Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I'm back into the gym after getting over back and shoulder injuries. Looking for another one or two leg exercises too add to my routine. I'm pretty well covered for upper body stuff, but I do two leg & core sessions a week and I feel my second one could do with another exercise at least.

1st session I'm doing back squat, front squat, single leg squats (using dumbbells with resting leg behind me on a bench) and calf raises.

2nd session I'm doing deadlifts, Romanian deadlifts and Zercher squats.

It's the second session I'm really looking to add to and I was thinking about adding some walking dumbbell lunges to it. Problem is the gym is pretty small and I'd struggle to get more than maybe 4 walking lunges in so I'm considering static lunges.

1st session I think I could maybe squeeze in another exercise after the calf raises but not another squatting movement. Any thoughts? The gym I use doesn't have a leg press machine but plenty dumbbells and a squat rack.

Cheers.

Standing/seated Curls and Stiff legged dead.

I'm trying to stick to free weights only. I really struggle using the machine for hamstring curls or leg extension because of an old rugby injury on my knee.

Would you recommend SDL and Romanian DL in the same session, or split over two?

Any thoughts on lunges? Either barbell or dumbbell?

I was also considering cleans as I struggle to work my calfs. Not power cleans, nowhere near that yet but with a bar from thigh height. I'm currently doing calf raises with a bar and my toes on plates because there's no calf raise machine.

I'm trying to stick to free weights only. I really struggle using the machine for hamstring curls or leg extension because of an old rugby injury on my knee.

Would you recommend SDL and Romanian DL in the same session, or split over two?

Any thoughts on lunges? Either barbell or dumbbell?

I was also considering cleans as I struggle to work my calfs. Not power cleans, nowhere near that yet but with a bar from thigh height. I'm currently doing calf raises with a bar and my toes on plates because there's no calf raise machine.

Can you curl with a dumbell trapped between your feet?.

I use lunges very rarely, walking around the gym, some prefer the smith.

Bodyweight raises on a stair and my roof work take care of ma calfs, ill do calfs on a smith seated and press machine when I feel I need it.

Sumos deads and squats for inner and outer thighs, along with stiff deads.

Lunges, you can stand with a barbell between you legs and lunge.(Kai Green style)

Can you curl with a dumbell trapped between your feet?.

I use lunges very rarely, walking around the gym, some prefer the smith.

Bodyweight raises on a stair and my roof work take care of ma calfs, ill do calfs on a smith seated and press machine when I feel I need it.

Sumos deads and squats for inner and outer thighs, along with stiff deads.

Lunges, you can stand with a barbell between you legs and lunge.(Kai Green style)

Cheers. Sumo DL might actually be better for me than just the standard DL given my lower back issues.

Last question; my first leg session is clearly pretty much squat focused with back, front and single leg. If I was also to add lunging to that session it's another squat-type based exercise.

If I was to add sumo DL and/or SLDL to my second session that would be 4 potentially 4 DL based exercises in the second work out.

I've started using supersets to overload on my upper body workouts, but I'd be worried about burning out on my leg sessions by having too many of the same type of movement in a single session. Should I be thinking about breaking the movements up over the two sessions? Something like;

Session 1 - back squat, Romanian DL, single leg squat, sumo DL, lunges

Session 2 - front squat, deadlift, straight leg DL, Zercher squats, calf raises

Or would lots of similar type exercises help on the same basis supersetting does with upper body? My main concerns is obviously fatigue leading to injury.

Open to anyone else chipping in with any advice also. It's all appreciated.

Cheers. Sumo DL might actually be better for me than just the standard DL given my lower back issues.

I find the opposite, for me lower back is always worked hard with sumo DLs.

Last question; my first leg session is clearly pretty much squat focused with back, front and single leg. If I was also to add lunging to that session it's another squat-type based exercise.

If I was to add sumo DL and/or SLDL to my second session that would be 4 potentially 4 DL based exercises in the second work out.

I've started using supersets to overload on my upper body workouts, but I'd be worried about burning out on my leg sessions by having too many of the same type of movement in a single session. Should I be thinking about breaking the movements up over the two sessions? Something like;

Or would lots of similar type exercises help on the same basis supersetting does with upper body? My main concerns is obviously fatigue leading to injury.

IMO what you are doing is more than enough variety. If anything I would say too much. Lots of heavy compound movements put a lot of strain on ligaments and tendons as well as muscles but these don't recover as quickly, so too many isn't always a good thing.

I would maybe pick a variant of squat and deadlift and focus on going heavier on those and rotating them each week or so and supplementing that with seated leg raises, light SLDL/defecit DLs, DB lunges etc. If you are squatting and deadlifting with enough intensity you won't want to do more variations let alone need to.

Just my opinion though, many ways to reach the same end goal...

switch front squat with lunge or single leg squat, they're the same thing really.

sumo DL are heavy on the back.

Edited by aussieh

Legs

Leg extensions(pre exhaust/warm up), Heavy Squats/leg press(alternate), seated curls, stiff leg dl, front squat(burn out set) calf raise.

Sometimes I just Squat extremely heavy, 2 rep, 6 to 8 set.

Is your genre, powerlifting?

I like PL but also like Strongman and BBing too, just love lifting stuff and pushing myself lol. Tbh my training recently has been mainly boxing-focused though as my cardio is appalling and had a few injuries which have restricted my lifting past 3 months.

Question for the runners out there since I've been doing a bit recently, what would you say is a decent pace for a 5km? Someone said to me anything sub 30 mins?

I like PL but also like Strongman and BBing too, just love lifting stuff and pushing myself lol. Tbh my training recently has been mainly boxing-focused though as my cardio is appalling and had a few injuries which have restricted my lifting past 3 months.

Question for the runners out there since I've been doing a bit recently, what would you say is a decent pace for a 5km? Someone said to me anything sub 30 mins?

20 to 25 mins.

20 to 25 mins.

Cool. I have some work to do then!

Setting myself some targets for the end of the year, want to be able to run a decent 5km while hitting a few strength goals so that I know I have a reasonable fitness level.

Sacked off cardio for way too long in pursuit of heavy lifts and now I am paying the price, I get out of breath just thinking about running haha

Cool. I have some work to do then!

Setting myself some targets for the end of the year, want to be able to run a decent 5km while hitting a few strength goals so that I know I have a reasonable fitness level.

Sacked off cardio for way too long in pursuit of heavy lifts and now I am paying the price, I get out of breath just thinking about running haha

find a slight incline course, goal 30 35 minutes. Fitness and lung capacity will be great, I'm a bit of a lazy bugger myself at the minute, I did a 28 minute 5km, a fortnight ago. Sitting at 18 st 7lb at the minute. 16st is the target for Santa.

find a slight incline course, goal 30 35 minutes. Fitness and lung capacity will be great, I'm a bit of a lazy bugger myself at the minute, I did a 28 minute 5km, a fortnight ago. Sitting at 18 st 7lb at the minute. 16st is the target for Santa.

I ran 3km earlier in 25 mins but that was before skipping and bag work. Will need to get out to the park and try running 5km and see how long it takes me before it starts getting too cold

I ran 3km earlier in 25 mins but that was before skipping and bag work. Will need to get out to the park and try running 5km and see how long it takes me before it starts getting too cold

Stepper and incline treadmill, big man.

Zercher? whats your take, id never heard of it, befor bert mentioned it.

Whos the greatest Mr O, this year was odd with Kai and Phil was off. Im a big fan of Cedric McMillan.

Edited by aussieh

Stepper and incline treadmill, big man.

Zercher? whats your take, id never heard of it, befor bert mentioned it.

Never tried them. Looks like a front squat except the person is about to drop the bar. Louie Simmons rates them so thats a seal of approval if ever there was one.

Whos the greatest Mr O, this year was odd with Kai and Phil was off. Im a big fan of Cedric McMillan.

I like Cedric, good symmetry. Fave ever Mr O is probs Samir Bannout. Really like Dorian too but think people trying to match up with the sheer mass he carried was the beginning of the end for Mr O when insulin, HGH etc became far more prominent, as did the big distended guts.

Some greats who haven't won it, liked Levrone and also big Victor Richards was a monster. Fan of Lee Priest too. Met Branch Warren and he came across as a sound guy.

Kind of losing interest with the Olympia these days though, it has become a bit of a freak show

Lee Priest :D his take on Boston.

Arnie is God, Love Dorian, I use his training. Jay is a class act, but Steve Reeves is the greatest for me, a build I think I could achieve.

Zercher? Is it good?

I like them. As has been said, similar to front squat but works the core more.

And biceps. Think they're quite common with strongman type exercises as they're good for also developing strength for stuff like atlas stones, not that I do it for that.

I just find they're a better all body exercise than front squat which is why I also do them.

I'm not a particularly heavy lifter, certainly not right now, but even still I find I need a bit padding on the bar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they're good for also developing strength for stuff like atlas stones, not that I do it for that.

Was thinking exactly this when I saw them.

Was thinking exactly this when I saw them.

They're an absolute bitch for core too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Genetics are everything in this game.

Of course hard work and proper nutrition are key factors, but genetics trumps all of that, by a country mile.

It?s depressing seeing your mates surpass you in terms of strength and muscle gains, when they don?t even go to the gym frequently or eat above their maintenance.

I guess that?s how it is in all aspects of life, oh well.

Of course hard work and proper nutrition are key factors, but genetics trumps all of that, by a country mile.

It?s depressing seeing your mates surpass you in terms of strength and muscle gains, when they don?t even go to the gym frequently or eat above their maintenance.

Agree.

Have a lot of friends who pack on muscle with ease, takes real effort for me and I lose it again in no time if I don't stay consistent.

Governor Tarkin

It's a bummer :(

RS86, I've just finished my second week of GVT.

I hurt.

Finding it difficult to get the CV going on my 'off' days though. Getting old.

I'm out on a five week on/off rotation at work so will stick with it for the duration then drop back to something less demanding for a couple of weeks when I get home.

Enjoying it so far, cheers :)

It's a bummer :(

RS86, I've just finished my second week of GVT.

I hurt.

Finding it difficult to get the CV going on my 'off' days though. Getting old.

I'm out on a five week on/off rotation at work so will stick with it for the duration then drop back to something less demanding for a couple of weeks when I get home.

Enjoying it so far, cheers :)

Really is brutal eh. Tbh you are probably fine without doing CV on GVT in my opinion as it is very demanding and really taxes your CNS as it is. The volume alone gives you a good cardio workout.

Stuart McNeill

Just curious, if anyone has had an issue with sore shins when only running on a treadmill. Gave a Google and shin splints but this pain comes after only about 1 minute of running.

And having an imbalance in muscles in the biceps, my right arm is generally stronger than my left. Best way to solve it?

Been training since i was 18 and now in my late 30s the motivation is somewhat going.

Have to drag myself along and i find myself skipping training.

Thinking about getting some home equipment such as a treadmill and weight bench. Best place to buy?

I've been eating so much absolute rubbish lately. Need to cut it all out starting tomorrow (aware this is a bit 'u ok hun' but if I don't post it somewhere I won't ****ing do it  :toilet: )

Just curious, if anyone has had an issue with sore shins when only running on a treadmill. Gave a Google and shin splints but this pain comes after only about 1 minute of running.

And having an imbalance in muscles in the biceps, my right arm is generally stronger than my left. Best way to solve it?

I have flat feet (over-pronation) which causes me to get shin splints very quickly when I run and after a long walk as well.

I get insoles for boots, blue superfeet help. and you can get running trainers for over-pronators which have added support in the instep and heel and a wider sole for stability. I use Asics gel foundation.

First off, check with a medical professional that you actually have over-pronating feet. If you do, the above will help

Also, set the treadmill at an incline. I usually start about 3 degrees. You will feel it more in your calves and will probably have to slow the belt down a touch

go higher if you still feel it in you shins and lower if you're calves are burning. It's just about finding the incline that suits best.

And never go road running (if you are an over-pronator) it'll ****ing kill you!

As for the bigger bicep, Almost everyone I've ever spoken to has one side stronger/bigger than the other on some muscle groups.

The advice I've always been give is train both equally. They're may always be a discrepancy, deal with it.

Don't try to over compensate and build up the weak side by doing more on it.

And never do more with your strong side, just because you can, as it will only exacerbate the issue 

Particularly if lifting with dumb bells, 1 side at a time, start with your weaker arm, do as much as you can then match it with the strong arm, doing the same number of reps.

Edited by davie1980

Really is brutal eh. Tbh you are probably fine without doing CV on GVT in my opinion as it is very demanding and really taxes your CNS as it is. The volume alone gives you a good cardio workout.

Im struggling for time for the gym at the minute.

Todays workout

Squat 4sets pyramid up to 140kg 15 12 10 8 reps

db press 35?4sets pyramid up to 40kg dbs

Deadlift same as squat

Db Shoulder press 4sets pyramid up 35kg dbs

Leg press 4sets up to 200kg(its the max of the machine)

Cable fly 4sets 8reps most muscular pose.

Single arm rows 4 set 10 up to 50kg dbs

Shrugs 2 sets of how many I could do 40kg dbs.

Calves sorted at work on roofs

Arms will have to do with chest, back and shoulders.

Do you think this would get me by for a month, once a week.

Edited by aussieh

Im struggling for time for the gym at the minute.

Todays workout

Squat 4sets pyramid up to 140kg 15 12 10 8 reps

db press 35?4sets pyramid up to 40kg dbs

Deadlift same as squat

Db Shoulder press 4sets pyramid up 35kg dbs

Leg press 4sets up to 200kg(its the max of the machine)

Cable fly 4sets 8reps most muscular pose.

Single arm rows 4 set 10 up to 50kg dbs

Shrugs 2 sets of how many I could do 40kg dbs.

Calves sorted at work on roofs

Arms will have to do with chest, back and shoulders.

Do you think this would get me by for a month, once a week.

Obv wont be optimal but looks quite intense so would hope so as long as it isn't for too long. Something is always going to be better than nothing.

Plus as long as it isn't too long term your body will be grateful of the extra rest too

• 2 weeks later...

my misses bakes cakes for a living so im gonna never get in shape

Just train twice as hard, that way you can eat twice as much cake :).

Tbh that must make it difficult, I can never manage to resist when I take the kids to a birthday party and there's cake going free.

Morning fellow jambos,

I currently work in the membership dept at Virgin Active at Fountain Park and just wanted to let you guys know of current deals/offers

The club recently had a ?1.8million refurb including a brand new 62 bike spin studio so it's looking really nice

We are currently offering NO JOINING FEE and DECEMBER FREE meaning nothing to pay until January. We have reduced rates for 18-25 yr olds, 55+ And off peak memberships too.bee also offer corporate discount depending where you work and also Edinburgh Council discount.

I'm also currently in talks with hearts to try get a discount for all season ticket holders

If anyone is interested then just reply here or get me direct on [email protected] or on 0131 221 8013

Thanks guys

Tash

So how is everyones training going gearing up to the calorie laden festive period?

I quit the gym last week once I realised it's all due to genetics. Training hard and eating well, whilst of course beneficial, has absolutely nothing on genetics.

Was training for four months straight, eating at a caloric surplus and doing everything else right. Still the same skinny-fat guy that I started off as.

Decided I was better off quiting, saving money and eating what I feel like. Who knows, might get a burst of motivation next year but it will be the same story again.

So how is everyones training going gearing up to the calorie laden festive period?

I'll be hitting it hard during my holidays, to make up for the last 2 months.

My weights dropped, so that will do for now.

Yourself?.

Edited by aussieh

I quit the gym last week once I realised it's all due to genetics. Training hard and eating well, whilst of course beneficial, has absolutely nothing on genetics.

Was training for four months straight, eating at a caloric surplus and doing everything else right. Still the same skinny-fat guy that I started off as.

Decided I was better off quiting, saving money and eating what I feel like. Who knows, might get a burst of motivation next year but it will be the same story again.

Genetics play a big part but they are not the be all and end all. You can still build an impressive physique naturally with bad genetics, its just more frustrating as it takes much longer and much more effort (as in years of consistency) to get the results so I can see how people get disheartened.

The way I often look at it re genetics is there are women competing naturally with good amounts of muscle tissue developed and maintained on high levels of estrogen and low levels of testosterone - a man will always have this hormonal advantage, there is genetics right there.

I'm at the point where I have come to terms with the fact I will never be truly lean (never going to have a six pack) as I am not built that way but I can still gain size and strength so I worry more about that and still eat pizza, drink ale on occasion etc.

I'll be hitting it hard during my holidays, to make up for the last 2 months.

My weights dropped, so that will do for now.

Yourself?.

Getting back in to it, feels like I have started over again tbh but I am enjoying it. Had a long lay off for various reason and the times I did train it was halfhearted seesions so strength has dropped off massively and I went from being 14st 5 to 12st 10!! Gonna keep it strict over winter though, train hard and eat plenty but avoid all the sugary crap.