Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

JudyJudyJudy
49 minutes ago, whodanny said:

Aye, that'll help 🙄. The last thing we need is words of wisdom from that crusty auld fossil.

I know...! 

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Exactly I'm afraid, Boris Johnson in one of the early pressers said that he was trusting that the British public would be sensible & grown-up about the advice which was being giving out, or words to that effect.

How wrong was he to believe that much of the public would heed the warnings, indeed many still aren't, and if the weather is nice this week-end then I can see it being like Saturday night at the fair, so when a stricter lock-down comes into force next week it'll be the 'feck the rules' idiots to blame.

I live in a smallish town. I walk the dog for an hour each day. I don’t walk in the town I use the countryside around us. I go by car to the next town once every 4-5 days for essential shopping. I cover my mouth. I wear disposable gloves. I observe strict  social distancing . It takes no more than an hour. Every other period of the day I am at home. No one visits my house. I don’t visit anyone else’s house. Things I like to do normally are suspended until the restrictions are lifted. 

Anyone doing much more than the above, unless they are a key worker, needs their arse kicked.

Edited by JimmyCant

Dagger Is Back
1 hour ago, neilnunb said:

Queen to address nation on Sunday

Some will find that of comfort I guess, and whether you're a fan of the Royal Family or not, if she didn't say something she'd be coming under fire

Personally, whether it's last year, today or next year, they don't have a bloody clue what it's like to live like the rest of us. Last person I want to hear telling me that we're all in this together etc  etc is some entitled toff living in her castle/mansion with not a financial care in the world

Edited by Dagger Is Back

Out to do an essential shop for my family and to grab some things for my mum. First time the car’s moved from the bay in a week.

Costco was mobbed. Tescos the same. 

Surprised at the amount of cars on the road. Sheriffhall roundabout looked like it usually does.

That’s it until next Friday. I’ll sit in the garden if the weathers nice.

Like others, fully expecting stricter measures soon. 

8 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

I'm expecting a proper clampdown come Monday, the lunatics will be out in force on Sunday down south if it is a really nice day. 

You might ordinarily think so.    But I have severe doubts that this lot are capable of doing it.    The best we can expect is a more stern sounding repetition of the same message with nothing of substance to back it up.   The tone has been set already.    In my opinion the softball approach is a cop-out because they know they can't police a hardline one.    All it takes is for one large incident to turn nasty and all hell could break loose.     

SectionDJambo
1 hour ago, redjambo said:

I wondered at the time why no-one was calling for Cheltenham to be cancelled/postponed while at the same time other major sporting events were making that decision.

“Herd Immunity”, which, it slipped out, was the tactic being used at the start.

We were told, weeks ago, that the NHS was fully ready for anything the virus threw at us. Seemingly, though, not ventilators, ppe, reliable test kits, etc..

Much waving of the windmill arms of the PM, and claims of “sending Coronavirus packing”, but not much substance. It’s not the government’s fault that this virus is upon us, but they can’t blame anyone else for how badly exposed the NHS were to it, since the same party has been telling us for 10 years that the NHS was safe in their hands.

6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

You might ordinarily think so.    But I have severe doubts that this lot are capable of doing it.    The best we can expect is a more stern sounding repetition of the same message with nothing of substance to back it up.   The tone has been set already.    In my opinion the softball approach is a cop-out because they know they can't police a hardline one.    All it takes is for one large incident to turn nasty and all hell could break loose.     

They're probably going to have to decide to ramp up "Project Fear" in the hope that this will create greater compliance.

30 minutes ago, The Frenchman Returns said:

Not my cup of tea but if it helps some people I see no harm in it. 

"Each to their own sewage" - Pete Townshend.

13 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Some will find that of comfort I guess, and whether you're a fan of the Royal Family or not, if she didn't say something she'd be coming under fire

Personally, whether it's last year, today or next year, they don't have a bloody clue what it's like to live like the rest of us. Last person I want to hear telling me that we're all in this together etc  etc is some entitled toff living in her castle/mansion with not a financial care in the world

Great post.

3 minutes ago, redjambo said:

They're probably going to have to decide to ramp up "Project Fear" in the hope that this will create greater compliance.

Recent snippets from project fear.

Today's figures show "green shoots" of recovery.      We now expect front line resources will cope with the peak.    We now think the peak will be earlier than thought in one week.    

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

Before looking at the government for that particular issue I’d be looking at the organisers who flew in the face of what almost every other large event had decided to do that week, before it was compulsory, and I’d be looking at people who still attended without a second thought about the possible impact.

Given that the situation is uncharted waters in a massive scale and the government have had to do most of this off the cuff, the time to judge would be at the end of this when we see how many died and what the impact on the economy was, comparing both in a global basis with similar developed countries.

No doubt mistakes are being made and lessons being learned but criminal negligence ??

sorry, it’s on the government to lead. Despite a mountain of data to the contrary they were advising large gatherings were fine, which was always absolute nonsense.

this combined with their failure to prepare, putting politics before lives by opting out of EU offer to procure ventilators and equipment , their slow response to lockdown almost having their hand forced by Nicola Sturgeon.. and still their allowance of packed subways and flights from areas heavily hit by virus..

they are directly responsible for the deaths of thousands 

Some folk ( not on here ) I feel think the peak will be the end of it as they are so blase the way that talk about it.

Personally I'm going to just hope that the government are right and deal with them being wrong if that proves to be the case whenever that may be.

Questioning everything positive they say just leads to more negativity which doesn't really help me personally, it just makes me more worried and concerned. 

I'm stuck in my house and can't shape the outcome so it's Que Sera Sera for me.

Edited by Taffin

2 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Some folk ( not on here ) I feel think the peak will be the end of it as they are so blase the way that talk about it.

the problem for me is they keep using the term peak which suggests to lots of people that deaths and infections will fall off after it. when for a period i would expect a plateau that could go on for a week or even longer (even months).

I've decided I'm going to get pished tonight. I've got plenty beer, wine and whisky in the house, i'll put on some good music, relax and try and forget about all this sad, scarey stuff for a while. It's just not good to be reading, hearing all this desperate stuff just now. Keep safe and healthy all you good Jambos.

Montgomery Brewster
1 minute ago, whodanny said:

I've decided I'm going to get pished tonight. I've got plenty beer, wine and whisky in the house, i'll put on some good music, relax and try and forget about all this sad, scarey stuff for a while. It's just not good to be reading, hearing all this desperate stuff just now. Keep safe and healthy all you good Jambos.

Good plan !

13 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Recent snippets from project fear.

Today's figures show "green shoots" of recovery.      We now expect front line resources will cope with the peak.    We now think the peak will be earlier than thought in one week.    

They're not doing it very well. :) Perhaps concentrating on protecting the economy rather than protecting the people.

Edited by redjambo

Dagger Is Back
1 minute ago, whodanny said:

Great shout. I've got a pub night with the lads tonight so will be doing exactly the same. Even have a Hearts quiz ready to go for next weeks get together

2 hours ago, iantjambo said:

Just a matter of time now for the wife’s mum sadly. Her major organs are failing and we’re basically just hoping for a huge miracle.

Aw, Jeez iantjambo - that's hard to hear. 

New York sees highest increase in deaths

New York State Governor Andrew Cuomo is speaking now. His state remains the epicentre of the outbreak in the US.

Cuomo says the state has now seen the "highest single [day] increase in the number of deaths since we started: 2,900 from 2,300."

He says the curve of cases is still rising, and the number of tests conducted has reached a new high - over 21,000 to date.

Other updates:

• New York has 10,000 new cases from Thursday
  • 102,000 people have tested positive
  • 14,000 are currently in hospital, with 3,700 in critical care
  • 8,800 people have been discharged

😬😬😬

9 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Great shout. I've got a pub night with the lads tonight so will be doing exactly the same. Even have a Hearts quiz ready to go for next weeks get together

i've done two this week already with friends. i am the quizmaster for the next one as they got annoyed with me winning them both

3 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

This if it's approved, use it what is there to lose?. 

This is my thoughts too. Theres people in very severe cases and really have nothing to lose in the grand scheme of it, take the drug with the chances of recovery or continue with the unknown and pass away regardless. Unfortunate circumstances but desperation may lead to a positive in the end

13 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

3 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

i've done two this week already with friends. i am the quizmaster for the next one as they got annoyed with me winning them both

Have a great night lads.

5 minutes ago, Blair835 said:

This is my thoughts too. Theres people in very severe cases and really have nothing to lose in the grand scheme of it, take the drug with the chances of recovery or continue with the unknown and pass away regardless. Unfortunate circumstances but desperation may lead to a positive in the end

Correct, stop ****ing about, you can wait all they months to then find that it might not even work, but if you try it and get results use it, according to scientists they are seeing positive results in animals like ferrets, rabbits, monkeys. 

The closet thing we have that resembles a human being is a monkey, if it shows positive results within then use it. 

Then there is a big chance it will be the same with human beings. 

I understand that vaccines need time to test etc etc, but there isn't anything stopping them from using an approved drug use it. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

19 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

the problem for me is they keep using the term peak which suggests to lots of people that deaths and infections will fall off after it. when for a period i would expect a plateau that could go on for a week or even longer (even months).

Exactly

davemclaren
Just now, Bongo 1874 said:

Correct, stop ****ing about, you can wait all they months to then find that it might not even work, but if you try it and get results use it, according to scientists they are seeing positive results in animals like ferrets, rabbits, monkeys. 

The closet thing we have that resembles a human being is a monkey, if it shows positive results within a week in it. 

I understand that vaccines need time to test etc etc, but there isn't anything stopping them from using an approved drug use it. 

What are the known side effects?

1 minute ago, davemclaren said:

What are the known side effects?

There isn't any, the report is telling us it killed it within 48 hours that's massive, I would put money on that vaccines that are getting tested take more than a week for it to get rid of it. 

The motto of this country is Who Dares Wins. 

The drug has been approved by the FDA. 

Desperate times call for desperate measures. 

5 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

The closet thing we have that resembles a human being is a monkey, if it shows positive results within then use it. 

If it was only that simple - human immune system is extremely complex

2 hours ago, JimmyCant said:

Before looking at the government for that particular issue I’d be looking at the organisers who flew in the face of what almost every other large event had decided to do that week, before it was compulsory, and I’d be looking at people who still attended without a second thought about the possible impact.

Given that the situation is uncharted waters in a massive scale and the government have had to do most of this off the cuff, the time to judge would be at the end of this when we see how many died and what the impact on the economy was, comparing both in a global basis with similar developed countries.

No doubt mistakes are being made and lessons being learned but criminal negligence ??

That line is getting a bit tired no? How many public enquiries conclude this way...or put it another way, has there ever been one that didn't?

8 minutes ago, DarthVodka said:

If it was only that simple - human immune system is extremely complex

I understand that but this drug has been approved, what is there to lose.

Either that the report is talking shit, but it says it killed it within 48 hours how true that is I don't know. 

Could it be made up. 

It really mind boggles me when you see countrys like America, and Russia that have there secret bunkers. 

Area 51 and Russian biological labs. 

That do research on aliens and other stuff like this that is top secret, but aren't prepared for stuff like this, it's crazy the amount of funding that is put into these places. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

Francis Albert
1 hour ago, JimmyCant said:

I’m sure there will be a small percentage of the population who will find what she has to say to be highly relevant and inspirational. The rest of us will wonder why her and her disjointed family are still receiving multiple millions of pounds of taxpayers money to be nothing more than an outdated tourist attraction 

I am a republican but to even mention the cost of the Royal family at the present time seems totally disproportionate. 

I'm in the camp of getting rid of a lot of the normal protocols and delays for treatments.     You can't rush a vaccine as a bad vaccine can be unimagineably dangerous but there's no overall risk associated risk to a treatment.     They should be moving towards immediate use of drugs on the basis on patient or family member consent.    All other legal ramifications should be suspended.

A well known side effect of being gravely ill and being practically beyond recovery is... 

1 minute ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Does anyone find it weird how quick Charles recovered? I've been bed bound for 2 weeks and a half now. 

Nah. Some people recover way faster than others. You starting to feel better?

Aaaand another arsetwat at the shops wearing a mask. Standing in the queue outside and someone taps me on the arms asking me to move out the way so she can have a look at a rack of potted plants. 

Does anyone find it weird how quick Charles recovered? I've been bed bound for 2 weeks and a half now. 

No.   There's a wide variance in certain symptoms,  lack of certain symptoms,  order of symptoms,  combination of symptoms,  duration of symptoms.

2 minutes ago, GinRummy said:

Nah. Some people recover way faster than others. You starting to feel better?

Getting there I understand that but personally speaking this thing can last upto 2 weeks, in your system after recovery he could be infecting other people and not even know it. 

There are alot of people that are asymptomatic carriers. 

Just now, Bongo 1874 said:

Getting there I understand that but personally speaking this thing can last upto 2 weeks, in your system after recovery he could be infecting other people and not even know it. 

Good mate. Glad you’re on the mend 👍

Just now, GinRummy said:

Good mate. Glad you’re on the mend 👍

Just hoping and praying none of the family get it now, been staying away from them as much as possible. 

Dagger Is Back
37 minutes ago, milky_26 said:

Ha ha

Taking it in turns to be QM is a good shout too

3 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Just hoping and praying none of the family get it now, been staying away from them as much as possible. 

👍 hopefully not. Hope you’re fit and well soon. 

2 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

Ha ha

Taking it in turns to be QM is a good shout too

it has been good, especially since one of them is in america and we havent been in the same room for probably 2.5 years

I haven’t witnessed any problems where I live with regards to social distancing. I’ve been to Asda , arrows everywhere and everyone was keeping a good distance from each other. During work I have to go into a few shops and stuff and there’s been queues with plenty space between people whilst waiting. 

The Internet

Yeah I don't get how people are saying nothings changed and everyone is going about business as usual. Simply not the case. There's still some cars on the road and people in shops but it's nowhere near normal levels and the vast majority in my experience are keeping their distance from others. 

15 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Glad you are getting better sounded horrendous what you had and I think they call that moderate.

2 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Glad you are getting better sounded horrendous what you had and I think they call that moderate.

I never got tested mate, but I can honestly tell you know this is nothing like what I've had before, 

Sitting in your bed at night pains and aches all over your body, stomping headache, nasal congestion, fever. 

Heart palpitations. 

Not sleeping for 5-6 days in a row, coughing up blood. 

I managed to get 2 hours sleep, and the scariest thing about it was, I woke up drenched in my own sweat i was hallucinating, my dream was i had found dynamo the magician and we had got a vaccine. 

I was sitting up talking to myself.

I won't ever forget this experience. 

While there are an increasing number of cases, they are saying they can still cope. 

Some journalists have suggested that they have started to let some die to treat others but not confirmed. More questions at Government briefing to come. On now. 

Edit - just asked about 'do not resuscitate notices' - Chief Nurse said these are usual normal discussions and should NOT be done due to Covid 19. 

Edited by Mikey1874

I never got tested mate, but I can honestly tell you know this is nothing like what I've had before, 

Sitting in your bed at night pains and aches all over your body, stomping headache, nasal congestion, fever. 

Heart palpitations. 

Not sleeping for 5-6 days in a row, coughing up blood. 

I managed to get 2 hours sleep, and the scariest thing about it was, I woke up drenched in my own sweat i was hallucinating, my dream was i had found dynamo the magician and we had got a vaccine. 

I was sitting up talking to myself.

I won't ever forget this experience. 

Describing it a lot how my wife's boss has had it.Thankfully  it's been about 20 days since she seen her but they all had a skype meeting one day and the next day she was ****ed with it and has been for 10 days.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic