Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

I having been going to the gym for nine months or so,just started doing clean and press. My traps and rear delts are agony, to be expected or poor technique? Any tips

The Mighty JTs

Been a while since I have posted, my main goal for this year is to complete a muscle up, going to try more of a calethstenics programme to try and seriously build my upper body strength and core stability, my gym isn't exactly the most suitable for this but I will make do. Will update on my progress also if anyone has ever done this any tips would be helpful

**** right off sten!!

How are the glass ankles treating you?

Better. It will happen again at some point no doubt though.

The People's Chimp

I've been looking at some ankle supports for 5s so it doesn't happen again. Twice in 5 months for me. Brutal. Still feels dodgy now. The mueller ones look decent, anyone got any experience of using them?

Better. It will happen again at some point no doubt though.

Once it happens once yer fecked. When I was younger, at football training my pal asked if I could jump over a tennis net, and he would give me a pound... Easy quid.. Jumped it, landed then boom over on my ankle. Never been the same since! Didn't even get my pound either

Theory of everything

Need to get myself in shape mainly because I am getting increasingly annoyed at how unflt I am! I've set a target to lose 1.5-2 stone by July. Is that a realistic target I could reach or am i setting myself up to fail?

Need to get myself in shape mainly because I am getting increasingly annoyed at how unflt I am! I've set a target to lose 1.5-2 stone by July. Is that a realistic target I could reach or am i setting myself up to fail?

If Real Maroon has lost 2lb in a week, then yes it is definitely achievable.

I usually blend my breakfast up. Water, oats, frozen blueberries, protein, spinach and organic peanut butter. My question is how long do you think this would keep for after its blended? Couple of hours in the fridge before it settled into a congealed mess?

I usually blend my breakfast up. Water, oats, frozen blueberries, protein, spinach and organic peanut butter. My question is how long do you think this would keep for after its blended? Couple of hours in the fridge before it settled into a congealed mess?

Couple of days I would imagine. Just give it a quick stir.

Get a couple of mcdavid ankle supports. Pretty much bulletproof

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not looked into this in detail but do ankle supports not just make it more likely that you do your knee instead?

Depends what exercise you're doing. If it's a lateral roll type sprain then it gives you a bit more resistance to allow you to absorb impact and land properly. I've done my ankle many times but whilst using these have had no problems with ankle or knee. You are right though potentially you do increase the risk to your knee but your hip/ knee can absorb the impact a great deal better than your ankle which isn't designed to bend that way.

Just don't become too reliant on them as you need to maintain strength in the ankles by training without them on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Generic Username

Getting a bit of jip in my left wrist when I'm bench pressing. I'm sure part of it's down to poor form but is there anything I can to do strengthen it up or am I better getting some straps?

The People's Chimp

Not looked into this in detail but do ankle supports not just make it more likely that you do your knee instead?

Problem for me was someone nailing me in a tackle, where he wrapped his leg around my standing leg from behind and it twisted all my weight on that planted foot. That's now made it prone to going again as I have since found out, and I feel that the odd hard tackle with any kind of twisting motion could make it go again, so an ankle support seems sensible. 

Starting out at virgin active a complete novice this week.

Looking to shed a few stone and get fit. Looked into the theory and detail behind it loads, so I know exactly what I should be doing. It's the motivation of actually putting it in to practice that's been holding me back.

Mainly going to focus on lifting, probably starting with a 5x5 dumbbell program to get a bit of core strength before moving on to free weights 5x5.

Focussed on what I have to do diet wise, going for a relatively low carb and high protein diet which should see me right.

Will probably turn to this thread should I need any pointers or guidance.

Looking to shed a few stone and get fit. Looked into the theory and detail behind it loads, so I know exactly what I should be doing. It's the motivation of actually putting it in to practice that's been holding me back.

Mainly going to focus on lifting, probably starting with a 5x5 dumbbell program to get a bit of core strength before moving on to free weights 5x5.

Focussed on what I have to do diet wise, going for a relatively low carb and high protein diet which should see me right.

Good luck mate.

Going on holiday in a couple of weeks so trying to cut a bit. Been doing some high intensity interval training for the last month or so and seeing some great results so far. Prolonged periods of cardio bore me to tears so short bursts of relatively high intensity suit me perfectly. Anyone else given it a bash?

What have you been doing?

I'm trying to cut and up the cardio, but you're right it is boring as ****.

Believe it or not I'm using the Made in Chelsea fitness DVD :lol:

Bought it for the bird's Christmas but decided to use it myself. It's a 20 minute workout incorporating floor runs, push ups, lunges, squats and other assorted bits and pieces. Follow that up with 20 minutes of yoga/pliates. I'm alternating between lifting 1 night and doing this the next. Also started skipping after my lifts, just going as hard as I can until failure and repeating.

Never felt better.

Bought it for the bird's Christmas but decided to use it myself. It's a 20 minute workout incorporating floor runs, push ups, lunges, squats and other assorted bits and pieces. Follow that up with 20 minutes of yoga/pliates. I'm alternating between lifting 1 night and doing this the next. Also started skipping after my lifts, just going as hard as I can until failure and repeating.

Never felt better.

Try metafit aswell.  Great HIIT exercise & the workouts last a maximum of 25 minutes.

Never felt better.

Incoming Creepy Lurker in 5,4,3,2..

What have you been doing?

I'm trying to cut and up the cardio, but you're right it is boring as ****.

The gym that I use has 10-12 large screen TVs in strategic places, all tuned in to different stations.  That distracts a bit from the tedium of what I'm doing.

I think boredom is a big reason for people dropping out of exercise programs.

Anyone else get massive bruises on their shins doing deadlifts? Think I might need to start wearing football socks or something!

Yup.  That & the constant grazes on my knees from the bar being dragged down my legs.

Bruise gainz :lol:

Enjoying it so far. Just using the machines for lifting at this point to build a bit of initial strength but can already feel the improvements. Been doing HIIT on the bike on non lifting days which makes me feel knackered but gives me a good buzz.

Likely to stay on the machines for a few weeks yet, but in a routine which is the main thing at this point.

Yup.  That & the constant grazes on my knees from the bar being dragged down my legs.

Bruise gainz :lol:

I've tried long socks and I still have cuts, scrapes and bruises. Not sure what else to try and don't fancy putting on a pair of shin pads!

I had the same issue before, invested in a pair of hockey shin guards which sorted me right out. Helped with form too as they push the bar away from your legs :thumbsup:

10500-tron-protective-hockey-shin-guards

Is losing 10lb really going to be that noticeable? Doesn't seem very much.

Week 5 weigh in and I'm 8 lb down.

1 belt notch in and I can fasten my shirt collar!

Started at 12-7, down to 11-13.

Week 5 weigh in and I'm 8 lb down.

1 belt notch in and I can fasten my shirt collar!

Started at 12-7, down to 11-13.

What height are you?

If I weighed 11-13 the last thing I'd need to do would be lose belly fat

Starting back the morra, 8 months out, having a final piss up tonight, cv heavy, and some volume, before I start HIT and power bodybuilding.

Mmm looking forward to porridge and egg whites, peanut butter, chicken and brocculli and protein shakes, worth it though.

Edited by aussieh

You can get a really good workout on a punchbag. Personally think a heavy bag's best. Have you trained in a combat sport before? If not I reckon you'd be better off saving your money and just doing bodyweight stuff for cardio.

Did you get a replacement fight, meant to ask ages ago, and do you fight at the P.O.S.

Starting back the morra, 8 months out, having a final piss up tonight, cv heavy, and some volume, before I start HIT and power bodybuilding.

Mmm looking forward to porridge and egg whites, peanut butter, chicken and broccolli and protein shakes, worth it though.

I had the same issue before, invested in a pair of hockey shin guards which sorted me right out. Helped with form too as they push the bar away from your legs :thumbsup:

10500-tron-protective-hockey-shin-guards

Not a ****ing chance you train in them.

Not a ******* chance you train in them.

Ye mate, how come? They're good for form as I said although I primarily use them so that I don't scrape my legs too much when deadlifting. I only use them on back day, not for chest, shoulders etc. obviously!

And this is when you realise it's all been worth it. All those weeks spent drinking 15 raw egg whites a day. All those hours spent trying to keep up with Binky's explosive star jumps on the MIC:fit DVD. You're walking down to the hotel pool; all the men want to be you, all the women want to be with you.

Rip Zyzz, you left us physically but your work continues.

ChCeZn5.jpg

Mmm looking forward to porridge and egg whites, peanut butter, chicken and broccolli and protein shakes, worth it though.

:facepalm:

My performance at the gym yesterday, this is going to be torture.

TheMaganator

Looking for a bit of gym etiquette advice:

There are two floors to my gym (one mainly weights and weight machines, the other cardio). It is a small gym that is part of a hotel so is mostly quiet. 

There is a guy in the cardio room who absolutely stinks. Not just a bit of sweaty BO - but a full on body odour issue. I have been in the room he is in a couple of times and I have had to walk out again. The first time I actually wretched. 

He even stinks out the changing room when he is there. 

A couple of my colleagues (we have membership through work) have mentioned him as well. 

Do I raise it with the gym staff or just suck it up and get on with it? I should say that I rarely go into the cardio room - I mostly just swim for cardio work. 

Anyone else ever had a similar issue?