• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kingantti1874

• Bazzas right boot

• soonbe110

• Sooks

If he signs a new deal, that would be tremendous news, although I'm not getting my hopes up. 

I hope the phrase "club legend" is being mentioned to him a lot.

Just mentioned on another thread that it's getting that time where we need to get him a contract extension sorted out. This would be a massive boost to the club if we could get this over the line quickly.

1 minute ago, Philfigo said:

Just mentioned on another thread that it's getting that time where we need to get him a contract extension sorted out. This would be a massive boost to the club if we could get this over the line quickly.

Yea will be good to know if he’s sticking around and if not atleast we will get a lot of cash for him 

Just now, Jackhmfc1348 said:

Yea will be good to know if he’s sticking around and if not atleast we will get a lot of cash for him 

That's true, didn't think of it that way. Could be D-Day then for us either he signs extension in next month or if not we take the money in January if any bids come in. Not sure I would want us to take they money if he don't sign, as long as he continues put I good performances keep him till his contracts up.

1 minute ago, Philfigo said:

That's true, didn't think of it that way. Could be D-Day then for us either he signs extension in next month or if not we take the money in January if any bids come in. Not sure I would want us to take they money if he don't sign, as long as he continues put I good performances keep him till his contracts up.

Don’t think the club are looking to sell him in January but if they do it would be for a even bigger fee

AllyjamboDerbyshire

Having a season and a half at Hearts, scoring lots of goals, will make Shankland, not only an asset in his own right, but also a great selling point for the club to any new signings, particularly to (fingers crossed) quality creative midfielders who want an end product to their quality passes.

We would probably need to offer him a bonkers wage for him to stay long term, fingers crossed 🤞 tho. He is the one player we have where you could justify going mental for 👍

I think it will come down to whether he wants to play for rangers or not. 

I'm pretty sure they're keen on him, they'll no doubt have tapped him up, and he's apparently a rangers fan. 

Whatever we offer him, rangers will offer more than that. 

Put yourself in his shoes. You play for say Aberdeen on £8k but you get the chance to play for the team you supported your whole life, Hearts, for £10k per week. It's a no brainer. 

Jambof3tornado
17 minutes ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

We’d need to pay him £10k+ a week and offer him a 4 year deal to have a hope of getting him to extend his contract imo.

This. No danger he's signing a new deal.

If Hearts stretch their wage guidelines in order to retain Shankland, I don't think it would cause disruption in the camp, which would be the usual case, the reason being his stature/ability/impact to the club. If some of Anderson's money could be diverted then I don't think anyone would complain about that.

27 minutes ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

We’d need to pay him £10k+ a week and offer him a 4 year deal to have a hope of getting him to extend his contract imo.

I'd take him to 33/34 on those wages TBH. 

His game isn't running. Its his intelligence, finishing, technical ability and physicality. 

IMO though the concern is also those around him. Our team is Shankland. None of the rest of them are showing anything. Forrest, Oda, McKay, Vargas, Tagawa and Boyce - none of them are scoring goals. He might not want to be playing in a team where its on him to do everything every week. Likewise, its a question to his confidence in the coaching staff... 

58 minutes ago, OTT said:

If he signs a new deal, that would be tremendous news, although I'm not getting my hopes up. 

I heard he is asking to be played up front as part of any new deal!

Can only hope we put our best offer forward and see what happens.

If we can’t agree a deal however, this becomes a massive test for the powers that be at the club. You simply won’t get a hotter property for many a season and we simply have to get the highest fee possible. It’s the single biggest test of all the “player trading” chat dished out in todays AGM.

The club have been powerless in the past to prevent the likes of Patterson & Souttar leaving for nothing. And yet the likes of Aberdeen have no such trouble. Let’s see that we’ve learned something.

1 hour ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

We need to offer him a lot more than that if we’re being serious. 

pettigrewsstylist

Start of the process. We offered you the best we could. Now we will sell on our terms.

Govan aint happening. We will sell to a better offer. Suspect it will be summer unless £3.5m+

6 minutes ago, SMJ_1874 said:

We need to offer him a lot more than that if we’re being serious. 

I don't think it's likely he signs a new contract, we'd probably have to be looking at Larry Kingston type wages to keep him.

We should play him as a fox in the box and construct our team around him i.e. the function of the team would be to supply him with quality passes/crosses into the box. 

When in Thessaloniki it was rumoured that any new contract would possibly involve Shankland getting a % of any future transfer fee.

As I say… rumoured but a deal like that could make sense 

10 minutes ago, Papa said:

We should play him as a fox in the box and construct our team around him i.e. the function of the team would be to supply him with quality passes/crosses into the box. 

We did that for about three months at the start of last season and it worked a treat. 

Then Neilson got his head shaved. 

10 minutes ago, Papa said:

Why they've not done that is quite incredible. 

They would need to offer at least or even perhaps north of 10k per week in order to keep him, I would happily get rid of Haring and Haliday and not replace them if it meant we could offer him more money tbh.

40 minutes ago, Papa said:

Indeed. A little piece of me dies inside every time I see Shankland dropping back to the centre circle to get a kick of the ball. 

He lacks pace. The further away he gets from the opponents goal the less able he is to do the thing that he does best. If we work the ball into wide areas and put crosses into the box then he will already be in the box waiting on them, which makes his lack of pace far less of an issue. Getting on the end of crosses is more about timing your run and anticipating where the ball will go before your marker does. He is good at that. He is also good at holding off defenders to get headers in on goal, as evidenced by his goal at Ibrox and his goal for Scotland.

We may need to sign one or two players who are better at crossing a ball than what we currently have but that is the plan of attack I wish we would start using.

Edited by No Idle Talk

4 hours ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

No chance we’ll be paying a 33 year old £10k a week (which he would be by the end of a 4 year contract)

31 minutes ago, JimmyCant said:

No chance we’ll be paying a 33 year old £10k a week (which he would be by the end of a 4 year contract)

Would be worth every penny if you ask me, best striker since Robbo.

He would still bang them in at 33, as his game does not rely on pace.

There's no way he's signing a new deal unless we get seriously creative with salary and allowing him to leave if some other club offers a pre-agreed amount. Even then, we've nothing to bargain with.

He'll see out his deal and go to the orcs at the earliest opportunity.

Diehardjambo1
6 hours ago, Jackhmfc1348 said:

Don’t think the club are looking to sell him in January but if they do it would be for a even bigger fee

We sell him and January and I you can kiss goodbye to the top six. 

4 minutes ago, Diehardjambo1 said:

We sell him and January and I you can kiss goodbye to the top six. 

You're probably right but it would depend on how they spent the money. I've very little faith in our recruitment team so it would likely end in disaster but you never know I guess.

Selkirkhmfc1874

Doubtful we'll get him signed on new contract because his agent will be saying you want exceptional fee for him so you'll have to pay him exceptional wage

Selkirkhmfc1874
25 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Never knew Shankland had so many family and friends on here that know exactly what he is going to do or what it would take for him to sign a new deal. 

You don't need to be family or friends to know how football transfers work ! 

6 hours ago, Gordon_1874 said:

I don't think it's likely he signs a new contract, we'd probably have to be looking at Larry Kingston type wages to keep him.

Then from lessons learned he will have to be sold on in the summer window. It would be a travesty to let him run down his contract and walk for free.

Shanks is in his prime now and I’m not sure a near 30 year old (in 18months) would have the same bargaining power that he has now. If he does sign an extended contract then a good showing in the Euros would likely see a scramble for his signature. 

Big decisions ahead from both club and player and it’ll be interesting to see how it plays out. 

Shooter McGavin

Seriously doubt he’ll sign a new contract.

And if he goes in January, we’re going to be scrapping the rest of the season around 8th, 9th & 10th.

8 hours ago, OTT said:

Long way to go before those words can be used about him. 

6 hours ago, Carter said:

Why they've not done that is quite incredible. 

Modern day, young coaches don’t play long ball. It’s tippy tappy.  They all think they are the next Pep. We should just be getting another striker in the box with Shankland and fire the ball in there at every opportunity. Unfortunately we have signed tippy tappy guys Vargas, Oda, Devlin, Beni, Hof    Nine of them suited to long ball stuff 

kingantti1874
8 hours ago, Drylaw Hearts said:

Tbh I’d be disgusted if we offered anything less than that.

£500kpa for 30 goals a season.? If we don’t spend it on shanks we willl spend it on squad fillers like Sibbick and Vargas and Halliday.

at some point if we want to get better, we have to start paying significantly more money. 

If that means a smaller squad then so be it 

kingantti1874
22 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Oh look, club are under pressure and here’s the EEN with some positive deflection. 

Shankland won’t sign a new deal.

it’s almost like some don’t want him to so they can criticise the club some more.  Maybe we shouldn’t bother offering him a deal at all 🤣

FFS 

Selkirkhmfc1874
5 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Tbh I’d be disgusted if we offered anything less than that.

£500kpa for 30 goals a season.? If we don’t spend it on shanks we willl spend it on squad fillers like Sibbick and Vargas and Halliday.

at some point if we want to get better, we have to start paying significantly more money. 

If that means a smaller squad then so be it 

That's where I'd be going , smaller quality squad made up with kids from the b team , quality over quantity 

kingantti1874
7 minutes ago, Selkirkhmfc1874 said:

That's where I'd be going , smaller quality squad made up with kids from the b team , quality over quantity 

that how it needs to be. No doubt about jt 

Selkirkhmfc1874
2 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

that how it needs to be. No doubt about jt 

100% our squad size is ridiculous with far too much meadicrity 

• davemclaren changed the title to Shankland contract extension ( merged )