Official Formula 1 2011 Uber Thread

Guest juvehearts

Rain makes F1 more enjoyable imo, that's the first race where I've watched most of it in ages

Great finish

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes mate, I think they are trying too hard, overthinking it to be honest, they made a mess of Monaco last week trying to do just one run and got knocked out, unlike ferrari and rbr they are also trying to equally support both drivers when in actual fact they should be supporting Lewis, button is a nice guy but got lucky at brawn but he isn't at the same level as Lewis, Alonso and vetted...

If mclaren want to win they need to start focusing in the needs of 1 driver

If anything was to suggest you have it the wrong way around, it is today.

JamboRossi79

Will he get a penalty for punting off alonso?

Still to be investigated...

Will be interesting to see what the result is of the investigation, touch and go me thinks.

kingantti1874

If anything was to suggest you have it the wrong way around, it is today.

Not really... Fantastic drive from button but he's is nowhere near as quick as Hamilton. Hamilton needs to learn patience tho-saying that JB has pretty much admitted liability for drivIng him into the wall... Great race, great result, glad to see vettel crack...

went banzai and has stopped.

:vrface:

What happened? From 14th he made up some amount of time.

He was way back and suddenly was in 11th and catching Barrichello. Then Barrichello is past Buemi and Di Resta out. Did he have another optimistic lunge and make a mess of it?

Brilliant race though. :thumbsup:

Bert Le Clos

What were people saying about McLaren getting it wrong? :thumbsup:

I think that's giving them a bit much credit. They definitely had luck on their side today.

Vettel would have been out of sight if not for the all the safety cars. Not taking anything away from Button by Vettel really threw that one away. He was too conservative with 15 laps to go and paid the price.

Not really... Fantastic drive from button but he's is nowhere near as quick as Hamilton. Hamilton needs to learn patience tho-saying that JB has pretty much admitted liability for drivIng him into the wall... Great race, great result, glad to see vettel crack...

I missed where he said that? He said he didn't see him. That's not admitting liability. He was moving to the racing line, Hamilton must have known the visibility was terrible and that's where Button was heading. If Hamilton has the pace he should have been going inside.

Hamilton needs to finish races, most of the could go that fast if they were happy to plant themselves into walls every few races.

I'm an on/off F1 fan but I am right into it this season, think the rule changes have helped.

My tuppence worth, before the race Button expressed that he thought a degree of caution would be the order of the day. Hamilton looked a bit desperate trying to make passes at inappropriate times, but he is exciting to watch.

Can someone clarify how activating DRS works. I am aware the drivers have a button but does this in itself activate it? i.e a fully manual system. I ask for two reasons.

1. Massa got 'told off' over team radio for deploying it too early, and as I understand it, the flap did not open until he pressed the button again. Is it programmed to only activate within the activation zones?

2. Button on lap 68 or 69 seemed to be, to the naked eye, outside the 1 second zone but his flap opened. At the start / finish line he was 0.9s behind Vettel. I would expect the margin to be smaller given the advantage DRS seemed to provide on this track.

Guest juvehearts

well well well

a 4hr race with a maclaren driver coming out on top

tell you what tho, one of the best races ive seen this season & monaco last week would have been 2nd possibly pipped canada but someone had to go into the wall lol

but what a spectical for morotsport.

pleasing

juve

I'm an on/off F1 fan but I am right into it this season, think the rule changes have helped.

My tuppence worth, before the race Button expressed that he thought a degree of caution would be the order of the day. Hamilton looked a bit desperate trying to make passes at inappropriate times, but he is exciting to watch.

Can someone clarify how activating DRS works. I am aware the drivers have a button but does this in itself activate it? i.e a fully manual system. I ask for two reasons.

1. Massa got 'told off' over team radio for deploying it too early, and as I understand it, the flap did not open until he pressed the button again. Is it programmed to only activate within the activation zones?

2. Button on lap 68 or 69 seemed to be, to the naked eye, outside the 1 second zone but his flap opened. At the start / finish line he was 0.9s behind Vettel. I would expect the margin to be smaller given the advantage DRS seemed to provide on this track.

re the DRS, they said that the driver can only activate it once they have passed the DRS activation line, and they cant push it early to make sure it opens right on the line(which massa wa doing)

re button being 0.9 s behind vettel, vettel probably got better drive off (and through) the last chicane as it is accepted that the red bull is quicker through corners (even though webber was struggling for drive off of some corners)

Two points.

1. DRS is a bit of a joke and makes overtaking way too easy if you get to within a second of the car in front. It is like video games back in the day when you had a boost button on the handset. To me one of the great skills is being able to drive defensively and get a slower car to the front of a race and show the guile and skill to stay there. Think of the year Senna won the championship despite being in a woefully underpowered McLaren, this was done by brilliant driving. With DRS he wouldn't have had a chance as everyone ripped past at the first sniff of a straight.

2. Hamilton needs to be taken aside and told to calm the **** down. He is going for gaps that aren't there and then denying any fault. The attempt on Button was ludicrous, at no point in the race did anyone attempt to pass a car on the left on the pit straight as that is the racing line that every driver goes down. If you watch the incident again and use the red pit canopy at McLaren as a reference Button follows the exact same line as every driver. To attempt a pass on the left in the dry would be unusual in any circumstances, to attempt it in the wet with little visibility is a driver who doesn't even consider the conditions or potential crash. A dangerous driver. And as usual in the post crash interview he absolves himself from blame in everything including the team telling his his race is over. He is becoming a liability to both his team and other drivers. And pretty much anyone who knows anything about the sport can see that.

marshallschunkychicken

Two points.

1. DRS is a bit of a joke and makes overtaking way too easy if you get to within a second of the car in front. It is like video games back in the day when you had a boost button on the handset. To me one of the great skills is being able to drive defensively and get a slower car to the front of a race and show the guile and skill to stay there. Think of the year Senna won the championship despite being in a woefully underpowered McLaren, this was done by brilliant driving. With DRS he wouldn't have had a chance as everyone ripped past at the first sniff of a straight.

2. Hamilton needs to be taken aside and told to calm the **** down. He is going for gaps that aren't there and then denying any fault. The attempt on Button was ludicrous, at no point in the race did anyone attempt to pass a car on the left on the pit straight as that is the racing line that every driver goes down. If you watch the incident again and use the red pit canopy at McLaren as a reference Button follows the exact same line as every driver. To attempt a pass on the left in the dry would be unusual in any circumstances, to attempt it in the wet with little visibility is a driver who doesn't even consider the conditions or potential crash. A dangerous driver. And as usual in the post crash interview he absolves himself from blame in everything including the team telling his his race is over. He is becoming a liability to both his team and other drivers. And pretty much anyone who knows anything about the sport can see that.

This.

On another note, if anyone fancies a bit of a laugh, the autosport forum is great at the moment, loads of Hamilton fans bleating and calling racism.

re the DRS, they said that the driver can only activate it once they have passed the DRS activation line, and they cant push it early to make sure it opens right on the line(which massa wa doing)

re button being 0.9 s behind vettel, vettel probably got better drive off (and through) the last chicane as it is accepted that the red bull is quicker through corners (even though webber was struggling for drive off of some corners)

Thanks for that.

Do you know if DRS would activate if a driver was 1.2s behind or is the 1 second interval built into the system too?

Di Resta touched the wall which gave him a puncture and put him out.

Unlucky but its a steep learning curve.

Thanks for that.

Do you know if DRS would activate if a driver was 1.2s behind or is the 1 second interval built into the system too?

it shouldnt work if they are outside the 1 s when they cross the DRS timing line, and is controlled by race control IIRC

kingantti1874

Red bull not faster through slow/medium corners where mechanical grip is king not aero, Renault and mclaren best in those types of corner...

Looking fwd to silverstone-think the field will close up big time

Two points.

I disagree on both counts. If DRS creates a situation where one driver overtakes another because of DRS, then on the next lap the other driver gets the place back, because of DRS - well good. I agrre defensive driving is a great skill, it just takes a wee bit more skill to make sure to restrict the attacking driver, like Vettel did to Hamilton earlier in the season.

2. Hamilton, Vettel and Alonso are three drivers that are hard to split, and all three will go for the gap. The gaps are there, the difference is that some other drivers (e.g. Massa at Monaco) would rather crash than give up the space. The Button issue in Montreal was a racing incident, Button simply never saw Hamilton, or he would have moved over. The racing line arguement may have some validity, but if someone is already filling the space - you simply can't. Senna made moves that were every bit as exciting, which we all laud now. Take Hamilton out you will diminish the sport. Vettel, if he was not leading all the time would be in similar situations, and if Alonso had a car capable of competing he would be the same. - And pretty much anyone who knows anything about the sport can see that.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest juvehearts

Valencia 1st Practice is on in 3 minutes

think the maclarens will be strong here, but dont rule out alonso

juve

Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic?

Had the TV on mute whilst in an audio conference - did Crofty or Ant mention whether the engine mapping changes had taken effect yet?

kingantti1874

yes, no change in settings for this race in parc ferme which will force teams to not run extreme mapping's in qualy 3... full reduction to 10% over-run @ silverstone.

vettel was supposedly running the 10% setting in prep for silvserstone and the RBR looked twitchy as hell in practice 1... good stuff... really hoping lewis, jense and alonso get back in the mix here... the mclarens have had the fastest in race car for the last 3 races, if they can get on an equal footing in qualy it will be exciting.

Force India running their 3rd driver in 1st practice today came back to bite them on the bum.

Hulkenburg crashing di Restas car! Could it not have been Sutils?

di Resta only got 10 mins of 2nd practice to run.

I reckon he'll still outqualify Sutil.

Alonso for pole?

Guest juvehearts

Don't know will be interesting tomorrow morning for p3 de resta will have a solid hr to get his car up to spec.

I'm fancying a Renault engine powered car to be strong In this race.

Looking forward ti tomorrow tho

Guest juvehearts

3rd pratice coming on at 10am

PDR managed the last 10 mins of p2.

will have all p3 to tune his car,

the big boy's looks strong & i think it will be a red bull at the front of the grid

juve

the mclarens have had the fastest in race car for the last 3 races, if they can get on an equal footing in qualy it will be exciting.

I'm interested to know how you conclude that the McLaren has ben the fastest car in the last three races?

Guest juvehearts

I'm interested to know how you conclude that the McLaren has ben the fastest car in the last three races?

I wouldnt say the last 3, however it dominated in monaco it was doing over a second faster than the red bulls & ferrari before the perez crash.

it was the fastest in montreal & I would not rule them out of valencia, but they must sort out their rear grip because buttons car was all over the circuit today during free practice.

Red bulls are frighteninly fast today & the hot tempatures will put down more rubber & make the circuit even faster

Vettel on pole again :thumbsup: Cant see him losing the championship he's too good and the RBs are in a class of their own.

Vettel on pole again :thumbsup: Cant see him losing the championship he's too good and the RBs are in a class of their own.

there is little doubt that the Red bull is the fastest car.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

there is little doubt that the Red bull is the fastest car.

In qualifying it is without doubt the fastest. However, race pace is very close between them and McLaren.

In qualifying it is without doubt the fastest. However, race pace is very close between them and McLaren.

It depends how you measure the fastest car. Is it down the straight, is it round one lap on an almost empty tank, is it the race winner, is it the one that reaches the highest top speed?

Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic?

It depends how you measure the fastest car. Is it down the straight, is it round one lap on an almost empty tank, is it the race winner, is it the one that reaches the highest top speed?

Race pace is measured by how fast, how far and how consistant a car is on any given set of tyres.

The Red Bull - certainly in Seb's hands - is the fastest car on low fuel over a short run.

But the McLarens seem to have a slightly faster car over the duration of the tyre's lifespan.

But track position is king - and leading in a slightly slower car over a race distance is far more preferable to running second in a slightly faster one.

Race pace is measured by how fast, how far and how consistant a car is on any given set of tyres.

The Red Bull - certainly in Seb's hands - is the fastest car on low fuel over a short run.

But the McLarens seem to have a slightly faster car over the duration of the tyre's lifespan.

But track position is king - and leading in a slightly slower car over a race distance is far more preferable to running second in a slightly faster one.

So what you are saying is that things that are not the car, i.e. race pace, which can be affected by a slower car in front, a safety car, weather, track temperature, different types of tryes, the driver etc. will determine the fasters car. Interesting over the last four races, if I heard the commentary in qualifying today correctly, they said that the fastest laps in a red bull were achieved by Mark Weber, so it should be "The Red Bull - certainly in Marks hands is the fastest car on low fuel over a short run"

"But the McLaren's seem to have a slightly faster car over the duration of the tyre's lifespan" Is that the prime, option, wet or intermediate tyre?

Race 1 - Fastest lap , Massa Ferrari: Race 2 Weber RBR: Race 3 Weber RBR: Race 4-Weber RBR: Race 5 - Hamilton McLaren: Race 6-Weber RBR: Race 7- Button, McLaren.

Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic?

So what you are saying is that things that are not the car, i.e. race pace, which can be affected by a slower car in front, a safety car, weather, track temperature, different types of tryes, the driver etc. will determine the fasters car. Interesting over the last four races, if I heard the commentary in qualifying today correctly, they said that the fastest laps in a red bull were achieved by Mark Weber, so it should be "The Red Bull - certainly in Marks hands is the fastest car on low fuel over a short run"

"But the McLaren's seem to have a slightly faster car over the duration of the tyre's lifespan" Is that the prime, option, wet or intermediate tyre?

Race 1 - Fastest lap , Massa Ferrari: Race 2 Weber RBR: Race 3 Weber RBR: Race 4-Weber RBR: Race 5 - Hamilton McLaren: Race 6-Weber RBR: Race 7- Button, McLaren.

?

Seriously; ?

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Ha ha.

That is defintely not what he said.

Ha ha.

That is defintely not what he said.

That's my interpreation of what was said, filling in spaces.

The point is that "the fastest car" is based on what ever parameters you want to base it on, at any given time.

The Fastest car in China was the Ferrari.. etc.... (or was it?)

but really who cares, I'm just looking forward to another great race today.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

That's my interpreation of what was said, filling in spaces.

The point is that "the fastest car" is based on what ever parameters you want to base it on, at any given time.

The Fastest car in China was the Ferrari.. etc.... (or was it?)

but really who cares, I'm just looking forward to another great race today.

Aye, it should be another cracker. Pity it won't rain in Valencia.

Guest juvehearts

what a drive from vettel

just awesome, alonso was strong hamilton beat button & was a shame for di resta

roll on silverstone

juve

what a drive from vettel

just awesome, alonso was strong hamilton beat button & was a shame for di resta

roll on silverstone

juve

Probably the worst race of the season and it was still ok. :thumbsup:

Vettel is the champion already. 77 points ahead. He'll not be caught.

Hamilton really needs to look after his tyres. He is flat out right away and maybe he should just tame it for a few laps.

di Resta seems to be unlucky at the pitstops. He seems to pit at the wrong time and its costing him.

All 24 cars finishing is superb. :thumbsup:

kingantti1874

Probably the worst race of the season and it was still ok. :thumbsup:

Vettel is the champion already. 77 points ahead. He'll not be caught.

Hamilton really needs to look after his tyres. He is flat out right away and maybe he should just tame it for a few laps.

di Resta seems to be unlucky at the pitstops. He seems to pit at the wrong time and its costing him.

All 24 cars finishing is superb. :thumbsup:

Seems the engine map ban has badly affected mclaren, oversteering to fecknhence why they were wrecking tyres... Actually rally disappointing was really hoping we'd see rbr and vettel sucked back towards pack but that rbr is simply too strong... Not good at all for championship as it all over

My Left Nut

It will be interesting so see who comes out on top when the ban of blown diffusers comes in to place from silverstone.

Cold blowing ? When the driver lifts off the throttle pedal the engine throttles go to 100% and it cuts all the fuel to the spark, so there is no drive from the engine but all the air is flowing through the engine to give about 75% of the exhaust pressure you get on the power. Everyone has been doing this for the last 12 months.

Hot blowing ? For the last two or three months this practice has come in. In hot blowing they start to inject some fuel and put a spark into the engine to increase the energy into the gas. So they end up with more downforce. To do that they have to ****** the ignition and kill the torque, because if you don?t then the engine is going to create torque and the engine is going to keep going when the driver lifts off the throttle. RBR seem so have the best system for this method.

With RBR having the best blown diffuser system and probably have the best DRS system that explains their qualifying pace.

The above is just my view on RBR, I still think they will be hard to beat.

It will be interesting so see who comes out on top when the ban of blown diffusers comes in to place from silverstone.

Cold blowing ? When the driver lifts off the throttle pedal the engine throttles go to 100% and it cuts all the fuel to the spark, so there is no drive from the engine but all the air is flowing through the engine to give about 75% of the exhaust pressure you get on the power. Everyone has been doing this for the last 12 months.

Hot blowing ? For the last two or three months this practice has come in. In hot blowing they start to inject some fuel and put a spark into the engine to increase the energy into the gas. So they end up with more downforce. To do that they have to ****** the ignition and kill the torque, because if you don?t then the engine is going to create torque and the engine is going to keep going when the driver lifts off the throttle. RBR seem so have the best system for this method.

With RBR having the best blown diffuser system and probably have the best DRS system that explains their qualifying pace.

The above is just my view on RBR, I still think they will be hard to beat.

its generally accepted (thats what they said during qualifying) that mercedes has the best DRS system

My Left Nut

its generally accepted (thats what they said during qualifying) that mercedes has the best DRS system

OK, RBR have the better combination of DRS and Hot blowing as they can use thier DRS at parts of tracks that the other teams can't, this does explain their qualifying pace.

I think I read somewhere that Williams is believed to be the better package without hot blowing, I could be wrong though.

Archived