Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Cheers bud.

I thought the X-fit, was all that body weight, ropes and straps sort of thing. I'll check it out.

Thanks

No offence to anyone who does crossfit but its basically just like strongman/powerlifting training with light weights high reps and shocking form lol. But yeah looks like from their website they have a yolk, prowler, farmers carry etc so plenty decent kit to have a play around with

No offence to anyone who does crossfit but its basically just like strongman/powerlifting training with light weights high reps and shocking form lol. But yeah looks like from their website they have a yolk, prowler, farmers carry etc so plenty decent kit to have a play around with

Magic, I'll have a look.

Not trained since November, I need to get back.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you ever get along to this gym? :)

Not had time, I'm working all over the place at the minute.

I'll be back training for April.

Actually thinking about going for the Masters next year, id like to stay natural but I've also thought about vitamin S.

Not had time, I'm working all over the place at the minute.

I'll be back training for April.

Actually thinking about going for the Masters next year, id like to stay natural but I've also thought about vitamin S.

Masters bodybuilding or SM? How old are you?

Masters bodybuilding or SM? How old are you?

BB, I'm not strong enough for SM or powerlifting.

BB, I'm not strong enough for SM or powerlifting.

That would be pretty cool, something to focus towards. Takes a lot of work dieting down, i'm too greedy to do it haha.

The owners of the BNBF (natural fed) own the gym I train at, they put the Scottish show on every year in Perth. Always really good and well run.

The people you'd be up against are far less intimidating than the guys in the NABBA/UKBFF contests at your age (a lot of these guys have been on the strong vitamins for several years :))

That would be pretty cool, something to focus towards. Takes a lot of work dieting down, i'm too greedy to do it haha.

The owners of the BNBF (natural fed) own the gym I train at, they put the Scottish show on every year in Perth. Always really good and well run.

The people you'd be up against are far less intimidating than the guys in the NABBA/UKBFF contests at your age (a lot of these guys have been on the strong vitamins for several years :))

Two lads I know well are the reigning Scottish champs at Over 100kg and the Master Champ.

Huge.

Edited by aussieh

Is there any other natural Feds in Scotland? I know people who have had bad experiences with BNBF. But it kinda seems to be the only show in town?

When are they held?.

I really need something to work towards. I'm good at diets, when i put my mind to it. Training isn't usually a problem but I've lost dedication, the booze is back and shit food, fags will be next, if i don't get the finger oot.

Help!!! :D

Two lads I know well are the reigning Scottish champs at Over 100kg and the Master Champ.

Huge.

Nice. In that case you've got the ideal guys to keep you right. The NABBAs were on last weekend, few guys I know were competing but none won.

The next BNBF Scottish show is 12th June. Usually around the same time each year

Is there any other natural Feds in Scotland? I know people who have had bad experiences with BNBF. But it kinda seems to be the only show in town?

Theres another one, UKDFBA

Nice. In that case you've got the ideal guys to keep you right. The NABBAs were on last weekend, few guys I know were competing but none won.

The next BNBF Scottish show is 12th June. Usually around the same time each year

What about yourself, have any competition this year?.

Cheers for the info, I'll need to add some size this year then ill go for it.

I need to get the diet and training back into my every day routine, as I dont half feel better.

What about yourself, have any competition this year?.

Cheers for the info, I'll need to add some size this year then ill go for it.

I need to get the diet and training back into my every day routine, as I dont half feel better.

Yeah I've got Huntly Strongest Man u90kg on 30th April and then I'm doing Hertfordshire Strongest Man novices on 5th June so been busy practicing events and getting stronger last few weeks :)

A mate of mine is doing the same, he is taking a year to build up and do a practice run diet and then going for first timers in 2 years if he sticks to it.

Yeah I've got Huntly Strongest Man u90kg on 30th April and then I'm doing Hertfordshire Strongest Man novices on 5th June so been busy practicing events and getting stronger last few weeks :)

A mate of mine is doing the same, he is taking a year to build up and do a practice run diet and then going for first timers in 2 years if he sticks to it.

beginners might be a no bad idea for me too.

Good luck btw.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a question about muscle soreness. I bought a weight bench about 2 months ago. I do 4 sets of each exercise to fail, usually around 10 reps as I use heavy weight (for me anyway). My arms are like jelly afterwards and muscle are tired. The next day they feel fine no soreness. Is this normal. My work mate comes into work the morning after weights and complains his muscles are killing him.

I've got a question about muscle soreness. I bought a weight bench about 2 months ago. I do 4 sets of each exercise to fail, usually around 10 reps as I use heavy weight (for me anyway). My arms are like jelly afterwards and muscle are tired. The next day they feel fine no soreness. Is this normal. My work mate comes into work the morning after weights and complains his muscles are killing him.

It's not an issue. Your muscles don't need to be sore after a workout for it to have worked

I'm usually wrecked for two days afterwards.

It's not an issue. Your muscles don't need to be sore after a workout for it to have worked

I was looking for answers on Google/ YouTube the best I could find was , less reps more weight build muscle( I'm gonna describe this wrong) but not fast lean muscle, were as less weight more reps builds fast athletic muscle. Some thing to do with electrodes?

Stuart McNeill

I was looking for answers on Google/ YouTube the best I could find was , less reps more weight build muscle( I'm gonna describe this wrong) but not fast lean muscle, were as less weight more reps builds fast athletic muscle. Some thing to do with electrodes?

DOMS mean nothing.

I've been in bits for two days after a gym session and other times I felt like I had done nothing.

Just curious, if you're new to exercising, why do you go to failure?

I'm currently doing a 5x5 training program. I've only been doing it a couple months but I definitely see a lot of progress.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

DOMS mean nothing.

I've been in bits for two days after a gym session and other times I felt like I had done nothing.

Just curious, if you're new to exercising, why do you go to failure?

I'm currently doing a 5x5 training program. I've only been doing it a couple months but I definitely see a lot of progress.

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

I'm a total noob with weights so no idea what DOMS mean sorry :). What is 5x5. I just want to bulk up a bit, I'm pretty skinny. I'm not looking to be shredded with huge muscles and go to the gym 4/5 days a week. I watched a few YouTube fitness guys and felt 4 sets to fail was something that would work for me. I can see results so happy with how it's going but thought I'd ask about muscle soreness to see if I was missing something. Cheers for the reply. As you probably heard when we played FIFA my house Is a circus, so can only manage a 30/40 min session every few nights

I'm a total noob with weights so no idea what DOMS mean sorry :). What is 5x5. I just want to bulk up a bit, I'm pretty skinny. I'm not looking to be shredded with huge muscles and go to the gym 4/5 days a week. I watched a few YouTube fitness guys and felt 4 sets to fail was something that would work for me. I can see results so happy with how it's going but thought I'd ask about muscle soreness to see if I was missing something. Cheers for the reply. As you probably heard when we played FIFA my house Is a circus, so can only manage a 30/40 min session every few nights

Basically means 'delayed onset muscle soreness'. My advice would be work in a mixture of rep ranges and vary your training, your body will adapt to stimulus so if you hit the same rep and set ranges over time you will reach a point where you are not going to progress any further.

A 5x5 routine like what Stuart McNeill suggested is a good starting point, add in some accessory work at 8 to 10 reps and you're sorted ;)

You'll need to up your protein intake, its all about the food.

do you do lower weight but more reps or high weight less reps

Usually higher weight low reps, occasionally switching to a week of high reps, lower weight.

More soreness with the former I'd say.

You'll need to up your protein intake, its all about the food.

This is a huge part of it. I don't go daft with protein compared to some but overall diet plays such a big part.

Stuart McNeill

Cheers for the replies

if you only have a limited amount of time or equipment, I'd recommend sticking with the compound movements.

Bench Press

Deadlifts

Squats

Overhead Press

These all work more than one muscle at one time making them excellent exercises at becoming stronger.

Another option is always using your body weight. Doing ;

Pull ups

Push ups

Planks

dips

body weight squats

These all have a ton of variations which you can progress to and become stronger that way.

Regards to diet. They say it's 80% Diet 20% gym. Sort out your diet and you'll see even more progress.

Protein is usually 0.8-1 gram of protein per 1lb of body weight. 200lbs = 200 grams of protein and this is usually controlled and followed using My Fitness Pal.

EDIT : if you don't get enough protein, use whey protein.

i'm no expert. I started the same way as you, searching on the internet. This is just what I have picked up and it's helpful.

last thing, don't let your ego get in the way and make sure your form is good before lifting any heavy weights and you injure yourself.

Edited by Stuart McNeill

if you only have a limited amount of time or equipment, I'd recommend sticking with the compound movements.

Bench Press

Deadlifts

Squats

Overhead Press

These all work more than one muscle at one time making them excellent exercises at becoming stronger.

Another option is always using your body weight. Doing ;

Pull ups

Push ups

Planks

dips

body weight squats

These all have a ton of variations which you can progress to and become stronger that way.

Regards to diet. They say it's 80% Diet 20% gym. Sort out your diet and you'll see even more progress.

Protein is usually 0.8-1 gram of protein per 1lb of body weight. 200lbs = 200 grams of protein and this is usually controlled and followed using My Fitness Pal.

EDIT : if you don't get enough protein, use whey protein.

i'm no expert. I started the same way as you, searching on the internet. This is just what I have picked up and it's helpful.

last thing, don't let your ego get in the way and make sure your form is good before lifting any heavy weights and you injure yourself.

Good post, nothing here I'd disagree with all good info ;)

Just ran my first 10k (on the treadmill).

Having flat feet and generally being crap at running I'm thoroughly proud of myself.

just thought I'd share that with you.

Having flat feet and generally being crap at running I'm thoroughly proud of myself.

Good going!

I couldn't run half that without collapsing at the moment lol

Edited by RS86

• 2 weeks later...

question for the runners.

I've been getting back into running but after say the hour mark my feet are getting torn to bits with blisters. (I alternate between 2 pairs of running shoes and never used to have this problem)

The sole and inside look ok but is it maybe a sign my shoes are on the way out? its not like im doing mega miles, although i have been trying to up the distance.

Over the course of a week i have 2 games of 7-aside footy, game of 11s football, Badminton and 3 Long runs. That along with healthier eating i'm hoping to see results soon. (weight loss)

Thats a great effort. I'd heartily encourage you to try get out running though. you'll enjoy it more than the treadmill once you get into it.

Generic Username

Got myself down to a respectable time for 3k, now to make the jump back up to 5k. Delighted my knee hasn't collapsed like soggy tracing paper.

Mr Brightside

I've been getting back into running but after say the hour mark my feet are getting torn to bits with blisters. (I alternate between 2 pairs of running shoes and never used to have this problem)

The sole and inside look ok but is it maybe a sign my shoes are on the way out? its not like im doing mega miles, although i have been trying to up the distance.

Over the course of a week i have 2 games of 7-aside footy, game of 11s football, Badminton and 3 Long runs. That along with healthier eating i'm hoping to see results soon. (weight loss)

What socks are you wearing? I like using twin layer socks which help with blisters. Unfortunately I think some blisters and hard skin on the feet are a side effect of distance running.

Simple question:

I've reached a point where I don't seem to be getting any bigger.  I've been doing sets of 10 with most of the stuff I do at the gym.

Would swapping to heavier weights and less reps help me get over this?

Simple question:

I've reached a point where I don't seem to be getting any bigger. I've been doing sets of 10 with most of the stuff I do at the gym.

Would swapping to heavier weights and less reps help me get over this?

Have you increased calories gradually to match increasing weights?

Are you still managing to increase the amount of weight you are doing for the 10 reps?

If you are training for size you want to stimulate growth in both type 1 and 2 muscle fibres so you are best mixing up the rep ranges and load for hypertrophy, so you may see some initial improvement from adding in some lower rep work.

In Absentia

Hilly twin skin socks sorted my blister prone feet.

Cheers for replies. I use new balance running socks. Will look out for double layered ones

One on my left foot has put me out of action for a few days. I'm itching to get out a run. Good sign is I must actually be back enjoying it again

Double socks done the trick. No problemo

Done 5km in 22mins aswell (chuffed to bits for a slow overweight guy) blew out my backside getting round the rest but still made it

peter_hmfc

Does anyone have any recommendations as to where to get a good skinny-to-bulkier workout routine from? Been doing a routine that a gym instructor gave me for a few months but seem to have stalled at the same weight for quite a while so I think I need something a bit more intense and hard-pushing.

I was recommended leanmusclesystem.com and I've seen a few others like it. I'm wary of websites that you have to pay for and that they may be overhyped and not worth the money, but I've heard people swear by them and would be willing to spend a bit if it'll ultimately help me progress in the long term.

Does anyone have any recommendations as to where to get a good skinny-to-bulkier workout routine from? Been doing a routine that a gym instructor gave me for a few months but seem to have stalled at the same weight for quite a while so I think I need something a bit more intense and hard-pushing.

I was recommended leanmusclesystem.com and I've seen a few others like it. I'm wary of websites that you have to pay for and that they may be overhyped and not worth the money, but I've heard people swear by them and would be willing to spend a bit if it'll ultimately help me progress in the long term.

A lot of people like the Starting Strength book by Mark Rippetoe, never read it myself but it is popular.

The Wendler 5/3/1 routine is a good one IMO too.

How long have you been working out for?

Stuart McNeill

I don't know how experienced you are but with you needing a PT i'm assuming you're more newer than experienced.

Generally you don't need to pay for anything regards to fitness, it's on the internet somewhere.

However I would say to you to do Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5.

Though, I would probably say you're not eating enough. To make progress you really need to eating more.

mixerchris

As a couple others have mentioned Stronglifts 5x5 is a pretty good routine for improving strength. You can download an app for it that tells you what to do each session and also gives you links to videos showing you the proper form for each exercise involved.

Rich Piana is a horrible seeyounexttuesday.

Taking liberties with Jason Genova.

Arsehole.

peter_hmfc

A lot of people like the Starting Strength book by Mark Rippetoe, never read it myself but it is popular.

The Wendler 5/3/1 routine is a good one IMO too.

How long have you been working out for?

Thanks! I'll have a look at both! I've been going for just over 5months. The routine he gave me was for 2months, but I kept gaining weight (without actually getting fat) and was able to lift more and more, so I thought basically if it works, it'd be best to keep at it for a bit longer.

peter_hmfc

I don't know how experienced you are but with you needing a PT i'm assuming you're more newer than experienced.

Generally you don't need to pay for anything regards to fitness, it's on the internet somewhere.

However I would say to you to do Starting Strength or Stronglifts 5x5.

Though, I would probably say you're not eating enough. To make progress you really need to eating more.

I'm aiming for around 4,000 calories a day, sometimes a few hundred more, sometimes a few hundred less. The Starting Strength and 5x5 seem to be good recommendations though, so I'll have a look at them!

peter_hmfc

As a couple others have mentioned Stronglifts 5x5 is a pretty good routine for improving strength. You can download an app for it that tells you what to do each session and also gives you links to videos showing you the proper form for each exercise involved.

I'll need to definitely download the app, thanks!