***OFFICIAL SUMMER TRANSFER THREAD***

Absolute Scenes

2 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

So did Dobbie in that league,  still does but not great out of it. Not so sure he represents good vfm now either he's bagged a good few.

I suppose all of these deals are what you get for your cash and how they improve the balance of your squad. 

It's never really straight forward. Personally I believe Naismith will make a difference to most players around him. 

He's 23 so he is a good age to be developed and I agree Naismith would be the obvious person to assist in this. Interesting that McCall is telling him to go somewhere where he would play, that is good advice and he would have a decent chance of starting with us. Out of contract and worth taking a chance on. 

• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff Turn

• Bazzas right boot

Bazzas right boot
13 minutes ago, Taffin said:

I don't see anyone saying that. Most seem to be saying a 10-15 striker would make them happy. Magennis has averaged 6 a season.

Naismith will be that guy 

Even guys that get that amount will be difficult to attract and like Sutton hardly a guarantee. 

Who are these guys, even in that bracket? 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Jodami said:

He's 23 so he is a good age to be developed and I agree Naismith would be the obvious person to assist in this. Interesting that McCall is telling him to go somewhere where he would play, that is good advice and he would have a decent chance of starting with us. Out of contract and worth taking a chance on. 

I wouldn't be averse to be honest. I just hope we are getting decent deals. 

Magennis I think will surprise a lot of people. He is a menace these days. Bustling type. I doubt defenders enjoy playing against him 

siegementality
21 minutes ago, Holyrood_Hearts said:

To be fair everyone knew Sammon was a huddy & a bad signing except Neilson & Levein

And Olly Lee’s Left Bollock ?

Edited by siegementality

7 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

I wouldn't be averse to be honest. I just hope we are getting decent deals. 

Magennis I think will surprise a lot of people. He is a menace these days. Bustling type. I doubt defenders enjoy playing against him 

Good combination player, brings others into game. Naismith, Magennis up front decent. 

Nookie Bear
49 minutes ago, Brighton Jambo said:

Absolutely this.  

I am setting a challenge, to all those posters who didn’t want Main, don’t want Mcgennis etc.  Please name a striker who you do want us to sign. And it needs to be realistic in terms of budget, would come.

Cant be bothered with this argument. Football is so global that I could give you 100 names of players in, say, Africa and nobody would have a single clue if they would do the job or not. 

Brighton Jambo
1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

Cant be bothered with this argument. Football is so global that I could give you 100 names of players in, say, Africa and nobody would have a single clue if they would do the job or not. 

That’s kind of my point, there could be some gems out there but if we bring one in you can imagine the rage that we have signed another foreigner no one hasn’t heard of.  

1 minute ago, Nookie Bear said:

It's still a fair question. Whether you can be bothered or not. 

Magennis somehow is doable. Which is perhaps a surprise. Shankland for example probably can get more elsewhere. Maybe. Daniel Sturridge is going to Tottenham who pay more than us. 

Doesn't Magennis have a bit of history with the hearts support? I vaguely remember him claiming racial abuse for being called an Irish ******* 

Selkirkhmfc1874
1 minute ago, BigAlim said:

Doesn't Magennis have a bit of history with the hearts support? I vaguely remember him claiming racial abuse for being called an Irish ******* 

Yes

2 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

History with one person. 

And I suppose people who don't mind. 

4 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

It's ludicrous. The same argument that's used for a change of manager. The average fan shouldn't and couldn't know whats out there but Hearts should. And the real argument should always come back to are we getting value for money / reaching our potential. Magennis, from what people know, is a workhorse and little else. Average to poor goalscoring record. Folk are rightly highlighting concerns if this is the road we are going down - it suggests the style of play will not change and he brings little more than Uche. 

I don't know what players are available, what loan options are out there etc. But when you see teams around sign and develop strikers it's makes you question these types of signings.

siegementality

Looking strictly at the players we had, Magennis would be an upgrade on Sammon. 

If he signs how much use he will be will be decided by who else we sign. Looking at his Wyscout showreel he feeds of crosses. We don’t have anyone who can provide that quality of ball at this time.

I can totally understand why people might be disappointed if he signs. It doesn’t bode well for any change in play or strategy from Levein. Looks like same old, same old from him.

Never mind we’ll all have jam in five years when the academy kids come through! That’s if we’ve not all died of boredom in the meantime.

3 minutes ago, bistokid said:

It's ludicrous. The same argument that's used for a change of manager. The average fan shouldn't and couldn't know whats out there but Hearts should. And the real argument should always come back to are we getting value for money / reaching our potential. Magennis, from what people know, is a workhorse and little else. Average to poor goalscoring record. Folk are rightly highlighting concerns if this is the road we are going down - it suggests the style of play will not change and he brings little more than Uche. 

I don't know what players are available, what loan options are out there etc. But when you see teams around sign and develop strikers it's makes you question these types of signings.

So with all that in mind Magennis is a good signing. 

Fans like you don't know very much in general and specifically what Magennis can bring. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

So with all that in mind Magennis is a good 

I'd argue on the face of it he isn't. 

I really don’t understand you lot.

Constantly moan about Levein signing strikers that don’t score yet the possibility of Magennis signing isn’t universally derided.

He’s not a player that is going to get better - he has gone through his development stage.

People say he would be ok cover. Maybe he would but I m completely opposed to us signing squad players and I believe our management is - every player signed should be capable of pushing for or inclusion as a first choice.

Levein’s stated object of this window is to sign a low number of quality players who have the ability to change games.

Josh does not and never will fit that description.

I’d have to wait until the window closed but I’d have to seriously question my continued support for Levein if Macgennis was one of our 3 or 4 signings this summer.

An utterly pish signing.

Nookie Bear
9 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

It's still a fair question. Whether you can be bothered or not. 

Magennis somehow is doable. Which is perhaps a surprise. Shankland for example probably can get more elsewhere. Maybe. Daniel Sturridge is going to Tottenham who pay more than us. 

It’s only a fair question if my job was scouting players. 

To suggest there are not strikers on this planet who we can afford, and will improve  us, is implausible. We just need to find them. 

3 minutes ago, bistokid said:

I'd argue on the face of it he isn't. 

In detail then give me an analysis of how Magennis plays. 

Actually that is unfair. You just are giving an opinion. You don't know. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Just now, Nookie Bear said:

It’s only a fair question if my job was scouting players. 

To suggest there are not strikers on this planet who we can afford, and will improve  us, is implausible. We just need to find them. 

Like Magennis if indeed he is coming. 

1 minute ago, siegementality said:

I can totally understand why people might be disappointed if he signs. It doesn’t bode well for any change in play or strategy from Levein. Looks like same old, same old from him.

Never mind we’ll all have jam in five years when the academy kids come through! That’s if we’ve not all died of boredom in the meantime.

This is my concern, we appear to be great at breeding ‘total football’ happy on the ball, pass and move types like McDonald, Hickey, Hamilton and Cochrane but this far haven’t shown any steps toward implementing such an approach at first team level. Appreciate I any just be impatient but would like to see signings build toward that goal rather than impede the progress of ‘footballers’.

Levein needs a target man. Besides Uche we don't have any back up/ competition. Wighton, Naismith, Mclean - none offer a like for like swap with Uche. That means if Uche gets injured we're ****ed. Mcgennis makes sense on that front. 

My preference would be to try and get either Kyle Lafferty or Liam Boyce. If there is any truth to Jordan Rhodes being of interest then obviously would try that too. If not then Mcgennis offers a functional signing that suits Leveins style of play. He's an absolute work horse, but thankfully in our league thats good. 

I'm very uninspired by it, but I can see the logic. My hope though, is that we don't have Connor Sammon 2.0 just after finally being rid of him. I'd hope any deal is contingent on him showing what he can do (2 year deal, 1 year initially with an option).

Our goal difference last season was absolutely pathetic. It worries me that we're chasing target men and not someone who can put the ball in the net. Hopefully, if we're chasing a 433 our two wingers will be of the Milinkovic mould that can add goals. Naismith is pretty much a cert for double figures, and Walker can score goals if he comes back. 

3 minutes ago, siegementality said:

Looking strictly at the players we had, Magennis would be an upgrade on Sammon. 

If he signs how much use he will be will be decided by who else we sign. Looking at his Wyscout showreel he feeds of crosses. We don’t have anyone who can provide that quality of ball at this time.

I’d debate the Sammon point but even if you are right he is not the quality of player that moves us forward.

3 years ago when we signed Sammon, JM would maybe be in our target market but now that we are established and pulling in decent cash we should be nowhere near s player like him.

Just now, Mikey1874 said:

In detail then give me an analysis of how Magennis plays. 

Eh, no. I've seen him play, semi mobile rough-houser with limited goal threat. I am not writing you a ****ing wyscout report ?

Nookie Bear
10 minutes ago, BigAlim said:

Vague recollection is that he complained about one fan, Budge banned the fan prior to the court case where he admitted shouting the comment but faced no punishment by the court. 

To be honest, it would be like us signing Steve Kirk. 

Just now, bistokid said:

Eh, no. I've seen him play, semi mobile rough-houser with limited goal threat. I am not writing you a ****ing wyscout report ?

Yeah. Fair enough. I did an edit. You don't know. 

He actually is a clever player. Brings others into play. Could be very good with Naismith and also guys like McDonald and Smith mentioned by others. 

Not really a traditional target man either. We play more on the ground anyway. 

What we need is a striker to play off Uche - like a Kirk type player who played off De Vries. We don’t need another target man or if we do want one to challenge Uche we need one better than Josh ****ing Macgennis.

Edited by Jammy T

1 minute ago, Jammy T said:

What we need is a striker to play off Uche - like a Kirk type player who played off De Vries. We don’t need another target man.

I'd argue we need to evolve our style to the point that a target man is not a necessity. Not only does it put too much pressure on one player, its one dimensional and really limits what kind of artacking threat you have in the final 3rd. I fear for someone like Keena who I think has potential but doubt we will ever play to his strengths.

3 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Yeah. Fair enough. I did an edit. You don't know. 

He actually is a clever player. Brings others into play. Could be very good with Naismith and also guys like McDonald and Smith mentioned by others. 

Not really a traditional target man either. We play more on the ground anyway. 

I know in so far as I've seen him play a number of times. Unless you've been closely following his career?

40 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Naismith will be that guy 

Even guys that get that amount will be difficult to attract and like Sutton hardly a guarantee. 

Who are these guys, even in that bracket? 

Naismith might be that guy but we need strikers who score too.

I've no idea who they are, it's not my job to find them.

It's just inverse hysterics though 'ooooh Hearts fans are idiots because they are demanding a 20-25 goal striker' when all people are actually saying is they don't want a 6 goal a season striker...which is fair enough as we've already got a couple of them 

Pasquale for King
4 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

What we need is a striker to play off Uche - like a Kirk type player who played off De Vries. We don’t need another target man or if we do want one to challenge Uche we need one better than Josh ****ing Macgennis.

A striker of the ilk would be good but Uche really needs to get his head up look for him. He does when Naismith plays though, he’s probably screaming for it.

4 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Think Clare will be the number 10 next season from what I have heard 

Just now, PTBCAL said:

Surely not? That would be a disaster

4 minutes ago, bistokid said:

I know in so far as I've seen him play a number of times. Unless you've been closely following his career?

Which games did you see him in? 

3 minutes ago, PTBCAL said:

Heard what from who?

10 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Which games did you see him in? 

A number of times when he played with Kilmarnock and Aberdeen. A few times with N. Ireland.  Maybe a couple of occasions since he's been down south.  He's hardly unknown to a Scottish football fan who is half playing attention. I am not sure what your driving at.

2 minutes ago, bistokid said:

A number of times when he played with Kilmarnock and Aberdeen. A few times with N. Ireland.  Maybe a couple of occasions since he's been down south.  He's hardly unknown to a Scottish football fan who is half playing attention. I am not sure what your driving at.

I watched him in their qualifier against Gibraltar I think it was.

What we need is a dynamic striker, a younger version of Steven MacLean to lead the high press. The problem with players like Uche is he will always make the side go long and be used as a target man. We don’t need another target man unless we are changing the shape of the side, which I can’t see as we have played 352/3511 for over a year. If we do change shape then someone to play off Uche is what we need. 

2 minutes ago, bistokid said:

If he signs we'll see how he does.

I've seen a player who does a lot more in games. 

1 minute ago, busby1985 said:

What we need is a dynamic striker, a younger version of Steven MacLean to lead the high press. The problem with players like Uche is he will always make the side go long and be used as a target man. We don’t need another target man unless we are changing the shape of the side, which I can’t see as we have played 352/3511 for over a year. If we do change shape then someone to play off Uche is what we need. 

It's right we go long at times. Too much. But the main tactic with Uche was to play the ball to his feet so he can take on defenders.

Maybe we see different things. 

Edited by Mikey1874

Honestly, the entitlement of some people on here...I wasn't too fussed at first, but I now really hope Josh Mcgennis signs for us, plays a blinder in his first game and then promptly scores a hat trick against Hibs... The backtracking on here would be phenomenal ?! 'I always said he'd come good!'... 'I knew there was a player in there' etc etc

Look, why are people acting as if past history is a guarantee of future success? Maybe we're signing him because he has pace and he can run in behind? Isn't that what our team is crying out for? Take Mulraney as example of someone who arrived with an uninspiring recent record, but has become a key player for us...

2 minutes ago, Olly Lee said:

I now really hope Josh Mcgennis signs for us, plays a blinder in his first game and then promptly scores a hat trick against Hibs... The backtracking on here would be phenomenal

Not really though mate. I don’t hold out much hope of him being a revelation, but I have already stated I will support him from the stands, and I am desperate for him to be a success. If he did what you just proposed, then I think everyone would be delighted. 

2 hours ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Silly CL, passing up on all these  20-25 goals a season strikers who are proven at our level and will be happy on £4k a week. 

Yep like Kyle Lafferty. 

32 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Heard what from who?

Does it matter really. 

Management have huge hopes for Clare and still expect big things from him 

StevenNaismith

All these posts about needing someone to play off Uche etc I guarantee you that if we are offered the money the club wants that Uche will be away this summer. Lots of interest in him. I like his effort but we could do a lot better in terms of quality although Magennis isn’t that.

Bazzas right boot
8 minutes ago, karipidis said:

Yep like Kyle Lafferty. 

Lafferty had a very similar or worse goal record before joung us. 

He'd Never been a prolific goal scorer. 

Even for rangers, given thier dominance and record with goals for strikers at the time his was poor. 

Also, heCould not wait to Leave us. 

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

Portable Badger

I wonder with Nigel Adkins not accepting a new contract at Hull and leaving them whether there's now an increased chance Milinkovic might become available ?