Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Glad to see the language coming out of Whitehall becoming more realistic today.

Just a wee while ago it was "we're going to flatten the curve then all go back to work".

Now it's "we're on the same curve as every other nation and we're not at the top yet and won't be for another fortnight".

Reality is starting to bite.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 minute ago, vegas-voss said:

Describing it a lot how my wife's boss has had it.Thankfully  it's been about 20 days since she seen her but they all had a skype meeting one day and the next day she was ****ed with it and has been for 10 days.

Did she get tested mate?.

3 minutes ago, Cade said:

Glad to see the language coming out of Whitehall becoming more realistic today.

Just a wee while ago it was "we're going to flatten the curve then all go back to work".

Now it's "we're on the same curve as every other nation and we're not at the top yet and won't be for another fortnight".

Reality is starting to bite.

No hiding place from the large number of deaths. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Still just push away, deflect tough questions.

Question re less tests leading to more deaths - "oh it's too complicated, the relationship" said Matt Hancock.

Edited by Mikey1874

1 minute ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Did she get tested mate?.

No just told to self isolate.She phoned 111 a couple of times as she didn't think she could cope with it.

kingantti1874
1 minute ago, vegas-voss said:

Some folk ( not on here ) I feel think the peak will be the end of it as they are so blase the way that talk about it.

yup, so many seem to think that once the peak is gone life will return to somewhere near normality, that won’t happen until there is a readily available effective treatment followed by a vaccine.. 

before them there will always be some form of lockdown, social distancing and self isolation. 

Large gathering and sport are finished unless behind closed doors 

AlphonseCapone
18 minutes ago, Lord BJ said:

The initial modelling suggested peak around the Easter period. In overall numbers we should hope that is the case. Next week I imagine we hit a thousand deaths a day, if it continues to escalate much past that, we will be on multiple of thousands of deaths a day and very quickly.   

With lockdown in place for circa 2 week you would begin to expect peaking of numbers. However Coronavirus will still be knocking about. 

I struggle to see how ‘herd immunity’ doesn’t happen naturally by the mere fact the thing seems to be so contagious. We can’t lockdown everything. This thing is going to go through the country it’s just a matter of how much damage it does  

If we had unlimited NHS resources we would let this thing rip through the country and deal with this consequences. This is about managing capacity within NHS. 

We will likely see returning of normality latish May. 

I’m not convinced this thing peaks in Scotland in the next week or so. I think we will be a bit further behind the overall U.K. curve.

Based on what? Correct me if I'm wrong but neither Italy or Spain have reached that stage and they are further ahead of us. 

5 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

No just told to self isolate.She phoned 111 a couple of times as she didn't think she could cope with it.

Was the same, she feeling better now though or?. 

Nicholas Brody
58 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I understand that but this drug has been approved, what is there to lose.

Either that the report is talking shit, but it says it killed it within 48 hours how true that is I don't know. 

Could it be made up. 

It really mind boggles me when you see countrys like America, and Russia that have there secret bunkers. 

Area 51 and Russian biological labs. 

That do research on aliens and other stuff like this that is top secret, but aren't prepared for stuff like this, it's crazy the amount of funding that is put into these places. 

It's a drug that's currently approved for treating parasitic infections. Whilst it may kill this virus in a lab setting, there's sadly no proof this will work in humans. They're currently trialing a whole range of currently approved medication to see if it will help treatment but sadly these things take months, if not years. Also, as they aren't specific for Covid-19, it might not work for everyone.

Shanks said no

Rumours that police in Edinburgh are handing out on the spot fines when shoppers leave stores carrying only non essential items. Example I have heard is someone who was buying a bottle of wine, they checked his receipt and fined him £20, at Slateford. Reasonable source.

Clampdown is coming at last.

Just now, Bongo 1874 said:

Was the same, she feeling better now though or?. 

Getting better still not totally alright though.Has told my wife to let other team leaders know that she will not be at any Skype meetings next week.I think she has been that shaken by it she just needs tome to normalise as well.

2 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Rumours that police in Edinburgh are handing out on the spot fines when shoppers leave stores carrying only non essential items. Example I have heard is someone who was buying a bottle of wine, they checked his receipt and fined him £20, at Slateford. Reasonable source.

That’ll work till the word is out. Then people will go out and buy a bottle of wine and a pint of milk, which will just lead to a shortage of milk. 

Footballfirst
1 hour ago, neilnunb said:

New York sees highest increase in deaths

New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo is speaking now. His state remains the epicentre of the outbreak in the US.

Cuomo says the state has now seen the "highest single [day] increase in the number of deaths since we started: 2,900 from 2,300."

He says the curve of cases is still rising, and the number of tests conducted has reached a new high - over 21,000 to date.

Other updates:

• New York has 10,000 new cases from Thursday
  • 102,000 people have tested positive
  • 14,000 are currently in hospital, with 3,700 in critical care
  • 8,800 people have been discharged

😬😬😬

The New York State figures are scary.

The state has a population of 19m. The UK has a population of 66m, Italy 60m and Sapin 47m.

NY and a number of other locations in the USA are heading for calamitous figures.

Italy's peak number of new cases was 6,557, 13 days ago, and they were doing 3x the amount of testing per capita than the USA (NY itself may be closer to Italy's testing rate).

Spain's peak number of new cases was 8,271, a week ago.

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, Bongo 1874 said:

I understand that but this drug has been approved, what is there to lose.

Either that the report is talking shit, but it says it killed it within 48 hours how true that is I don't know. 

Could it be made up. 

It really mind boggles me when you see countrys like America, and Russia that have there secret bunkers. 

Area 51 and Russian biological labs. 

That do research on aliens and other stuff like this that is top secret, but aren't prepared for stuff like this, it's crazy the amount of funding that is put into these places. 

:4_1_72: :4_1_72:  hey, you missed out flat earth there

I get a 7 day butcher pack delivered from the butcher's now and a fruit veg box delivered each week.I only shop local every third day for bread,milk and eggs.Sometimes no bread but there is always rolls and if no eggs it's no big deal.I know everyone can't do that but I feel much safe doing it this way. 

This DCMO seems very professional and organised.    Good explanation of the clinical trials taking place on patients.

But.. the message on the social distancing is plain wrong.   Encouraged by what they're seeing is just wrong.    Telling people the current reaction to the lockdown is satisfactory will lead to people carrying on as they have done.    Some are not observing the rules.    

The French have laid down the law in no uncertain terms.    Here they're fudding around with mixed signals.

10 minutes ago, Sooperstar said:

It feels like tonight is the night the country is going to say '**** it, I'm getting wasted'.

And why not ☺️ I've already cracked a beer, Arran Blonde since you asked. Cheers ! :cheers::toasting:

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

This DCMO seems very professional and organised.    Good explanation of the clinical trials taking place on patients.

But.. the message on the social distancing is plain wrong.   Encouraged by what they're seeing is just wrong.    Telling people the current reaction to the lockdown is satisfactory will lead to people carrying on as they have done.    Some are not observing the rules.    

The French have laid down the law in no uncertain terms.    Here they're fudding around with mixed signals.

Exactly.

As soon as they say "we're seeing encouraging signs", the pricks will just all get back to acting like normal.

They have to keep the pressure on.

Sections of society are thick as feck and need constant telling.

Footballfirst

I've never quite got the "flattening the curve" argument.

The best way to flatten the curve was to have put a full lockdown in place much earlier than we did.

We saw what was happening in Italy in early March. Had we gone into lockdown at the same time as they did (N Italy went into lockdown on 9 March and the rest of the country on 13 March), then we would already be on the downward curve with a lower peak already behind us.  The UK had already reported 5 deaths by 9 March.  Italy had 463 deaths at that point.

Edited by Footballfirst

1 minute ago, Victorian said:

Agree re social distancing. There have, unfortunately, been mixed messages all the way through this. ‘Only go to work if necessary’ deliberately ambiguous statement. Necessary to what? The Coronavirus effort, feeding your family, keeping fat people in pizza.

Clear, unambiguous rules, not guidance, has been needed throughout this crisis and too often they’ve fallen short. 

1 minute ago, Cade said:

Exactly.

As soon as they say "we're seeing encouraging signs", the pricks will just all get back to acting like normal.

It's quite incredible.    Anybody can work out that they have to calculate some headroom into that advice/rules.

As you say,   if they're satisfied... keep schtum and keep the message hard.

Seymour M Hersh
8 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Are you suggesting the Philippines route? 

3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

I've never quite got the "flattening the curve" argument.

The best way to flatten the curve was to have put a full lockdown in place much earlier than we did.

We saw what was happening in Italy in early March. Had we gone into lockdown at the same time as they did (N Italy went into lockdown on 9 March and the rest of the country on 13 March), then we would already be on the downward curve with a lower peak already behind us.  The UK had already reported 5 deaths by 9 March.  Italy had 463 deaths at that point.

Test and trace, that is find everyone infected people have been in contact with and put them all in isolation. 

South Korea did that and they are NOT in lockdown. 

Scotland and UK medical experts have both confirmed again today that there is no benefit in ordinary people wearing face masks. 

Just now, Seymour M Hersh said:

Are you suggesting the Philippines route? 

Nope.   I'm suggesting they concentrate on the people not observing the rules and not lauding the ones who are.    

Outcomes will be better if the reaction to lockdown overshoots what they want.    It makes no sense to settle for barely reaching what they want.

Seymour M Hersh
Just now, Victorian said:

Nope.   I'm suggesting they concentrate on the people not observing the rules and not lauding the ones who are.    

Outcomes will be better if the reaction to lockdown overshoots what they want.    It makes no sense to settle for barely reaching what they want.

It will be very interesting to see how things fare in Sweden. 

Indeed.    But one exception to the rule proves zero.

Seymour M Hersh
Just now, Victorian said:

If only the rule was proving a clear success. 

Francis Albert
3 hours ago, Mauricio Pinilla said:

**** sake :lol:

:vrface:

As the TV news has just shown these people were in fact standing on marks defining the 2 metre distancing rule.

Not sure however it was essential for them or Hancock to gather for the unveiling at all.

If only the rule was proving a clear success. 

What's the alternative?    Go back to normal and expect the virus not to transmit between people?

They need the lockdown to work.   The best way to get it to work is to over-emphasise.    Not endorse nearly everyone doing their bit.

Footballfirst
9 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

8 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Have a look at the "Daily New Cases" and "Daily New Deaths" graphs for Norway and Sweden, who have taken different approaches.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/norway/

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/sweden/

Norway appears to have contained the impact pretty well, while Sweden is now seemingly on an upward trajectory.

Sweden are trying that same "herd immunity" bollocks as the UK tried and abandoned.

All the other nations around them are on full lockdown.

2 nurses dead.    6 children left without a mother.    

How many nurses can we save?   How many children can we avoid losing their mums?

Encouraged by the data?    Jesus wept.

Here is my take on things:

...Lockdowns across the globe will eventually slow the spread of the virus

...no country, expert or the like have a ****ing clue how to then safely resume world travel or allow things to go back to normal. Another spread of this virus would be a complete and utter disaster. 

Unless a vaccine is found then there is no normality. That's the cold hard facts. 

Footballfirst
7 minutes ago, Victorian said:

How many nurses can we save?   How many children can we avoid losing their mums?

Painted on a wall in Pontefract, W Yorkshire yesterday

6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Horrible it really is trying to selflessly save  the lives of others only for it to take there own.

Dagger Is Back
1 hour ago, milky_26 said:

it has been good, especially since one of them is in america and we havent been in the same room for probably 2.5 years

Brilliant stuff. Have a great night. 

I never got tested mate, but I can honestly tell you know this is nothing like what I've had before, 

Sitting in your bed at night pains and aches all over your body, stomping headache, nasal congestion, fever. 

Heart palpitations. 

Not sleeping for 5-6 days in a row, coughing up blood. 

I managed to get 2 hours sleep, and the scariest thing about it was, I woke up drenched in my own sweat i was hallucinating, my dream was i had found dynamo the magician and we had got a vaccine. 

I was sitting up talking to myself.

I won't ever forget this experience. 

coughing up blood is pretty serious mate, did you call 111? Glad you are getting better now

There isn't any, the report is telling us it killed it within 48 hours that's massive, I would put money on that vaccines that are getting tested take more than a week for it to get rid of it. 

The motto of this country is Who Dares Wins. 

The drug has been approved by the FDA. 

Desperate times call for desperate measures. 

Vaccines don’t kill a virus, they teach your immune system to recognise them so it reacts much quicker and effectively clear the virus upon seeing it

drugs that actual clear a virus are very limited, think how long HIV has been around for, only now in very few cases medics can get it undetected in an infected person. Herpes viruses that cause cold sores and chickenpox - very limited treatment options, acyclovir is only really active in something like 1 out of 9 people.  

unfortunately against viruses, your immune system is the best thing - and if it has been primed with a vaccine, much much better. I got my wee one the chickenpox vaccine, she’s been around kids that have developed it and hasn’t had it herself

1 minute ago, AlimOzturk said:

...no country, expert or the like have a ****ing clue how to then safely resume world travel or allow things to go back to normal. Another spread of this virus would be a complete and utter disaster. 

Unless a vaccine is found then there is no normality. That's the cold hard facts. 

Not necessarily.    If the immediate epidemic is dealt with,   while certain controls will need to remain,   life can definitely return nearer to normal.    A lot needs found out about immunity.    Advances in treatments would be really important.    

Life getting more normal will greatly depend on how resilient immunity is.    If there is no resilient immunity then a vaccine becomes increasingly vital.    If a repurposed drug is proved to be highly effective,   especially in an early stage of hospital based care,   then reinfection need not be as disasterous as it would be if no advances are made.

There's just not enough known yet.

14 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Have to agree 👍

As it stands our lives are in the hands of scientists, in the hope we find a vaccine and can get out of this mess. 

I hate to say it and I'm not trying to sound like a conspiracy theriost here, but is it just me that thinks there is more to this coronavirus?. 

Maybe it's just me 

Edited by Bongo 1874

49 minutes ago, Cade said:

Exactly.

Next weekend is Easter Weekend.  I'm dreading the thought of all the arseholes out and about in crowds if there is any sun.

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Think you will find that is a total rumour. I you go out for exercise, which is allowed, and stop off in shop on way back, you are seriously living in dreamland if you believe police will stop and fine you.

Why do people post pish like this, it doesn't help anyone.

12 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Not necessarily.    If the immediate epidemic is dealt with,   while certain controls will need to remain,   life can definitely return nearer to normal.    A lot needs found out about immunity.    Advances in treatments would be really important.    

Life getting more normal will greatly depend on how resilient immunity is.    If there is no resilient immunity then a vaccine becomes increasingly vital.    If a repurposed drug is proved to be highly effective,   especially in an early stage of hospital based care,   then reinfection need not be as disasterous as it would be if no advances are made.

cant argue with this - there is just not enough information known about this virus and how the human immune system reacts long term.

to be fair, the research that is coming mainly out of China is getting greater by the day

10 minutes ago, Victorian said:

How far is immunity though mate, you could class immunity as being asymptomatic as they don't get symptoms and don't seem to get ill from it. 

I'm trying to put this in the best way I can possibly can, we can't afford to wait a year or so in the hope it dies out. 

If this isn't resolved in a quicker time, we could see suicides. 

There are already pages of people wanting to storm the pentagon similar, to how they tried to organise area 51. 

4 minutes ago, Cade said:

There is already a covid conspiracy thread.

Is there? Or is it just a figment of your imagination?

Dagger Is Back
4 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Have to agree 👍

As it stands our lives are in the hands of scientists, in the hope we find a vaccine and can get out of this mess. 

I hate to say it and I'm not trying to sound like a conspiracy theriost here, but is it just me that thinks there is more to this coronavirus?. 

Maybe it's just me 

I agree with Alim that isolation merely slows the spread down. What happens when we take the cork out of the bottle. With summer fast approaching, God knows how things will look in June/July etc

I think there is way more to this CV than we're being told

Just now, Dagger Is Back said:

I agree with Alim that isolation merely slows the spread down. What happens when we take the cork out of the bottle. With summer fast approaching, God knows how things will look in June/July etc

I think there is way more to this CV than we're being told

I would hate for that to be true, but who benefits from this ask yourself that. 

Malinga the Swinga
2 hours ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Correct, stop ****ing about, you can wait all they months to then find that it might not even work, but if you try it and get results use it, according to scientists they are seeing positive results in animals like ferrets, rabbits, monkeys. 

The closet thing we have that resembles a human being is a monkey, if it shows positive results within then use it. 

Then there is a big chance it will be the same with human beings. 

I understand that vaccines need time to test etc etc, but there isn't anything stopping them from using an approved drug use it. 

Do you fancy being a volunteer to take it then? You happy if it kills someone who does, on the off chance it may or may not work? 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic