***OFFICIAL SUMMER TRANSFER THREAD***

Absolute Scenes

On 07/06/2019 at 16:51, kimosavi said:

Maybe i should have put in the youth angle in my first post that's what i meant I'm no one for changing goalposts. 

?

• Replies 12.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lord Beni of Gorgie

• Beast Boy

• Cruyff Turn

• Bazzas right boot

siegementality
3 hours ago, Jammy T said:

I’d debate the Sammon point but even if you are right he is not the quality of player that moves us forward.

3 years ago when we signed Sammon, JM would maybe be in our target market but now that we are established and pulling in decent cash we should be nowhere near s player like him.

Magennis is better than Sammon. Let’s not argue the point though as it’s basically arguing that shite tastes worse than piss!

I totally agree that he is not the quality or type of player we should be looking at. I suppose I have just resigned myself to the fact that he’s a typical Levien signing, therefore it’s likely to happen.

I totally agree with the poster who said the best business we could do this summer was to sack Levien. It’s him and not finance that is holding us back.

siegementality
4 hours ago, cocobeab said:

This is my concern, we appear to be great at breeding ‘total football’ happy on the ball, pass and move types like McDonald, Hickey, Hamilton and Cochrane but this far haven’t shown any steps toward implementing such an approach at first team level. Appreciate I any just be impatient but would like to see signings build toward that goal rather than impede the progress of ‘footballers’.

100% this!

The youngsters look like they are having to change the way they play to fit into the team, rather than they way we play changing to suit the youngsters.

We need to bring in players who can help the transition from hoof ball to football. If we fail to do this we will never realise the full potential of our academy players, either ability wise or financially.

8 minutes ago, jr ewing said:

Dolly Menga is a handful for most teams this season. 

And doesn’t score. Must be on our shortlist. 

8 minutes ago, siegementality said:

I totally agree with the poster who said the best business we could do this summer was to sack Levien. It’s him and not finance that is holding us back.

Ultimately this is where I am as well but it's clearly not going to happen. What has been quite revealing since the Magennis interest was suggested is just how quickly a handful of posters have been on to defend it as a valid proposition. There are certain individuals who would be on to defend resigning Sammon if Levein chose to do so. 

Leveins Battalion
6 minutes ago, Jodami said:

Ultimately this is where I am as well but it's clearly not going to happen. What has been quite revealing since the Magennis interest was suggested is just how quickly a handful of posters have been on to defend it as a valid proposition. There are certain individuals who would be on to defend resigning Sammon if Levein chose to do so. 

Imagine if Levein never chose to sign Paul Hartley after he'd been around the block.The hysterical reaction on here to a player 'linked ' with Hearts is mental.Weird fans man.

Unknown user
1 hour ago, Who_put_the_ball_in... said:

Can someone name a 20-25 goal a season striker that would be within our budget? Only one I can think of is Lafferty and he shat on the nest.

42 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Laffertys strike rate was nowhere near that either. His season with us was a bit abnormal for him. 

Yep, I looked up his stats. Take his year with us out of the equation and he's averaged less than 6 goals per season over his career IIRC.

4 hours ago, cocobeab said:

This is my concern, we appear to be great at breeding ‘total football’ happy on the ball, pass and move types like McDonald, Hickey, Hamilton and Cochrane but this far haven’t shown any steps toward implementing such an approach at first team level. Appreciate I any just be impatient but would like to see signings build toward that goal rather than impede the progress of ‘footballers’.

Agree. 

22 minutes ago, siegementality said:

100% this!

The youngsters look like they are having to change the way they play to fit into the team, rather than they way we play changing to suit the youngsters.

We need to bring in players who can help the transition from hoof ball to football. If we fail to do this we will never realise the full potential of our academy players, either ability wise or financially.

Agree. 

4 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

Imagine if Levein never chose to sign Paul Hartley after he'd been around the block.The hysterical reaction on here to a player 'linked ' with Hearts is mental.Weird fans man.

The old Paul Hartley argument, a popular misconception. If you speak to Paul then the manager who turned his career around was Billy Stark not Craig Levein. He played him through the middle when he had been played wide throughout his career due to his physique. It's only because St Johnstone were relegated that we were able to sign him. 

Portable Badger

I just had a look on Killie KB and couldn't find any topic nor transfer speculation mentioning Magennis

merseyjambo
47 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Who is calling for a 20 plus striker?

Naismith won’t be far off that over a full season. A good argument that if Uche stays he’ll get 12-15.

Josh MacGennis is a >10 goal a season player. I don’t care if he’s an international player. We’ve had a few shite international players. Most of our better players have not been internationals.

Sorry but don’t see Uche scoring more than 10 in a season. He got into some good positions but then fluffed his lines on a number of occasions. 

With regard Magennis, lad I work with is a Bolton ST holder and will happily pay for a private jet to get him out of the Wanderers.

Rates him as abosolute crap and stealing a wage for a living

Leveins Battalion
5 minutes ago, Jodami said:

The old Paul Hartley argument, a popular misconception. If you speak to Paul then the manager who turned his career around was Billy Stark not Craig Levein. He played him through the middle when he had been played wide throughout his career due to his physique. It's only because St Johnstone were relegated that we were able to sign him. 

If you listen to Si Ferrys interview you will see what Hartley thinks of oor Craig,?crazy that so far we have signed Halkett in the team of the year for the SPFL last season and most likely Naismith yet some on here want him sacked for being linked with a NI international striker? Hearts 'fans'are just mental.

Unknown user
9 minutes ago, Jodami said:

Stark started playing him in the middle but he only became the player we know and love after Levein dropped him and kicked his arse, explaining that he needed to put much more effort and running into his game. 

Stark changed his position, Levein changed his game, and as above that comes from Hartley in interview. 

kingantti1874

Magennis is utterly shite.. would rather have Curtis Main and I was absolutely delighted we missed out on that huddy.. hate to say it but we need a player like mcnulty, sharp - sniffs our a goal rather than ANOTHER immobile target man huddy. 

siegementality
7 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

If you listen to Si Ferrys interview you will see what Hartley thinks of oor Craig,?crazy that so far we have signed Halkett in the team of the year for the SPFL last season and most likely Naismith yet some on here want him sacked for being linked with a NI international striker? Hearts 'fans'are just mental.

Hoofball is why some fans want him sacked. He’s had his time.

Just now, Leveins Battalion said:

You suggested we signed a player who had been around the block. We signed the First Division player of the year but he didn't want to sign a new contract because St Johnstone failed to win promotion. 

Halkett looks like solid business but you don't know until you see him in maroon. The team was wholly reliant on Naismith last season so I think it's fair to say that if he wasn't signing we would be recruiting a new manager. 

Magennis is pony, everyone on here has seen him in the flesh down the years and he has been poor, certainly not a player you would actively seek to sign. Bolton have 8 players contracted at the moment and if you do a little digging you will find their fans still want shot of him. They tried to recruit a foreign striker in Vanacek and it has turned out disastrously so now its back to the Austin Macphee contacts book. What kind of recruitment strategy is that? Sitting watching the Spain v S Africa game at the moment. Better team getting beaten but SA are dangerous due to one thing, pace on the break. If we are going to look for one thing in our team up front and in midfield then that should be the focus. 

Bazzas right boot
3 minutes ago, siegementality said:

Hoofball is why some fans want him sacked. He’s had his time.

Played the ball long the 4th least in the entire league. 

3 teams played hoofball less. 

8 teams played it more. 

It's a myth, created by Hibs fans and lapped up, strangely by a few on here. 

An actual fact, that as well. 

He's also staying, get over it, move on. 

5 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Stark started playing him in the middle but he only became the player we know and love after Levein dropped him and kicked his arse, explaining that he needed to put much more effort and running into his game. 

Stark changed his position, Levein changed his game, and as above that comes from Hartley in interview. 

He was player of the year in the first division when we signed him. He came to us and thought he was going to stroll it and needed that kick up the backside, not disagreeing with that at all. 

Leveins Battalion
2 minutes ago, Jodami said:

You suggested we signed a player who had been around the block. We signed the First Division player of the year but he didn't want to sign a new contract because St Johnstone failed to win promotion. 

Halkett looks like solid business but you don't know until you see him in maroon. The team was wholly reliant on Naismith last season so I think it's fair to say that if he wasn't signing we would be recruiting a new manager. 

Magennis is pony, everyone on here has seen him in the flesh down the years and he has been poor, certainly not a player you would actively seek to sign. Bolton have 8 players contracted at the moment and if you do a little digging you will find their fans still want shot of him. They tried to recruit a foreign striker in Vanacek and it has turned out disastrously so now its back to the Austin Macphee contacts book. What kind of recruitment strategy is that? Sitting watching the Spain v S Africa game at the moment. Better team getting beaten but SA are dangerous due to one thing, pace on the break. If we are going to look for one thing in our team up front and in midfield then that should be the focus. 

We've not signed Magennis,one poster who has been wrong in the past has said we are after him,a poster said last week we are after Jordan Rhodes,Lawrence Shankland etc etc.Levein is going nowhere and rightly so,maybe we should start supporting the team no?

siegementality
Just now, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Played the ball long the 4th least in the entire league. 

3 teams played hoofball less. 

8 teams played it more. 

It's a myth, created by Hibs fans and lapped up, strangely by a few on here. 

An actual fact, that as well. 

He's also staying, get over it, move on. 

I don’t need stats to tell me what my own eyes saw. 

I can only suggest our stats are so good as the must have only counted completed hoofs. The fact that we couldn’t string two hoofs together obviously counted in our favour stats wise.

2 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

We've not signed Magennis,one poster who has been wrong in the past has said we are after him,a poster said last week we are after Jordan Rhodes,Lawrence Shankland etc etc.Levein is going nowhere and rightly so,maybe we should start supporting the team no?

I think we all do support the team but you don't have to buy into what the Coach thinks is the right type of players to bring in and style of play.

Just because we disagree on that doesn't mean we don't support the team.

4 minutes ago, siegementality said:

I can only suggest our stats are so good as the must have only counted completed hoofs. The fact that we couldn’t string two hoofs together obviously counted in our favour stats wise.

Is it not stats that Wyscout is based on and look at some of the duffers that have been signed via that!!

Bazzas right boot

Plenty more hoofs next season. 

I Cannae wait. 

Just think tho, if we sign him and he is shite, you get to be right and continue your crusade against CL. 

Might be another player to boo as well. 

That must get you a little moist? 

3 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

I sincerely hope we don't sign him. We've tried before to get Rhodes but we could only afford to take him on loan so that would be dictated by his situation when the season actually starts. I would take a punt on Shankland and he is a good finisher. 

Levein is going nowhere but I suspect that is more about having one year left on his deal and the club being close to be handed over to the FoH. He is fortunate imo. Whether he is staying or going doesn't mean that lessons don't need to be learned from the second half of the season. I would hope that things will change next year, if the rumours of Magennis are true then that doesn't look likely. 

Bull's-eye
1 minute ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

I Cannae wait. 

Just think tho, if we sign him and he is shite, you get to be right and continue your crusade against CL. 

??????

It's true anaw.

It's because we spend a phenomenal amount of time and a large proportion of passes knocking the ball around sideways in our own half. It culminates in a hoof. If you play 9 sideways 5 yard passes and one long ball, statistically not that many passes are hoofs, but the football is still absolutely shite to watch.

Leveins Battalion
4 minutes ago, Jodami said:

I sincerely hope we don't sign him. We've tried before to get Rhodes but we could only afford to take him on loan so that would be dictated by his situation when the season actually starts. I would take a punt on Shankland and he is a good finisher. 

Levein is going nowhere but I suspect that is more about having one year left on his deal and the club being close to be handed over to the FoH. He is fortunate imo. Whether he is staying or going doesn't mean that lessons don't need to be learned from the second half of the season. I would hope that things will change next year, if the rumours of Magennis are true then that doesn't look likely. 

That is just baffling ideology,Shankland has played for both Aberdeen and St Mirren like Magennis had but was less successful,plus Magennis has 42 caps and has commanded transfer fees of £200k in his last 2 moves.

39 minutes ago, merseyjambo said:

Sorry but don’t see Uche scoring more than 10 in a season. He got into some good positions but then fluffed his lines on a number of occasions. 

With regard Magennis, lad I work with is a Bolton ST holder and will happily pay for a private jet to get him out of the Wanderers.

Rates him as abosolute crap and stealing a wage for a living

He got 8 this season after five months injured which is quite good TBF and some nice composed finishes against Aberdeen and Hibs in there too. Def potential to get 10-15 but agree his decision making has to improve - which it well. Great potential. 

Edited by Gavman81

siegementality
10 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

I Cannae wait. 

Moist! ?? ????????????????????????????? Oh to be 14 again! ??

7 minutes ago, Leveins Battalion said:

That is just baffling ideology,Shankland has played for both Aberdeen and St Mirren like Magennis had but was less successful,plus Magennis has 42 caps and has commanded transfer fees of £200k in his last 2 moves.

Sammon was bought by Wigan for £600k and Derby paid them £1.2m for him, so he must be 9 times better than Magennis then. 

Shankland is 23 and would cost a lot less wages wise than a guy who is contracted to a team who were in the English Championship. They are all gambles but the stakes would be significantly lower. 

Edited by Jodami

Pasquale for King
11 minutes ago, Bellion said:

It's because we spend a phenomenal amount of time and a large proportion of passes knocking the ball around sideways in our own half. It culminates in a hoof. If you play 9 sideways 5 yard passes and one long ball, statistically not that many passes are hoofs, but the football is still absolutely shite to watch.

Pretty much.

Bazzas right boot
5 minutes ago, siegementality said:

Moist! ?? ????????????????????????????? Oh to be 14 again! ??

Admit it. 

The thought of being right, getting more ammo against CL and booing a brand new player gives you a little movement. 

2 hours ago, Icon of Symmetry said:

The reaction to people not rating him very highly is quite weird. There’s not been many who have said they won’t give him a fair crack of the whip from the stands or anything like that. Just mainly folk who have seen him play, not being very enthused by him as a player. Also don’t see anyone saying they don’t want him because he’s not a 20-25 goal a season man, and they think we should be after one of them instead. 

Just said he's a good player. Just a normal difference of opinion. Not weird. 

Bazzas right boot

We won't even sign him. 

Probably go to someone else paying more. 

siegementality
4 minutes ago, Olly Lee's left boot said:

Admit it. 

The thought of being right, getting more ammo against CL and booing a brand new player gives you a little movement. 

Movement??????????????????????????????

1 minute ago, Mikey1874 said:

Just said he's a good player. Just a normal difference of opinion. Not weird. 

I didn’t think any of your comments were weird. As far as I’m aware, you weren’t demanding people propose 25 goal a season strikers, if they didn’t fancy him much.

Pasquale for King
14 minutes ago, Gavman81 said:

He got 8 this season after five months injured which is quite good TBF and some nice composed finishes against Aberdeen and Hibs in there too. Def potential to get 10-15 but agree his decision making ha to improve - which it well. Great potential. 

Only 3 league goals though, the rest was against lower league opposition. His performance in that 2nd half kind of encapsulates the whole team, sat back first half and were awful and then pushed up onto them and were fantastic.Tje difference in the fans too was night and day, even Mcinnes praised us. He needs early balls into his feet where he can turn the defender and go, he missed a sitter that day and we should’ve had a penalty. We could’ve gave them a real doing that they rarely suffer. That’s what I want to see from my team.

Pasquale for King

Movement??????????????????????????????

Not usually a requirement of our strikers ?.

1 minute ago, Bongo 1874 said:

Josh just came on just scored from a deflection ?? Uefa giving it to Washington though. 

...and now a real one for himself:lol: