Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Lads, im considering, ditching meat.

Any no meat muscle building diet ideas you could pass my way.

Cheers.

One of Britains top bodybuilders has just gone vegan, Barny Du Plessis.

Lots of pulses, lentils, beans and nuts and protein powders are going to be your best bet.

One of Britains top bodybuilders has just gone vegan, Barny Du Plessis.

Lots of pulses, lentils, beans and nuts and protein powders are going to be your best bet.

Cheers bud.

Lads, im considering, ditching meat.

Any no meat muscle building diet ideas you could pass my way.

Cheers.

Just out of interest, howcome?

Any recommendations on straps for deadlifts, after a certain point my grip just starts to go.

Or even tips on stronger grip? 

Training tips for ma deadlift would be very welcome.:)

How often do you train and what do you do currently for deadlifts?

Do you know what your current 1rm is?

Any recommendations on straps for deadlifts, after a certain point my grip just starts to go.

Or even tips on stronger grip?

If your hands are big enough you could try hook grip.

If getting straps they're all the same IMO. I got a set ?2.99 on Ebay that do me fine.

Edited by RS86

How often do you train and what do you do currently for deadlifts?

Do you know what your current 1rm is?

hex was 200kg and dead was 180kg last year. Out injured for 9 month.

Both lifts are down 20kg bud.

I usually do partials for a dozen reps with 160kg.

Shin high.

Edited by aussieh

hex was 200kg and dead was 180kg last year. Out injured for 9 month.

Both lifts are down 20kg bud.

I usually do partials for a dozen reps with 160kg.

Shin high.

Cool.

How often do you train?

How many sets would you do normally?

What was the injury?

Sorry for 21 q's just trying to figure out what might help you most :)

Cool.

How often do you train?No less than 4x a week, more if i can fit it in.

Chest & tris

back & bis

legs

Shoulders & traps

How many sets would you do normally?6 exercises 2 working sets after ive warmed up.

What was the injury?Osteoathritis in my Knees, and a tricep tendon.

Sorry for 21 q's just trying to figure out what might help you most :)

No less than 4x a week, more if i can fit it in.

Chest & tris

back & bis

legs

Shoulders & traps

6 exercises 2 working sets after ive warmed up.

Osteoathritis in my Knees, and a tricep tendon.

What is your main goal when training ie do you train to build muscle/look better, for sports performance or just for strength?

Re the osteoarthritis can't imagine this makes things easy for you. Might be that lower weights with higher rep ranges will benefit you more, going too heavy may aggravate this? Would need a docs advice on that side of it though.

What is your main goal when training ie do you train to build muscle/look better, for sports performance or just for strength?

Re the osteoarthritis can't imagine this makes things easy for you. Might be that lower weights with higher rep ranges will benefit you more, going too heavy may aggravate this? Would need a docs advice on that side of it though.

Bodybuilding(H.I.T/Heavy duty training), Im 42 , started at 38. Everything else is back to where it should be, other than ma deads.

Id chuck it before I went light weight, high reps, you have to be, as strong as you look, bud. :D

Needing some advice.

I am really wanting to start to gain muscle (as I currently have almost none :lol: ) but I have no access to a gym.

I am 5ft10 and weigh 10st 1lb and can't seem to gain weight either, which I feel I need to do to actually gain muscle.

Another thing, my wrists are tiny! Is this normal?

Help would be appreciated

Bodybuilding(H.I.T/Heavy duty training), Im 42 , started at 38. Everything else is back to where it should be, other than ma deads.

Id chuck it before I went light weight, high reps, you have to be, as strong as you look, bud. :D

Try German Volume Training. Start at 60% of your 1rm and do 10 sets of 10 (you can split it to 5 x 10 Deadlifts, 5 x 10 bent rows etc but I prefer just sticking to deadlift, squat, bench and then accessory work with them).

Progress the weights each time you manage to complete all 100 reps. Absolutely brutal but will add muscle and build your strength provided you're eating enough. 5-6 weeks of this will kick you on a bit.

Its nice lifting heavy but for building muscle you're best served leaving your ego at the door.

Needing some advice.

I am really wanting to start to gain muscle (as I currently have almost none :lol: ) but I have no access to a gym.

I am 5ft10 and weigh 10st 1lb and can't seem to gain weight either, which I feel I need to do to actually gain muscle.

Another thing, my wrists are tiny! Is this normal?

Help would be appreciated

What do you have at your disposal to train with?

Re gaining weight simply need to eat more. May sound too easy but at 10st 1 you aren't eating enough if you're not gaining weight.

Re wrists wouldn't worry. My wrists n ankles are skinny, always have been always will be. Nothing you can do about it unfortunately.

Try German Volume Training. Start at 60% of your 1rm and do 10 sets of 10 (you can split it to 5 x 10 Deadlifts, 5 x 10 bent rows etc but I prefer just sticking to deadlift, squat, bench and then accessory work with them).

Progress the weights each time you manage to complete all 100 reps. Absolutely brutal but will add muscle and build your strength provided you're eating enough. 5-6 weeks of this will kick you on a bit.

Its nice lifting heavy but for building muscle you're best served leaving your ego at the door.

http://muscleandbrawn.com/complete-guide-german-volume-training/

What do you have at your disposal to train with?

Re gaining weight simply need to eat more. May sound too easy but at 10st 1 you aren't eating enough if you're not gaining weight.

Re wrists wouldn't worry. My wrists n ankles are skinny, always have been always will be. Nothing you can do about it unfortunately.

Not a lot at my disposal, could go and buy some dumbells but that's about it.

Not a lot at my disposal, could go and buy some dumbells but that's about it.

You will struggle to stimulate muscle growth with bodyweight exercises alone (not impossible just more difficult) so would def suggest dumbells or even a kettlebell to help. Have you got much space at home for equipment?

Edited by RS86

You will struggle to stimulate muscle growth with bodyweight exercises alone (not impossible just more difficult) so would def suggest dumbells or even a kettlebell to help. Have you got much space at home for equipment?

Multi grip, chin/pull up bar for your door frame.

There's no space for any gym like machines. I have a fairly small room so it would only be room for dumbbells, but a pull up bar is a possibility too.

How would you generate leg muscle using that equipment? or can you?

Edited by BarasaMad

There's no space for any gym like machines. I have a fairly small room so it would only be room for dumbbells, but a pull up bar is a possibility too.

How would you generate leg muscle using that equipment? or can you?

Squats,deads,stiff deads, lunges all holding dumb-bells, and leg curls with dumb-bells trapped between your feet, lying over a table or a couple of chairs assistance required.

Weight dips between chairs, weighted pull ups, presses,shrugs, raises, curls, etc... will build your upper body.

Edited by aussieh

Volume training on legs this morning, just about barfed in the gym bin.

:yas:

It really is horrific but effective. Did you finish all your sets?

Squats,deads,stiff deads, lunges all holding dumb-bells, and leg curls with dumb-bells trapped between your feet, lying over a table or a couple of chairs assistance required.

Weight dips between chairs, weighted pull ups, presses,shrugs, raises, curls, etc... will build your upper body.

Pretty much dead on what I would have said :)

Only thing I'd throw in is single arm dumbell clean & press, just cos I love doing them.

Edited by RS86

:yas:

It really is horrific but effective. Did you finish all your sets?

Dropped weight to get reps out. 

Failed a bit at the end on lunges. 

Had also trained legs on Monday, brutal. 

Pretty much dead on what I would have said :)

Only thing I'd throw in is single arm dumbell clean & press, just cos I love doing them.

Big Brian Shaw, loves them aswell.

The dumbbell is massive. :D

Does anyone use Map My Run??

I've created a group if anyone is interested in joining, it'd be good to share routes, I have a 5k route I've been doing but it'd be good to find other routes.

Group Name: JKB

Pass Code: BigTeamBigCup

*no reference to Jambos Kickback had been made on the group, it's called JKB but those are simply initials.

Clicked on "Join Group" it then told me "Error the Join code you used is invalid" There was no opportunity to enter the Join Code / Pass Code

My routes probably wont help you much as I'm in Swindon. There are a few in Portobello I've done including the Park run one at Figgate Park. I think they will be on map my run.

• 2 weeks later...
CRWJambo1991

I'm wanting to get my forearms bigger. Easiest way to do so?

I just invested in a pair of hand grips, heard they can do that particular job?

Sierra Delta

I struggle with pretty shitty forearms too and from reading up on it seen that a few people had recommended 'fat gripz'. 

Anybody any experience with them?

http://www.fatgripz.co.uk/

Add some reverse curls and wrist curls to your arm routine.

Deads and shrugs will bring them along in no time.]

Edited by aussieh

Just noticed this - i'm clearly going to have to be nicer to you in the future, before you crush my puny, runner's, body with your bare hands :surrender:

Just noticed this - i'm clearly going to have to be nicer to you in the future, before you crush my puny, runner's, body with your bare hands :surrender:

:D

Not at all, Nooks.

I struggle with pretty shitty forearms too and from reading up on it seen that a few people had recommended 'fat gripz'. 

Anybody any experience with them?

http://www.fatgripz.co.uk/

They are good and help with grip strength.

My forearms tend to grow more from heavy pressing and pulling like OHP,deads rather than hitting them directly (isolation exercises like reverse grip bicep curls).

Edited by RS86

Need some help folks. Kids want me to set up a garage gym and a quality weights bench is a must apparently. Any suggestions? They'll be paying for it so price isn't really a barrier but nothing too outrageous.

• 3 weeks later...

Need some help folks. Kids want me to set up a garage gym and a quality weights bench is a must apparently. Any suggestions? They'll be paying for it so price isn't really a barrier but nothing too outrageous.

www.fitness-superstore.co.uk Edited by aussieh

Konrad von Carstein

Gumtree?

Lease it

Needing a bit of a hand with my chest routine lads.  I posted a while back saying I think I'm stalling, as I haven't really changed much in the past few months.  Got a good routine going with the rest of the stuff, it's just this that's bothering me!

I'm wanting to put on some mass, just to shape up as much as I can.  There is no real end goal in sight, as I plan to just keep sticking at it.

Current routine is:

Bench Press - 4 sets of 10 reps, 50kg (could manage to go up to 60kg, but at the cost of reps)

Inverted Bench Press - 4 sets of 10 reps, 40-50kg

Bench Dumbbell Fly - 4 sets of 10 reps, 14kg dumbbells

Inverted Dumbbell Fly - 4 sets of 10 reps, 12kg dumbbells

2 of the machines in the gym, usually Converging and Diverging Bench Presses, 4 sets of 10.

Usually feel it pretty good the next 2 days or so.

Anyone got any suggestions on what to change?  It's worked up until now, but I really want to start putting on more muscle mass.  I'm finding eating properly is the hardest part, but that's another story altogether.

Cables and dips.

Alternate dumbbell with barbell , one chest day dumbbell, the next chest day barbell.

Wide grip barbell with lighter weight

Edited by aussieh

Needing a bit of a hand with my chest routine lads. I posted a while back saying I think I'm stalling, as I haven't really changed much in the past few months. Got a good routine going with the rest of the stuff, it's just this that's bothering me!

I'm wanting to put on some mass, just to shape up as much as I can. There is no real end goal in sight, as I plan to just keep sticking at it.

Current routine is:

Bench Press - 4 sets of 10 reps, 50kg (could manage to go up to 60kg, but at the cost of reps)

Inverted Bench Press - 4 sets of 10 reps, 40-50kg

Bench Dumbbell Fly - 4 sets of 10 reps, 14kg dumbbells

Inverted Dumbbell Fly - 4 sets of 10 reps, 12kg dumbbells

2 of the machines in the gym, usually Converging and Diverging Bench Presses, 4 sets of 10.

Usually feel it pretty good the next 2 days or so.

Anyone got any suggestions on what to change? It's worked up until now, but I really want to start putting on more muscle mass. I'm finding eating properly is the hardest part, but that's another story altogether.

Too much in one day IMO. 120 presses in there and 2 fly variations on top is a lot.

Cut down the volume and increase the weights, alternate between a press and a fly movement. Aim to get your benching numbers up and once they are consistent (say 70-80kg and able to do it consistently, not just one off maxes) and at this point then up the number of reps again.

Also found that DB press helped me massively, both for size and increasing strength as requires much more stabilization.

Edited by RS86

Sierra Delta

Anybody doing Mens Health Survival of the Fittest in Edinburgh in a couple of weeks? 

I've just attempted the Radical Road at Arthur's Seat in preparation for it and I think it's even worse than I remember it being last year! 

Too much in one day IMO. 120 presses in there and 2 fly variations on top is a lot.

Cut down the volume and increase the weights, alternate between a press and a fly movement. Aim to get your benching numbers up and once they are consistent (say 70-80kg and able to do it consistently, not just one off maxes) and at this point then up the number of reps again.

Also found that DB press helped me massively, both for size and increasing strength as requires much more stabilization.

Good man, cheers :thumbsup:

How many reps should I be aiming for?  I always see 3 to 8 written down, but 3 doesn't seem like enough, and 8 seems like too many still.

Instead of 10 reps of 50, should I be going for 5 of 60?

Good man, cheers :thumbsup:

How many reps should I be aiming for? I always see 3 to 8 written down, but 3 doesn't seem like enough, and 8 seems like too many still.

Instead of 10 reps of 50, should I be going for 5 of 60?

I always find 5-6 reps a good balance. Instead of say 4 sets of 10 reps (40 total) at 50kg try 5 sets of 6 reps (30 total) at 60kg.

Use the fact that there are less reps to build up the amount you are pressing and then once you are managing that comfortably try adding extra reps back on the sets (so eventual aim to be 60kg for 8-10 reps for 4-5 sets)

Im quite into keeping it sinple and not overthinking it, less exercises but make them more effective. A typical chest workout for me would look something like... (unless I am following a specific routine like GVT or 531)

Barbell press: 80kg x 10, 100kg x 8, 120kg x 6, 120kg x 6

Cable flyes: 7 plates 4 sets of 12

DB incline press: 35kg DBs x 10, 40kg DBs x 8, 45kg DBs x 6, 50kg DBs x 6

Pec deck - Light weight for 4 sets of 10

And done.

Will occasionally drop reps and up weights or vice versa just to change it up but gives you a rough idea.

Governor Tarkin

This German Volume Training some of you lot have mentioned above, has anyone tried it, and if so how did you get on?

I've been training on and off for years and find it difficult to put on weight, and if my training is interrupted for a couple of weeks for whatever reason the weight and strength gains just evaporate. Work commitments mean my training and eating are pretty good for 5 weeks then can be not so good for 5 weeks.

I'd be interested in giving this a go if anyone thinks it might be worth it.

Cheers.

This German Volume Training some of you lot have mentioned above, has anyone tried it, and if so how did you get on?

I've been training on and off for years and find it difficult to put on weight, and if my training is interrupted for a couple of weeks for whatever reason the weight and strength gains just evaporate. Work commitments mean my training and eating are pretty good for 5 weeks then can be not so good for 5 weeks.

I'd be interested in giving this a go if anyone thinks it might be worth it.

Cheers.

Yes I have tried it. Would say it gave me the most strength progression I have had. (as in most increase in a short period of time) as otherwise it was a slow process.

Brutally effective but also brutal. I couldn't do any more than 6 weeks without burning out tbh.

If you struggle to put on weight and lose size quickly I'd hazard a guess you have a v fast metabolism so probably need to eat a fair amount to gain and maintain weight. Easiest bang for your buck is calorie dense stuff like oats or add in some fats like olive oil, 100 cals per teaspoon or something like that.