Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

Jambo-Jimbo
1 minute ago, Taffin said:

What about the % that's not included though? I assumed that meant they'd died. In which case it's worse to be a current smoker.

Strange that they don't include the death rate %.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

JudyJudyJudy
9 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

More alarming is that of you have one or more of the listed conditions you’ve got a better chance of doing well. If you have chronic liver disease you’re best starting smoking to lower your risk. 😂

I also depends on what treatments you are currently on for any underlying condition.  I have arthritis but only on one  immunosuppressant drug.  If i were on several my risk would be much higher. However I am classed as " low risk" 

Edited by JamesM48
spelling error

3 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Strange that they don't include the death rate %.

Maybe mostly still in icu so death rate might be misleading? Edit  no that’s wrong. Forget that. 

Edited by GinRummy

Just now, JamesM48 said:

I also depends on what treatments you are currently on for any underlying condition.  I have arthritis but only on  an immunosuppressant drug.  If i were on several my risk would be much higher. However I am classed as " low risk" 

Good point. Similarly I have stage 3 chronic kidney disease which means my kidneys function well enough to lead a normal life whereas someone on dialysis would be at a far greater risk (I’d imagine).

JudyJudyJudy
1 minute ago, GinRummy said:

Good point. Similarly I have stage 3 chronic kidney disease which means my kidneys function well enough to lead a normal life whereas someone on dialysis would be at a far greater risk (I’d imagine).

Exactly.  The more treatment you need i,e meds, etc the more risk you have of being seriously ill with it but not necessarily dying ! The more meds you take the more it can affect your immune system.  Yes i was relieved when I spoke to my consultant at the WG who assured me I shouldn't be " too concerned".  Shes always very honest. 

Just now, JamesM48 said:

Exactly.  The more treatment you need i,e meds, etc the more risk you have of being seriously ill with it but not necessarily dying ! The more meds you take the more it can affect your immune system.  Yes i was relieved when I spoke to my consultant at the WG who assured me I shouldn't be " too concerned".  Shes always very honest. 

Yeah good to get the right medical advice so you know where you stand.  

11 minutes ago, Taffin said:

What about the % that's not included though? I assumed that meant they'd died. In which case it's worse to be a current smoker.

It’s strange they just don’t show the death rate leaving you to assume. Makes me think the uncounted figure may be a mix of more than one thing but no idea what. 

JudyJudyJudy
2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Yeah good to get the right medical advice so you know where you stand.  

I was meant to see her at the WG . Its my annual check up which coincidently came at the right time.  We just had a phone consultation due to the current crisis. 

12 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

That's the way I'm reading that as well.

Current smoker has only a 5% chance of being in ICU, whilst a former smoker has a 20% chance.

No way can those stats be correct.

My Dad is a former smoker. He stopped many years ago, but had smoked a lot for the previous 30 years. He now has emphysema and struggles.

I can see someone who smokes a lot now being in better health than my Dad who is a former smoker. Statistics eh?

Jambo-Jimbo
4 minutes ago, JamesM48 said:

I was meant to see her at the WG . Its my annual check up which coincidently came at the right time.  We just had a phone consultation due to the current crisis. 

My annual MOT was cancelled, was due to have been last month.

3 minutes ago, Gulpener said:

My Dad is a former smoker. He stopped many years ago, but had smoked a lot for the previous 30 years. He now has emphysema and struggles.

I can see someone who smokes a lot now being in better health than my Dad who is a former smoker. Statistics eh?

I'm an ex-smoker as well, smoked 25+ a day for about 30 years as well and stopped 8 years ago, fortunately lungs are as sound as a bell.

There will be huge differences such as myself & your dad in every ailment, some will be better or worse and everything inbetween.

1 hour ago, Cade said:

Yesterday: 

Hancock plucks a "100,000 tests a day" figure out his arse.

Today:

NHS laboratories, testing manufacturers and scientists say there is no danger of that even coming close to being achieved by the end of the month.

That didn't last long.

Also in today's news; the USA has intercepted a consignment of 200,000 masks purchased by the German Police and taken them for themselves.

They took them during a cargo plane transfer in Thailand.

Germany has made a formal protest to the WTO for breach of international trading law.

New York is running out of supplies because other US States are outbidding them for things that they don't need yet, but NY does.

NY governor is resorting to seizing items from hospitals that are not at full capacity and redistributing them to ones that are.

It's gone totally bonkers over there.

Mental

4 minutes ago, BlackJAC? said:

America in being greedy self centred *******s shocker.

I take it this was what Trump was eluding to when he mentioned 3m yesterday

And aye the seperate states being greedy ****s

Edited by vegas-voss

45 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Current smoker has only a 5% chance of being in ICU, whilst a former smoker has a 20% chance.

I have no idea.  One theory being banded around and has done since the outbreak began is smokers are more accustomed to having less oxygen in their blood.  I do know smokers tend to suffer from altitude sickness a lot less than non smokers.

Edited by BlackJAC?

Tommy Brown

2 weeks of dats from worldometers, France , Spain & USA daily critically ill figures surpassing Italy's.

Germany's figure has suddenly doubled over last 3 days (not icluded) to just under 4k. UK obviously not coming clean yet, as Germany previously.

image.png.4838f62ce55d77d63f5ae38db705f183.png

21 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

I take it this was what Trump was eluding to when he mentioned 3m yesterday

And aye the seperate states being greedy ****s

They have to be careful.  3M might manufacture in the US, but they don't get the materials from the US.  In fact, Trump wants to ban them sending the masks to Canada, yet 3M import the pulp from Canada.  So if he carries on that way, canada will make their own and America will have to source that material from another country they aren't willing to share with.

This is why Trump and his mates in the media are currently attacking 3M. But they've failed to realise when it comes to masks, the US needs Canada more than Canada needs the US.

Hancock's gobshite claim that "we'll hit the peak by Easter" has been "over interpreted" according to Hancock.

:cornette:

So it turns out that setting dates and targets and numbers at random is absolute baws after all.

Whoda thunk it.

6 minutes ago, BlackJAC? said:

They have to be careful.  3M might manufacture in the US, but they don't get the materials from the US.  In fact, Trump wants to ban them sending the masks to Canada, yet 3M import the pulp from Canada.  So if he carries on that way, canada will make their own and America will have to source that material from another country they aren't willing to share with.

This is why Trump and his mates in the media are currently attacking 3M. But they've failed to realise when it comes to masks, the US needs Canada more than Canada needs the US.

Thanks for that only seen the tweet where he vaguely mentioned 3m.

2 minutes ago, Cade said:

Hancock's gobshite claim that "we'll hit the peak by Easter" has been "over interpreted" according to Hancock.

:cornette:

So it turns out that setting dates and targets and numbers at random is absolute baws after all.

Whoda thunk it.

Said it on here yesterday it's just another number to spout.Give it a week or two of more criticism and 1m will come out someone's mouth

1 minute ago, Smithee said:

People were claiming they kill birds out the sky too, every claim I've seen has been roundly debunked.

Is it even slightly likely that a company would put these things out knowing the financial liability that death and sickness would bring their way?

Absolute bollocks.

There’s plenty stuff online that says wi-fi causes the same type of stuff as 5G so if you’re eventually replacing one with the other then what’s the odds. Agree though, it’s probably all rubbish. 

magic roundabout

I think the percentage of ex-smokers maybe misleading. Remember smoking was very common in the 50s 60s and 70's only the last 20 years we have seen big reductions. Given older people are more at risk from sadly passing on its  likely a higher percentage of the smoked in the past. 

Seymour M Hersh
7 minutes ago, Smithee said:

People were claiming they kill birds out the sky too, every claim I've seen has been roundly debunked.

Is it even slightly likely that a company would put these things out knowing the financial liability that death and sickness would bring their way?

Absolute bollocks.

You could argue big tobacco did it for decades (they knew for many many years how dangerous their product was) but bashed on regardless. 

Balmy conditions forecast, barmy natives ignoring instructions to bide at home. A Bawbag Hurricane or Beast from the East wouldn't go amiss right now.

Unknown user
1 minute ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

You could argue big tobacco did it for decades (they knew for many many years how dangerous their product was) but bashed on regardless. 

Indeed, but science has got to a point where they'd never get away with it now.

Seymour M Hersh
Just now, Smithee said:

Indeed, but science has got to a point where they'd never get away with it now.

Maybees aye maybes naw. 

3 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

True.  The 5g thing is probably more comparable to the dangers of microwave ovens. 

Unknown user
2 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Maybees aye maybes naw. 

Maybes maybe!

I get where you're coming from but the whole 5g thing has been debunked outside the industry.

I'm always happy to get to the truth though, so if someone has scientific publications that say otherwise I'll be the first to check them out.

I won't hold my breath though, I've looked into this before.

Breathing in daily car fumes will do a helluva lot more damage than any 5g tower ffs. Can't believe folk entertain this stuff.  I mean, I'm not saying anything is without risk, but I'm sure we all do a lot more damage to our bodies by simply breathing than anything a 5g mast could do.

2 hours ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

dubious stats, or the way they are presented. Smokers and former smokers could also be included in other categories-such as chronic lung diseases, or basically any other categories

basic logic should indicate that a smoker of 20 years would have a lower lung function to that of a never smoker same age, weight etc

the cardiovascular issues is a concerning one as they haven’t worked out a definitive reason why people who have these conditions are at a larger risk if the virus's main target is respiratory 

2 minutes ago, BlackJAC? said:

Breathing in daily car fumes will do a helluva lot more damage than any 5g tower ffs. Can't believe folk entertain this stuff.  I mean, I'm not saying anything is without risk, but I'm sure we all do a lot more damage to our bodies by simply breathing than anything a 5g mast could do.

I agree wholeheartedly.

But, folk dragging on 20/30/40 ‘fags’ a day must be doing themselves the world of good too?

People slowly reduce their lifespan, everyday.

Because they think ‘it won’t happen to me’.

3 hours ago, Sooperstar said:

Opened the champers at 4. Going through the Tennents and Stella now before we resort to Unicum.

😃Been enjoying a nice Merlot, alongside my Arran Blonde. Listening to Bob Dylan and Julie Fowlis, feel a wee Old Pulteney coming on. Right now Covid19 is far away outside our window. Long may the f u c k e r stay there. Enjoy your bevvy Sooperstar.

AlphonseCapone
7 minutes ago, DarthVodka said:

dubious stats, or the way they are presented. Smokers and former smokers could also be included in other categories-such as chronic lung diseases, or basically any other categories

basic logic should indicate that a smoker of 20 years would have a lower lung function to that of a never smoker same age, weight etc

the cardiovascular issues is a concerning one as they haven’t worked out a definitive reason why people who have these conditions are at a larger risk if the virus's main target is respiratory 

Complete guess of course but given the respiratory and cardiovascular systems are closely related, it would seem likely if you've got issue with your cardiovascular system then your respiratory system might not be in the best condition either. 

1 hour ago, BlackJAC? said:

America in being greedy self centred *******s shocker.

Piracy now.

The *****.

Health officials advise masks, Trump won't wear one

President Donald Trump has announced the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) now recommends that Americans use non-medical, cloth face coverings to help prevent the spread of the virus.

"From recent studies we know that the transmission from individuals without symptoms is playing a more significant role in the spread of the virus than previously understood," Mr Trump said.

"With the masks, it's going to really be a voluntary thing," he emphasised. "It's voluntary, you do not have to do it. I don't think I'm going to be doing it."

He notes the CDC is not recommending the use of medical-grade masks, as those should go to health care workers.

“I won’t be doing it, personally,” Trump said about masks - it wouldn’t suit his position.

It’s not quite meant for “presidents, prime ministers, dictators, kings queens,” he continued. “I don’t know, somehow, I don’t see it for myself.”

AHM NO WEARING A MASK LIKES AHM TOO IMPORTUNT

4 minutes ago, neilnunb said:

Health officials advise masks, Trump won't wear one

President Donald Trump has announced the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) now recommends that Americans use non-medical, cloth face coverings to help prevent the spread of the virus.

"From recent studies we know that the transmission from individuals without symptoms is playing a more significant role in the spread of the virus than previously understood," Mr Trump said.

"With the masks, it's going to really be a voluntary thing," he emphasised. "It's voluntary, you do not have to do it. I don't think I'm going to be doing it."

He notes the CDC is not recommending the use of medical-grade masks, as those should go to health care workers.

Who cares what he does. He thinks he’s the star of his own film. Egomaniac. 

Seymour M Hersh
2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Who cares what he does. He thinks he’s the star of his own film. Egomaniac. 

Surely that would be virtually everyone on facebook, twitter etc etc etc. Social media is wall to wall egomaniacs. 

Why is it we don’t have enough masks? “The previous administration,” Trump said. “Speak to the people from the previous administration. The shelves were empty.”

:rofl:

IT WIZ OBAMA

6 minutes ago, Seymour M Hersh said:

Surely that would be virtually everyone on facebook, twitter etc etc etc. Social media is wall to wall egomaniacs. 

I don’t have any if that shite but I believe you. I’ve seen enough on other folks phones etc to know I never want it. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
3 hours ago, Gulpener said:

is the correct answer - I hope ur dads ok

alot of ex-smokers are ill (that’s why a lot of them gave up) - so will struggle 

A lot of current smokers aren’t ill (yet) - won’t struggle so much

magic roundabout
11 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

The argument they make isn't related to fibre cable (as you say we have been using that for years) it is the frequency waves that 5g uses across the air that people freak out about.

Obviously they are wrong. The evidence actually points towards 4g masts being more dangerous if anything. And by dangerous I mean if you sat your head against the tower all day everyday.

Agree they guys are just laying cables it's irrespective what g it is. Sorry anyone thinks this is related to coronavirus or any ill health are barking up the wrong tree. 

Wuhan was closed down on January the 23rd.  Like properly closed down. Even went as far as to weld some people into their buildings ffs. None of this half assed shit we're seeing here in the UK and what we initially seen in Italy etc. 

This is gonna be our life at least until August and that is being generous because only now are they opening Wuhan after they took brutal measures.  That thought is somehow more depressing than the actual virus. I'd be surprised if London wasn't under some sort of lockdown at least until the beginning of next year.

Edited by BlackJAC?

4 hours ago, milky_26 said:

can someone photoshop a mask onto him with boxes of masks behind him

Best I can do on my phone, sorry. :lol: 

F2A3F6BA-B33D-4167-A6DF-58A27778F397.jpeg

Montgomery Brewster
4 hours ago, BlackJAC? said:

Wuhan was closed down on January the 23rd.  Like properly closed down. Even went as far as to weld some people into their buildings ffs. None of this half assed shit we're seeing here in the UK and what we initially seen in Italy etc. 

This is gonna be our life at least until August and that is being generous because only now are they opening Wuhan after they took brutal measures.  That thought is somehow more depressing than the actual virus. I'd be surprised if London wasn't under some sort of lockdown at least until the beginning of next year.

Spot on squire.

Governments know that if they said later dates  at the start folk would be up in arms. 

the guy from world health organisation reckons vulnerable folk could be locked down for a year. Short of a vaccine or something else to suppress the problem it’s going to take a while sadly.

China using their surveillance system to track and lock down the country. Now Europe likely to do the same, with cctv and mobile phone GPS. Mind when everyone slaughtered China for having this? 

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic