• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Forever Hearts

• Robbo-Jambo

• Jammy T

• Cruyff Turn

People forgetting that if we take him back Rangers will expect us to write off the outstanding amount on his transfer fee. No idea what that is but likely to be a few hundred thousand. Money could be better spent elsewhere. 

MoncurMacdonaldMercer

would be a great boost to the hearts fans if we could get lafferty back

plus one or two others of his quality

MoncurMacdonaldMercer
8 hours ago, Bridge of Djoum said:

So what we are to take from this is the fact you believe everything you’re told. 

Mate, wanna buy a bridge?

if you're still looking to sell that bridge mate it might be worth using Mrs B as an intermediary

fabienleclerq
12 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

People forgetting that if we take him back Rangers will expect us to write off the outstanding amount on his transfer fee. No idea what that is but likely to be a few hundred thousand. Money could be better spent elsewhere. 

How's that work? Surely them realising him makes him a free agent and has no bearing on them paying us. 

A_A wehatethehibs
16 minutes ago, soonbe110 said:

I don’t see where better you could spend that money than on Kyle Lafferty. We could buy another Sean Clare or Craig Wighton? 

9 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

How's that work? Surely them realising him makes him a free agent and has no bearing on them paying us. 

They haven’t released him, they have told him he can find another club if he wants to. He is still contracted to them. 

6 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I don’t see where better you could spend that money than on Kyle Lafferty. We could buy another Sean Clare or Craig Wighton? 

I do but it’s all about opinions. 

Lafferty scores 12 league goals and made no assists.

Quite a few of those goals were long range strikes because he was unwilling to see any other option. He might have scored 12 but if you don’t think that looking up and finding another option might have les to just as many, if not more goals, you’re wrong. 

People are blinded by his 12 goals. Lost count of the number of times he’d drag one wide from 35 yards and then be apologising to his teammates. 

Would never claim that Lafferty didn’t do well for us, because we relied heavily on him in the season we had him. However, his 12 goals were more or less all we had that season, and I think we are better placed to build a good team that will outscore Lafferty now. In 17/18, Lafferty was there to score for the whole team. 

glynnlondon
7 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

Aye, because he’s the only striker on the planet that can score goals. ?‍♂️

The guy has no class whatsoever, not fit to wear the jersey. A bad apple. Wouldn’t want him near this club again. 

Tbf you could be forgiven for thinking so with the amount of shite we sign.

Mr Elwood P
1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

I said MORE than 3-5 goals 

3 is a PATHETIC goalscoring total for attacking players you need at least 3 or 4 guys who are getting close to double figures 10 goals 

https://uk.soccerway.com/players/kevin-de-bruyne/78532/

One of the best players on the planet, playing in one of best teams ever.  Two goals.

Forever Hearts
6 minutes ago, Zaba said:

Quite a few of those goals were long range strikes because he was unwilling to see any other option. He might have scored 12 but if you don’t think that looking up and finding another option might have les to just as many, if not more goals, you’re wrong. 

People are blinded by his 12 goals. Lost count of the number of times he’d drag one wide from 35 yards and then be apologising to his teammates. 

Would never claim that Lafferty didn’t do well for us, because we relied heavily on him in the season we had him. However, his 12 goals were more or less all we had that season, and I think we are better placed to build a good team that will outscore Lafferty now. In 17/18, Lafferty was there to score for the whole team. 

We're not going to get the finished article playing for Hearts. Every single player we sign will have weaknesses and Kyle Lafferty is no different. So he doesn't have many assists? Who cares when he's banging in 19 a season?

3 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

https://uk.soccerway.com/players/kevin-de-bruyne/78532/

One of the best players on the planet, playing in one of best teams ever.  Two goals.

The poster is talking about Hearts problems. Not a world class team full of great players and an individual who’s season was blighted by injury.  All the same, De Bruyne got playmaker of the season award.

glynnlondon
1 hour ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

League goals should have said - as that excludes goals against shite non league sides in the cups.

League stats:

Uche Ikpeazu 3 goals in 17 apps

Stephen Maclean 3 goals in 25 apps

Jake Mulraney 1 goal in 21 apps

Sean Clare 3 goals in 28 apps

Olly Lee 3 goals in 31 apps

Oliver Bozanic 3 goals in 25 apps 

Arnaud Djoum 3 goals in 32 apps

Calumn Morrison 1 goal in 25 apps

Aidan Keena 0 goals in 5 apps

David Vanacek 0 goals in 5 apps

Harry Cochrane 0 goals in 8 apps

Edwards 0 goals in 4 apps

All outscored by defensive midfielder Haring with 5

Thats all of our options for the final 3rd

I believe lafferty got 14 or 15 league goals

That is grim alright

upgotheheads
5 hours ago, Kiwidoug said:

Imo few if any other strikers in our orbit could have scored that.  It's the main reason I would be happy to seem him return.

Top quality at his best.  He will also know what treatment he will get from levein if he does  a vanacek.

If it was my call I would take him over Shankland any day of the week.

I'd be happy to see him back. he's a known quantity even if we know him to be a bit of a twat. However there's no doubt that he has the ability to score important goals in big games, even if he's a bit selfish. I think it was him that set up Harry Cochrane's goal in the 4-0 doing. 

The same goes for Skinny, both big game players.

I am maybe taking a too simplistic view but for me I am thinking if on the field we are likely to be a better and more successful and therefore more enjoyable to watch then absolutely we should go after him. I think he is a big game player which is hard to find, as the example against Celtic in the SC final while we done extremely well if we had him in the team we would have had a better chance in my opinion. I think that the big game mentality also runs off on others and could be beneficial to youngsters development.

That would be the positive side also aware that he has reportedly had off the field problems, and if true i guess you way up what if any impact it has on club and potential negative impact in the club and bad influence on youngster development. 

With regards the youngsters development you would hope that with Berra and Naismith also around the youngsters pick up their professionalism and lafferty arrogance would be a good combination. Top players often have a bit of devilment in them it’s about managing it.

on the contract side given his last season and if he is staying in Scotland then we would be in stronger position to negotiate at level we are comfortable with. 

If we had the opportunity to take him back, I'd do it in a heartbeat. 

We (should) know what we are getting. 

A guy who can score goals,

Experience.

Moral boost for the dressing room and support. 

A bit of fire on the pitch... 

The Pros far outweigh the Cons... 

19 minutes ago, Zaba said:

Add to that his known, and recurring, off field issues  and you build a good case for avoiding him. 

portobellojambo1

I do think it is strange when people say, for example, they wouldn't take Kyle Lafferty back because all he did was score goals for us, he wasn't involved in an awful lot of assists. They then compound the stupidity by saying when he was in positions to score he was greedy. The best goalscorers on the planet all have/had one thing in common, when they got in and around the penalty area they became greedy, that is how they racked up so many goals. When you look at it just on the basis that scoring goals is something we have struggled with then if the option was available to bring him back it would make 100% sense to do so. However, his problem is it is other aspects of his life, the baggage attached, which means there is no way he will be considered for a return to Tynecastle.

been here before
4 minutes ago, jumpship said:

If we had the opportunity to take him back, I'd do it in a heartbeat

Experience.

House!!! ?

EasternRossco
9 hours ago, Cruyff Turn said:

No thanks, he’s an absolute weapon.

I can't believe you are in the apparent minority for this just because he might (and I stress the word might) improve Hearts. Adam Johnson might improve Hearts but he's also a convicted sex offender. Kyle Lafferty took the piss out of our club and I for one will never welcome him back. 

The Internet
3 minutes ago, been here before said:

House!!! ?

We're crying out for someone like him. 

pharmaceutical01

If and it is a big if, we take him back....if he scores a couple of goals in the first couple of games next season, all his baggage will be forgotten! For me, I’d take home back

glynnlondon

I suppose the reason we're considering it (as fans at least ) is down to our poor recruitment record over several seasons.

I can understand the worry of another Vanacek type diddy.

Edited by glynnlondon

16 minutes ago, jumpship said:

If we had the opportunity to take him back, I'd do it in a heartbeat. 

Experience.

Yup

Mr Elwood P
24 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

The poster is talking about Hearts problems. Not a world class team full of great players and an individual who’s season was blighted by injury.  All the same, De Bruyne got playmaker of the season award.

Blighted by injuries you say? Definitely not relevant to our 2018/19 struggles then.

At the end of the day the management team know him, know what they would be getting if they took him back and knew how to manage and get the best out of him last time he was here. Make no mistake, if he goes to Motherwell he improves them

glynnlondon

We've struggled to sign quality up top for a fair while , often relying on pretty poor strikers.

What we have had is a good midfield that had goals in them.

No longer the case by some distance.

4 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Blighted by injuries you say? Definitely not relevant to our 2018/19 struggles then.

How many of our midfielders were injured for a long spell?

That’s not the point being made but you’ve done well to divert it to your defence of the players again. 

Mr Elwood P
2 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

How many of our midfielders were injured for a long spell?

That’s not the point being made but you’ve done well to divert it to your defence of the players again. 

Thought the discussion was the strike rate of our attacking players?  I was pointing out that one of the best attacking players on the planet had only scored 2 goals. Fair comment.

Naismith, Clare, Haring and Djoum were either injured for a prolonged spell or coming back from a prolonged spell out injured. Perhaps this affected their performance levels? Can add Morrison, Cochrane and Lee who were also injured during the campaign.

59 minutes ago, A_A wehatethehibs said:

Correct and probably highly likely to be the case under our current management.

id take Lafferty back in a heartbeat. I don’t give a toss what he’s like , we need his goals. 

4 minutes ago, Mr Elwood P said:

Thought the discussion was the strike rate of our attacking players?  I was pointing out that one of the best attacking players on the planet had only scored 2 goals. Fair comment.

Naismith, Clare, Haring and Djoum were either injured for a prolonged spell or coming back from a prolonged spell out injured. Perhaps this affected their performance levels? Can add Morrison, Cochrane and Lee who were also injured during the campaign.

Well, if you look at Man City most of their attacking players from midfield or wide(not even talking about their strikers) are circa 7, 8 goals, regular sub Sane got 10. 

Even David Silva got 8 and he’s not even seen as a goalgetter. 

It’s bizarre the conversation went this way anyway. We’re talking about what Hearts lack over a season and that’s regular goal threat from midfield and wide. We clearly lacked genuine threat from different areas. 42 league goals tells you that. 

1 hour ago, MoncurMacdonaldMercer said:

would be a great boost to the hearts fans if we could get lafferty back

plus one or two others of his quality

Would be a boost to the bigots for sure

Mr Elwood P
13 minutes ago, Debut 4 said:

Well, if you look at Man City most of their attacking players from midfield or wide(not even talking about their strikers) are circa 7, 8 goals, regular sub Sane got 10. 

Even David Silva got 8 and he’s not even seen as a goalgetter. 

It’s bizarre the conversation went this way anyway. We’re talking about what Hearts lack over a season and that’s regular goal threat from midfield and wide. We clearly lacked genuine threat from different areas. 42 league goals tells you that. 

No doubting we need more goals coming from every area of the park. My point was more what standard are we holding players to? If all the Manchester City midfield superstars are <10 goals, what do we expect from a Hearts player? Olly Lee managed 6 goals and 12 assists over the campaign yet is deemed as below average. Will Robbo, Skacel, Hartley & Cameron be the yardsticks that we measure players against forevermore?

Edited by Mr Elwood P

Cruyff Turn
48 minutes ago, EasternRossco said:

I can't believe you are in the apparent minority for this just because he might (and I stress the word might) improve Hearts. Adam Johnson might improve Hearts but he's also a convicted sex offender. Kyle Lafferty took the piss out of our club and I for one will never welcome him back. 

Correct. He’s an absolute belter. 

Cruyff Turn
3 hours ago, Forever Hearts said:

Well we seem to find it hard to get one of these easy to come by strikers who can score 19 a season. Could you maybe tell CL where to find one? 

As for his personality, I couldn't care less as long as he scores goals for Hearts. 

Lafferty 20 goals in 48 games

Naismith 18 goals in 43 games

I’m sure we can find someone else that will bang in a few goals next season. ??

It’s not beyond the realms of possibility that a player would meet Ann - I think a lot of new players have said that they met Ann as part of the signing process and were impressed by her.

Likewise I think Ann likes to meet the players if she can to try and get the measure of them.

Ann also was possibly a part of being particularly helpful with Lafferty with his issues when he was with us.

So in theory it’s possible Lafferty met with Budge and not Levein (But Levein would have known about it)

I still can’t help feel that lafferty burnt too many bridges within the club....

Edited by Jammy T

50 minutes ago, Jamhammer said:

At the end of the day the management team know him, know what they would be getting if they took him back and knew how to manage and get the best out of him last time he was here. Make no mistake, if he goes to Motherwell he improves them

Spot on ?

7 minutes ago, Jammy T said:

It’s not beyond the realms of possibility that a player would meet Ann - I think a lot of new players have said that they met Ann as part of the signing process and were impressed by her.

Likewise I think Ann likes to meet the players if she can to try and get the measure of them.

Ann also was possibly a part of being particularly helpful with Lafferty with his issues when he was with us.

So in theory it’s possible Lafferty met with Budge and not Levein (But Levein would have known about it)

I still can’t help feel that lafferty burnt too many bridges within the club....

I’m a bit meh about him coming back or not TBH and I’m Not looking for a pagger but you said he burnt bridges at the club. Who with?

He did make us a decent wedge. 

1 hour ago, portobellojambo1 said:

I do think it is strange when people say, for example, they wouldn't take Kyle Lafferty back because all he did was score goals for us, he wasn't involved in an awful lot of assists. They then compound the stupidity by saying when he was in positions to score he was greedy. The best goalscorers on the planet all have/had one thing in common, when they got in and around the penalty area they became greedy, that is how they racked up so many goals. When you look at it just on the basis that scoring goals is something we have struggled with then if the option was available to bring him back it would make 100% sense to do so. However, his problem is it is other aspects of his life, the baggage attached, which means there is no way he will be considered for a return to Tynecastle.

So should we bring back Juanma?

Geoff Kilpatrick
4 minutes ago, Zaba said:

Who do you think would be a better partner for Uche?

I wouldn't bring back either, personally, but only for that reason.

57 minutes ago, XB52 said:

Would be a boost to the bigots for sure

Oh please go and do one! 

Tired claptrap from virtue signaling snowflakes.

He is a proven goalscorer and is exactly what we need 

portobellojambo1
2 minutes ago, Zaba said:

I believe he is playing in Japan at the moment and I'm not sure if his club have said he is free to find another club. I'm also not sure of the relevance of him within the context of a discussion about Kyle Lafferty. So within those confines I'm not in a position to answer your question.

Just now, Geoff Kilpatrick said:

Who do you think would be a better partner for Uche?

I wouldn't bring back either, personally, but only for that reason.

Bring back suso, miko , Chesney, driver, Nicholson, Patterson, ( * insert a former winger here) then lol 

Just now, portobellojambo1 said:

I believe he is playing in Japan at the moment and I'm not sure if his club have said he is free to find another club. I'm also not sure of the relevance of him within the context of a discussion about Kyle Lafferty. So within those confines I'm not in a position to answer your question.

It’s relevant because you said that someone who has proven capable of scoring 12 league goals for us should be looked at, regardless of what else they bring to the table.

Obviously Juanma won’t be coming back but that is such a blinkered view of how football works. If the options are Lafferty scoring 12 and creating nothing for anyone else, or 3 or 4 players chipping in with 7-8 goals and creating a few for the rest of the team, I know which route I’d go down. 

Lafferty plays for Lafferty. Never mind the rest.

If we’re building something here I’d rather he wasn’t a part of it.