Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Looking for a bit of gym etiquette advice:

There are two floors to my gym (one mainly weights and weight machines, the other cardio). It is a small gym that is part of a hotel so is mostly quiet.

There is a guy in the cardio room who absolutely stinks. Not just a bit of sweaty BO - but a full on body odour issue. I have been in the room he is in a couple of times and I have had to walk out again. The first time I actually wretched.

He even stinks out the changing room when he is there.

A couple of my colleagues (we have membership through work) have mentioned him as well.

Do I raise it with the gym staff or just suck it up and get on with it? I should say that I rarely go into the cardio room - I mostly just swim for cardio work.

Anyone else ever had a similar issue?

Never had the issue at a gym as I work out at home but I'd definitely say something. Had something similar at my work so spoke to my manager who had to take it up with the offender. Don't imagine it was a very pleasant conversation for her but that's what she's paid for and it did help the problem drastically. Same goes for the gym staff, just tell them it's seriously affecting your enjoyment in attending and you've heard other folk say the same.

Some manky ***** going about though, how hard is it to shower/put on some deodorant :lol:

TheMaganator

Never had the issue at a gym as I work out at home but I'd definitely say something. Had something similar at my work so spoke to my manager who had to take it up with the offender. Don't imagine it was a very pleasant conversation for her but that's what she's paid for and it did help the problem drastically. Same goes for the gym staff, just tell them it's seriously affecting your enjoyment in attending and you've heard other folk say the same.

Some manky ***** going about though, how hard is it to shower/put on some deodorant :lol:

Christ - I can only imagine working with a guy like this?!

It's weird, he looks quite presentable.

I think I'll have a word, as you suggest.

Governor Tarkin

Looking for a bit of gym etiquette advice:

There are two floors to my gym (one mainly weights and weight machines, the other cardio). It is a small gym that is part of a hotel so is mostly quiet.

There is a guy in the cardio room who absolutely stinks. Not just a bit of sweaty BO - but a full on body odour issue. I have been in the room he is in a couple of times and I have had to walk out again. The first time I actually wretched.

He even stinks out the changing room when he is there.

A couple of my colleagues (we have membership through work) have mentioned him as well.

Do I raise it with the gym staff or just suck it up and get on with it? I should say that I rarely go into the cardio room - I mostly just swim for cardio work.

Anyone else ever had a similar issue?

There's a guy who trains up at Meggetland who's absolutely howling. He's in on pretty much a daily basis and plenty of folk have spoken to the staff about him but nothing was ever done. I've had to leave on a couple of occasions due to feeling physically sick. I just don't go there anymore.

TheMaganator

There's a guy who trains up at Meggetland who's absolutely howling. He's in on pretty much a daily basis and plenty of folk have spoken to the staff about him but nothing was ever done. I've had to leave on a couple of occasions due to feeling physically sick. I just don't go there anymore.

What's wrong with these people?! Rotters

When I worked in a gym we had a guy who worked as a fishmonger. He would spend the night filleting fish then come to the gym to work out in the morning and then have a shower before going home (presumably to bed).

He got several letters from the GM warning him about his personal hygiene, before eventually being launched for an unrelated offence (I caught him peeing in the shower).

When I worked in a gym we had a guy who worked as a fishmonger. He would spend the night filleting fish then come to the gym to work out in the morning and then have a shower before going home (presumably to bed).

He got several letters from the GM warning him about his personal hygiene, before eventually being launched for an unrelated offence (I caught him peeing in the shower).

So how did tht come about exactly, how do u catch people peeing in the shower, eh?.

So how did tht come about exactly, how do u catch people peeing in the shower, eh?.

The water from the shower drained into a central drain. I was in a different shower and as I got out I saw a long streak of yellow coming out from under the door into the drain in the middle of the shower area.

The water from the shower drained into a central drain. I was in a different shower and as I got out I saw a long streak of yellow coming out from under the door into the drain in the middle of the shower area.

wait a minute, you're not supposed to pee in the shower??

Brian Whittaker's Tache

wait a minute, you're not supposed to pee in the shower??

Its a well recognised fact that it's sound environmental practice to pee in the shower.

• 2 weeks later...
Son Of Skacel

Anyone joining the new gym up wester hails?

9.99 a month and top be honest better than most gyms in edinburgh

:rofl:

In what way?

In what way?

Extra cardio on the way home when the natives chase you...*

*not an original joke and may have even been posted on this thread a while back.

Son Of Skacel

In what way?

In the way they have the largest free weights area in Scotland. and a fcuk load of hammer strength style machines(Cant remember what the brand is) if you go and have a look at it I think you might be surprised how good it is. Especially at that price

Rookie question, but it's always bugged me:

How much benefit is there to using a high weight, low rep routine to a medium weight, higher rep routine? I've tried changing over for my arms, since I'm not convinced that I was making any progress but I never feel the same "burn" the day after.

For example, I've gone from 10 reps at 12kg for bicep curls to 4 reps at 16 (sometimes I can get a 5th in there, usually not). I just don't think it's doing much.

Should I stick with it?

How much benefit is there to using a high weight, low rep routine to a medium weight, higher rep routine? I've tried changing over for my arms, since I'm not convinced that I was making any progress but I never feel the same "burn" the day after.

For example, I've gone from 10 reps at 12kg for bicep curls to 4 reps at 16 (sometimes I can get a 5th in there, usually not). I just don't think it's doing much.

Should I stick with it?

Everyone is different but generally I think anything less than 5 reps is not ideal.

Personally I work my way down to failure when training biceps. Will set myself a minimum of 8 reps, start off at a fairly high weight and then reduce it gradually if I can't do 8 reps. As time goes on I gradually increase my starting weight.

Edited by moogsy

tokyowalnut

Should I stick with it?

Try your 10 reps at 12kg but slow the concentric and eccentric movement right down so your bicep is under tension for longer. Try 4 second concentric (towards you) then 6 seconds for the eccentric phase. Appreciate it adds on a bit of time, you could drop to 8 reps (might need to!!), but it's a progression on standard reps without changing weight or rep count.

Maybe worth a try?

I'm doing at least 10km most days now. I'm eating more sensibly

Am I likely to notice weigh loss pretty quickly with this alone or will I have to put in bigger distances?

I play footy too but I squeeze in running to or from work (as part of my commute). Gym is out for time being as I need to see to the kids after work.

Since the wee man came along I'd just ballooned. Looking to shift a few stone sharpish.

I'm doing at least 10km most days now. I'm eating more sensibly

Am I likely to notice weigh loss pretty quickly with this alone or will I have to put in bigger distances?

Depends on your calorie intake. The more calories you are consuming, the more you will have to run.

I'm pretty sure I'd lose weight rapidly if I ran 10km a day and kept my diet the same.

4 reps on biceps? **** THAT!

Blast the shit out of them with high reps, drop sets and super sets.

Should also have said, putting in quality back sessions will help them grow and become stronger too.

Lookimg lean there, Moogsy. Nice one. I'm badly in need of a cut, but with no holiday I've no motivation / goal. :lol:

Should also have said, putting in quality back sessions will help them grow and become stronger too.

Lookimg lean there, Moogsy. Nice one. I'm badly in need of a cut, but with no holiday I've no motivation / goal. :lol:

Thanks! Was about 84 kgs there, never felt better.

Know exactly what you mean about holidays and motivation. Thank **** I'm off to the south of France in a couple of months cos my diet and training since I got back have been atrocious :lol:. Looking forward to getting back on it soon.

Edited by moogsy

Thanks! Was about 84 kgs there, never felt better.

Know exactly what you mean about holidays and motivation. Thank **** I'm off to the south of France in a couple of months cos my diet and training since I got back have been atrocious :lol:. Looking forward to getting back on it soon.

84kg lean is pretty damn impressive. Superb. How tall are you?

With a baby on the way there's no holiday booked and I've been putting on weight with the misses :lol:

86kg the now, probably shift about 6 when I get the finger out and cut. Just need the motivation, love ego loves being pretty damn strong just now though. Haha.

With a baby on the way there's no holiday booked and I've been putting on weight with the misses :lol:

86kg the now, probably shift about 6 when I get the finger out and cut. Just need the motivation, love ego loves being pretty damn strong just now though. Haha.

Congratulations on the kid :).

I'm 5'11. Was a lot of hard work to get to that stage in terms of self discipline with diet etc. but definitely worth it. Feeling a bit sloppy and lethargic at the moment, I think I enjoy the feel good factor in eating well and working out regularly as much as the aesthetic results!

4 reps on biceps? **** THAT!

Blast the shit out of them with high reps, drop sets and super sets.

Exactly what I thought.

Cheers :thumbsup:

My fitness has gone to pot since last summer.

A new job that involves a lot of time away, combined with shoulder pain, a back injury, Christmas then a chest Infection that took me

2 months and two courses of antibiotics to clear has left me around 12lb heavier and a whole lot less fit.

I'm getting back in the swing of things now, I'm back into the 7.30's for the 2km row and I've switched my workout so that I'm doing compound lifts every time. My swimming is still shocking. I can still go quick over a few lengths, but I'm over 2 min down on my PB for the 1km, so need to sort that out!

Generic Username

I've messed my knee (getting sent to a knee clinic) and have a tear in my quadricep - I take it I should be playing it safe and knocking the gym on the head or is there things I can still do despite being unable to bend or straighten my leg.

I'm in the same boat Sten, baby due in 7 weeks time, I have been on a dreamer bulk for the past 6 months. Way up at 100kg now, I'm slightly over 6 foot. 

No holiday until Summer 2016, super cut will be needed for that. 

I'm in the same boat Sten, baby due in 7 weeks time, I have been on a dreamer bulk for the past 6 months. Way up at 100kg now, I'm slightly over 6 foot.

No holiday until Summer 2016, super cut will be needed for that.

It's a superb excuse for an extended dirty bulk. :lol:

7 weeks will fly in. 20 for me. Hope I still get to train :sob:

Dusk_Till_Dawn

I'm doing my head in at the moment. Training loads (swimming, running, weights) but I just can't get a grip of my diet. No discipline and I've got absolutely no idea how to change that.

Food diaries and weekly plans are good ways to start. Then you'll see where you're best to reduce/cut out the unnecessaries/indulgences.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I'd ballooned to 16stone safe to say I'm pretty overweight (I'm about 5'11) been back running for a week or so and just done my first 10km in under an hour (57min) might not be a big deal for some but I'm well pleased wi that effort.

Btw is there such thing as too much bananas? They r the only fruit I really find filling and I seem to happily be fuelling up on bananas during the day. Could this be a bad thing?

I eat other stuff too but yesterday for example I had banana for breaky, banana for mid morning snack, then tuna on a wholemeal pitta and another banana for lunch.

So I'd ballooned to 16stone safe to say I'm pretty overweight (I'm about 5'11) been back running for a week or so and just done my first 10km in under an hour (57min) might not be a big deal for some but I'm well pleased wi that effort.

Btw is there such thing as too much bananas? They r the only fruit I really find filling and I seem to happily be fuelling up on bananas during the day. Could this be a bad thing?

I eat other stuff too but yesterday for example I had banana for breaky, banana for mid morning snack, then tuna on a wholemeal pitta and another banana for lunch.

Bananas still contain approx 90 calories, eat enough of them and you will gain wait.

The only way I've found doable when trying to cut is calorie counting. It's tedious sometimes but for me it's the only thing that works.

So simple as well; add up all the calories you are eating each day. Subtract the amount your body needs to function and also the amount you are losing from any excercise (not an exact science but fairly easy to get a rough idea). They only way you're going to lose weight is if there's a deficit. You can obviously adjust based on how much and how quickly you want to lose.

It doesn't matter what you're eating either. Obviously if you want to build muscle you're looking for a high protein intake and everyone should be getting their quota of friut and veg each day, but overeating things considered 'healthy' is still going to put on weight.

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Food diaries and weekly plans are good ways to start. Then you'll see where you're best to reduce/cut out the unnecessaries/indulgences.

Thanks, could you post a link to an example online? I know what passes as healthy food but I wouldn't know what would be good nutrition-wise for gym work.

I'm a steady 12st so I wouldn't want to put on much weight. I'm reasonably slim but I've got a tire round my waste which never disappears

Posted this also on the diet thread. This is a good cutting diet if anyone is interested, you may need to adjust macros depending on current weight etc. you can also move meals about if you train in the evening or afternoon. I would advise getting scales for weighing food.

Meal 1 ? Breakfast

6 egg whites (240g)

50g oatmeal

Meal 2 ? Post workout

Post Workout Shake with 35g Protein

Meal 3 ? Lunch

170g chicken breast

115g sweet potato

50g broccoli

Meal 4

170g Greek yoghurt

1 banana

Meal 5

170g Salmon

40g Brown Rice

115g Asparagus

Meal 6

170g cottage cheese

10 almonds

Posted this also on the diet thread. This is a good cutting diet if anyone is interested, you may need to adjust macros depending on current weight etc. you can also move meals about if you train in the evening or afternoon. I would advise getting scales for weighing food.

Meal 1 ? Breakfast

6 egg whites (240g)

50g oatmeal

Meal 2 ? Post workout

Post Workout Shake with 35g Protein

Meal 3 ? Lunch

170g chicken breast

115g sweet potato

50g broccoli

Meal 4

170g Greek yoghurt

1 banana

Meal 5

170g Salmon

40g Brown Rice

115g Asparagus

Meal 6

170g cottage cheese

10 almonds

Yeah, I'm just not that dedicated.

Pizza for my dinner tonight!

DTD- If you're exercising but not seeing any results try cutting out carbs in one or two meals a day or reducing booze and you'll start to notice the belly shift.

Planning what you're going to eat each day at the start of the week will help with discipline. You know what's healthy but sometimes seeing it written in front of you makes you realise that there are elements where you can cut back. Ie loads of rice/potatoes on a rest day is calories you might not need.

• 2 weeks later...

I've actually joined this gym this morning. Went for a trial yesterday, was really impressed and at ?9.99 a month your laughing. 

Moving to Fife in the next few weeks but still working in Edinburgh so plan is to get up first thing, beat the traffic, gym, work, then home early. 

Went this morning at half six, not busy at all and so much equipment. 

Having been a member at Nufflield Health(Greens), Edinburgh Leisure Craiglockhart, Edinburgh Uni Pleasance(whilst at Uni) I can't believe how good for the price. Granted there is no swimming pool, sauna etc... But the selection of equipment is excellent. Could maybe do with a couple more squat racks but if it is as quiet as it was this morning I don't think I will have any problems. 

Having enough squat racks is the perennial problem in gyms.

They don't seem to understand that you don't need 50 treadmills and 50 cross trainers whilst only having 2 racks...

Glad the gym sounds good tho.

Stuart McNeill

Having enough squat racks is the perennial problem in gyms.

They don't seem to understand that you don't need 50 treadmills and 50 cross trainers whilst only having 2 racks...

Glad the gym sounds good tho.

The point in them having that many is for when January comes around, it's the selling point. Rather than squat racks and benches.

• 3 weeks later...

Running in my hearts tracksuit. Got stopped as mistaken for a hearts player LOL! (Didn't say who) must be looking fitter haha

Private Womble

I'm looking to increase my fitness and gain weight at the same time. Is a personal trainer a good idea? (really unfit and unhealthy diet, need a lifestyle overhaul)

I'm looking to increase my fitness and gain weight at the same time. Is a personal trainer a good idea? (really unfit and unhealthy diet, need a lifestyle overhaul)

Which gym do you use? Are you a member?

Unless it's a budget gym you should be able to get some help included within the cost.

A personal trainer will help by giving you a personalised programme that should work if you stick to it and having one will also help keep you motivated if the are any good.

They are very expensive though, so I guess it comes down to whether or not you can afford it.

Also, just because you have a PT, doesn't mean you should stop trying to learn about fitness and how to achieve your goals.

You'll learn from your PT, but the more research you do, the easier it will be to motivate yourself and get results without having to fork out.