New Captain

Eddiepolio3

Eddiepolio3

If as expected, Shanks leaves in the summer who do we think should be the next captain?  

Personally I'd go for Frankie as the match day captain and have Craig Gordon as the Club captain assuming he's not going to play every game.

Sooks

Kent or Halkett depending on availability for me . That does not take in to account any new players though obviously 

DG_HMFC

Would like us to sign a new captain. 

I always prefer a captain who plays in centre mid, so hopefully we get one.

Sooks
Just now, DG_HMFC said:

Would like us to sign a new captain. 

I always prefer a captain who plays in centre mid, so hopefully we get one.

If Beni leaves and we sign a replacement , then hopefully it is someone with captain qualities 

Bazzas right boot

Kingsley?

sirwalter
8 minutes ago, Eddiepolio3 said:

If as expected, Shanks leaves in the summer who do we think should be the next captain?  

Personally I'd go for Frankie as the match day captain and have Craig Gordon as the Club captain assuming he's not going to play every game.

Expected by whom? This thread seems a little premature.

Homme
Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Polonia Gorgie said:

Possibly Zander

Would be my choice I think or a defender like Kent or Kingsley.

I realise I could be in a minority of one here but I never thought Shankland was a great choice as captain. Still don't tbh. As talismanic as he is, we have had far better leaders in Gordon, Pressley etc in the past. Just don't see that Captians presence in Shanks.

Edited by Homme

RustyRightPeg

Always wondered why Kingsley has never been in consideration. He leads by example most weeks. 

been here before
Just now, Homme said:

Would be my choice I think or a defender like Kent.

I realise I could be in a minority of one here but I never thought Shankland was a great choice as captain. Still don't tbh. As talismanic as he is, we have had far better leaders in Gordon, Pressley etc in the past. Just don't see that Captians presence in Shanks.

Make that a minority of 2 said so at the time but the JKB Peps thought better 

Kent or Kingsley for me regardless of Shankland staying or going 

saxondale

We've got a few options tbf.

Zander, Kent, Halkett and Kingsley would be good options. But like others have said, would be good to have a CM to throw in the mix.

33 minutes ago, Bazzas right boot said:

Kingsley?

I love Kingsley but doesn’t strike me as the captain type. The amount of times he comes off injured but is available the next game tells me he’s not someone you’d want in the trenches with you. 

Gordon (If he gets his place back) or Devlin (If he cements a starting place) 

The Gorgie

Kingsley or Kent for me. Halkett will play about 5 games so no point it being him

gar jambo
58 minutes ago, Sooks said:

Kent or Halkett depending on availability for me . That does not take in to account any new players though obviously 

Our best Defender is injured hope he is back stronger he was never injured at livi he’s been unlucky ! 

scott herbertson

Kent is the obvious choice. 9 times out of 10,  I would go for a centre half - they can see what is happening and are used to shouting at the useless tossers in midfield and up front

(so says an ex centre half...)

Ricardo Quaresma

Kingsley has been here longest

1 hour ago, sirwalter said:

Yep I don't expect him to go.

highlandjambo3
1 hour ago, Sooks said:

That’s Kent then………….Halkett on crutches is not a good look for us.

stuart500

Third place in the bag;

Millions in the bank;

Some decent signings already made;

Great fun speculating about exciting new players;

Lovely wee thread this to while away the time, whilst our rivals scramble about like headless chickens in basement zone.

It would be Kingsley for me..

Now, anyone fancy a thread on your favourite half time snack??

indianajones

Kent although he's fairly vocal without the band. 

Kingsley would be another choice. 

1 minute ago, indianajones said:

Kent although he's fairly vocal without the band. 

Kingsley would be another choice. 

I don't really get the Kingsley calls. Part of that pretty useless defence last season with Sibbick & Rowles. Doesn't strike me as a leader type TBH. 

Bull's-eye

The Hoff.

For no other reason that nobody has said the Hoff yet.

hmfcbilly
1 hour ago, Sooks said:

If Beni leaves and we sign a replacement , then hopefully it is someone with captain qualities 

Dobt think there's much If in whether he leaves. Just my opinion. I wouldn't want to see us break the bank to keep him tbh, especially given his injury problems

spacerjoe
2 hours ago, Eddiepolio3 said:

Denholm. PHM.

soonbe110
2 hours ago, RustyRightPeg said:

Always wondered why Kingsley has never been in consideration. He leads by example most weeks. 

Indeed, the consummate pro. 

soonbe110
1 hour ago, stuart500 said:

Third place in the bag;

Millions in the bank;

Some decent signings already made;

Great fun speculating about exciting new players;

Lovely wee thread this to while away the time, whilst our rivals scramble about like headless chickens in basement zone.

It would be Kingsley for me..

Now, anyone fancy a thread on your favourite half time snack??

Traditionalist - steak and gravy pie😂😂

stuart500
6 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

Traditionalist - steak and gravy pie😂😂

Can't disagree with that 👍

spirt of 98
3 hours ago, Eddiepolio3 said:

Good shout. Frankie would make a good Captain. 

Tynie 3
4 hours ago, sirwalter said:

Shankland is gone without a doubt he has basically told you he wishes for a higher challenge. Sorry to see him go if he does but I would be cashing in on our asset instead of letting him walk for nothing.

RobNox
30 minutes ago, Tynie 3 said:

Shankland is gone without a doubt he has basically told you he wishes for a higher challenge. Sorry to see him go if he does but I would be cashing in on our asset instead of letting him walk for nothing.

He might wish for a higher challenge, but's only going in the Summer if a club is prepared to meet our asking price, so that rules out Rangers.

gregzy2k7
Posted (edited)

Calem Neiwenhof could be an outside the box shout, think he could really kick on next season.

The obvious one would be Frankie Kent if Shankland left, although if Halkett can get himself in and stay fit ahead of Rowles, then he is quite a strong character also.

Edited by gregzy2k7

1874Jambo

Why not just let Gordon carry on as captain with someone as vice if he's not playing, don't understand why shankland was still captain when Gordon was playing did he ever relinquish the captaincy?

Uncle Buck

I think Halkett would have got it over Shankland at the time, if he’d not got injured in the same game as Gordon.

Sure it’ll be between Clark, Kent or Kingsley this time if Shankland leaves.

mitch41
6 hours ago, Sooks said:

Halkett won’t be a first team regular……..Fact.

Hansel

Spittal and Dhanda were captains at Well and County so it's good that we're adding potential leaders to the squad. They may be future captains for hearts perhaps 

mitch41

One man who does a lot of talking and gets players told is Blair Spittal. Maybe too soon for him coming in this summer but making him a new captain isn’t unprecedented. But I’m sure Naisy will make the right choice after the preseason when he can judge who he wants and what is best for the club.

HeartsandonlyHearts
7 hours ago, Eddiepolio3 said:

If as expected, Shanks leaves in the summer who do we think should be the next captain?  

🤔

Ricardo Quaresma
2 hours ago, Tynie 3 said:

paisley?

:sniff:

MR INCREDIBLE
14 hours ago, been here before said:

Make that a minority of 2 said so at the time but the JKB Peps thought better 

Kent or Kingsley for me regardless of Shankland staying or going 

Totally agree !!!

Kent for me !!

I started a thread on this earlier in the season and got slated !

If things aren’t going Shanklands way in a game you can see him going in the huff !!

Not captain material I’m afraid !

Whatever fans views on Pressley there is no doubt he was a great skipper !!

We_are_the_Hearts

The role of the Captain has changed over the years and its not about the big defender that shouts any more. Its the player who leads by example and commands respect and unites the player. De Bruyne at City, Odegaard at Arsenal. Shanks has been a great Captain.

EH11 2NL

Kingsley would be a great captain for Hearts imo. 

TheBigO
8 hours ago, Hansel said:

Spittal and Dhanda were captains at Well and County so it's good that we're adding potential leaders to the squad. They may be future captains for hearts perhaps 

That's a very good point which had escaped me.  Not only signing best players from teams, but in signing captains, we'd hopefully be signing good "types" as well.

I think this is something we've been very very good at in recent years.  Even guys who've perhaps not had the impact we'd have hoped have been good characters, and that includes guys coming in from overseas, which is surely harder to research.  It's something Joe talks about and Naisy has raised a number of times, how important character is.

I've said it a bunch of times and hopefully not setting myself for a fall, but got a really good feeling about Dhanda - he's just what we need in terms of talent, has something about him, a Hearts connection, I think he's going to be brilliant.  And I think Spittal and Penrice will be good signings too actually, Penrice perhaps something of a squad player but Spittal I think can have impact.  They're good additions.

Also what these guys mean is that we can concentrate on just a couple of important signings now - dare I use the word "marquee...."?