Official Formula 1 2011 Uber Thread

Guest juvehearts

Guest juvehearts

well well well,

You can get cheap tickets for the Bahrain Grand Prix :woot:

Much to discuss now about this new season, everything is changed again.

After 20 years we see Pirelli back, It gets interesting.........

Now Teams are only allowed 6 set of tyres per race weekend (free practice, qualifying & race day) & 3 sets have to be returned.

These tyres are designed to degrade quicker so the emphasis of teamwork this season means the mechanic's in the pit lane are working even harder to perfect their pit stops as they reckon at least between 3-4 stops per race.

This gives the lesser teams on the track more of a chance in the race.......

or does it?

Kinetic energy recovery system is back costing millions of pounds & weighing the car down by 30kgs further. you can use either a mechanical (flybrid) or electrical (battery) device for storing the energy saved in breaking.

It gives drivers a 5-6 second advantage from others on a piece of track by allowing the driver an extra 60-80 rmp for the duration

Its supposed to show the world that F1 is eco friendly because it used hybrid technology.

the disadvantages of the system, is that some of the teams cant afford it effectually meaning yet again a 2 tier grid for the sport.

personally i dont like the system, if everyone cant have it then what's the point, also i strongly believe that F1 has buckled into pressure from the green partys.

The numbers (money) dont add up, its less efficient for teams to produce the millions of pounds to create the system, than what is exactly saved.

its a great message, but its not very well thought, its a money issue & that gives lesser teams a disadvantage.

Finally the adjustable rear wing debate.

its designed to increase the amount of overtaking, by reducing drag & increase speed, however with less than 2 weeks to go the FIA have not set out in stone the details of when the teams can implement it.

a lot of red tape.

ill try & explain as best i can the stipulations of this.

Drivers can use the system at any time in practice and qualifying

but not in the 1st 2 laps of the grand prix.

then the use of the wing will only be made available to the driver at set points on the circuit if he is less than one second behind the car ahead :rolleyes:

now a light will come on the dashboard when the driver is allowed to use the system & once used the whole system deactivated either when the driver brakes or pushes the button :blink:

for anyone that doesnt have a clue about the sport you'd be like :huh:

ive been told in great detail how this system works & seen a prototype in action down in the maclaren garage & im still wondering WTF

so to conclude

between the rear wing & kers. the driver has more button's on his wheel to drive the car i feel there will be more action on the pit wall & garage than the actual race.

i am excited however about the tyre compound & the fact that its all going to come down to tyre management.

what i dont want to see are cars limping their way around the track. Only time will tell

Juve

• Replies 727
  • Created
  • Last Reply

F1 stopped being "Exciting" years ago...It's just a boring procession of highly engineered Cars being "Guided" round a track :sleep:

hmfc_liam06

F1 stopped being "Exciting" years ago...It's just a boring procession of highly engineered Cars being "Guided" round a track :sleep:

Care to try and drive one?

It's wierd that a sport which is so fast is also so slow.

The participants may be covering a mile in half a minute but the competition can fundamentally be decided by millimeter layer of rubber wearing away over ten minutes. Leads aren't snatched away they're inexorably, inevitably worn down by half a second per lap.Like the Tour de France it kind of unfolds without you needing to pay attention to it minute by minute. In fact you can follow the season quite well without ever watching it and like Test Cricket you have to keep doing sums to figure out what the real state of play is and keep an eye on the weather.

Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic?

Now Teams are only allowed 6 set of tyres per race weekend (free practice, qualifying & race day) & 3 sets have to be returned.

Your tyre allocation is a tad on the low side.

Regulations changes can be found here http://www.formula1.com/inside_f1/rules_and_regulations/sporting_regulations/8692/

Kinetic energy recovery system is back costing millions of pounds & weighing the car down by 30kgs further. you can use either a mechanical (flybrid) or electrical (battery) device for storing the energy saved in breaking.

It gives drivers a 5-6 second advantage from others on a piece of track by allowing the driver an extra 60-80 rmp for the duration

Think you mean 0.5-0.6 seconds (actualy more like 0.3). :)

My Left Nut

well well well,

You can get cheap tickets for the Bahrain Grand Prix :woot:

Much to discuss now about this new season, everything is changed again.

After 20 years we see Pirelli back, It gets interesting.........

These tyres are designed to degrade quicker so the emphasis of teamwork this season means the mechanic's in the pit lane are working even harder to perfect their pit stops as they reckon at least between 3-4 stops per race.

This gives the lesser teams on the track more of a chance in the race.......

or does it?

Its supposed to show the world that F1 is eco friendly because it used hybrid technology.

the disadvantages of the system, is that some of the teams cant afford it effectually meaning yet again a 2 tier grid for the sport.

personally i dont like the system, if everyone cant have it then what's the point, also i strongly believe that F1 has buckled into pressure from the green partys.

The numbers (money) dont add up, its less efficient for teams to produce the millions of pounds to create the system, than what is exactly saved.

its a great message, but its not very well thought, its a money issue & that gives lesser teams a disadvantage.

its designed to increase the amount of overtaking, by reducing drag & increase speed, however with less than 2 weeks to go the FIA have not set out in stone the details of when the teams can implement it.

a lot of red tape.

then the use of the wing will only be made available to the driver at set points on the circuit if he is less than one second behind the car ahead :rolleyes:

now a light will come on the dashboard when the driver is allowed to use the system & once used the whole system deactivated either when the driver brakes or pushes the button :blink:

ive been told in great detail how this system works & seen a prototype in action down in the maclaren garage & im still wondering WTF

so to conclude

between the rear wing & kers. the driver has more button's on his wheel to drive the car i feel there will be more action on the pit wall & garage than the actual race.

i am excited however about the tyre compound & the fact that its all going to come down to tyre management.

what i dont want to see are cars limping their way around the track. Only time will tell

Juve

I am excited about the new season some more changes include.

Gearboxes now need to last for five race weekends, instead of the previous four.

During the first phase of qualifying, any driver who fails to set a lap within 107 percent of the fastest Q1 time will not be allowed to start the race. However, in exceptional circumstances, which could include a driver setting a suitable time during practice, the stewards may permit the car to start. New teams will suffer I fear.

Team orders are back.

Team curfew, they will not be allowed into the circuit between midnight and 6am when practice is scheduled to start at 10am the following day, or between 1am and 7am when practice starts at 11am. Each team is permitted four individual exceptions to this rule during the season.

I think the Bulls are gonna be really strong again followed by the prancing horse. I also think Renault and Force India will have good seasons. I hope Mclaren and Mercedes get some more pace. I would like a 5 way team fight. :thumbsup:

Guest juvehearts

i think this is the year where williams, renault, mercedes & force india will make the step up to challenge red bull & maclaren.

williams have the most talented engineers in the pit circuit i feel, its just a shame the car has let them down for ages.

unless force 1 uses the kers they will fall away their track seems to be monza

out of the other pack i think the surprise package will be sauber this year

juve

Dave Spacey

During the first phase of qualifying, any driver who fails to set a lap within 107 percent of the fastest Q1 time will not be allowed to start the race. However, in exceptional circumstances, which could include a driver setting a suitable time during practice, the stewards may permit the car to start. New teams will suffer I fear.

I too am looking forward to the new season starting. Looking forward to seeing Kobayashi again, enjoyed watching him going into corners far too fast trying to overtake and somehow getting his car slowed down enough (most of the time).

Is this reverting back to a rule in place 10 or so years ago? Will it still be the 3 session qualifying? if it is I don't think this rule is fair (sorry for the questions I just know heehaw about next season apart from when it starts)

My Left Nut

I too am looking forward to the new season starting. Looking forward to seeing Kobayashi again, enjoyed watching him going into corners far too fast trying to overtake and somehow getting his car slowed down enough (most of the time).

Is this reverting back to a rule in place 10 or so years ago? Will it still be the 3 session qualifying? if it is I don't think this rule is fair (sorry for the questions I just know heehaw about next season apart from when it starts)

Still the same 3 sessions as far as I am aware, I never liked this rule in the first place, it does make some sense though.

It is only in quali 1 so it might not be so bad.

The Mighty Thor

Moto GP pishes all over F1.

Here are the reasons why;

a lot of red tape.

so to conclude

Juve

Gearboxes now need to last for five race weekends, instead of the previous four.

Team orders are back.

Team curfew, they will not be allowed into the circuit between midnight and 6am when practice is scheduled to start at 10am the following day, or between 1am and 7am when practice starts at 11am. Each team is permitted four individual exceptions to this rule during the season.

Tyres, KERS, wings, curfews, Qualifying phases........any racing?

In a frantic effort to make it remotley watchable and in any way exciting bernie the bolt is scrabbling around with gimmicks to replace the wheel to wheel racing that defines a motorsport.

March 20th chaps.........the first Moto GP of the season from Qatar.

Tune in, it'll be far more exciting than the procession that is F1 :thumbsup:

Gareth_Hearts

I think this year will introduce HD on BBC.

This is true, should look fantastic.

Thank you OP for that post as i havent been following it much over the post/pre season, i'm certainly looking forward to the new season and really hoping it'll be more exciting.....but if its boring and Hamilton wins the title i'll also be happy :thumbsup:

Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic?

Moto GP pishes all over F1.

Blah Blah Blah.

March 20th chaps.........the first Moto GP of the season from Qatar.

Tune in, it'll be far more exciting than the procession that is F1 :thumbsup:

:lol:

The tyres not lasting long should make things interesting.

The smoother drivers could have an advantage.

I hope Paul di Resta has a great season. I think he'll take 3 or 4 races to find his feet and then he'll start dominating Sutil. :thumbsup:

But most of all i'm looking forward to Belgium. 3rd visit and the 1st time with my mates since 2001.

Bring it on.

they will need to have a much better second half against dundee united tonight to be within any shot of the title.

This is true, should look fantastic.

Thank you OP for that post as i havent been following it much over the post/pre season, i'm certainly looking forward to the new season and really hoping it'll be more exciting.....but if its boring and Hamilton wins the title i'll also be happy :thumbsup:

Guest juvehearts

Fight!

zzzzz

nothing to fight about TC

formula 1 is the pinnacle of motorsport, you dont get 5g turns on a bike or a rally car.

its funny that people knock the motorsport since it was this concept that birth to the rest of the sport motoring world

its like a hibee debating with us about who is better.

My Left Nut

zzzzz

formula 1 is the pinnacle of motorsport, you dont get 5g turns on a bike or a rally car.

its funny that people knock the motorsport since it was this concept that birth to the rest of the sport motoring world

Agreed, while Moto GP is exciting, highly competitive and more dangerous, F1 is the top tier in motorsport. Plus you can drive a F1 car upside down in a tunnel in theory, you cant do that on a crotch rocket. :teehee:

zzzzz

I meant between trotter and cosmo given the absence of "the wheel to wheel racing that defines a motorsport." in rally driving..

zzzzz

fair point, but I disagree.

Formula one teams have multi-billion pound budgets with about 3000 support staff, vehicles, etc. The drivers live superstar lifestyles and usually the only exciting thing is the fuel stops and hoping that something catches fire. GPs cost god-only-knows how much money to get in, if you want to watch a rally you can just walk up and stand in the middle of the bloody track if you want!!

WRC on the other hand has 'proper' rules and regulations that state things like the car you use must have at least 25000 sold on the roads to be allowable, you have cars that can do 0 - 60 in 3 seconds on snow/gravel/ice etc, F1 cars whilst fast admittedly are only particularly good when it's dry. Now tell me something, can you honestly say that watching 20-odd cars trailing each other round a track like a snake is a better spectacle than someone driving like their on fire, through a dark, snow-covered forest, sideyways??

graeme

Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic?

Formula one teams have multi-billion pound budgets with about 3000 support staff, vehicles, etc. The drivers live superstar lifestyles and usually the only exciting thing is the fuel stops and hoping that something catches fire. GPs cost god-only-knows how much money to get in, if you want to watch a rally you can just walk up and stand in the middle of the bloody track if you want!!

WRC on the other hand has 'proper' rules and regulations that state things like the car you use must have at least 25000 sold on the roads to be allowable, you have cars that can do 0 - 60 in 3 seconds on snow/gravel/ice etc, F1 cars whilst fast admittedly are only particularly good when it's dry. Now tell me something, can you honestly say that watching 20-odd cars trailing each other round a track like a snake is a better spectacle than someone driving like their on fire, through a dark, snow-covered forest, sideyways??

graeme

The bits in bold are nonsense.

liked this picture for an art exhibit

_51610235_dwf1car.jpg

its a mercedes f1 car in bits and hanging from the ceiling like it would look right after an explosion My link

The Mighty Thor

Agreed, while Moto GP is exciting, highly competitive and more dangerous, F1 is the top tier in motorsport. Plus you can drive a F1 car upside down in a tunnel in theory, you cant do that on a crotch rocket. :teehee:

Awesome!

so in theory you could have a procession of 20 F1 cars driving upside down in a tunnel still unable to overtake (that's where one car passes another car for you F1 die hards) each other.

Technology really has moved on! :thumbsup::lol:

The bits in bold are nonsense.

admittedly the first two are exaggerations to make a point, but the others are not. It's for this reason that the world got the like of the Escort Cosworth, Subaru Impreza WRX and Mitsi Evo...in order to qualify for homologation to enter the WRC, you need to make a certain number of units available for public sale. And the last time I checked, i'm sure the number was 25000.

A proper full-fat WRC car WILL get to 60 from a standing start on gravel in around 3secs. Now admittedly they use anti-lag to do it, but my point stands!

And we'll agree to disagree on the last one. :thumbsup:

graeme

Guest juvehearts

graeme

you dont really have a clue about the automobile industry do you.

1st of all fuel pit stops were banned in 2009

2nd of all f1 cars reach speeds of over 300 mph & is about the technical & mechanical aspects of the sport

3rd of all watching cars snake around a track is just another way of saying 'hey i know sfa about the sport'

formula 1 is the best motorsport.

why juve? How is this.

how many people watch it, how many people are interested in it.

its not just about watching cars go around the track, its lap times, aerodynamics, development, progression.

the cars are still evolving & the teams still develop the parts throughout the season.

theres not really an argument about why formula 1 is the best form of Motorsport everyone wants to be in it.

The Mighty Thor

2nd of all f1 cars reach speeds of over 300 mph & is about the technical & mechanical aspects of the sport

3rd of all watching cars snake around a track is just another way of saying 'hey i know sfa about the sport'

why juve? How is this.

its not just about watching cars go around the track, its lap times, aerodynamics, development, progression.

the cars are still evolving & the teams still develop the parts throughout the season.

theres not really an argument about why formula 1 is the best form of Motorsport everyone wants to be in it.

And they can go upside down in a tunnel.

meninblack.jpg

Unbelievable scenes!!!

rossthejambo

why juve? How is this.

I'm a big fan of F1 but saying they go to speeds exceeding 300 mph is a gross exaggeration.

The Mighty Thor

I'm a big fan of F1 but saying they go to speeds exceeding 300 mph is a gross exaggeration.

Highest race speeds recorded

F1 car = 369.9 kilometers per hour (229.8 mph) Ant?nio Pizzonia of BMW WilliamsF1, Italian Grand Prix 2004

Moto GP = 349.288 km/h (217.037 mph), Dani Pedrosa Repsol Honda RC212V 800cc during Free Practice 1 at the 2009 Italian Grand Prix

The bike was definitely the right way up whilst recording it's top speed. :whistling:

rossthejambo

Highest race speeds recorded

F1 car = 369.9 kilometers per hour (229.8 mph) Ant?nio Pizzonia of BMW WilliamsF1, Italian Grand Prix 2004

Moto GP = 349.288 km/h (217.037 mph), Dani Pedrosa Repsol Honda RC212V 800cc during Free Practice 1 at the 2009 Italian Grand Prix

The bike was definitely the right way up whilst recording it's top speed. :whistling:

I did suspect there was a mix up with the units there.

I'm not joining a debate though, I understand people's views that F1's boring but for some reason I quite enjoy it. I don't enjoy MotoGP though, I've tried to get into it but it just doesn't work, likewise with the WRC.

Different strokes for different folk and all that :thumbsup:

Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic?

admittedly the first two are exaggerations to make a point, but the others are not. It's for this reason that the world got the like of the Escort Cosworth, Subaru Impreza WRX and Mitsi Evo...in order to qualify for homologation to enter the WRC, you need to make a certain number of units available for public sale. And the last time I checked, i'm sure the number was 25000.

A proper full-fat WRC car WILL get to 60 from a standing start on gravel in around 3secs. Now admittedly they use anti-lag to do it, but my point stands!

And we'll agree to disagree on the last one. :thumbsup:

graeme

The cars you quote are from the Group A days.

5000 road going versions needed to be built for homologation purposes.

World Rally Cars are completely different as they need no road going versions to be built - hence why you cannot buy a 4WD Ford Focus.

To avoid rally bred prototypes the regulations do say that the model upon which the car is based needs 2500 examples to exist - not 25000.

why juve? How is this.

Ouch, bit touchy mate.

You like it, fine. I don't. I am in no doubt about the technical development that has gone into the cars over the years. And yeah, it is correct that in terms of technology it is indeed probably the 'pinnacle of motorsport'. However, in terms of actual racing and as a spectator sport i'm far from convinced. With the exception of Monaco (which I always make the effort to watch) I find the whole thing tedious. Once the drivers have went round one lap, they, for the most part, are doing exactly the same thing for the next hour or so. And i'm sorry, but I don't happen to find that interesting. I woudl much rather watch drivers go hammering around a course at relatively high speed with what I would call 'proper skill' in avoiding rocks, holes, animals, trees, etc. etc. Just my opinion - you may or may not accept it!!

The cars you quote are from the Group A days.

5000 road going versions needed to be built for homologation purposes.

World Rally Cars are completely different as they need no road going versions to be built - hence why you cannot buy a 4WD Ford Focus.

To avoid rally bred prototypes the regulations do say that the model upon which the car is based needs 2500 examples to exist - not 25000.

Sorry got a 0 out of place there. And yes, WRC still have to be homologated (although numbers kept to below 50) in order to gain FIA certification.

"The WRC class cars have to be produced to very limited numbers in order to get the required FIA homologation. Production numbers can be kept below 50 units (better still than back in the old Group B days where 200 units had to be produced). The typical WRC class car is based upon a large volume production model to which a manufacturer can modify or add the following:

?Modified front and rear suspension layout and attachment points

?Add-on turbocharger even if the production car does not have one

?Modified transmission and additional transmission tunnels in order to fit a 4x4 transmission even if the production car is 2 wheel drive. Consequently differentials and gear box are free.

?Modified engine intake and exhaust systems

?Modified engine position (the engine can be relocated by a maximum of 20mm as compared to its original position and can be tilted by 20? around the crankshaft axis)

?Modified wheelbase (?20mm) and track widths (1550mm max)

?The maximum car width allowed is 1770 mm

?Minimum length of 4000mm"

I love F1. It is the best motorsport. It's like chess, and speed, ans spontinaety, and tactics, and teamwork, and chance, and weather influenced, and unpredicatble, and entertaining

Being at a race is so much different to watching on tv.

The noise is unbelievably loud. You don't get that on tv. Some cars are so loud it hurts your ears.

The smells too. Fuel and rubber etc. is great.

People who don't like it usually ask me whats the point when all they're doing is going round and round. While this is true, on tv they'll follow the leader for lap after lap, when you're there you can actually watch the midfield and backmarkers having a ding dong battle. After a few laps there's cars going past every few seconds.

There's more to F1 than the top teams. :thumbsup:

The Mighty Thor

The season hasn't even started and 'Big Bernie' is already scrambling around to try to find something to make it more watchable....

Sprinklers. :facepalm:

http://uk.eurosport....nkler-idea.html

Yip billions invested in engines and aerodynamics and his solution to make it more exciting????

657139.jpg

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

rossthejambo

The season hasn't even started and 'Big Bernie' is already scrambling around to try to find something to make it more watchable....

Sprinklers. :facepalm:

http://uk.eurosport....nkler-idea.html

Yip billions invested in engines and aerodynamics and his solution to make it more exciting????

657139.jpg

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Worst. Idea. Ever. To think he gets paid a fortune to come out with shit like this :vrface:

Arse 'Friends' Dyslexic?

Well I watched the first two practice sessions this morning and...

Red Bull are still the cars to beat in my opinion, with Alonso not too far behind in the Ferrari.

Massa looks fragile - he has a deal till the end of 2012 but unless he gets his act together then I think he'll be out well before then.

The McLarens look far stronger than they did in testing but I'd be surprised if they were in the top three in qualifying.

Not sure about the Mercedes' pace - probably between them and McLaren for positions four through six.

Of the rest;

Perez looks pretty fiesty - even more so than Kobayashi which is saying something! So look out for him.

Paul Di Resta did a pretty good job finishing ahead of Sutil but unfortunately the Force India looks like a bit of a dog at the moment.

Hopefully they'll make progress over the coming races.

The adjustable rear wing doesn't look like it will make much of a difference in the race - but it may have an influence in qualifying.

A number of offs were caused by drivers closing it too late (it can be used whenever in qualifying) and running wide.

But it's the tyres which will spice things up.

It's going to be a busy time for Ted Kravitz and the new lass who's name escapes me.

Roll on Sunday 07.30!

JamboRossi79

Formula 1, totally boring after the first bend on lap 1. Its like Scalextric but noisier.

Scalextric isn't boring thumbsup.gif

Formula 1, totally boring after the first bend on lap 1. Its like Scalextric but noisier.

F1 totally awesome for the complete race. To say it's like scaletric is like saying football is like subbuteo, or curry is like ice cream.

The intrigue of who is coming in when, who'll change tyres, whose will wear out etc .. fascinating.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Vettel 0.8 seconds ahead of second placed Hamilton in qualifying. Is it even worth watching this season?

Boring.

Guest juvehearts

did you see sutil nearly put his car in the wall?

he did well to stop that, although i think it was luck more than anythng else.

the tyres are what will be the difference this year.

massa, buton, schumacher & barrachello all stated that they didnt have an heat in them,

track temp is now a major factor in the team strategy

juve

All I will say is good luck to the new Scot on the grid, Paul Di Resta!!

Absolutely. He is godfather to one of the pupils in my class and is coming to speak to them next term at some point. Best of luck to the lad. :thumbsup:

Vettel 0.8 seconds ahead of second placed Hamilton in qualifying. Is it even worth watching this season?

Boring.

Not for you obviously

Exciting qualifying, tyre choices very intriguing.

Gavsy Van Gaverson

Not for you obviously

Exciting qualifying, tyre choices very intriguing.

Exciting from 2nd downwards perhaps ;-)

did you see sutil nearly put his car in the wall?

he did well to stop that, although i think it was luck more than anythng else.

the tyres are what will be the difference this year.

massa, buton, schumacher & barrachello all stated that they didnt have an heat in them,

track temp is now a major factor in the team strategy

juve

That was an excellent save by Sutil. :thumbsup:

F1 drivers usually hit the accelerator when spinning out rather than the brakes so as to spin the car. Madness.

Good to see Di Resta outqualify Sutil. :thumbsup:

To be fair though if Sutil hadn't spun he'd be behind him rather than in front.

Looking forward to the race.

Archived