Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Getting back in to it, feels like I have started over again tbh but I am enjoying it. Had a long lay off for various reason and the times I did train it was halfhearted seesions so strength has dropped off massively and I went from being 14st 5 to 12st 10!! Gonna keep it strict over winter though, train hard and eat plenty but avoid all the sugary crap.

I'm gonnae go back to Kris Gethins 12 week hardcore training.That's what I started with, so I'll see if it works again.

I'm gonnae go back to Kris Gethins 12 week hardcore training.That's what I started with, so I'll see if it works again.

Nice. Gives you a bit of structure for 3 months :). Im doing bodybuilding focused training for a bit until I am fully back in the swing of things and put some weight back on and then probs 531 to push my numbers back up.

So how is everyones training going gearing up to the calorie laden festive period?

Injuries!

Neck and back niggles, always worse at this time of year when the colder weather comes in.

in between times, struggling for motivation, just get started and hit another neck sprain or tweak my back again. 

And don't start me on this recurring ache in my left elbow

It's been a slow 3 months

Injuries!

Neck and back niggles, always worse at this time of year when the colder weather comes in.

in between times, struggling for motivation, just get started and hit another neck sprain or tweak my back again. 

And don't start me on this recurring ache in my left elbow

It's been a slow 3 months

Went through this myself a bit over the last year with small niggles in my back, shoulder and left knee. You're right the cold really doesn't help.

I think time off has done me good because I have had to step back a bit and not train as heavily and the rest seems to have sorted my knee and shoulder out too.

• 2 weeks later...

Went through this myself a bit over the last year with small niggles in my back, shoulder and left knee. You're right the cold really doesn't help.

I think time off has done me good because I have had to step back a bit and not train as heavily and the rest seems to have sorted my knee and shoulder out too.

WSM?, who's gonna win.

Do Mark or Eddie have a chance?.

I don't know the result, looking forward to watching the Final, hope big Thor wins if Mark or Eddie don't.

Edited by aussieh

WSM?, who's gonna win.

Do Mark or Eddie have a chance?.

I don't know the result, looking forward to watching the Final, hope big Thor wins if Mark or Eddie don't.

Watched it all back in summer bud ;)

Pretty big into strongman so would have found out who won if I hadn't seen it because my mates would've said.

What I will say is it was really good. Humidity at this years comp was supposedly outrageous which made it tough for everyone.

Watched it all back in summer bud ;)

Pretty big into strongman so would have found out who won if I hadn't seen it because my mates would've said.

What I will say is it was really good. Humidity at this years comp was supposedly outrageous which made it tough for everyone.

I thought you may have seen it.

Well done Big Brian.

Eddie is some deadlifter, crazy weights he's been shifting, what do think of his progress and do you think he's a potential champion?.

I'm thinking of shifting to strongman/powerlifting myself, any programs you can recommend?

Cheers bud.

I thought you may have seen it.

Well done Big Brian.

Eddie is some deadlifter, crazy weights he's been shifting, what do think of his progress and do you think he's a potential champion?.

I'm thinking of shifting to strongman/powerlifting myself, any programs you can recommend?

Cheers bud.

Phenomenal athletes. Yeah I think Eddie def has it in him to win it, his weakness is his events but he has been working on them a lot since the summer so next year could be his time. Has better static strength than Thor but Thor has more speed and better technique in a lot of events. Obv if Shaw is in similar form next year he could win it again though. Big Z is done IMO but you never know, such a good all-rounder.

I'd suggest trying one of the Wendler 531 templates, pretty good routine. I did a variation of 531 for strongman which I enjoyed and brought my lifts on. For strongman plenty of events training is the key though, all good being strong but def need to work on technique as well. 

Not really fitness related but does anyone have any tips on how to sort out posture?

Mines is terrible. Constantly got a hunched back and rounded shoulders.

Struggle to sit up straight for more than a few minutes. I work at a desk all day and the only comfortable position is when I'm slouched back in the chair.

It looks terrible so I need to get it sorted.

Edited by Quartex

Not really fitness related but does anyone have any tips on how to sort out posture?

Mines is terrible. Constantly got a hunched back and rounded shoulders.

Struggle to sit up straight for more than a few minutes. I work at a desk all day and the only comfortable position is when I'm slouched back in the chair.

It looks terrible so I need to get it sorted.

I work in an office as well so I know what you mean.

Deadlifting, squatting and strengthening your core will sort out the back issues.

Stretching and also working on rear delts helps balance shoulders. Leaning forward tends to lead to front delt dominance as they are engaged far more from leaning forward at a computer.

For advice on stretches to do I recommend looking at Kelly Starret mobility videos on Youtube. He is awesome for mobility work and stretches.

Should add the deadlifting/squats doesn't have to be overly heavy, just enough to strengthen your core and muscles around your back and abdomen.

Cheers RS86.

Separately, I've got an interview in approximately five days and as part of the assessment I'm required to run 1.5 miles in 12 minutes.

Will be a piece of piss for most on here but I've always struggled with cardio.

Went out for a run today and managed 1.5 miles in 12 minutes 30 seconds. That was me pushing it to the max.

What's the likelyhood I can cut 30 seconds off my run time in five days? Not sure how much 30 seconds is in running terms and whether or not it would be a realistic goal in such a short timescale.

Cheers RS86.

Separately, I've got an interview in approximately five days and as part of the assessment I'm required to run 1.5 miles in 12 minutes.

Went out for a run today and managed 1.5 miles in 12 minutes 30 seconds. That was me pushing it to the max.

What's the likelyhood I can cut 30 seconds off my run time in five days? Not sure how much 30 seconds is in running terms and whether or not it would be a realistic goal in such a short timescale.

Doable if you just ran for the first time in ages. Maybe not if you've been at it a while.

Mr Brightside

Cheers RS86.

You will get an adrenaline buzz on the day of your test and run quicker. Maybe do a slowish 1mile run a couple of days before to keep your legs loose for the day.

Back into it this week. 2 days of small amount of running got alot of equipment at home so have dusted them off.

Going to really smash it the next couple of months but i have never really ran much. So i am feeling very sore. Probably trying to lug a 15 stone weight about doesnt help.

Hoping to get back down to 12 stone odds and tone up a bit

Cheers RS86.

How did the run go?

• 2 weeks later...
Generic Username

I ruined all the cartilage in my knee last February and was only just cleared to get back running/the gym/football last week.

Those first couple of runs were as close to death as I've ever come. I went for a run on Saturday morning and my legs are still in bits. It's going to take an age to get back to where I was pre injury.

How did the run go?

Let's not talk about it. :lol:

I ruined all the cartilage in my knee last February and was only just cleared to get back running/the gym/football last week.

Those first couple of runs were as close to death as I've ever come. I went for a run on Saturday morning and my legs are still in bits. It's going to take an age to get back to where I was pre injury.

How far you go? 

Generic Username

Let's not talk about it. :lol:

How far you go?

I did just shy of 3k on Thursday in a quote shameful time compared to what I used to batter it out in. Then I did just over 7k on Saturday.

It'll take some time to start incorporating sprints again I think but I'm just delighted my knee didn't disintegrate after a year of no activity.

I did just shy of 3k on Thursday in a quote shameful time compared to what I used to batter it out in. Then I did just over 7k on Saturday.

It'll take some time to start incorporating sprints again I think but I'm just delighted my knee didn't disintegrate after a year of no activity.

It'll take time but good on you for getting out and going for it. Nust build it back up gradually.

Did you have an arthroscopy done? I had one when I was around 19/20 and although it still gives me bother very occasionally I am able to train hard without it causing me too many issues these days.

7k after a year off must have been hard going!

Generic Username

It'll take time but good on you for getting out and going for it. Nust build it back up gradually.

Did you have an arthroscopy done? I had one when I was around 19/20 and although it still gives me bother very occasionally I am able to train hard without it causing me too many issues these days.

7k after a year off must have been hard going!

It was my posterior meniscus that I tore to smithereens. By the time I'd been referred on the NHS and been seen by various people and plonked into various machines it had "healed" but there was a lot of scar tissue and a bit of fluid behind the knee, along with the knee sitting naturally further forward due to months of not being able to move it properly.

It's taken a raft of shit physio and all kinds of daft exercises and stretches to get it moving and feeling right again but being out the loop in terms of physical activity for so long means despite having the all clear, I'm still quite apprehensive about going tonto on it.

Another 4k done tonight and a pretty relaxed game of 5s tomorrow. Hoping to be back to some half decent level of fitness to catch the let few games of my teams season. But knowing my luck, I'll break or sprain something else!

It was my posterior meniscus that I tore to smithereens. By the time I'd been referred on the NHS and been seen by various people and plonked into various machines it had "healed" but there was a lot of scar tissue and a bit of fluid behind the knee, along with the knee sitting naturally further forward due to months of not being able to move it properly.

It's taken a raft of shit physio and all kinds of daft exercises and stretches to get it moving and feeling right again but being out the loop in terms of physical activity for so long means despite having the all clear, I'm still quite apprehensive about going tonto on it.

Another 4k done tonight and a pretty relaxed game of 5s tomorrow. Hoping to be back to some half decent level of fitness to catch the let few games of my teams season. But knowing my luck, I'll break or sprain something else!

Sounds horrific! I can understand you not wanting to do too much too soon tbh. A perfect example is El Hass ;).

You doing anything to strengthen the muscles around your knee? I was advised by an NHS physio to do leg raises after my injury but long chain exercises are the worst you can do lol. I would suggest some light leg pressing to get it used to heavier loads and help flexibility but nothing too extreme obviously.

Generic Username

Sounds horrific! I can understand you not wanting to do too much too soon tbh. A perfect example is El Hass ;).

You doing anything to strengthen the muscles around your knee? I was advised by an NHS physio to do leg raises after my injury but long chain exercises are the worst you can do lol. I would suggest some light leg pressing to get it used to heavier loads and help flexibility but nothing too extreme obviously.

I got a raft of fairly generic exercises to begin with from my physio which then got tailored more and more as the injury corrected itself, along with multiple resistance bands. Was told to get back to the gym now to do leg presses and all your other "meat and veg" leg exercises to properly build up the muscle again.

Still powering on with the running. Going out last night was...interesting to say the least! I think having the wind behind me cut my time down by about 10 minutes!

Still powering on with the running. Going out last night was...interesting to say the least! I think having the wind behind me cut my time down by about 10 minutes!

Haha, wouldn't have fancied that much myself. Could have jumped and went forward 10 metres effortlessly :)

Week worth of lost gains, that'll take some hard work though :)

Early mornings, late nights, double sessions. Easy :)

Good to have the gym back open!

I'm away to Tenerife on Thursday, could have done without missing the past 4 sessions.

Nevermind big cut is for Summer anyway.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone still persevering with their training after the new years resolutions?

Have noticed the gym I train at has started to quiten back down (quite glad tbh :))

I haven't trained since the first week of November.

If I don't get back soon, I'll chuck it.

Hard to get motivated again eh. I had a spell like this tail end of last year before I got the drive back.

Hard to get motivated again eh. I had a spell like this tail end of last year before I got the drive back.

Getting auld

I need to drop weight and generally get fitter for work and i've got about a month to do so.

I'm not massively overweight, I just let a 3 week trip to Las Vegas into Christmas and New Year continue my lack of physical exercise.

What would you guys reccommend?

Is it worth paying for a PT?

I'm not currently doing anything and looking for advice where to start.

I need to drop weight and generally get fitter for work and i've got about a month to do so.

I'm not massively overweight, I just let a 3 week trip to Las Vegas into Christmas and New Year continue my lack of physical exercise.

What would you guys reccommend?

Is it worth paying for a PT?

I'm not currently doing anything and looking for advice where to start.

Best place to start is diet. Just from carrying less weight and eating better you will feel a difference. Start small, little changes hear and there. Too much too soon and you will just bail on the diet. Good place to start is cut out sugary stuff.

What kind of work do you do?

PTs are a waste of money IMO as a lot of the time you can find a useful workout programme online and follow it. One thing it does offer I suppose though is the support and someone there to motivate you.

Trying to get fit and was using the bike at work 30 minutes 4/5 days a week.then got roped into a metafit class on Tuesday wow sore till Friday could not bend to put my socks on

• 2 weeks later...

Ran my first 5k today for more than 10 years. Chuffed but ****ed.

Lost around a stone since the new year and not carrying that weight is incredible. Going to try and lose another stone by June which is realistic and hopefully get up to the 10k which is my target.

As a off note...anyone else suffer tendonitis? I get it in the ankle not had recently but the worry is always there. Anything I can do to try and prevent it?

Ran my first 5k today for more than 10 years. Chuffed but messed.

Lost around a stone since the new year and not carrying that weight is incredible. Going to try and lose another stone by June which is realistic and hopefully get up to the 10k which is my target.

As a off note...anyone else suffer tendonitis? I get it in the ankle not had recently but the worry is always there. Anything I can do to try and prevent it?

I have gone the opposite way with weight since new year (intentionally) and it def makes a difference being that little bit lighter.

Had tendonitis before, unfortunately found only way to let it clear was resting and not exercising on it when it was bad. If it is mild try either glucosamine sulphate or cissus though, both are ace for joint health/pain.

Stuart McNeill

So due to a five a side injury. (no collision or being tackled) I over extended my knee and felt like it was about to snap.

Finally took the time to get it checked out and I have damaged ligaments, so no more leg workouts for me as I don't feel confident at all doing them.

Will probably just keep doing upper body though.

Nothing worse than the thought of losing at least 10 weeks of leg gains before I even get an appointment for physio.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

My Sunday morning training consisted of some stone loading, log press, farmers walk, few yolk runs and finished off by deadlifting a Vauxhall Zafira for a few sets. Fair to say I have been f****d ever since :)

My Sunday morning training consisted of some stone loading, log press, farmers walk, few yolk runs and finished off by deadlifting a Vauxhall Zafira for a few sets. Fair to say I have been *****d ever since :)

Where do I get this type of training, sounds fun.

Where do I get this type of training, sounds fun.

The gym has recently opened, a rented unit in an old nightclub with some outdoor space too. Perfectly timed too as I have a comp in a few weeks time. Was awesome fun but feeling it now big time!

There will be somewhere fairly local to you that is kitted out for strongman surely.

My mate got a vid of the car deadlifts for me :)

The gym has recently opened, a rented unit in an old nightclub with some outdoor space too. Perfectly timed too as I have a comp in a few weeks time. Was awesome fun but feeling it now big time!

There will be somewhere fairly local to you that is kitted out for strongman surely.

My mate got a vid of the car deadlifts for me :)

Theres nothing that I know of out my way.

We have planet bodybuild, but no strongman.

Ive a van I can pull, lift or push along with assorted roofing material.

But seriously, I'll travel no problem, cause I think this might be what I'm looking for.

Theres nothing that I know of out my way.

We have planet bodybuild, but no strongman.

Ive a van I can pull, lift or push along with assorted roofing material.

But seriously, I'll travel no problem, cause I think this might be what I'm looking for.

Try searching on google/FB. A lot of crossfit gyms are also equipped for strongman, I'd imagine there must be a few of these in Oz.

Try searching on google/FB. A lot of crossfit gyms are also equipped for strongman, I'd imagine there must be a few of these in Oz.

I'm out Paisley way bud.

That's my name.

I'm out Paisley way bud.

That's my name.

Ah right hahaha I always just assumed you were in Australia from your username pmsl.

In that case there is a place called 'x-fit Paisley' that seem to have some SM equipment.

A little further afield you have 'Glasgow Strength' over that way too, they hold comps quite often for SM and powerlifting and have all the kit.

Ah right hahaha I always just assumed you were in Australia from your username pmsl.

In that case there is a place called 'x-fit Paisley' that seem to have some SM equipment.

A little further afield you have 'Glasgow Strength' over that way too, they hold comps quite often for SM and powerlifting and have all the kit.

Cheers bud.

I thought the X-fit, was all that body weight, ropes and straps sort of thing. I'll check it out.

Thanks