Aberdeen's new stadium...

Buffalo Bill

Lord Beni of Gorgie

Going to piss off the cricketers and baseball players, plus numerous amateur teams that have used that bit of ground forever and a day. on the plus side, my slices off the range might rattle a few windows

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IveSeenTheLight

• Beast Boy

• sadj

• Mikey1874

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, allystrachan said:

Everyone being negative to this is the same as what we received when upgrading Tyne. I’m glad to see other clubs investing in modernising stadium & facilities, it can only be good for Scottish football. (Unless it causes them to go bust)

Aberdeen wanted fans to wait an hour to get out of the car park after game and to wait around the same time to get a bus into town. 

I suppose they can say that they "listened to the fans". 

53 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

"Sir Alex" will cut the ribbon at the official opening ceremony from his wheelchair reeking of pish. The 98 year old legend was quoted as saying "where am I" to his carer who told him to "behave, it's almost time for your lunch".

😄

28 minutes ago, Nookie Bear said:

FTFY

good luck aberdeen on your new stadium plans, just make sure that I can see up the line. the more upgraded and new stadiums the better. 

38 minutes ago, allystrachan said:

Everyone being negative to this is the same as what we received when upgrading Tyne. I’m glad to see other clubs investing in modernising stadium & facilities, it can only be good for Scottish football. (Unless it causes them to go bust)

You're not wrong here.  If more Scottish teams were to start being able to afford these kind of projects, it's a sign that things are going in the right direction.  New stadiums also provide venues for international tournaments, even if it is limited to the smaller ones, which would be good for Scotland as a whole.

However, **** Aberdeen.  I still think this is a smoke and mirrors approach, and I still don't think this is ever going to happen.  We'll get another 18 months down the line, and the £50 Million new stadium will turn into a much cheaper re-development of Pittodrie, stating that they have listened to the fans, and that it "doesn't seem right for Aberdeen FC to leave their historic home".

• 2 months later...
King Of The Cat Cafe

I noticed yesterday in the pre-match interviews one of the grandstand roofs looked to be covered in some kind of green growth.

The one beside it as pristine so, nul points to the camera operator for not looking at the background in setting up.

I was hoping this thread had been nudged because someone had discovered their Stadium safety certificate was the reason for their 10K or less attendance limit and not covid.

Looking at the state of Pittodrie, it's not that fanciful. 

kingantti1874

😂 aye right.  How are they going to finance that? The last desperate throws of a city on the fast track back to becoming a fishing town.. 

Aberdeen would be better looking at the Toni Macaroni for inspiration .. they don’t need more than 10k 

9 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

😂 aye right.  How are they going to finance that? The last desperate throws of a city on the fast track back to becoming a fishing town.. 

Aberdeen would be better looking at the Toni Macaroni for inspiration .. they don’t need more than 10k 

Ouch. 😄

Lord Beni of Gorgie
4 minutes ago, kingantti1874 said:

I've been lucky to live my life in this city, not wealthy, but pretty comfortable always even from humble origins. However, spent the last 2 Sunday mornings in the city on appointments, its almost a tragedy how far its fallen already. Greta Thunberg is not helping Aberdeen thats for sure :lol:

Wind power, though good for Aberdeen, won't replace what it has had for 40 years now. Badly need the development mentioned above for the city, let alone the football team, Aberdeen heading towards being the new Dundee, if it isn't already. 

Needs a kick start and some variation in its industry. No fishing in Aberdeen though mate, hasnt been for a long long time :) Dont even have that. 

Ground sharing with Cove might be an option soon!

kingantti1874
15 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

I've been lucky to live my life in this city, not wealthy, but pretty comfortable always even from humble origins. However, spent the last 2 Sunday mornings in the city on appointments, its almost a tragedy how far its fallen already. Greta Thunberg is not helping Aberdeen thats for sure :lol:

Wind power, though good for Aberdeen, won't replace what it has had for 40 years now. Badly need the development mentioned above for the city, let alone the football team, Aberdeen heading towards being the new Dundee, if it isn't already. 

Needs a kick start and some variation in its industry. No fishing in Aberdeen though mate, hasnt been for a long long time :) Dont even have that. 

Ground sharing with Cove might be an option soon!

😂 please don’t take offence mate - was just a light hearted quip.    

There is a degree of truth in what I say though, as I city I think Aberdeen will struggle to replace what they’ve had - I have some family up there and I think the decline is clear .. and I think those problems are already impacting the football club..

i mean, they’ve been as good as they can hope to be over the last decade and they sell less than 10k season tickets? Despite initiatives to draw in crowds / give out free tickets.

they are basically Dundee with a wealthy fan, their turnover has been good for a number of years primarily driven by relative on field success but as soon as the standards fall they will see a significant decline in income and further decline attendances

jambo-in-furness

As much as I dislike the sheep and their delusions of grandeur,

they carry a very decent away support,  and I for one wouldn’t like to see their decline,

we need as many clubs (outside of the Uglies) as we can to make Scottish football a better spectacle.

9 minutes ago, jambo-in-furness said:

they carry a very decent away support,  and I for one wouldn’t like to see their decline,

we need as many clubs (outside of the Uglies) as we can to make Scottish football a better spectacle.

They will be fine long term as they have quite wealthy investors and a strong core support.

Right now though it's a bit if a shambles as the stadium plans have left them in limbo for too long and bizarre decisions like limiting crowds to under 10k aren't helping this season.

33 minutes ago, jambo-in-furness said:

My head says this ^^

27 minutes ago, Gizmo said:

Hope it bankrupts them. 

My heart says this ^^

21 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

They could buy 2 flatpack cheapies like the Tony Macaroni and pile them on top of each other, probably cheaper than a bespoke design. 

Jambo_jim2001
26 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Or 300 herd of cattle,700 sheep on auction day.good to see they are investing in the future though.

1 hour ago, Hungry hippo said:

They will be fine long term as they have quite wealthy investors and a strong core support.

Right now though it's a bit if a shambles as the stadium plans have left them in limbo for too long and bizarre decisions like limiting crowds to under 10k aren't helping this season.

A strong core support? 

On 19/08/2021 at 13:44, All roads lead to Gorgie said:

Building a stadium even closer to a storm lashed sea seems a good idea!

3 hours ago, Chuck Berry said:

Can't wait to visit, shall we say 2050?

By 2050 the sea will be lapping at the door.

1 minute ago, upgotheheads said:

By 2050 the sea will be lapping at the door.

Good point. We'll get a chance to tell them when they consult on the plans. 

Edited by Mikey1874

45 minutes ago, sadj said:

A strong core support? 

I would say so. It's the non diehards that just aren't turning up at all at the moment.

With the exception of the Old Firm and Hearts they have more fans than other Scottish teams. They just need to give them something attractive to watch to boost attendances and Pittodrie being horrible doesn't help IMO.

1 minute ago, Hungry hippo said:

I would say so. It's the non diehards that just aren't turning up at all at the moment.

With the exception of the Old Firm and Hearts they have more fans than other Scottish teams. They just need to give them something attractive to watch to boost attendances and Pittodrie being horrible doesn't help IMO.

Going by their attendances for Covid checks they have up 5,000 season ticket holders who don't go to games. Something impressive about that apart from the team not being good enough to watch. 

3 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

Im not so sure its a strong core support. I think crowds would drop dramatically if they continued to slide down the league. 

2 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Going by their attendances for Covid checks they have up 5,000 season ticket holders who don't go to games. Something impressive about that apart from the team not being good enough to watch. 

You need to factor in how many of those work away or don’t live near Aberdeen. It sounds impressive from the outside though. 

jambo-in-furness
55 minutes ago, Hungry hippo said:

Ha ha,  nice one,  that’ll wind up the Hobos.

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, Hungry hippo said:

I think their home fanbase is a myth.  They’ve been consistently 2nd or 3rd for nearly a decade. What exactly do they need to do for this mythical support to appear.. they do have a decent away following due to 80’s success and presumably people leaving Aberdeen to work in the central belt. 

dont think they have anywhere near the support that we do.  and probably smaller than hibs these days as well 

Edited by kingantti1874

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, Mikey1874 said:

last official ST sales they published was 8600.  I believe (though not 100% ) This include their multi match package rather than full ST.  I believe this as they included it in the numbers last year

Lord Beni of Gorgie
4 hours ago, kingantti1874 said:

😂 please don’t take offence mate - was just a light hearted quip.    

There is a degree of truth in what I say though, as I city I think Aberdeen will struggle to replace what they’ve had - I have some family up there and I think the decline is clear .. and I think those problems are already impacting the football club..

i mean, they’ve been as good as they can hope to be over the last decade and they sell less than 10k season tickets? Despite initiatives to draw in crowds / give out free tickets.

they are basically Dundee with a wealthy fan, their turnover has been good for a number of years primarily driven by relative on field success but as soon as the standards fall they will see a significant decline in income and further decline attendances

None taken :)

Going to be a challenge for the City but there are wealthy people still who will help....if allowed. The city centre that is rather than the football club 

kingantti1874
1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

Going to be a challenge for the City but there are wealthy people still who will help....if allowed. The city centre that is rather than the football club 

hope so

1 hour ago, Sir Gio said:

A Sir Ian Wood vanity project?

Union Terrace Gardens was a mess when I was up earlier in the year – what have they eventually decided to do with it?

The parabolic roof on the rendering looks kind of silly but I guess it probably would direct wind over top of the stadium, making the inside a bit less miserable on windy days.

The plan out at the bypass never made the least bit of sense to me, particularly given how much vacant land they had sitting next to the shoreline. This seems a much more sensible place.

15 minutes ago, Led Tasso said:

The parabolic roof on the rendering looks kind of silly but I guess it probably would direct wind over top of the stadium, making the inside a bit less miserable on windy days.

The plan out at the bypass never made the least bit of sense to me, particularly given how much vacant land they had sitting next to the shoreline. This seems a much more sensible place.

The land that Milne owned n sold to them out by the bypass? 

Lord Beni of Gorgie
40 minutes ago, Darren said:

A Sir Ian Wood vanity project?

Union Terrace Gardens was a mess when I was up earlier in the year – what have they eventually decided to do with it?

Building's are up that look like observatories overlooking the gardens. Wood offered years ago but the feeling was always it would come with conditions. 

Believe it or not Aberdeen was modelled on Edinburgh with square's and gardens in the centre.  No ****er remembering to put the castle in

:(

They probably need a stadium 15,000 max.

even then ?  Used to be an attractive fixture back in the late 80’s , early 90’s but now - meh. They are truly awful to watch. Like Hibs are finding out now.

they have a sad home support in all honesty

Edited by 1971fozzy

Rudi5kaceldream1ng
52 minutes ago, Sir Gio said:

Building's are up that look like observatories overlooking the gardens. Wood offered years ago but the feeling was always it would come with conditions. 

Believe it or not Aberdeen was modelled on Edinburgh with square's and gardens in the centre.  No ****er remembering to put the castle in

:(

Merely fools gold. 

4 hours ago, 1971fozzy said:

They probably need a stadium 15,000 max.

even then ?  Used to be an attractive fixture back in the late 80’s , early 90’s but now - meh. They are truly awful to watch. Like Hibs are finding out now.

they have a sad home support in all honesty

Never going to happen never 

Bazzas right boot
20 hours ago, Mikey1874 said:

Quite common, I know two guys that have season tickets, one lives in Leeds and hasn't been to a game this season, but he renews every year. 

Other guy works away, both work in oil. 

20 hours ago, sadj said:

Im not so sure its a strong core support. I think crowds would drop dramatically if they continued to slide down the league. 

Relative to Scottish football it probably still is. 

They'll always, be top 5

Some interesting points re Stadium most fans prefer stadiums that are near pubs and public transport rather than situated in the middle of nowhere. Also who is the 4th biggest club in Scotland Hibs or Aberdeen?

Forever Hearts
27 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

Some interesting points re Stadium most fans prefer stadiums that are near pubs and public transport rather than situated in the middle of nowhere. Also who is the 4th biggest club in Scotland Hibs or Aberdeen?

Depends what you use on judging it. On crowds alone, I'd say a strong Hibs would get bigger home attendances than a strong Aberdeen.  

kingantti1874
32 minutes ago, EIEIO said:

aberdeen have been as strong as they will ever be over the last 10 years and their gates have been poor.

i

4 minutes ago, Forever Hearts said:

Depends what you use on judging it. On crowds alone, I'd say a strong Hibs would get bigger home attendances than a strong Aberdeen.  

Aberdeen have tended to get big crowds for 3 or 4 games a season. Up to 20,000. 

Though that seems to have stopped happening. 

Forever Hearts
5 minutes ago, Mikey1874 said:

Aberdeen have tended to get big crowds for 3 or 4 games a season. Up to 20,000. 

Though that seems to have stopped happening. 

For years Aberdeen were guilty of using the old Celtic trick of giving a rounded off attendance to the press. 

Aberdeen v St Mirren, attendance 10,000

Aberdeen v Hearts, attendance 12,000

Aberdeen v Celtic, attendance 18,000

It was always rounded up to the nearest thousand.  

1 hour ago, Forever Hearts said:

Think I'd probably base it on crowds, over decades rather than a single season.

Ronald Villiers
On 08/11/2021 at 15:58, kingantti1874 said:

I think their home fanbase is a myth.  They’ve been consistently 2nd or 3rd for nearly a decade. What exactly do they need to do for this mythical support to appear.. they do have a decent away following due to 80’s success and presumably people leaving Aberdeen to work in the central belt. 

dont think they have anywhere near the support that we do.  and probably smaller than hibs these days as well 

There's a fair few in the Central Belt that support Aberdeen due to them doing well in the early 80's.  I know a few and they're a strange bunch.  This is the crowd that make up a large chunk of their away support.