***OFFICIAL SUMMER TRANSFER THREAD***

Absolute Scenes

kingantti1874
4 hours ago, Torres said:

This maths is worth a quote

? lol, I rounded to 20 in 180. My rounding may have been a bit “rougher” than I thought.. point stands though

• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff Turn

• Bazzas right boot

7 hours ago, Phil Dunphy said:

18 goals in 2 seasons for Killie.

Any Hearts strikers in the last 3 seasons had a similar strike rate?

Are you going to give Uche the chance of a second season to test your theory?

Uche got 8 this season and he was out injured for months. I’d be pretty confident he gets to 18 in two seasons as a bare minimum by the end of this season.

Edited by Jammy T

I would be delighted to be wrong about how I rate MaGennis. Thankfully there are a few on here who seem to rate him pretty highly. I freely admit, I am going by the guy that I saw playing for Aberdeen and Killie and then looking at his stats after that.

I assume the folk on here at pains to point out he’s a better player now, have watched him playing since he left Scotland? If so, Can I ask two questions:

What has changed? What does he now do better?

What happened last season at Bolton, where he scored 1 goal in ten appearances?

Finlay James
7 hours ago, Phil Dunphy said:

One rule for one, different rule for another, eh?

Imagine turning down a 41 cap striker (for a team performing well above their level) because of a different striker who doesn't score goals, but can "bully" defenders.

Uche has a lot more to offer than just bullying defenders.  He also has the potential to be a star whereas Magennis is and always has been a plodder.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
21 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

It’s Northern Ireland mate not Spain.

A lot of very average players have had caps for countries like them, Wales, Scotland etc 

He is one such player.

Strong Northern Ireland squad at the moment. Due to Lafferty involvement I took an interest and was impressed by Magennis and his improved performance. 

Seriously how much have you seen of him in the last few years?

Lord Beni of Gorgie
19 minutes ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

I would be delighted to be wrong about how I rate MaGennis. Thankfully there are a few on here who seem to rate him pretty highly. I freely admit, I am going by the guy that I saw playing for Aberdeen and Killie and then looking at his stats after that.

I assume the folk on here at pains to point out he’s a better player now, have watched him playing since he left Scotland? If so, Can I ask two questions:

What has changed? What does he now do better?

What happened last season at Bolton, where he scored 1 goal in ten appearances?

He seems to make far more intelligent runs.  Positioning,  plays with his head up. Bringing other players into play. 

Dribbling. 

I think something missed, he was a keeper. He has literally been an outfield player for 10 years,  7 when he left Scotland. 

It's quite an achievement to have racked up 40 odd caps for a country that has players to choose from at the moment. 

I understand people doubt Levein, but it's not just Levein who rates him.

Bolton were whipping boys and in a sorry state. 

Edited by Sir Gio

kingantti1874
4 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

He seems to make far more intelligent runs.  Positioning,  plays with his head up. Bringing other players into play. 

Dribbling. 

I think something missed, he was a keeper. He has literally been an outfield player for 10 years,  7 when he left Scotland. 

It's quite an achievement to have racked up 40 odd caps for a country that has players to choose from at the moment. 

Who else rate a him? Where’s the big queue of clubs trying to sign him? 

3 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Dribbling. 

Okay, thanks for that. Hoping to have a good discussion about this, and maybe have my view of him changed a little.

I don’t actually doubt Levein tbh. If Levein wants him, then it actually helps a little for me, because he has forgotten more about professional football than I will ever understand. Levein will see things that punters do not.

What specifically about Bolton Wanderers made them such a shambles last season, that MaGennis found himself running out 42 times and only managed to score four times? That’s the bit that could help me muster a bit of enthusiasm. ?

Bongo 1874

He made his full debut for Northern Ireland on 26 May 2010 against Turkey in a friendly 

On 8 October 2015, Magennis scored his first international goal in a 3–1 win against Greece, 5 years it took him to score his first international goal 

He has played 43 times and scored 7 goals 

Edited by Bongo 1874

Who_put_the_ball_in...

I can’t see us linked to magennis anywhere press, anyone got anything to substantiate this? Or has some just thrown in a name and we are now acting like it’s a done deal?

To be fair, he seems to have impressed a few folk in recent times. Just googled him to see how his recent matches and performances have rated. Found these:

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/ive-lost-patience-with-lafferty-world-cup-hero-backs-josh-magennis-to-start-for-northern-ireland-38190236.html

https://www.irishnews.com/sport/footballsoccer/2019/06/06/news/josh-magennis-aiming-to-put-bolton-troubles-behind-him-with-northern-ireland-1635540/

Hamilton seems to rate him pretty highly, and it doesn’t like Bolton was a great club to be at last season...

Here’s his goal from last night:

https://dai.ly/x7alaq9

(Wee bit Hartley-esque 02.04.06?)

Edited by Icon of Symmetry

11 minutes ago, Who_put_the_ball_in... said:

I can’t see us linked to magennis anywhere press, anyone got anything to substantiate this? Or has some just thrown in a name and we are now acting like it’s a done deal?

It’s clearly not a done deal. A reliable poster has said we are interested though. People are just discussing the merits of the player, in case we do sign him. 

heartmussel
1 hour ago, Jambof3tornado said:

I'd sooner give vanecek a go.

To be honest so would I.I commented earlier on in this thread about Washington and Macgennis but personally have never seen it mentioned anywhere in the media?‍♂️So I’m assuming it’s just rumours on here. 

45 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

He made his full debut for Northern Ireland on 26 May 2010 against Turkey in a friendly 

On 8 October 2015, Magennis scored his first international goal in a 3–1 win against Greece, 5 years it took him to score his first international goal 

He has played 43 times and scored 7 goals 

I wouldn't put too much store on that stat.  In most internationals, NI are the underdogs and have to play with their backs to the wall.

I don't know if I would want him or not but Vanecek, for whatever reason, has done very little and if he was a replacement for him then it would be a YES

7 minutes ago, karipidis said:

Pages and pages on a guy we’re not even linked with. 

1) It’s a close season thread about transfers. 

2) Someone has shared a wee snippet they have heard about us looking at him.

3) He’s played in Scotland before.

4) He scored last night.

You can’t see why this would spark some conversation?

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

Okay, thanks for that. Hoping to have a good discussion about this, and maybe have my view of him changed a little.

I don’t actually doubt Levein tbh. If Levein wants him, then it actually helps a little for me, because he has forgotten more about professional football than I will ever understand. Levein will see things that punters do not.

What specifically about Bolton Wanderers made them such a shambles last season, that MaGennis found himself running out 42 times and only managed to score four times? That’s the bit that could help me muster a bit of enthusiasm. ?

They were simply a very poor team that have not been paying the wages. Very dark clouds and no investment. 

Bongo 1874

For those that want to beat the drum about Magennis having 43 caps Aaron Hughes has been getting picked for virtually every squad and has hardly kicked a ball for Hearts in the last two years for me that really put things into perspective about this 43 caps. 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 hour ago, kingantti1874 said:

Who else rate a him? Where’s the big queue of clubs trying to sign him? 

Michael O Neill and Phil Parkinson clearly have had a lot of time for him. 

What I have seen myself is a much improved player. Thought he was shite up here to be honest,  changed my view.

So personally would be delighted if it comes off.

Not to say he will be our super sub.

Lord Beni of Gorgie
1 minute ago, Bongo 1874 said:

For those that want to beat the drum about Magennis having 43 caps Aaron Hughes has been getting picked for virtually every squad and has hardly kicked a ball for Hearts in the last two years for me that really put things into perspective about this 43 caps. 

:rofl:

Hughes earned over 100 before he came to Hearts and was a top player. 

Stop it

Bongo 1874
5 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Stop it

I know that i think u have misunderstood what im trying to say he hasn't kicked a ball for Hearts in over two years yet still gets in the squad. Which in itself is laughable how easy is it to get a cap. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

rick witter
21 hours ago, indianajones said:

Best bit of transfer business we could do is to sack Craig Levein. 

Without a shadow of a doubt 

Bongo 1874
7 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Stop it

It's fine if u don't understand what I'm saying mate some it comes quicker than others take your time?

Bad Religion
Just now, rick witter said:

Ann will be forced to act once the season ticket sale figures are released. 

3 minutes ago, Bad Religion said:

Does that mean he'll get a pay rise if the figures are up?

9 minutes ago, rick witter said:

7 minutes ago, Bad Religion said:

Already practising looking embarrassed. ? 

penicuik jambo

Magennis/Uche to hold the ball up and create space for Naismith, Mulraney and Jamie Walker..... sounds alright to me 

3 minutes ago, Lfhearts said:

Some people still thinking we can pay top dollar for players, get a grip, at least two years away.

Define “top dollar”. So I know how excited I need to get about two years time. Thanks.

Nookie Bear
13 minutes ago, penicuik jambo said:

Magennis/Uche to hold the ball up and create space for Naismith, Mulraney and Jamie Walker..... sounds alright to me 

Old Skool football. 

Play it up the Big Man and play off him. Dire. 

44 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

-24 games in the last two years

-leader on and off the pitch

-Was playing pretty regularly for NI whilst he was getting games for hearts

-Stopped being involved for NI and being More of a sub/leader/coach since he’s stopped getting games for hearts. 

Very different to magennis. 

Bongo 1874
8 minutes ago, Dayman said:

-Stopped being involved for NI and being More of a sub/leader/coach since he’s stopped getting games for hearts. 

U don't understand either, do u think u should be picked for a squad if u aren't playing regularly surely u pick your best squad no? Did u see his outing against livi away the man was past it everyone could see that including Levein hence why he hardly got any game time after that what im trying to say it is easier to get picked for northern Ireland because they don't have a massive pool of players to pick from i know Aaron Hughes was a good player but he's finished good pro like u said though? 24 games in two years isn't much too shout about either mate and i would like to bet he came of the bench a few times in they two years. 

Edited by Bongo 1874

Phil Dunphy
3 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

Lafferty and Naismith ?‍♂️

So you agree another forward who could get those kinds of numbers would be beneficial to the squad?

3 hours ago, Jammy T said:

What - a sclaff from 5 yards out? It was hardly Messi mate FFS.

If you think it was a "sclaff", you didn't watch the goal.

Bongo 1874
10 minutes ago, Dayman said:

Yes i agree it is different to Magennis but im telling u how it is easier to get picked for Northern Ireland because they don't have a massive pool of players. 

The Old Tolbooth

Maggenis would be a good signing for us if we could afford him, way better than what we already have imo (Uche apart, and not counting Naisy as a striker) 

Bad Religion
5 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Yes i agree it is different to Magennis but im telling u how it is easier to get picked for Northern Ireland because they don't have a massive pool of players. 

Great knowledge m8. 

29 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Old Skool football. 

Play it up the Big Man and play off him. Dire. 

This. Hopefully we are all wrong and we see the shape and high press that we saw in the cup final. 

3 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

U don't understand either, do u think u should be picked for a squad if u aren't playing regularly surely u pick your best squad no? Did u see his outing against livi away the man was past it everyone could see that including Levein hence why he hardly got any game time after that what im trying to say it is easier to get picked for northern Ireland because they don't have a massive pool of players to pick from i know Aaron Hughes was a good player but he's finished good pro like u said though? 24 games in two years isn't much too shout about either mate and i would like to bet he came of the bench a few times in they two years. 

When you’ve got a squad of 23(I think?) there’s always one or two players that are there to make up numbers a bit. I’d imagine O’Neill has his 17/18 players in with a chance of game time and the rest are reserves. Hughes most definitely is in the “reserves” category. Partially a “jobs for the boys” call up possibly as he probably would be with the squad in some capacity if he wasn’t called up. But I suppose if O’Neil trusts him he may as well have him in the squad as a back up instead of having someone unproven. 

I don’t think Hughes has had a bad game for NI in his last few outings so I’d imagine that’s good enough for a back up position.  

11 minutes ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Yeah obviously it’s easier. Still impressive to have that many caps for a pretty good nation though! I don’t think there’s many players of his age, playing at his level, with that many caps for a similar sized nation that we’d turn our noses up at! 

Edit- 29 year old striker, 43 caps for the 33rd ranked team in the world, playing English championship level. Take the name “magennis” off of it and you’d bite someone’s hand off for that player.

Just playing devils advocate here FWIW. I think he’d be good for us but can understand people not wanting him. 

Edited by Dayman

Bongo 1874
1 minute ago, Dayman said:

Yeah obviously it’s easier. Still impressive to have that many caps for a pretty good nation though! I don’t think there’s many players of his age, playing at his level, with that many caps for a similar sized nation that we’d turn our noses up at! 

Agree to disagree ?

I'm in the minority that thinks Magennis is decent. Not seen loads of him but recall he is fairly quick, quite strong and covers a lot of ground and can finish. Absolutely an improvement on Wighton and Maclean IMO

I see isma is a free agent.. better than magennis

I think he would fit in now. Issue was always application but was a natural finisher

Robbo Is God

Someone posted a name on here. Then 6 pages of people losing their minds!! Is he actually in for talks or just a rumour? I don't have an opinion about a signing until I see the scarf above the head photo. If he joins, I'll give him a chance, as I do with all signings. If he doesn't, then so what? I always enjoy the rumours and names being plucked from thin air but the absolute seethe if the name isn't top notch is outstanding. 

Magennis chat had me thinking about our transfer business last night. We have a big squad numbers wise and some of our youngsters look really promising. We are also a year or so away from owning the club. 

Bearing in mind we started so well last season and according to many posters would have been at least top 3 at the end of the season why not sign no one else, other than Naismith obviously. Gives some of our younger players a chance and gives Levein one more season to develop Mulraney, Clare and Wighton into important first team regulars. Lets our coaches show what they can do with players over a longer period of time and also means we are in a very strong financial position for the takeover. If it's a success then you can justifiably talk about a new contract for the manager, if not then we just do the same as we did with Gary Locke. 

I see isma is a free agent.. better than magennis

Wouldn't object to him coming back