Top Posters In This Topic

• IveSeenTheLight

• Beast Boy

• sadj

• Mikey1874

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Forever Hearts said:

For years Aberdeen were guilty of using the old Celtic trick of giving a rounded off attendance to the press. 

Aberdeen v St Mirren, attendance 10,000

Aberdeen v Hearts, attendance 12,000

Aberdeen v Celtic, attendance 18,000

It was always rounded up to the next thousand.  

More accurate.

12,157 = 13,000

6 minutes ago, colinmaroon said:

More accurate.

12,157 = 13,000

Or even more accurately these days. 

10,599 =  9999😉

• 1 month later...
jamboinglasgow

I see it was Aberdeens AGM tonight. And they had some curious information about their new stadium.

They dont expect to be in any new stadium before 2025/26 season, and they are looking at capacity of between 16,000-17,000. They say to build a 20,000 seater stadium would add another £20m to the bill.

It was put to Cormack, who mentioned earlier in the AGM that they are aiming for 15,000 season ticket holders, how that would work when capacity is 16,000. He says 30 per cent of season ticket holders do not turn up on any given matchday and that creates enough of a buffer for non season-ticket holders, walk-up fans and away supporters.

They also say that the original plan of a stadium at Kingsford is on the table as a plan B as they have planning permission.

Seems very curious that they are happy to limit the capacity so much, sure that would hit a lot of Aberdeen fans pride as they go from having the 4th biggest football stadium in the country (and the biggest club stadium outside the old firm) to the 7th biggest. But guess looking at their attendences over the last 10 years its not a problem having a smaller stadium.

7 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

I see it was Aberdeens AGM tonight. And they had some curious information about their new stadium.

They dont expect to be in any new stadium before 2025/26 season, and they are looking at capacity of between 16,000-17,000. They say to build a 20,000 seater stadium would add another £20m to the bill.

It was put to Cormack, who mentioned earlier in the AGM that they are aiming for 15,000 season ticket holders, how that would work when capacity is 16,000. He says 30 per cent of season ticket holders do not turn up on any given matchday and that creates enough of a buffer for non season-ticket holders, walk-up fans and away supporters.

They also say that the original plan of a stadium at Kingsford is on the table as a plan B as they have planning permission.

Seems very curious that they are happy to limit the capacity so much, sure that would hit a lot of Aberdeen fans pride as they go from having the 4th biggest football stadium in the country (and the biggest club stadium outside the old firm) to the 7th biggest. But guess looking at their attendences over the last 10 years its not a problem having a smaller stadium.

How will they sell the assumed missing 30% ( don’t believe that anyway )? 🤪

Carl Fredrickson

Seems a very small capacity for a team with any kind of ambition.  Especially when it is a one team city.

Will the season ticker be entry to a stand rather than reserve a specific seat? 30% not attending seems a lot. That is a heck of a lot of offshore workers.....

jamboinglasgow
17 minutes ago, davemclaren said:

How will they sell the assumed missing 30% ( don’t believe that anyway )? 🤪

Its a very bizarre statement, feels like Cormack has just realised he has been caught out and just saying what first comes to his mind regardless if it can happen or not.

Nobody ask him why he's deliberately losing money by restricting Pittodrie to under 10k? Still ****ing smells dodgy to me. 

2 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

‘kin hell

Tinpot FC 😂😂😂😂

2 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Was Cormack pished at the AGM? How could they re-sell seats they’ve already sold? And how would they know who’s not turning up? Do season ticket holders at Aberdeen get allocated any old seat? None of it makes any sense.

Bazzas right boot
14 minutes ago, S Form said:

Was Cormack pished at the AGM? How could they re-sell seats they’ve already sold? And how would they know who’s not turning up? Do season ticket holders at Aberdeen get allocated any old seat? None of it makes any sense.

😂😂

Bazzas right boot
3 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Kind of thing Trump would come out with. 

Had a look at the Aberdeen forum to see if they had any more info on the AGM. Only 24 posts on their AGM thread and even those are very indifferent to the proposed reduced capacity. Seems to be major apathy up there.

jamboinglasgow
29 minutes ago, S Form said:

The only thing I can think is that Aberdeen would ask season ticket holders who aren't attending the match to allow their seat to be used to sell a new ticket for, but doubt many would do that, especially if they go with a few other people.

22 minutes ago, jamboinglasgow said:

The only thing I can think is that Aberdeen would ask season ticket holders who aren't attending the match to allow their seat to be used to sell a new ticket for, but doubt many would do that, especially if they go with a few other people.

Makes you think, they could theoretically sell 16k season tickets, resell 5k of those for a big game, and have a tickets sold crowd of 21k in a 17k stadium

26 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Makes you think, they could theoretically sell 16k season tickets, resell 5k of those for a big game, and have a tickets sold crowd of 21k in a 17k stadium

😆That sounds very h1b5!!!

:4_1_72:

Two stars,

21st Century dungheap,

"3rd biggest club in the country" (they're not even the 4th)

Aberdeen FC.

Edited by martoon

Cormack is comedy gold :rofl:

between him and Ron Gordon they are providing loads of entertainment that’s for sure with more to come.  
tinpot doesn’t cover it. Great viewing. St Johnstones his model I kid you not. 

Edited by 1971fozzy

10 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

Its a very bizarre statement, feels like Cormack has just realised he has been caught out and just saying what first comes to his mind regardless if it can happen or not.

Sounds like a devotee of Boris Johnson…

12 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

Anyone know why they appear to have ruled-out a re-vamp of Pittodrie?

I assume their Main Stand is about to fall down. Don’t know why they don’t just mothball it and work with the three remaining stands, judging by their crowds. 

27 minutes ago, PortyBeach said:

Anyone know why they appear to have ruled-out a re-vamp of Pittodrie?

They don't have the space needed to build a new Main Stand or Merkland Road end. Stewart Milne is going to buy the land Pittodrie stands on.

I think they'll be at Pittodrie for a while. It looks like the city council have realised having the team playing in the city is better for the local economy than the team playing outside the city, so they look like helping now.

Thanks for the replies.

I thought space must be a factor in terms of the existing footprint but I wondered if some realignment of the stadium was a possibility?

They may well have considered this but ruled it out on cost grounds.

As Nookie says, the main stand is in a bit of a state.

36 minutes ago, blairdin said:

They don't have the space needed to build a new Main Stand or Merkland Road end. Stewart Milne is going to buy the land Pittodrie stands on.

I think they'll be at Pittodrie for a while. It looks like the city council have realised having the team playing in the city is better for the local economy than the team playing outside the city, so they look like helping now.

The position was a redeveloped Pittodrie maximum capacity could be 'only' 12,000. 

So basically spending £millions for an extra 3,000 seats. 

Bazzas right boot
8 hours ago, Smithee said:

You'd think there would be some incentive to resell, even  £10.

Hard times for the Dandy Dons. Flailing around aimlessly. Unbalanced squad, unproven manager, stadium falling to pieces, apathetic fanbase.

Makes you realise just how good things are for us right now!

2 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Hard times for the Dandy Dons. Flailing around aimlessly. Unbalanced squad, unproven manager, stadium falling to pieces, apathetic fanbase.

Makes you realise just how good things are for us right now!

Sadly, there were occasions in the past where “all of the above” applied to us.
No doubt they experienced severe “Schadenfreude” at our expense.

I hope they reflect on that now. 😊

Be interesting to see ISTL's thoughts, seeing how they have again resurfaced as Dandies have won a few games, to pass comment again...one part of me thinks fair play, they are accepting of not being able to drum up interest in their club re fans attending their games in numbers, but PR wise, one helluva admission re lack of long term drive to address such apathy in the club from their fans...

10 hours ago, jamboinglasgow said:

They could do that, but in order to have a realistic chance of reselling or shifting the seats on, they'd need to know something like a week before the match, if not more, if you're planning not to attend. 

Don't know about you, but as a season ticket holder, I like that if plans change last minute (which they often do), I can always pop along to the football that I wasn't originally able to do.  It would be really annoying if I had given my seat up 2 weeks before because they didn't put enough seats in the stadium in the first place. 

Edit - it's fine for one or two people returning seats, I know plenty of people here do it if they can't attend, but to base your entire model on it for everyone is mental. It would never work, and all it takes is one breakdown somewhere in the system, and you have thousands of unhappy people - and that's before they've actually had to endure watching an Aberdeen match. 

Edited by tian447

2 hours ago, blairdin said:

image.png.e2df576b9c0c32b60bc59e8cb073a8f1.png

They can surely rebuild 3 sides on the current footprint though. If that holds 22k then a revamped 20k is surely feasible.

8 minutes ago, tian447 said:

They could do that, but in order to have a realistic chance of reselling or shifting the seats on, they'd need to know something like a week before the match, if not more, if you're planning not to attend. 

Don't know about you, but as a season ticket holder, I like that if plans change last minute (which they often do), I can always pop along to the football that I wasn't originally able to do.  It would be really annoying if I had given my seat up 2 weeks before because they didn't put enough seats in the stadium in the first place. 

Edit - it's fine for one or two people returning seats, I know plenty of people here do it if they can't attend, but to base your entire model on it for everyone is mental. It would never work, and all it takes is one breakdown somewhere in the system, and you have thousands of unhappy people - and that's before they've actually had to endure watching an Aberdeen match. 

That’s what I was thinking. Plus, consider the person buying a walk-up - there’s every chance they’d have to take a single seat and not have the option of buying two or three together so that they could attend with friends/family. The ‘model’ as outlined by Cormack is completely unworkable if the plan is to have 15,000 season ticket holders. However, if you’re actual expectation is to sell around 8,000 season tickets, then a 16,000 capacity stadium is absolutely fine 🤔

10 minutes ago, S Form said:

That’s what I was thinking. Plus, consider the person buying a walk-up - there’s every chance they’d have to take a single seat and not have the option of buying two or three together so that they could attend with friends/family. The ‘model’ as outlined by Cormack is completely unworkable if the plan is to have 15,000 season ticket holders. However, if you’re actual expectation is to sell around 8,000 season tickets, then a 16,000 capacity stadium is absolutely fine 🤔

For me, the whole stadium thing sends a clear signal to everyone that the club has finally accepted the glory days are over and they are never ever coming back. They've clung on to the big club from the 80s tag for too long.

Edited by GinRummy

36 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

image.png.e2df576b9c0c32b60bc59e8cb073a8f1.png

They can surely rebuild 3 sides on the current footprint though. If that holds 22k then a revamped 20k is surely feasible.

Which three sides are you rebuilding on? Pretty hemmed in at Pittodrie St and Merkland Lane, while the Dick Donald stand is already massive.

Edited by Darren

IveSeenTheLight
3 hours ago, GinRummy said:

@IveSeenTheLight defend Cormack again please. You done a poor job the last time, trying to justify him limiting the attendance and putting his own petty politics before your club so try again.

Why when you are so poor at comprehension? ;)

1 minute ago, Darren said:

Which three sides are you rebuilding on? Pretty hemmed in at Pittodrie St and Merkland Lane, while the Dick Donald stand is already massive.

I mean rebuild on the current footprint, like we did over the last 20 years.

IveSeenTheLight
1 hour ago, GavK1012 said:

Be interesting to see ISTL's thoughts, seeing how they have again resurfaced as Dandies have won a few games, to pass comment again...one part of me thinks fair play, they are accepting of not being able to drum up interest in their club re fans attending their games in numbers, but PR wise, one helluva admission re lack of long term drive to address such apathy in the club from their fans...

I never hide, I'm pretty always in the background (unless off on holiday) and comment when related

2 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

Aberdeen have said it's cheaper to build a new stadium. And a new stadium can be higher capacity.

But I'm not sure that they have ever shared the evidence behind that. 

Here's an example of what they have said.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stewart-milne-explains-aberdeen-must-21190673.amp

IveSeenTheLight
6 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Aberdeen have said it's cheaper to build a new stadium. And a new stadium can be higher capacity.

But I'm not sure that they have ever shared the evidence behind that. 

Here's an example of what they have said.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/stewart-milne-explains-aberdeen-must-21190673.amp

In simplest terms, the understanding is that it costs more to demolish and rebuild, rather to build new elsewhere and recoup some from selling the land at Pittodrie

17 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

I think there's now flats behind the "away" stand, which further complicates things.

Otherwise I'd have suggested just building a new main stand there and having two smaller stands at Pittordrie St/Merkland Lane.

The Old Tolbooth

I actually think it makes sense to build a slightly smaller stadium, because a stadium that feels like there's more folk in it rather than less than half empty every week will generate a better atmosphere, and they've proved for years now that they really don't need a stadium of 20k plus any more as I can count on one hand the amount of times they've filled it in the last 20 years. 

Look at Easter Road? It holds a few hundred more than Tynecastle, and yet there's been around half of their capacity rattling around in there all season with zero atmosphere and poor results, Pittodrie has become an older version of that, it's soulless and desperate these days.