20,570 new tests for COVID-19 that reported results – 6.2% of these were positive

Thanks for taking the time to post these stats each day Red.  It's useful to see them in that format, with the daily change. The first daily drop in hospital admissions for a while iirc

1 hour ago, Auldbenches said:

So our quality of life is affected until a vaccine is found?  It'll be like VE day when they announce that they've found a vaccine.  

Sorry bud, no big announcement will ever take place. Whoever "THEY" are could have a vaccine as I type, but will be ultra cautious how they break this to the nation, I mean, at what level will the current selfish, arrogant party animals plateau if only one big announcement was made...Pluto?

Edited by OBE

Just now, OBE said:

Sorry bud, no big announcement will ever take place. Whoever "THEY" are could have a vaccine as I type, but will ultra cautious how they break this to the nation, I mean, at what level will the current selfish, arrogant party animals plateau if only one big announcement was made...Pluto?

You're right in that it won't be this big announcement.  Also the fact that they will have to prioritise who gets it first.  

SectionFJambo

If England locks down Scotland surely has to change tact as well. I have felt for a while a lockdown would be better than tiers/levels etc.

You go outside and see queues outside cafes and such like and it's not hard to see people don't get it. The winter season will see massive increases in suspected outbreaks too everytime someone has a snuffle.  

Boris and co have been so cautious throughout if they are locking down it says it all. Our figures might be better but not that much better.

2 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Thanks for taking the time to post these stats each day Red.  It's useful to see them in that format, with the daily change. The first daily drop in hospital admissions for a while iirc

No problem, Enzo. I'm not actually sure what the hospital admissions figure is, as that figure is the net figure of Covid patients in hospital rather than a breakdown of admissions as well as departures due to patients getting better, no longer being included in the Covid stats because they've been in so long, and deaths.

The hospital admission numbers seem to be released in weekly tranches. If you check out the dashboard at https://public.tableau.com/profile/phs.covid.19#!/vizhome/COVID-19DailyDashboard_15960160643010/Overview (View daily update->Hospital admissions) then there is data up to 27 October.

Linekar quite happy to abide by the BBC's insane new "no personal opinions on anything, ever, either at the office on in your private life" rules

:greatpost:

SectionFJambo

sounds like scotland will join the lockdown from early comments. NS basically suggesting she will ask to bank the furlough cash for Scotland until later and that will form part of the decision.

Absolutely no danger Scotland (or other devolved nations) will get separate furlough scheme so it will be a do it now with extra backing or risk doing it later without.

For me it's a  no brainer - if England's locked down then we should join them and hopefully flatten the curve even more so than it might have been.

2 minutes ago, SectionFJambo said:

sounds like scotland will join the lockdown from early comments. NS basically suggesting she will ask to bank the furlough cash for Scotland until later and that will form part of the decision.

Absolutely no danger Scotland (or other devolved nations) will get separate furlough scheme so it will be a do it now with extra backing or risk doing it later without.

For me it's a  no brainer - if England's locked down then we should join them and hopefully flatten the curve even more so than it might have been.

Why should furlough only be offered when England is in trouble? Fecking unbelievable. 

3 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Why should furlough only be offered when England is in trouble? Fecking unbelievable. 

100% if that is the case her tier system is fecked- she would make herself look very silly if she did.

8 minutes ago, SectionFJambo said:

Na you either follow a UK approach or you don't, you can't keep going for the most stringent that is available.

Nicola shut alot of things down in Scotland to stop us going the same way as England she can't now say we are going that way anyway and seem credible !!

SectionFJambo
5 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

It's not a devolved scheme, the practicalities of offering it at different times just wouldn't work. The SNP however can put out a Scotland only scheme if they wish at any time with the money the barnett formula affords.  Maybe they will agree it being banked for Scotland but I'd be absolutely shocked.

Ultimately they won't and if the UK treasury is bankrolling it will need to use their rules and timescales.

2 minutes ago, steve123 said:

100% if that is the case her tier system is fecked- she would make herself look very silly if she did.

Furlough should be available to any country or region that needs it. Not when one and only one is on't trouble. It scandalous. 

SectionFJambo

It is available - there will be plenty of Scottish companies that use it for November whether we lock down or not. It would be sensible to use the time and money to have a lockdown though rather than potentially leaving it as is then having to lockdown later without the scheme. 

1 minute ago, steve123 said:

Na you either follow a UK approach or you don't, you can't keep going for the most stringent that is available.

Nicola shut alot of things down in Scotland to stop us going the same way as England she can't now say we are going that way anyway and seem credible !!

Why? Listen folks we've controlled this but if we get in trouble in December the money won't be available for us as it is only when England is in the shite. 

3 hours ago, Cade said:

Linekar quite happy to abide by the BBC's insane new "no personal opinions on anything, ever, either at the office on in your private life" rules

:greatpost:

🤣

4 minutes ago, SectionFJambo said:

It's not a devolved scheme, the practicalities of offering it at different times just wouldn't work. The SNP however can put out a Scotland only scheme if they wish at any time with the money the barnett formula affords.  Maybe they will agree it being banked for Scotland but I'd be absolutely shocked.

Ultimately they won't and if the UK treasury is bankrolling it will need to use their rules and timescales.

I'm not saying that, but if England were not on its knees, the other 3 would be fecked by tomorrow, if furlough was stopping. But hey presto it's back. 

Why should SG fund this, it's not in their budget. If you think they should fund it, give them borrowing powers and border control. 

SectionFJambo

Take it the other way I don't recall NS and co asking the UK to stop the furlough scheme early when Scotland was looking a bit better to bank it for later. 

I doubt any government in the world had budgets for the Covid situation. What they would have budgets for is social security and I am pretty sure thats a devolved issue so NS would be well advised to be aware if she doesn't ride the furlough train it will come out their budget when they all get dumped out of a job if she has to announce a lockdown in December or January.

Also worth remembering for everyone of these announcements a cheque makes it way to Holyrood.

20 minutes ago, SectionFJambo said:

She couldn't possibly, effectively move some parts of the country from Level 1 to Level 4 just because she fancies a bit of a lockdown. Scientific evidence has been notable in it's absence through much of this whole sh*t show but that would make her look ridiculous, having just announced the tiered system. Edinburgh,  for example, is heading nearer towards level 2 and 1 than up the way. These are people's jobs, businesses and livelihoods that politicians are f**ing about with.

9 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Why? Listen folks we've controlled this but if we get in trouble in December the money won't be available for us as it is only when England is in the shite. 

Because if you set out a system you need to trust it and go with it, if she wants to lock Lanarkshire etc down carry on but islands etc with a very low level should not be affected the same ( I would even say keep lothian in tier 3 )

15 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Furlough should be available to any country or region that needs it. Not when one and only one is on't trouble. It scandalous. 

100% agree

SectionFJambo

I don't see how if they turn round and say the goalposts have changed it can be seen to badly on them. Other option is to do regionalised lockdowns and tighten it up further in most areas whilst furlough is there to support jobs. 

I'd imagine the places who were already verging on everything being shut would be stupid not to fast track it. 

I keep looking around though and every country is locking down, the figures are getting worse and can't look past a lockdown.  I do genuinely believe a 4 week lockdown now is going to be the difference between this flattening through the 2nd wave and not.

Also need to factor in the knobends deciding to do a border flit on the weekends.

SectionFJambo

On a separate note though the stats are all extremely conclusive now. Get this and your under 40 then unless you have very serious health conditions you have little to worry about, even the under 60's in same boat, 60-75 not too bad, once your over 75 really start to worry and over 85's probably need to get their affairs in order. 

It does  add an interesting avenue as to what you do though as ultimately the people who want to go on as normal aren't the ones paying the price.

1 minute ago, SectionFJambo said:

I don't see how if they turn round and say the goalposts have changed it can be seen to badly on them. Other option is to do regionalised lockdowns and tighten it up further in most areas whilst furlough is there to support jobs. 

I'd imagine the places who were already verging on everything being shut would be stupid not to fast track it. 

I keep looking around though and every country is locking down, the figures are getting worse and can't look past a lockdown.  I do genuinely believe a 4 week lockdown now is going to be the difference between this flattening through the 2nd wave and not.

Also need to factor in the knobends deciding to do a border flit on the weekends.

Because she has spent all year saying your greater sacrifice will play out in the end etc, England have been with the rule of 6 etc even until today.

She can't say she has made all these different choices in lockdown longer etc then still be in the same position at the end of it- people will lose faith and it will go to pot.

SectionFJambo
Just now, steve123 said:

Because she has spent all year saying your greater sacrifice will play out in the end etc, England have been with the rule of 6 etc even until today.

She can't say she has made all these different choices in lockdown longer etc then still be in the same position at the end of it- people will lose faith and it will go to pot.

You could argue that sounds like the guy in the hole who keeps digging.

It all comes down to whether you  believe Scotland is really much better off that a lockdown's going to be avoided. For me though it's a doubling up bet for NS. If she doesn't lockdown now and we have to do it later the damage is almost twice as bad for her as not only does she end up there, she does it with less financial support for people than otherwise they could have.

10 minutes ago, SectionFJambo said:

You could argue that sounds like the guy in the hole who keeps digging.

It all comes down to whether you  believe Scotland is really much better off that a lockdown's going to be avoided. For me though it's a doubling up bet for NS. If she doesn't lockdown now and we have to do it later the damage is almost twice as bad for her as not only does she end up there, she does it with less financial support for people than otherwise they could have.

I would suggest ( as I am really discussing and don't have all the answers) that if we are not in a better position then the justification for our hospitality etc being more affected is very weak also there are industries ie soft play etc that have never opened again.

I would find it hard to explain to anyone how we should be in same position as England now with decisions taken previously.

Edited by steve123

13 minutes ago, SectionFJambo said:

On a separate note though the stats are all extremely conclusive now. Get this and your under 40 then unless you have very serious health conditions you have little to worry about, even the under 60's in same boat, 60-75 not too bad, once your over 75 really start to worry and over 85's probably need to get their affairs in order. 

It does  add an interesting avenue as to what you do though as ultimately the people who want to go on as normal aren't the ones paying the price.

Even, over the age of 90, the majority of people survive Covid. Nearly every single death is among those with underlying conditions  - 98% or so. Pretty much like all viruses, including flu, it affects the most vulnerable.  For 99.5% of people,  the human immune system is the cure.

Reading on another forum about people saying lockdowns a joke.

they don’t realise it’s all about the NHS.  Hospitals would be full by December then what happens ? Decisions on who dies first by not being able to admit. Heart attack ? Stroke ? Emergencies? Or covid patients ? Who do they choose who lives ? A 79 year old or a 30 year old ?

really don’t see what folk don’t understand. It’s all about saving lives and those outside covid

Great speech from this guy destroying the warped logic of lockdowns.

Anyone still in the lockdown side of things after listening to that does not deserve any freedom, let alone trying to curtail what goes on in others people lifes that they've never met before.

Happy Saturday everyone.

1 minute ago, heartstastic said:

Great speech from this guy destroying the warped logic of lockdowns.

Anyone still in the lockdown side of things after listening to that does not deserve any freedom, let alone trying to curtail what goes on in others people lifes that they've never met before.

Happy Saturday everyone.

So UK, Spain, France, Germany, Italy, Australia, New Zealand and many other countries which did, and are re-introducing, lockdown are all wrong and this guy is right?  Should he be running those countries?  Sounds like it.

1 minute ago, Gards said:

So UK, Spain, France, Germany, Italy, Australia, New Zealand and many other countries which did, and are re-introducing, lockdown are all wrong and this guy is right?  Should he be running those countries?  Sounds like it.

Seeing as you've yet to watch it and are already in an appeal to authority fallacy mindset, probably best if you leave this alone and save yourself any cognitive dissonance.

2 minutes ago, Gards said:

Sorry - and to add Ireland, Belgium, Netherlands, Portugal, Czech Republic and Greece are also wrong and again this guy is right?

4 minutes ago, heartstastic said:

Seeing as you've yet to watch it and are already in an appeal to authority fallacy mindset, probably best if you leave this alone and save yourself any cognitive dissonance.

Nah, I'll stick with the scientists rather than a 'libertarian' author which also includes such classics lile 'The Church and the Market: A Catholic Defense of the Free Economy, '

You're alright.

4 minutes ago, Gards said:

Nah, I'll stick with the scientists rather than a 'libertarian' author which also includes such classics lile 'The Church and the Market: A Catholic Defense of the Free Economy, '

You're alright.

Scientists or 'the science'...which one is it? seeing as there's hundreds of scientists and medical professionals challenging the offical narative.

You can choose to stay ignorant all you want of you can look at both sides of the story and come to your own conclusions.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic