Kyle Lafferty.

skwif1

Enzo Chiefo

Would be a great signing but won't happen while Levein is here. He was signed by Cathro/MacPhee previously. Levein always talks about "uncomplicated" players, ones that "don't give me any trouble", players that toe the line and do what they're told, in other words. The problem is that many of the best players are those who are a bit of a loose cannon, who try something different on the park, who become cult heroes, who don't stick to rigid systems that stifle flair. Every team needs a couple of those types imo. A team full of mentors won't win you trophies. For example,  the great Rudi Skacel wouldn't have been anywhere near a Levein team imo.

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Forever Hearts

• Robbo-Jambo

• Jammy T

• Cruyff Turn

I think Lafferty did more for the rest of the team than he is given credit for. And not just some very good defensive performances. 

The combination with Naismith didn't work as well as we hoped but as others have said Uche, Naismith, Lafferty has some promise.

No idea if there is any chance of course. No one seems to know anything just now. 

3 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

League goals should have said - as that excludes goals against shite non league sides in the cups.

League stats:

Uche Ikpeazu 3 goals in 17 apps

Stephen Maclean 3 goals in 25 apps

Jake Mulraney 1 goal in 21 apps

Sean Clare 3 goals in 28 apps

Olly Lee 3 goals in 31 apps

Oliver Bozanic 3 goals in 25 apps 

Arnaud Djoum 3 goals in 32 apps

Calumn Morrison 1 goal in 25 apps

Aidan Keena 0 goals in 5 apps

David Vanacek 0 goals in 5 apps

Harry Cochrane 0 goals in 8 apps

Edwards 0 goals in 4 apps

All outscored by defensive midfielder Haring with 5

Thats all of our options for the final 3rd

I believe lafferty got 14 or 15 league goals

12 and 1 league goals.

...a bit disco
18 minutes ago, Restonbabe said:

Oh please go and do one! 

Tired claptrap from virtue signaling snowflakes.

He is a proven goalscorer and is exactly what we need 

:rofl:

Triggered much?

7 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

I think Lafferty did more for the rest of the team than he is given credit for. And not just some very good defensive performances. 

The combination with Naismith didn't work as well as we hoped but as others have said Uche, Naismith, Lafferty has some promise.

No idea if there is any chance of course. No one seems to know anything just now. 

Great Post what people forget Lafferty only really played with Naismith for half a season aswell when he was with us, we need players that know this league and will improve us.

Edited by Bongo 1874

portobellojambo1
7 minutes ago, Zaba said:

It’s relevant because you said that someone who has proven capable of scoring 12 league goals for us should be looked at, regardless of what else they bring to the table.

Obviously Juanma won’t be coming back but that is such a blinkered view of how football works. If the options are Lafferty scoring 12 and creating nothing for anyone else, or 3 or 4 players chipping in with 7-8 goals and creating a few for the rest of the team, I know which route I’d go down. 

Lafferty plays for Lafferty. Never mind the rest.

If we’re building something here I’d rather he wasn’t a part of it.

I'm not disagreeing with you or looking to get involved in any sort of argument. All I was saying was that goalscoring has been an area we haven't had many option in over the course of the season finished. If there was a clear option of having one player who would score (sic) 12 goals or four alternatives who would each score 8 goals the latter would always be the option. If we potentially have 4 players at the club already who despite being unable to do so to date could each come up with 8 goals each and we could also have one striker back who has shown he can score goals for us that would be perfection. However, I've also said that for non football reasons I don't expect HMFC to even consider Lafferty anyway so it is all a bit meh anyway.

August Landmesser
21 minutes ago, Restonbabe said:

Oh please go and do one! 

Tired claptrap from virtue signaling snowflakes.

He is a proven goalscorer and is exactly what we need 

Don't care what they're like just want goalzz for hertz. Let's try for Anthony Stokes while we're at it. Leigh Griffiths too.

glynnlondon
23 minutes ago, Restonbabe said:

Bring back suso, miko , Chesney, driver, Nicholson, Patterson, ( * insert a former winger here) then lol 

I'd love another Driver tbf

Hearts bent over backwards for him the last time and he repaid them by leaving us at the first opportunity.

So why should Hearts give him another chance

1 minute ago, benny said:

Hearts bent over backwards for him the last time and he repaid them by leaving us at the first opportunity.

He also got us a large fee let’s not forget, daylight robbery ?

Bazzas right boot
9 minutes ago, August Landmesser said:

Don't care what they're like just want goalzz for hertz. Let's try for Anthony Stokes while we're at it. Leigh Griffiths too.

I'd Take Griffiths....... 

:fonzie:

He is a bit of an enigma. Most successful striker we’ve had for years but a bit of an arse who comes with baggage. Don’t see Levein being interested tbh for those reasons. From what I remember he was good in the big games but couldn’t be bothered against lesser opposition. Think we could find better. Trouble is we usually don’t 

Is it a measure of the confidence we have in our scouting that we so readily get excited when former players become available. Better the devil you know? 

1 hour ago, Pans Jambo said:

I’m a bit meh about him coming back or not TBH and I’m Not looking for a pagger but you said he burnt bridges at the club. Who with?

He did make us a decent wedge. 

People on here that do definitely have a track record of knowing people in the club have said there were issues and that with the amount of support we had given him re his gambling there was some way he had behaved was like throwing it back in everyone’s faces.

Not random posters - people that have been on here a long time.

6 minutes ago, Famous 1874 said:

Upgrade on what we currently have. Would take. 

But is he an upgrade on who we might be able to get?

Edited by Jammy T

3 hours ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

League goals should have said - as that excludes goals against shite non league sides in the cups.

League stats:

Uche Ikpeazu 3 goals in 17 apps

Stephen Maclean 3 goals in 25 apps

Jake Mulraney 1 goal in 21 apps

Sean Clare 3 goals in 28 apps

Olly Lee 3 goals in 31 apps

Oliver Bozanic 3 goals in 25 apps 

Arnaud Djoum 3 goals in 32 apps

Calumn Morrison 1 goal in 25 apps

Aidan Keena 0 goals in 5 apps

David Vanacek 0 goals in 5 apps

Harry Cochrane 0 goals in 8 apps

Edwards 0 goals in 4 apps

All outscored by defensive midfielder Haring with 5

Thats all of our options for the final 3rd

I believe lafferty got 14 or 15 league goals

That is absolutely terrible.

Perfectly sums up our season.

glynnlondon
11 minutes ago, hisnameis said:

He is a bit of an enigma. Most successful striker we’ve had for years but a bit of an arse who comes with baggage. Don’t see Levein being interested tbh for those reasons. From what I remember he was good in the big games but couldn’t be bothered against lesser opposition. Think we could find better. Trouble is we usually don’t 

This in a nutshell especially the last sentence.

We need goals.

Just get us another 6ft 6 bruiser from a random league we’ve barely heard of and put us out our misery :laugh:

The chances of us signing lafferty now after he left are very slim.  Shame, he should’ve stayed with us but these things can happen.  He would be great in our team though IMO and an upgrade on what we have currently. 

glynnlondon
8 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

That gives me the fear !

Famous 1874
9 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Maybe or maybe not. I would guess no due to the current recruitment regime. 

Bridge of Djoum
4 hours ago, Hercules said:

Surely after all the videos/footage you’ve seen of Lafferty, you’d take him back no ?

I’d have him back in a heartbeat. 

I wouldn't personally, no. I understand why others would. 

Bridge of Djoum
3 hours ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

if you're still looking to sell that bridge mate it might be worth using Mrs B as an intermediary

Haha. I like that. 

12 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

Probably, since we’re still trying to replace him. 

Bridge of Djoum
2 hours ago, Thumper said:

Ooh... you're hard.

Not really. Just so many people taking themselves and their opinions a bit too seriously. 

14 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

People on here that do definitely have a track record of knowing people in the club have said there were issues and that with the amount of support we had given him re his gambling there was some way he had behaved was like throwing it back in everyone’s faces.

Not random posters - people that have been on here a long time.

Ok ?

Cheers

33 minutes ago, benny said:

He came here on a free (I believe), scored 19 goals and we got a decent fee for him when he left. Also, was there not a clause in his contract saying he could leave after the first year if someone came in for him, and he felt it would be a good move for him? Therefore Hearts honoured the contract. Would he'd been better staying where he was? Possibly. Did he go for a larger pay-packet? Probably.

I'm not saying we should be trying to sign him again but if the option was there, then it's someone we realistically have to look at.

Bazzas right boot

Doubtful he'll be back. 

Couldn't wait to leave us for his boyhood heroes after we supported him through his personal issues. 

Fair doos to him, he got us a fee and got himself a pay rise, but very doubtful he'd be back. 

Looking From the outside in, I can't see guys like CL, Naismith even folk like Berra, Souttar, Smith etc welcoming him back. 

You'd have to think he'd upset the team dynamic quite a bit. 

If that's not an issue, then I would take him back, the quality and importance of his goals were quite impressive, even if his overall play could be very poor. 

If it is an issue, then he can rot on the Ibrox bench  while skinning them for £1/2 million a year, he's doing us a favour with that as well. 

With Halkett at us, likely Naismith, Walker maybe  back, with Lafferty added in, I'd be  concerned we'd have a stampede to rangers if they knock on the door! 

Edited by Olly Lee's left boot

2 minutes ago, Phil D. Corners said:

Would take the player, but not the man. 

I think that sums the Lafferty situation perfectly.

Even if he didn't get many assists he definitely got goals and often in big games.

Trouble is we don't know just how much he let the club down with his off field issues.

I liked the guy and never really took  the flute stuff seriously.

If there was some way we could get him back on affordable terms to us I would be delighted. It's up to the club and they shouldn't  be castigated if they decide it's to much of a risk to the welfare and morale of the rest of the playing staff.

1 hour ago, Enzo Chiefo said:

Would be a great signing but won't happen while Levein is here. He was signed by Cathro/MacPhee previously. Levein always talks about "uncomplicated" players, ones that "don't give me any trouble", players that toe the line and do what they're told, in other words. The problem is that many of the best players are those who are a bit of a loose cannon, who try something different on the park, who become cult heroes, who don't stick to rigid systems that stifle flair. Every team needs a couple of those types imo. A team full of mentors won't win you trophies. For example,  the great Rudi Skacel wouldn't have been anywhere near a Levein team imo.

No matter the thread topic you always turn it into anti-Levein. I feel sorry for you carrying such a deep-rooted grievance/hatred for anything/anyone. 

Pasquale for King
On 30/05/2019 at 23:08, Toggie88 said:

This is how Kickback was in the early days. Felt more like a chat/debate with mates in the pub than the mud slinging it is now, not just JKB though - all sense of cordial debate has disappeared. 

I think one of the major factors is that you can't tell tone. Comments, which can be meant as jovial or sarcasm can often be taken as offensive without it being intended. That and the ability to be anonymous means it quickly descends to the level we often see. 

Emojis are our friends ???

Lord Beni of Gorgie
9 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Can we stop the olly lee song if he comes back? 

Tearing teams apart apparently 

:cornette_dog:

Cruyff Turn
28 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

Can we stop the olly lee song if he comes back? 

Can we just sell Olly Lee? 

2 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Can we just sell Olly Lee? 

He care across the border, 
To join a bigger club. 
Big Craigy signed him for the famous, 
Then found out he was a dud. 
The boy is ******* lazy, 
We must be ******* crazy 
To think he’ll get a start 
When tearing teams apart 
Chorus 

I haven't a problem with Laff leaving for the team he supported and left for England. He played his best football when Naismith was playing and I guess that's one of those  partnerships that work.

If he was to return to Hearts I reckon he'd get a good welcome.

Inch Hearts

What will happen here is all the people saying they don’t want him back will forget him and Walkers past and their opinions on them both if he or they sign.  Then the people who want him back will slate them after a few games and the people who didn’t want them back will defend them to the hilt. 

Inch Hearts
5 minutes ago, mitch41 said:

I haven't a problem with Laff leaving for the team he supported and left for England. He played his best football when Naismith was playing and I guess that's one of those  partnerships that work.

If he was to return to Hearts I reckon he'd get a good welcome.

He should, he chose Hearts over Hibs, scored massive goals and got the club money.  Much better than anyone at the club also. 

1 minute ago, Inch Hearts said:

What will happen here is all the people saying they don’t want him back will forget him and Walkers past and their opinions on them both if he or they sign.  Then the people who want him back will slate them after a few games and the people who didn’t want them back will defend them to the hilt. 

???? ??

Just now, Inch Hearts said:

He should, he chose Hearts over Hibs, scored massive goals and got the club money.  Much better than anyone at the club also. 

Hmmmm , wouldn’t agree with that. Goals out of nothing - yes , turn up in big games - usually , teamwork - no , behind the scenes - nightmare and not a good role model. We have some better balanced players and more talented players and better role models. But its big picture , little picture i guess

Short term fixes just do not work. We need a pattern of play that players can fit into and we need to develop some of the attacking talent we have. A show pony whose real interests are elsewhere and generally plays for himself is not the answer. He did fine when he was with us, his goals tally a complete outlier compared to the rest of his career, then showed his true colours and we unexpectedly got money for him. Burnley and Hearts have probably gleaned the most out of Kyle Lafferty throughout his career, let's leave it like that. 

Edited by Jodami

11 minutes ago, Jodami said:

Short term fixes just do not work. We need a pattern of play that players can fit into and we need to develop some of the attacking talent we have. A show pony whose real interests are elsewhere and generally plays for himself is not the answer. He did fine when he was with us, his goals tally a complete outlier compared to the rest of his career, then showed his true colours and we unexpectedly got money for him. Burnley and Hearts have probably gleaned the most out of Kyle Lafferty throughout his career, let's leave it like that. 

There is no money I  Scottish football, all we can get is short term fixes, we are a stepping stone to the English championship

Enzo Chiefo
3 hours ago, soonbe110 said:

No matter the thread topic you always turn it into anti-Levein. I feel sorry for you carrying such a deep-rooted grievance/hatred for anything/anyone. 

Get over yourself with your paranoia.  If you think we can discuss the return of our talisman striker without mentioning the guy who makes pretty much every football decision at the club, then you are more deluded than I thought. I'm sure CL will approve of your unwavering loyalty though?

Maiden Gorgie

Decent player but do not want to see him in Maroon again. Think a lot of the current squad would feel the same

Part of me thinks about him being high maintenance, boo-****ing-hoo. Levein is likely on north of 100K a year. If Lafferty is still sharp enough to play for us then sign him and just ****ing deal with it. Thats why you get paid good money.

Stick him on a contract that penalises him for arseholery. Job done. 

Regarding the players feelings, I don't happen to love everyone I work with, but I can respect people who I don't necessarily get on with because they are good at what they do. In that same vein, this isn't the players decision. They're professionals, they'll get on with it. 

I still think isma is twice the player lafferty is. If only isma was born in Northern Ireland he'd have gotten far more backing from sections of the support. 

Still, I'd probably take lafferty back if he was on a sensible wage and had his head screwed on. 

24 minutes ago, communist said:

I still think isma is twice the player lafferty is. If only isma was born in Northern Ireland he'd have gotten far more backing from sections of the support.

?

24 minutes ago, communist said:

Still, I'd probably take lafferty back if he was on a sensible wage and had his head screwed on

I think we can be beyond certain that's never going to happen, so he can get tae.