Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )

CJGJ

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Sky are reporting that there’s been a study into face masks and that WHO have been urged to change their advice on the benefits of wearing them. Hopefully not by a company paid by the producers of them to look into it. 
Austria have said you have to wear a mask to get your shopping.

They won't stop you catching the virus but might stop you passing it on.

• Replies 107.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JudyJudyJudy

• Victorian

• redjambo

• The Real Maroonblood

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Could have been brought in by a visitor or a member of staff.

His son said there were no visitors.

2 minutes ago, graygo said:

So if everyone wore one then it's good advice to wear them surely

Jambo-Jimbo
1 minute ago, graygo said:

His son said there were no visitors.

After he caught the virus, yes, that's standard practice now.

If he'd had no visitors whatsoever before he caught the virus, then it has to have been a member of staff who passed it on.

Pasquale for King
7 minutes ago, graygo said:

Yeah I know that all seeing one, there’s a new study out saying that might be wrong, as I said. Thanks for your pointless interjection.

4 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Wearing a mask is obviously advisable.  The only reason we have been told not to wear them is due to short supply.

It is part of PPE for people treating folk with covid so it obviously helps.

The changed message on masks is based on supposedly new research regarding how far it can be ejected in coughs and sneezes,  as well as remain suspended in air.     Utter bollocks.     There is no way that kind of knowledge of the mechanics of respiratory spreading has markedly changed.

Aye. ****ing. Right.

5 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

As I said in my earlier post, we have a population of around 60 million. The masks are not supposed to be used more than once. There is already a shortage for frontline staff.

No, it's not good advice.

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Interesting that the UK government has been heavily criticised on here for not following WHO guidance...so surely the WHO can't have got something wrong?

If new evidence shows a different idea then you’re not technically wrong before that. 

The Mighty Thor
4 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The changed message on masks is based on supposedly new research regarding how far it can be ejected in coughs and sneezes,  as well as remain suspended in air.     Utter bollocks.     There is no way that kind of knowledge of the mechanics of respiratory spreading has markedly changed.

Aye. ****ing. Right.

****, we're taking an absolute tanking on lack of testing and lack of PPE.

Quick, use masks as a diversion. 

1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Not sure if it's UK or from the WHO but it's definitely a piece of nonsense in terms of the specifics.    Masks wont do any harm per se but the 'new studies' line is bogus.

1 hour ago, graygo said:

Only 11 deaths in the USA in the last 24 hours.  Have they changed the way they count?

The Worldometer resets its stats at 0:00 GMT each day. Those are the only deaths reported since then.

6 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

If new evidence shows a different idea then you’re not technically wrong before that. 

Being unaware that you are wrong doesn't mean that you're not technically wrong...

But I get your point and I'm not having a pop at the WHO for potentially changing their stance, more at those who took their advice as an opportunity to make political points.

dobmisterdobster

Bio-aerosols can still get into your eyes.

Surgical masks are more of a fashion symbol than anything.

25 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Sky are reporting that there’s been a study into face masks and that WHO have been urged to change their advice on the benefits of wearing them. Hopefully not by a company paid by the producers of them to look into it. 
Austria have said you have to wear a mask to get your shopping.

Makes complete sense to me.

No doubt our government will attempt to put an order in, in about a fortnight, after every other country has bought all supplies for the next 6 months.

Pasquale for King
2 minutes ago, Taffin said:

Being unaware that you are wrong doesn't mean that you're not technically wrong...

But I get your point and I'm not having a pop at the WHO for potentially changing their stance, more at those who took their advice as an opportunity to make political points.

As far I’m concerned criticising them for ignoring basic advice on preparations for this is wholly acceptable, wearing masks is a different thing. But yes the WHO have been criticised in the past.

Edited by Pasquale for King

9 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

As far I’m concerned criticising them for ignoring basic advice on preparations for this is wholly acceptable, wearing masks is a different thing.

So how do you know the other advice from the WHO was right if this was wrong?

It's being suggested on this thread that the WHO are kowtowing to another actor with a vested interest to suggest that masks should be worn. Yet their advice to test, test, test was taken at face value and not questioned on that basis.

Testing - "WHO right, government wrong"

Masks - "WHO have been influenced in some way as they can't possibly have got it wrong. It's a government ploy to divert attention."

My initial comment was just tongue in cheek but literally within a few posts on this page it happened.

Edited by Taffin

Actually it was naive to assume masks will do no harm per se.    There is a more than likely probability that the heightened consciousness of the use of masks as a beneficial thing will be perverted to become a self-justification for people to move around more than they are currently permitted to.

Nice day... they say I shouldn't be oot at the beach... but check me oot in ma mask.    Piss off plod,   you're being heavy handed.    The BBC said so.

Pasquale for King
1 minute ago, Taffin said:

So how do you know the other advice from the WHO was right if this was wrong?

It's being suggested on this thread that the WHO are kowtowing to another actor with a vested interest to suggest that masks should be worn. Yet their advice to test, test, test was taken at face value and not questioned on that basis.

Testing - "WHO right, government wrong"

Masks - "WHO have been influenced in some way as they can't possibly have got it wrong. It's a government ploy to divert attention."

My initial comment was just tongue in cheek but literally within a few posts on this page it happened.

If they are giving advice on stuff that’s worked in other countries then everything points to it being correct. You need to test more folk , that works, BJ accepts this but they’re still not doing enough. We need ventilators, not done. Lockdown, not quick enough.

9 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

Not to mention the pollution the masks would cause. The masks aren't the solution. 

The whole world is battling Cv-19 and at this very minute, pollution from a massed produced product that may reduce the pathogen spread is giving you concern. :notsure:

Yes, masks alone are not the solution, but could be a small contributing factor in the eradication of Cv-19.

Pasquale for King
12 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Actually it was naive to assume masks will do no harm per se.    There is a more than likely probability that the heightened consciousness of the use of masks as a beneficial thing will be perverted to become a self-justification for people to move around more than they are currently permitted to.

Nice day... they say I shouldn't be oot at the beach... but check me oot in ma mask.    Piss off plod,   you're being heavy handed.    The BBC said so.

Absolutely. But then the NHS staff wear the masks to stop them being infected. I’m  also a bit worried about all these masks and gloves being thrown in the bin, in this day and age reusable versions are available but won’t make as much money.

Jambo-Jimbo
30 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

New research from Hong Kong, nothing to do with the UK, it would seem.

'On Wednesday, infectious disease expert Professor David Heymann revealed the WHO was to review evidence on mask-wearing.

He told a Chatham House briefing: "There is right now a debate about the usefulness of masks because Hong Kong has provided some evidence that masks may be useful in protecting individuals from infection."

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-world-health-organisation-to-review-whether-masks-help-prevent-covid-19-spread-11967348

Jambo-Jimbo
7 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

Absolutely. But then the NHS staff wear the masks to stop them being infected. I’m  also a bit worried about all these masks and gloves being thrown in the bin, in this day and age reusable versions are available but won’t make as much money.

Thrown in the bin, naw mate, it seems the sea will do just fine.

https://news.sky.com/video/coronavirus-used-face-masks-wash-up-on-hong-kong-beaches-11956769

image.thumb.jpeg.3073b75bb60f88aef28edc5d0de959df.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Pasquale for King said:

That’s even worse 🙈. Nature is repairing itself and we are going to pollute it even more. 

:facepalm:

Maybe it's nature's dominant species naturally adapting to survive by lobbing everything in the sea to make nature have second thoughts and say "nut... call off the virus... we need these ***** to clean up the sea... the dolphins aren't up to the task".

Sturgeon speaking now.

292 new cases in Scotland 

15 more people in ICU

10 new deaths of Lab confirmations in last 24 hours plus an additional 40 deaths which occurred before. I think.

Edited by hughesie27

Felix Lighter

Here is a link to a Youtube channel I've been using for info from the off.

Skip to 14.50 for a wee clip about particle spread...

Jambo-Jimbo
51 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Aye. ****ing. Right.

All this was known at least 3 years ago, coincidentally the distances giving are 19 - 26 feet, which is roughly 5.8 to 7.9 metres, which is pretty much the same distance as being reported in the media today of 6 - 8 metres.

Article from September 2017

https://www.geisinger.org/health-and-wellness/wellness-articles/2017/09/11/20/51/one-sneeze-spreads-germs-how-far

My best mates mother in law is confirmed as of this morning. That's the closest it has been to me so far as up until now I did not know anyone who had contracted yet. 

Pasquale for King
5 minutes ago, Victorian said:

:facepalm:

Maybe it's nature's dominant species naturally adapting to survive by lobbing everything in the sea to make nature have second thoughts and say "nut... call off the virus... we need these ***** to clean up the sea... the dolphins aren't up to the task".

Or make new ones that kill us all. I can’t see humans changing but we live in hope.

The Internet

Suppose it shows how bad the situation is that 569 is on the extremely low side of what I expected. 

Bad but not jumping up on yesterday.   But we could be looking at that or worse for many days in a row.  Weeks even.   

Jambo-Jimbo

50 extra deaths in Scotland, however not all in the last 24 hours, some occured days ago but are only now being reported.

Total of 126 deaths in Scotland now.

Pasquale for King
8 minutes ago, Felix Lighter said:

Here is a link to a Youtube channel I've been using for info from the off.

Skip to 14.50 for a wee clip about particle spread...

Thanks for that.

8 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

50 extra deaths in Scotland, however not all in the last 24 hours, some occured days ago but are only now being reported.

Total of 126 deaths in Scotland now.

Got a proper fright when I first heard the numbers as it is an increase of over 200% on yesterday.

24 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Sturgeon speaking now.

292 new cases in Scotland 

15 more people in ICU

10 new deaths of Lab confirmations in last 24 hours plus an additional 40 deaths which occurred before. I think.

In order for a case to be confirmed as Covid-19 surely they have to be tested?. 

12 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

In order for a case to be confirmed as Covid-19 surely they have to be tested?. 

From now on they will be counting deaths where it is suspected that they had Covid-19 and is included on the death certificate.

No idea if this is allowed, so mods feel free to remove if inappropriate.

This guy could do with some help and has posted in the Edinburgh sub Reddit.

5 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

From now on they will be counting deaths where it is suspected that they had Covid-19 and is included on the death certificate.

Am I right in saying though, that there are different regions of covid, as it stands there are 356 positive cases of it in the lothians?. 

Jambof3tornado
1 hour ago, Pasquale for King said:

We wear the masks to reduce the risk of infection. It would be great if they 100% stopped us getting infected!!

Gloves being wasted on the other hand is just silly. People wearing gloves but still touching supermarket trolleys then their faces. About 6 times I educated people in tesco this morning.

Jambof3tornado

Always remember amongst the doom and gloom, a far larger number of people have had, and recovered from covid19 than have even been tested!!

Stay home if you can, keep away from others if you must be out and about. Check in on your mates using social media etc etc. This is going to run for several more weeks yet.

Good luck jambos.

dobmisterdobster

We currently test enough people to provide a representative sample.

More testing will NOT provide more accurate results. That's not how it works.

The role of testing is so misunderstood.

4 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

Surely statistically the more people tested, the more accurately death ratios and how much the virus has spread is understood.  I thought statistically speaking the bigger the sample the more accurate the result?

4 minutes ago, dobmisterdobster said:

But if the antibody tests become a reality, having mass data on who has recovered might be useful to working out chances of reinfection and whether some parts of society can open up again if those people can't be infected or carry it virally.

It's the only positive left for me to cling on to at the moment, dinnae take it away!

If you have mass testing capacity you can test everyone on the front line and get people isolated and out of isolation.    You can test the public and do associated contact tracing to get people isolated quicker to break as many infection chains as possible.

Of course testing is beneficial.

• davemclaren changed the title to Coronavirus Super Thread ( merged )
  • JKBMod 12 featured, locked, unlocked and unfeatured this topic