Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Creepy Lurker

Got my bench 3RM back up to 90kg yesterday. Given I couldn't bend my arm less than five months ago I'd say that's okay progress.

Doing Madcows 5x5 before, it's worked for me in the past and I like it.

This time of year is a ****ing nightmare for keeping weight off. Got meals/drinks planned solid every week until new year. January will be a Spartan month.

This time of year is a ******* nightmare for keeping weight off. Got meals/drinks planned solid every week until new year. January will be a Spartan month.

Dem gainz tho

The People's Chimp

This time of year is a ******* nightmare for keeping weight off. Got meals/drinks planned solid every week until new year. January will be a Spartan month.

A work christmas night friday, wedding saturday, wedding sunday. More christmas stuff the weekend after, then the actual work lunch on the 23rd. Non stop. I actually can't wait for january already, thinking about how much booze is going to get tucked away. 

Going to a Brazilian steak house for my work Christmas meal. Serious amounts of protein will be consumed- and because it's lunch probably no booze. Mixed feelings about this...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's strange the number of sarcastic posts that appear the second someone asks a question.

The funny thing is, the posters making these sarcastic comments are probably manlets with dat napoleon complex and/or have attained no real muscle gain since they started going to the gym. Probably sitting at around 150lbs of pure skinny-fat.

They like to be known as experts behind the security of an internet forum, but in real life their physique is shit and they like to take their frustration out on new posters asking genuine questions. Quite funny.

Creepy Lurker

Any recommendations for high protein, fairly low carb snacks?

Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, beef jerky.

Creepy Lurker

All in one big bowl.

Tupperware or GTFO.  Mix in 9 scoops of whey protein and bake it for 20 minutes, comes out good as ****.  Tastes just like real cheesecake!

The People's Chimp

Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, beef jerky.

Quite a fan of greek yoghurt and carrots for a mid afternoon snack. Got a big bag of carrots in the fridge at work. Happy days. 

Creepy Lurker

Quite a fan of greek yoghurt and carrots for a mid afternoon snack. Got a big bag of carrots in the fridge at work. Happy days. 

Do you use the yoghurt as a dip or what?  I can't eat the stuff on its own, need to mix in oats/honey/fruit etc and sometimes protein powder.  What's weird is that I actually enjoy it with stuff added but on its own barely even find it palatable.  Genuinely enjoy cottage cheese on its own, though.

The People's Chimp

Do you use the yoghurt as a dip or what?  I can't eat the stuff on its own, need to mix in oats/honey/fruit etc and sometimes protein powder.  What's weird is that I actually enjoy it with stuff added but on its own barely even find it palatable.  Genuinely enjoy cottage cheese on its own, though.

Yeah I use it as a dip. Eat loads of the stuff as we have it with dinner a lot; cook loads of pulses in various spicy sauces and have the yoghurt on the side. With grilled chicken, obvz 

Creepy Lurker

Yeah, I like using it with sauces etc.  It's a good replacement for soured cream in a lot of Mexican style food too (soured cream basically tastes better though so wouldn't cut it out completely).  Don't see how people can sit and eat a bowl of it plain, though.  I can do it with natural yoghurt but not Greek yoghurt.

Snake Plissken

I don't snack much at all, I prefer to divide my daily intake into two enormous meals.

First meal is usually in the afternoon, around 3pm, and the second one is somewhere between 9 and 10pm.  Because both meals are in excess of 1,500 calories, I'm never hungry enough to need a snack.  It's just what fits my schedule best, I work in the evenings and live next door to a supermarket so I usually have all day to buy and prepare my food.  

Have tried plain cottage cheese and the ones with stuff mixed in but just cant get over the texture so just opt for a block of cheddar instead.

I've noticed that I'm not making as much progress as I used to, and I'm convinced it's down to diet.  I usually do 4 gym sessions a week, and sometimes only 3, and I've found a routine that's been working well for me so far, but it could just be this that's needing changed.

I am basically allergic to food, and can't eat eggs, fish, nuts or seeds, and every meal plan I read seems to be "chuck a shit load of nuts on a bit of fish and fry it with an egg".

Do any of you have anything similar, and how do you get around it?

I've noticed that I'm not making as much progress as I used to, and I'm convinced it's down to diet. I usually do 4 gym sessions a week, and sometimes only 3, and I've found a routine that's been working well for me so far, but it could just be this that's needing changed.

I am basically allergic to food, and can't eat eggs, fish, nuts or seeds, and every meal plan I read seems to be "chuck a shit load of nuts on a bit of fish and fry it with an egg".

There's loads of different protein sources you could you if that's what your after. Chicken, turkey, beef, salmon, cod, haddock, tuna, whey shakes.

If you actually want help with your diet. Maybe post what a typical days eating looks like and people will be able to give more specific advice

Creepy Lurker

I've noticed that I'm not making as much progress as I used to, and I'm convinced it's down to diet.  I usually do 4 gym sessions a week, and sometimes only 3, and I've found a routine that's been working well for me so far, but it could just be this that's needing changed.

No need to follow a meal plan and if there are foods you can't eat just replace them with ones you can.  If you can't get your protein from fish and nuts then just replace them with meat and dairy products.  Since you're losing out on the fats from the nuts and seeds I'd replace them with oils (extra virgin olive oil raw, rapeseed or coconut oil for cooking) and full-fat dairy products.  Your only major loss really is oily fish, so in your place I'd consider an algae based omega 3 supplement.  Otherwise as TheOak88 says it's difficult to help without knowing what your diet looks like now.

Hi guys, I've switched up slightly and am now going to the gym early in the morning before work. Can anyone recommend a decent snack for to have after my work-out so I resist the temptation to just eat biscuits and cake once I get to my desk? I'm lazy and although a keen gym go-er I'm not particularly serious about my training, I just go because I enjoy it and to keep in reasonable shape, so I ain't spending my evenings blending or juicing crap.

A banana and a decent quality breakfast bar or something?

The People's Chimp

My gym has just started a big push on that les mills GRIT HIIT stuff. I am actually tempted to do it, despite it looking cheesy as **** and despite the fact that I can, obviously do HIIT cardio myself. The truth is though I will lift for an hour or two then be like, it's 10pm and I've not eaten, **** cardio I'm off home. I am resigned to the fact that I like my weekend beers too much as well. With christmas coming, diet - to a fairly big extent - is going out the window. I do think a couple of really intense sessions a week on top of lifting 3 times will work for me and I probably need the structure of a 'class' starting time to make sure I leave the office and go do it. 

Anyone tried it/something similar? 

Guest C00l K1d

Pretty sure les mills is a scam like.

I've done a bit of work for them and from what i've seen it's just a complete sham.  It's essentially a cult of fitness class freaks :laugh:  

I wouldn't recommend it anyway.

Guest C00l K1d

It's nothing to do with the exercise.

The programs are nothing new yet their marketing team spin it as revolutionary and don't let you leave the door without buying the dvd or the cd.

Considering your background i thought you'd be able to see right through this tbf. 

They then create this ''les mills fitness culture'' that get ordinary folk genuinely believing its the be all and end all, pushing it to anyone who will listen.

Edited by The Heartbreak Kid

The People's Chimp

I know the overall les mills thing is bullshit, but Pure are going to start the specific HIIT classes at the gym. I could just do a circuits class instead I suppose. 

Snake Plissken

I'd say Les Mills is better than nothing but if you're serious about making real progress, it'll hold you back.

I used to work for a large gym and I saw people who did Les Mills stuff three times a week or more and they all looked more or less the same after a couple of years.  For them it was more about the social aspect than actually getting in good shape.  They all got particularly weird about Body Combat, it's pretty much dancing while punching and kicking the air and it was really popular, people would practically elbow each other out of the way to run down to reception and sign up to the next class.  They'd wear bandannas and hand wraps to class :rofl: 

There'd always be a big fuss about the next launch, every three months or so there'd be a new edition so there'd be fierce competition to get in.  It was usually the same thing with a couple of new tracks, I have to hand it to LM, those ****ers really know how to market themselves.  Gyms push the **** out of it because it's expensive as hell to license so they need bodies in to justify the cost.  But it's a good tool to recruit and retain new members.  

Overall, I'm just not a fan of classes.  I say that as someone who's participated in and taught them.  

Guest C00l K1d

**** me the body combat :wow:

I had 4 of the instructors screaming at me. Kitted out in bandanas and ufc gloves like you mentioned.

****ing nutters honestly.

I had a serious hate for happy hardcore after that weekend. :laugh:

Les Mills, like a lot of fitness is about effectiveness v enjoyment.

People who know what's most effective for their goals and who do exactly that, are rare.

Most people either don't know what's best for them, or can't motivate themselves to do it, so they do the exercise they enjoy instead, whether it be fives, swimming, Zumba or BodyCombat.

I'll always swap a weights sessions for a game of football if given the chance, even although I know I get better results when lifting regularly and consistently.

Edited by BigC

uMaCem6.png

Done it again already.

Absolutely seething.

2014 has been an absolute *****. Sitting in A&E the now.

:sob:

Edited by Sten Guns

uMaCem6.png

Done it again already.

Absolutely seething.

2014 has been an absolute *****. Sitting in A&E the now.

darren-anderton__46519.jpg

It's Darren "sicknote" Anderton btw, not just some random smiling because you hurt your ankle. :laugh:

Edited by scott_jambo

:lol:

Hate life.

What was the verdict sten?

I slipped off the kerb the other night. No real pain untill around a day later, any walking and the side of my foot gets pretty painful. So swelling or bruising as far as I can see though. Always had bad ankles but just found it wierd I had no pain for around a day, and it's come on now! Anymore that 5 mins walking and I have to start to limp due to pain. Think I might need to get a wee scan if the pain continues over the next few days!

What was the verdict sten?

I slipped off the kerb the other night. No real pain untill around a day later, any walking and the side of my foot gets pretty painful. So swelling or bruising as far as I can see though. Always had bad ankles but just found it wierd I had no pain for around a day, and it's come on now! Anymore that 5 mins walking and I have to start to limp due to pain. Think I might need to get a wee scan if the pain continues over the next few days!

Sounds like you've caught ankle AIDS.

The bad kind.

Probably spread from your bum.