Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Governor Tarkin

I know the overall les mills thing is bullshit, but Pure are going to start the specific HIIT classes at the gym. I could just do a circuits class instead I suppose.

Have you thought of joining a boxing gym?

It's a couple of years since I've been involved in any meaningful way and I was never any good, but the all round fitness and focus was fantastic.

Generic Username

Got myself new trainers for running from Adidas. Down from ?80 to ?56 and down again to ?40. Some decent clobber to be picked up in their sale.

Need to look the part when I'm chucking they 5KG dumbbells about in the gym in January.

Snake Plissken

The gym's closed until the 2nd :muggy:

A decent year for lifts overall and I'm looking forward to getting back in and setting some new PRs.  Main your gainz be ample and injuries rare in 2015, brahs.

Have you thought of joining a boxing gym?

It's a couple of years since I've been involved in any meaningful way and I was never any good, but the all round fitness and focus was fantastic.

Where did you do boxing about? 

I've been considering going to a few classes for a couple of months now but never found the confidence to actually go. Think it might be a nice way to mix up training with that and normal gym work. 

I stay in the East of Edinburgh so I know there's Brad Welsh's Holyrood Boxing Gym, anybody got any other suggestions of places they've maybe tried themselves? 

A Friend's sister helps run Loch End Amateur, decent set up and trained a number of good fighters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where did you do boxing about?

I've been considering going to a few classes for a couple of months now but never found the confidence to actually go. Think it might be a nice way to mix up training with that and normal gym work.

I stay in the East of Edinburgh so I know there's Brad Welsh's Holyrood Boxing Gym, anybody got any other suggestions of places they've maybe tried themselves?

A mate of mine runs Meadowbank Boxing Gym. Reasonably priced & yuur first session is free. Well worth a shot

Recently achieved 150Kg 1 rep max deadlift and I'm feeling pretty good about that to be honest. I've been going to the gym about 12-18 months so interested to know if this is actually decent or not. To put this in perspective I weight about 85Kg.

Generic Username

Gym rammed full of "New Year, New Me" whoppers yesterday. Dames walking on a treadmill for 45 minutes, blokes doing curls in the squat rack.

Gym rammed full of "New Year, New Me" whoppers yesterday. Dames walking on a treadmill for 45 minutes, blokes doing curls in the squat rack.

Yeah seen that. Also reading books while using the bikes with full makeup on. 

At 85kg, a 150kg deadlift is intermediate.

Use strength standards for a rough guide:

http://www.strstd.com/

Thanks for that. Now I know my benchpress is seriously lacking :-( 

Generic Username

Look at me, I'm a regular at the gym and hate it when new people start.

So cringeworthy.

Yeah it's nowhere near as cringeworth as starting a menstrual cycle over one of the Bourne films...

:cornette:

I was surprised actually, went to the gym after work last night(usually go first thing) and it wasn't even that busy. Didn't have to wait for any racks or benches.

Needing a change in routine I think. I usually go to the gym 3 times a week and do the following (I'll not go into specific exercises because it'll take too long to write out:

Session 1:

Chest - 5 exercises, 3 sets of 10

Back - 3 exercises, 3 sets of 10

Session 2:

Bis and Tris - 3 exercises each, 3 sets of 10

Legs - 3 exercises, 3 sets of 12

Session 3:

Shoulders - 5 exercises, 3 sets of 10

Core - 3 exercises, reps depend on what I'm doing.

I've got a good basis following this for a while but I'm wanting to put a bit more size. What should I be doing? Does increasing the weight but dropping the reps really help here?

I always go for a swim afterwards as well.

Most of its diet which you probably all know is atrocious :lol:

Edited by tian447

Increase the weight and drop to 5 reps. Once you can do 10 again, add more weight.

Christ, I don't think any of my 5 rep lifts will ever become 10.

Snake Plissken

Ragnar, not content with being ignored the last time, wading in for a second try. :lol:

If you count his other failed attempt on the New Year New Me thread, that's three unsuccessful goes at fitness-related trolling.

If you count his other failed attempt on the New Year New Me thread, that's three unsuccessful goes at fitness-related trolling.

Which is probably one of the easiest things to troll people on :lol:

What he needs to realise is that we've basically spent 89 pages trolling each other about the intricacies of working out.

He's like a work experience kid coming on to a building site thinking he can get the foreman with a whoopee cushion.

Snake Plissken

I'm awaiting the "that routine is shite" posts. Please be constructive though :lol:

It's not the best but you must have already suspected that or you wouldn't have made the post.

I've got a good basis following this for a while but I'm wanting to put a bit more size. What should I be doing? Does increasing the weight but dropping the reps really help here? 

High weight/low reps is good for strength, more reps at about 60-75% of your max is best for hypertrophy.  See the table for a guide:

Table-3.jpg

Honestly though, you'd do well to work on strength for a while, get your five rep maxes up and you'll still make gains along the way.  You'll give yourself a better platform to build further from in the future.  Strong Lifts or Starting Strength are both good routines to begin with, I posted them before so I'll just paste it below:

If you want to improve strength, go for Strong Lifts (5x5) or Starting Strength

Strong Lifts (5x5):

A

Squats 5 x 5

Bench Press 5 x 5

Bent-over Row 5 x 5

B

Squats 5 x 5

Overhead Press 5 x 5

Deadlifts 1 x 5

Two week cycle:

AxBxAxxBxAxBxx

Starting Strength

A

Squats 3 x 5

Bench Press 3 x 5

Deadlift 1 x 5

extra (add after a few weeks if you feel able)

Dips (weighted) 2 x 8

B

Squats 3 x 5

Overhead Press 3 x 5

Deadlifts 1 x 5*

extra: chin/pull-ups 3 x 5-8

* replace with power cleans after about 3/4 weeks

same cycle as strong lifts.

Increase the weight gradually workout by workout, if you can complete all the sets and reps, add 2.5kg to the weight for next time.

Further Reading

Strong Lifts: http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

Starting Strength: http://www.startingstrengthtraining.com/workouts/

The other aspect of all this and one you highlighted in your post is diet.  You won't get very far if you don't eat right, you need to be eating a caloric surplus and you need to be consistent.  It takes a long time to make real progress but if you do the right things consistently, those gains will come.

Creepy Lurker

Needing a change in routine I think. I usually go to the gym 3 times a week and do the following (I'll not go into specific exercises because it'll take too long to write out:

Session 1:

Chest - 5 exercises, 3 sets of 10

Back - 3 exercises, 3 sets of 10

Session 2:

Bis and Tris - 3 exercises each, 3 sets of 10

Legs - 3 exercises, 3 sets of 12

Session 3:

Shoulders - 5 exercises, 3 sets of 10

Core - 3 exercises, reps depend on what I'm doing.

I always go for a swim afterwards as well.

Most of its diet which you probably all know is atrocious :lol:

It's hard to say if your routine's any good when you can't be arsed typing out what specific exercises you're doing :laugh: Personally I don't really like body part splits for beginners (or anyone for that matter, but particularly beginners).  I also think you're better working on strength initially than working in the 10-12 rep range.  As Snake said, Starting Strength or Strong Lifts are both good programmes and would allow you to continue going to the gym three times a week.  Working in that rep range will still allow you to put on size and, imo, will be more effective in the long term than working in the higher rep range at this stage.  You can increase the reps again once you've built up a good strength base.

If you're looking to put on size and struggling with it, cutting back on the cardio (ie swimming) might be a good idea.  I'm not suggesting that you completely dispense with doing any cardio, but 1-2 HIIT sessions a week should be enough to maintain the health and performance benefits without sacrificing weight gain.

Did you take any of the diet advice given when you asked a couple of pages back?  Why didn't you reply when we asked you for more information?

The People's Chimp

He's obviously hurting about something. Bit of a shame for the boy if he has some weight/fitness related issues but no need to go trying to take it out on everyone else. 

The People's Chimp

Tian, I would also suggest you throw in pulls/chins every time you go to the gym, possibly dips as well. Easiest way is 'greasing the groove' :vrface: and hitting the pull up bar every time you pass it, or 10 at the start, 10 after squats, 10 at the end. etc. 

Creepy Lurker

I actually think Ragnar has a point about the New Year stuff. If people use the fact that it's a new year as motivation to try to do something positive to improve their health then good luck to them. It doesn't reflect very well on self-proclaimed gym regulars when they sneer at them, imo.

I actually think Ragnar has a point about the New Year stuff. If people use the fact that it's a new year as motivation to try to do something positive to improve their health then good luck to them. It doesn't reflect very well on self-proclaimed gym regulars when they sneer at them, imo.

Let's be honest, Ragnar doesn't give a **** about sneering. He just wants a rise.

jambo-fletch

Hello Jambo fitness freaks! I've decided I need to get in shape. I was always really skinny growing up as a kid and was able to eat as much junk food as I liked without putting on any fat. In recent years with the same bad diet and a lot more alcohol consumption, I've realised I'm ' skinny fat' I only seem to put the weight on around my face and belly which is quite annoying. Anyway, was just wondering if it would be better for me to cut or bulk first? I'm around 5'10 and 12 stone. Any help would be much appreciated :2thumbsup:

The People's Chimp

First day back. Ridiculous scenes. 

Guys doing half curls in the squat rack was, I thought, as bad as it was going to get, then some runt in that rank bottle green Hibs top came and nicked a plate I was about to use. 

:muggy: 

Generic Username

First day back. Ridiculous scenes. 

Guys doing half curls in the squat rack was, I thought, as bad as it was going to get, then some runt in that rank bottle green Hibs top came and nicked a plate I was about to use. 

:muggy:

Less sneering plz.

Creepy Lurker

Less sneering plz.

Audioslave raging because the new year resolutioners already lift heavier than he does. :jjyay:

Anyone used my protien for ordering supplements. Having real issues with them and dispatch company. They both say the other have my order.

Anyone experience?

They've been used twice in this house. Prompt and no-nonsense service on both occasions.

But if both are blaming each other, you should target the seller rather than the courier, IMO. Your contract is with the seller.

Creepy Lurker

Use MP loads and have never had any problems. Have heard that they're a ***** to deal with when orders are messed up, though.

Generic Username

Audioslave raging because the new year resolutioners already lift heavier than he does. :jjyay:

I've seen women pick up things in Aldi that's give me a hernia

:sob:

Snake Plissken

Snake, wanted to PM you with a Q but you've no access to PMs? 

Inbox was full, stuff from 2008 in there :lol: I`ve cleared it so feel free to try again.

I`ve just moved so not got much access to the net at the moment so might be a while before I can respond. 

So this is the fitness thread. Ok.

I'm rmcf, I'm getting married in 10 weeks, and I an dedicating myself to getting as in shape as possible so that I don't have to drag my fat arse on honeymoon and embarrass myself with my amazing new wife.

I need to lose 10-12 lbs. Mostly just stomach bulge. I think under the hood I'm I'm decent knick and once I get movin it'll be all good.

In going to run myself into the ground to get the job done and I'm seriously cutting out the drink

I will post on this thread to motivate myself and embarrass myself if need be.

I can do it. You guys can help , abuse me, give me advice, whatever.

Thanks.

Rmcf

So this is the fitness thread. Ok.

I'm rmcf, I'm getting married in 10 weeks, and I an dedicating myself to getting as in shape as possible so that I don't have to drag my fat arse on honeymoon and embarrass myself with my amazing new wife.

I need to lose 10-12 lbs. Mostly just stomach bulge. I think under the hood I'm I'm decent knick and once I get movin it'll be all good.

In going to run myself into the ground to get the job done and I'm seriously cutting out the drink

I will post on this thread to motivate myself and embarrass myself if need be.

I can do it. You guys can help , abuse me, give me advice, whatever.

Thanks.

Rmcf

A pound a week is very achieveable.

You're starting with a realistic goal which is good.

If you read the whole thread you'll be well equipped.

Key messages:

Diet is more important. Avoid sugar and overeating in general.

Make sure you lift.

If the ten lb comes off my midriff then I'll notice. 10 is is an achievable target...imngoing to blow it out the water anyway.

Give me your best tips on how to get rid of that jelly belly.