Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Governor Tarkin
4 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

If she goes for a full lockdown now, with her precious furlough guaranteed by Boris, she will make herself look absolutely ridiculous.  We need an exit strategy not another lockdown.  It will be for ideological reasons only, with no supporting evidence, if she decides to simply follow England into lockdown.

I think she'll give us at least a week and see which direction our numbers are headded.

Hopefully the prospect of lockdown puts the shiters up some of the misbehavers and we see positive results.

It will be interesting to see how England gets on with the schools and uni's still open, though. I suspect their numbers won't drop off as drastically as they are hoping within the four week period.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

Almost 1 in 2 people voted Tory at the last election. That's even scarier.

Even scarier is that they have some Scottish MPs... 

If 1 in 37 have it and we aren't hearing about hospitals full to the brim with covid patients, does that not mean it isn't having the same effect it had at the beginning of the last lockdown?  

Seymour M Hersh
2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

They do a weekly random community survey to extrapolate a virus prevalence.   3% could well be possible as it was nearing 2% nationally recently.

Sounds very much like the hit or miss (mostly miss) polls conducted where about 1k people are asked a question and abracadabra you have 60% of the country in favour of this, that or the next thing. 

1 minute ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Sounds very much like the hit or miss (mostly miss) polls conducted where about 1k people are asked a question and abracadabra you have 60% of the country in favour of this, that or the next thing. 

:rofl: it's not a poll.  It's virus testing.  It's a highly robust and respected metric by the system they have.  Not hit or miss in any way.

Seymour M Hersh
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

:rofl: it's not a poll.  It's virus testing.  It's a highly robust and respected metric by the system they have.  Not hit or miss in any way.

Arguably it is hit or miss depending on the area they test. 

Malinga the Swinga

Took the weekend off from posting on here due to rugby, the game and then the worst news of Marius passing away. Had a look again today and good to see nothing changed.

Those who don't like NS still don't like NS

Those who love NS still love NS

Those who don't like BJ still don't like BJ

We may be in for Lockdown or we may not

J4E is still a troll

Hibs are still shite

6 hours ago, Gone said:

People have a go at NS for making things political but how can she avoid it when she's faced with this?

It's madness, absolute madness

Indeed. 

Seymour M Hersh
Just now, Auldbenches said:

What's your thinking if these figures are true?  

A bit meh tbh. If 1 in 37 are infected it doesn't extrapolate out to deaths or even hospitalisations. Have they ever given out figures for those infected who never needed any hospitalisation?  As with everything surrounding the Wuhan virus they are very selective about what they release. And mostly it seems to be for maximum scare value. 

4 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Arguably it is hit or miss depending on the area they test. 

I think you might be better to go and find out about what it is and it's methodology before you cast your critical eye over it.  

24 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

If she goes for a full lockdown now, with her precious furlough guaranteed by Boris, she will make herself look absolutely ridiculous.  We need an exit strategy not another lockdown.  It will be for ideological reasons only, with no supporting evidence, if she decides to simply follow England into lockdown.

The only thing that looks ridiculous in this situation is people still thinking that remaining in the union is a good idea. 

It's either take the full lockdown down now while it can be funded or risk needing to lockdown in a few weeks and not being able to fund it. The UK government should be doing the right thing and allowing Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland to use the furlough scheme when they need it, not just when it suits England.

1 minute ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

A bit meh tbh. If 1 in 37 are infected it doesn't extrapolate out to deaths or even hospitalisations. Have they ever given out figures for those infected who never needed any hospitalisation?  As with everything surrounding the Wuhan virus they are very selective about what they release. And mostly it seems to be for maximum scare value. 

It doesn't seem to be having the immediate impact on people like it did at the beginning of this.  I mean that the ICU units etc don't seem to be full like it was, but that doesn't mean it isn't one causing long term damage to the health of those who catch it. 

Do you really think that they are only doing things to scare us?   Last question before I deported to Hamilton... 

The Mighty Thor
16 minutes ago, Governor Tarkin said:

It will be interesting to see how England gets on with the schools and uni's still open, though. I suspect their numbers won't drop off as drastically as they are hoping within the four week period.

I agree. 

This will be a test bed for the (misguided IMO) theory that schools ain't spreading it. 

And he’s not praying!

An utter shambles.

Nobody should be surprised given what we’ve witnessed thus far but ****in hell.

I was meant to be going onto the other scheme starting next week (shortened hours) but there’s meetings between management and union tomorrow and Wednesday.

I can see myself being furloughed again, tbh.

14 minutes ago, Ray Gin said:

The only thing that looks ridiculous in this situation is people still thinking that remaining in the union is a good idea. 

It's either take the full lockdown down now while it can be funded or risk needing to lockdown in a few weeks and not being able to fund it. The UK government should be doing the right thing and allowing Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland to use the furlough scheme when they need it, not just when it suits England.

**Breaking News**

Boris announced that in the Commons. Sturgeon will need to think of another excuse. She's been scuppered again.

Seymour M Hersh
29 minutes ago, Victorian said:

I think you might be better to go and find out about what it is and it's methodology before you cast your critical eye over it.  

Perhaps you should have made it clearer in your first response.  

Just now, Seymour M Hersh said:

Perhaps you should have made it clearer in your first response.  

Should I,  aye?  So it's my fault that you had no clue what the ONS community surveillance is?

Guid yin.

Seymour M Hersh
28 minutes ago, Auldbenches said:

It doesn't seem to be having the immediate impact on people like it did at the beginning of this.  I mean that the ICU units etc don't seem to be full like it was, but that doesn't mean it isn't one causing long term damage to the health of those who catch it. 

Do you really think that they are only doing things to scare us?   Last question before I deported to Hamilton... 

SAGE, pretty much. I refer you to this article I linked earlier today. 

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/11/01/death-scenarios-used-government-justify-second-national-lockdown/

CavySlaveJambo
2 hours ago, JamesM48 said:

A neighbour of my sister had a person in his house who was diagnosed with Covid.  He and his son didnt get it or were at least asymptomatic.  One of them is in his 50s and smokes 100 fags a day...no kidding and his COPD and asthma.  Bizarre. 

20% of cases responsible for 80% of transmissions.   (reported in an article in the Atlantic on spread by overdispersion/superspreading that is linked early in the thread)  

So not that bizarre. 

Also keep an eye on the Midlothian numbers. they are still high on a rolling 7 day basis.  Given where people shop etc, might be why they are not reducing Edinburgh/E Lothian in to tier 2. 

Edited by CavySlaveJambo

Seymour M Hersh
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Should I,  aye?  So it's my fault that you had no clue what the ONS community surveillance is?

Guid yin.

"They do a weekly random community survey to extrapolate a virus prevalence". You really are a sanctimonious clown. 

Just now, Seymour M Hersh said:

"They do a weekly random community survey to extrapolate a virus prevalence". You really are a sanctimonious clown. 

You assumed a survey is someone taking a poll.  :rofl:

Do you have the virus? Erm...aye.  Erm... naw.   

No.  THIS survey is in the form of testing for virus.  A different survey.

Clown indeed.

1 minute ago, weehammy said:

So you got the answer you said you wanted but now Boris is a liar so you’re still f****ng moaning.:vrface:

It should never have been an issue so I'm entitled to a moan.

Out of curiosity and I'm not looking to have a go at you I'm genuinely interested, how do you think Boris has handled this?

32 minutes ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

**Breaking News**

Boris announced that in the Commons. Sturgeon will need to think of another excuse. She's been scuppered again.

She didn't want to have a full lockdown in the first place. 👍

1 minute ago, weehammy said:

To answer your question:

I don’t think Boris is especially suited to this kind of disaster management so I think communication has been less effective in England. Sturgeon was born for the podium and , unlike Boris, has been on every day for months so certainly ought to have drummed home her message with greater effect.

Johnson has also been willing to throw money at the problem, however inadequate and temporary that may turn out to be.

The administrations have fallen into very similar errors regarding care homes, students returning, etc. So I’m unwilling to criticise either Sturgeon or Johnson for that because they and their advisors have operated in uncharted territory and I’m sure neither  intended to cause harm.
Some people like to equate Johnson with Trump but that is also wrong. Johnson has never denied or minimised the effects of the pandemic the way Trump has.

Johnson is much more of a people person than Trump and I genuinely think he cares but he's so clumsy and it is hurting his rep day by day.

I'm not a Tory fan by any means but give me Boris over Trump every day of the week.

5 minutes ago, Ak47 said:

Start a new job tomorrow at the covid testing centre in Leith 😬 opens next week i think. 

Stay safe but Corona is the least of your viral worries down there :)

Pasquale for King
1 hour ago, Gone said:

Johnson is much more of a people person than Trump and I genuinely think he cares but he's so clumsy and it is hurting his rep day by day.

I'm not a Tory fan by any means but give me Boris over Trump every day of the week.

Both gone soon hopefully, he might not have the cash to pay if he loses this case. https://m.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/government-sued-dido-harding-test-and-trace_uk_5f9ff885c5b65662bcc91ecd?guccounter=1&guce_referrer=aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuYmluZy5jb20vc2VhcmNoP3E9am9obnNvbiUyMGFiZCUyMGhhbmNvY2slMjBzdSZwYz1NT1pXJmZvcm09TU9aV1NC&guce_referrer_sig=AQAAAN6qPHmeoRVjqw5k0Pu1Va6ezyC7-uVMsSLTlV3bsH0WnNyedKazGh3xp4F-gnoRKt8sx9UMKGU2EMwoheJpGMs3XeQm0UDFuqQS0mUkFWTKvfOLyFktknKUq0Fzm7ifjweLFdo-49utLHLCh308lt5zgkLWxFnJgjUMABJTD9hA

On 01/11/2020 at 20:11, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

is it realistically possible to transfer these strategies to the western world ?

like why don’t we just make our own stuff and compete with China in manufacturing - oh how do we do that - yeah pay the workers a penny a day etc - oh wait

probably qualifies this post as a doom monger post - sorry about that :(

Isn't a major reason for relatively low numbers in S.Korea and China related to them regularly having to deal with coronaviruses ?  Consequently they're well-practised in the test/track/trace processes, despite having huge populations - plus China's iron fist governance probably makes their population's compliance with official instructions close to 100%.      Your point about making medical stuff in the UK is valid though - the lunacy of outsourcing manufacture to the lowest bidder is coming home to roost.

Last night's BBC2 documentary about the USA's failings and dithering (amplified by Trump's arrogance,  denials and firing of the science experts who tried to change his laissez-faire  Covid policy) revealed the same issue of no stockpile and only 1 manufacturer in the country.

Edited by Lone Striker

Weakened Offender
1 minute ago, Back to 2005 said:

So if this is all about protecting our health why does it depend on a handout from Westminster if we go in to lockdown?..

Why are you calling it a handout from Westminster? 

And he’s not praying!
10 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

So if this is all about protecting our health why does it depend on a handout from Westminster if we go in to lockdown?..

Should Scotland not be entitled to the same support as England?

Just now, jonesy said:

You're meant to quote one of JiH's posts when you make comments like that :) 

He's a troll as well.  Surprised anyone would bother with him.

Newsnight reporting a fast result,  mass test imminently available.  To be trialled in Liverpool.   

Aye,  barry.  But will people isolate?  They're not so far.  This will pick up loads of asymptomatics.  Will they isolate?  

20 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

If it's not about health, what do you think it's about?

1 minute ago, jonesy said:

I've got him/her/it on ignore but get tempted to look, just now and again, and just for the giraffes. 🤭

You might be a sanctimonious, patronising, doom-mongering bore, but at least you come across as a genuine sanctimonious, patronising, doom-mongering bore 😛 :joker: 🐳

You should just put me on ignore instead.  Becoming less tolerant to your snash tbh.

The Real Maroonblood
31 minutes ago, Back to 2005 said:

:rofl:

John Edmunds explaining that the well known metrics will be very hard to analyse regarding how effective the latest measures are being.  All due to the slower burning nature of this wave.  He suggested the metrics will show an extended plateau.  He says the key indicators going forward will be the community surveillance surveys (not some spotty, speccy ***** with a clipboard Seymour).  

I think he's spot on.  The best place to see progress will be in the community infection surveys.

33 minutes ago, And he’s not praying! said:

Should Scotland not be entitled to the same support as England?

Course they should but your missing the point.

36 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

If it's not about health, what do you think it's about?

Dont know but hospital admissions for respiratory infections are average. Despite what they are telling us. So why are they lying? 

Screenshot_20201102-232821_Twitter.jpg

Cairneyhill Jambo
3 hours ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

**Breaking News**

Sturgeon wasn't scuppered. The bumbling buffoon Boris had to back track because he was acting like a twat and was facing a massive backlash from the other devolved administrations. Do you think its acceptable that Scotland can only claim furlough cash when England is in lockdown, which was originally proposed? 

I've not read any comments recently but has Nicola done anything to wind up the usual mob? I don't know if she has said anything as don't watch any briefings by anyone but she appears to wind up some of the absolute roasters on here. 

26 minutes ago, jonesy said:

Seriously Doug, do you write for The National or work for the SNP?

Do you honestly believe the second point I've put in bold in your post? I mean, I believe in nothing but at least it is my nothing. But that's just propaganda-level sycophancy.

As for the third point, I'd rather stick pins in my eyes. Have seen a cumulative total of about a minute and a half of Sturge the Purge giving her 'briefings', and that's more than enough to come to the conclusion she ought to shut up.

Not an SNP supporter . Never been a member. I just look at the information and base my opinions on that. You don't accept that Scotland has had better outcomes. I can provide lots of evidence to show it has. Do you have any evidence to show that it hasn't?

Not having a tiered system will be proved to be very damaging to public health in some areas and overly damaging to the economy in others. It's the need and application of that system that is explained to us so eloquently at the daily briefings.

The briefings are actually very entertaining e.g. today we had a man from the Times asking if you had to go to Spain to catch the Spanish strain of coronavirus. Just a few days ago Nicola was trolling all the"journalists" by telling them that they were all getting cranky. But it's not just Nicola we get the Chief Medical Officer, The health secretary, the chief nursing officer and many others including Jason Leitch, who in my opinion is the most entertaining. There's always a bit of suspense wondering who is going to take the stage. All sorts of questions are asked and answered and nobody can be in any doubt that our experts are totally on top of their jobs. i've never seen anybody handle a Press conference so expertly as the FM. Everybody i know think she is doing a great job and the polls bear it out.

I think the problem for some lies in her origins. She is a woman, working class, comes from the west and is Scottish. These are all things that have suspect value among our more traditional members. Many would rather make things up, hurl insults or engage in any fallacious activity they can think of than actually engage with the debate. Somebody. i think it was you, said Boris got nearly half the vote in England, how galling must it be for her detractors to find that even in the country she is hell bent on being different to, her approval ratings far exceed those of the Prime minister  

5 minutes ago, coconut doug said:

Not an SNP supporter . Never been a member. I just look at the information and base my opinions on that. You don't accept that Scotland has had better outcomes. I can provide lots of evidence to show it has. Do you have any evidence to show that it hasn't?

Not having a tiered system will be proved to be very damaging to public health in some areas and overly damaging to the economy in others. It's the need and application of that system that is explained to us so eloquently at the daily briefings.

The briefings are actually very entertaining e.g. today we had a man from the Times asking if you had to go to Spain to catch the Spanish strain of coronavirus. Just a few days ago Nicola was trolling all the"journalists" by telling them that they were all getting cranky. But it's not just Nicola we get the Chief Medical Officer, The health secretary, the chief nursing officer and many others including Jason Leitch, who in my opinion is the most entertaining. There's always a bit of suspense wondering who is going to take the stage. All sorts of questions are asked and answered and nobody can be in any doubt that our experts are totally on top of their jobs. i've never seen anybody handle a Press conference so expertly as the FM. Everybody i know think she is doing a great job and the polls bear it out.

I think the problem for some lies in her origins. She is a woman, working class, comes from the west and is Scottish. These are all things that have suspect value among our more traditional members. Many would rather make things up, hurl insults or engage in any fallacious activity they can think of than actually engage with the debate. Somebody. i think it was you, said Boris got nearly half the vote in England, how galling must it be for her detractors to find that even in the country she is hell bent on being different to, her approval ratings far exceed those of the Prime minister  

That Jonesy character is some wind up merchant!

The Real Maroonblood
15 minutes ago, Roxy Hearts said:

I've not read any comments recently but has Nicola done anything to wind up the usual mob? I don't know if she has said anything as don't watch any briefings by anyone but she appears to wind up some of the absolute roasters on here. 

:lol:

5 hours ago, jonesy said:

It's what forums are for, ain't it? :)

And, as a serial procrastinator, it keeps me away from the stuff I'm actually meant to be doing when sat on the computer 🎆

How's yer eyesight these? going by this post, it must be improving. :D

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic