Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

First week back after 2 weeks maternity leave, still really enjoying Xercise4less, very quiet at the times I am going. My friend has been in the evening though and says it's a bit mental, groups of 4/5 laddies hanging around the benches not actually doing very much. 

Hi guys. I have a new job based in Dalmeny / South Queensferry. Moving out there from Glasgow. Are there any nearby gyms or any that you would say are easy to get to at lunchtime from that area?

The only one i have really found is Queensferry High but they don't allow access to the public until the school closes in the evening and i would rather go at lunchtime.

looking for some tips.

How does you's keeping yourself motivated? I go to the gym for a few weeks then give up for a few months and patterns continues. I get bored when I'm there, I've tried listening to music, and changing my work out regime.

I've asked mates if they would interested but none of them are.

I think what mainly puts me of is that I have to get a bus after work as I don't need to get a bus to work as its only about a 10 minute walk home and at end of long day I can't be arsed getting on one.

Carl Weathers

Thoughts on these workouts? I go 3 times a week alternating the below and do pretty much no cardio. I usually aim for 3 x 8 reps unless it's too heavy. I've been doing drop sets for some exercises as well.

I'd like to get stronger and burn body fat ideally! I can't say I'm improving much at moment, although I suspect lack of consistency and poor diet are contributing factors.

A:

Bench press

Squats

Incline bench press

Cable fly's

Cable pushdown

Overhead tricep extension

B:

Standing barbell shoulder press

Upright rows

Bent over row

Shrugs

Lateral raise with dumbells

Close grip pull downs

Barbell curls/DB curls (aiming to fit in both)

The People's Chimp

^what about a stronglifts or starting strength programme to work on strength? 5 x 5 instead of 3 x 8 but go heavier and you will definitely make gains.

I have been doing some strength training the week. 

Today was Squats 6 sets, reps 8 - 6 - 4 (increasing weight, then repeat). 

Stiff leg deadlifts 6 sets,  reps 8 - 6 - 4 (increasing weight, then repeat)

Front squats 3 sets, 5 reps (heavy)

Hamstring curls 3 sets, 5 reps (heavy)

The People's Chimp

This?

http://stronglifts.com/5x5/

That actually looks pretty decent.

Yeah that's it. What you could do is just follow that routine, or you could incorporate the ideas behind it 5 x 5 on heavier weights and trying to increase your lifts, into your general routine. If you did follow stronglifts you might want to throw in a few extra things like pulls/chins and curls if you were so inclined, but the main thing is to focus on big compound lifts. 

Carl Weathers

Yeah that's it. What you could do is just follow that routine, or you could incorporate the ideas behind it 5 x 5 on heavier weights and trying to increase your lifts, into your general routine. If you did follow stronglifts you might want to throw in a few extra things like pulls/chins and curls if you were so inclined, but the main thing is to focus on big compound lifts.

Started this today so will be interesting to see how it goes. I did dB rather than barbell for chest press plus I through in a couple of other exercises. Easy to do at the start but I bet I won't be doing so in two weeks.

Started looking at the stronglifts stuff today as well. Was using a Smith machine though which I don't think is ideal. Started with workout A as deadlifts were obviously going to be an issue.

Feeling pretty motivated after slacking off quite a bit in the run up to the half marathon/dealing with the consequences of it/going on holiday.

Edited by Cigaro

Heavily into the gym. Been training with weights since I was 16 and fairly knowledgable about training and diet, happy to offer advice for anyone getting in to training.

Didn't read every page of the thread but I can bench 160kg, deadlift 270kg and squat 160kg, not sure how that compares to others.

Personally I mainly train for general fitness and strength, side effect of heavy lifting and decent diet is I have a fairly muscular build which is also a plus I suppose :)

RUNNING/HEALTH QUESTION

I enjoy running. I currently have no transport and need to lose weight/get fitter.

Im happy to commute to work by foot (its roughly 11km)

Now I dont mind running this one bit. However I know rest days are important (im a bit overweight so its not like im superfit although i play alot of sports)

Question. If I am running every other day, is walking on my 'rest day' enough or will i be doing something detrimental long term? Bare in mind that will still mean walking 22km as recovery periods.

I dont do a physical job.

When going to the gym is it best to eat an hour before going or having something after the workout? Bearing in mind I finish work at 6 so whatever option I take I'll be home around 8/9 which I think is a bit late to eat.

The People's Chimp

When going to the gym is it best to eat an hour before going or having something after the workout? Bearing in mind I finish work at 6 so whatever option I take I'll be home around 8/9 which I think is a bit late to eat.

:laugh: 

Quite often if I go to the gym after work,  I end up cooking at ten pm and eating at a quarter to eleven. It's far from ideal but it's either that or just go home and eat, and avoid the gym. 

Goal dependent. For gaining muscle/weight I would always eat after training.

For fat loss/weight loss I wouldn't, or if I did it would be protein/fat meal only to avoid spiking insulin. Muscle glycogen would replenish next day so no need for spiking insulin that late IMO.

Several ways to skin a cat though so what works for me won't always necessarily work for everyone.

Heavily into the gym. Been training with weights since I was 16 and fairly knowledgable about training and diet, happy to offer advice for anyone getting in to training.

Didn't read every page of the thread but I can bench 160kg, deadlift 270kg and squat 160kg, not sure how that compares to others.

Personally I mainly train for general fitness and strength, side effect of heavy lifting and decent diet is I have a fairly muscular build which is also a plus I suppose :)

Thats a fair auld difference between your Deadlifts and squats, ma man.

RS86.

You can only squat your bench? Something wrong there!

Nice dead and bench figures but squat seems low in comparison?

Thats a fair auld difference between your Deadlifts and squats, ma man.

Its embarrassing. Have problems squatting even in double ply sleeves due to an arthroscopy I had few years back. Had some meniscus cut out left knee :(

RS86.

You can only squat your bench? Something wrong there!

For a while my bench was higher lol. My squats are a joke tbh. Tend to stay lighter with higher reps to work around injury

For a while my bench was higher lol. My squats are a joke tbh. Tend to stay lighter with higher reps to work around injury

Know the feeling, used to squat heavy but due to lower back issues now doing a lot of light volume, 10x10 etc.

Actually prefer it.

Know the feeling, used to squat heavy but due to lower back issues now doing a lot of light volume, 10x10 etc.

Actually prefer it.

I quite like a bit of 10x10. Love GVT but not something I can sustain for long periods without burning out.

Going to work on going heavier again with squats but tend to get so far and get sidetracked with knee pain or little niggling injuries.

Try again with another question.

My upper body is not strong so I've been trying to do some basic resistance exercises at home with a dumbell.

Now  i've been doing 10km runs. However if I do even a bit of resistance before hand it just buckles me.

Usually I can run 10km no problem but after a bit resistance this morning anything after the 6km mark was a struggle.

Advice? is this a good thing?

Try again with another question.

My upper body is not strong so I've been trying to do some basic resistance exercises at home with a dumbell.

Now  i've been doing 10km runs. However if I do even a bit of resistance before hand it just buckles me.

Usually I can run 10km no problem but after a bit resistance this morning anything after the 6km mark was a struggle.

Advice? is this a good thing?

Not able to help much re running personally but I would imagine if you're doing some resistance training first and then pushing yourself with a decent distance you are probably noticing the strain the resistance training has put on your central nervous system.

Personally I prefer to do cardio on separate days from weights but plenty of others I know do both together no problem, suppose they have probably adjusted to this over a period of time.

Mr Brightside

RUNNING/HEALTH QUESTION

I enjoy running. I currently have no transport and need to lose weight/get fitter.

Im happy to commute to work by foot (its roughly 11km)

Now I dont mind running this one bit. However I know rest days are important (im a bit overweight so its not like im superfit although i play alot of sports)

Question. If I am running every other day, is walking on my 'rest day' enough or will i be doing something detrimental long term? Bare in mind that will still mean walking 22km as recovery periods.

I dont do a physical job.

I think walking that distance on a rest day is too much you would be walking for around 1:30 each way. You can get some sports watches and apps that measure HRV that recommend when you need a rest.

I've been doing some High Intensity Training with a boy from work. **** me it's hard going. He also does a ketogenic diet. Anyone on here do it? Seems a bit weird to me. Eat butter and full fats etc

I've been doing some High Intensity Training with a boy from work. **** me it's hard going. He also does a ketogenic diet. Anyone on here do it? Seems a bit weird to me. Eat butter and full fats etc

Have done in the past. Eggs, cheese, bacon & nuts while dieting. Its awesome haha.

Does anyone use Map My Run??

I've created a group if anyone is interested in joining, it'd be good to share routes, I have a 5k route I've been doing but it'd be good to find other routes.

Group Name: JKB

Pass Code: BigTeamBigCup

*no reference to Jambos Kickback had been made on the group, it's called JKB but those are simply initials.

Some people have taken the studies that show fat isn't the enemy WAY too far.

It helps you feel full etc and you need fat in your diet, but the amount recommended in these ketogenic diets is just stupid.

It barely leaves room for any fibre.

Some people have taken the studies that show fat isn't the enemy WAY too far.

It helps you feel full etc and you need fat in your diet, but the amount recommended in these ketogenic diets is just stupid.

It barely leaves room for any fibre.

The premise of the diet is to become ketone adapted where you use fats as a fuel rather than carbohydrates and have very low/zero carbs, hence why fats have to be moderate/high. Fibrous vegetables can provide dietary fibre. It's not a new concept, been around in the bodybuilding community for decades.

There are a lot of studies showing that being in ketosis can have health benefits, although there are probably as many that argue the opposite to be fair.

What weight are you? Are you sure you aren't getting mixed up with Kg and lbs?

He's been heavily into the gym since 16, if those weights were in lbs he'd have been making slow progress, unless he's still a teenager.

If he is average weight of 13 stone he is bench pressing twice his body weight and deadlifting three times.

A common goal to be considered one of the strongest people in the world is to deadlift three times your body weight.

If the weights are correct he is exceptionally strong.

If he is average weight of 13 stone he is bench pressing twice his body weight and deadlifting three times.

A common goal to be considered one of the strongest people in the world is to deadlift three times your body weight.

just say it. :whistling:

Does seem pretty extreme :lol:

Almost impossible without the use of steroids...

Average around 85kg, was up to just over 90kg when prepping for a strongman comp last year but currently around 83kg roughly. Haha no, def kg's mate. Also 5' 8.

Heres me pulling 270kg on a hex bar in case theres any doubt chaps 

Nobody was doubting the lifts mate. More the supplementation. Haha.

What's your best conventional deadlift?

Nobody was doubting the lifts mate. More the supplementation. Haha.

What's your best conventional deadlift?

Ah right haha.

270 @ 90ish. Can't do it without straps though :(

Does anyone on here mountain bike? Got a friend who is into enduro racing and I am thinking of giving this a shot (mountain biking but not actually racing) as my cardio fitness is woeful lately.

Does anyone on here mountain bike? Got a friend who is into enduro racing and I am thinking of giving this a shot (mountain biking but not actually racing) as my cardio fitness is woeful lately.

Get your fat ass, on the stepper. :D

Im the same, cant get my fat arse on the treadmill, 65000 roof tiles needing loaded quite soon. Should do the trick.

Get your fat ass, on the stepper. :D

Im the same, cant get my fat arse on the treadmill, 65000 roof tiles needing loaded quite soon. Should do the trick.

I really should. Battering down a hill track sounded more fun though :)

Occasionally do some bag work but looking for something a bit different.

I really should. Battering down a hill track sounded more fun though :)

Occasionally do some bag work but looking for something a bit different.

Boxing training, best there is.

Average around 85kg, was up to just over 90kg when prepping for a strongman comp last year but currently around 83kg roughly. Haha no, def kg's mate. Also 5' 8.

Some serious weights there then mate, well done.

Some serious weights there then mate, well done.

Well done on the lift!

So do you 'cycle'? Not that I'm the judgemental sort but I don't know of many guys who could pull that kind of weight without.

Edited by moogsy

According to Flex Online a study showed on average that people would deadlift 50 pounds more on the Hex bar than they would on a barbell. So let's just say RS86's best barbell deadlift would be 255kg. (270 minus 25)

255kg is very doable natural. Not saying that therefore means he is. But just thought I would throw that out there. I was pulling 200 relatively easily before I ****ed my back and stopped doing it altogether. I was only 80kg at the time too. I'm confident I would be in the 220's some 18 months later. So 255 @ 86kg isn't that crazy IMHO.

The 160kg bench at that bodyweight sends more alarm bells ringing than a 255 dead. Well it does to me anyway!

Here's the 200 with a barbell off the floor at 80kg. No wraps or belt.

Edited by Sten Guns

Well done on the lift!

So do you 'cycle'? Not that I'm the judgemental sort but I don't know of many guys who could pull that kind of weight without.

Cheers.

No not using anything, used a couple of prohormones before when I was about 19-20ish so strictly speaking not natural, although wasn't nearly as strong back then.

Can do more on the Hex bar. Topped out at 290kg, got injured not long after so didn't hit 300kg (although trying to get plates to fit for 300kg was going to be an issue anyway).

Here's another random vid of 185kg deadlift for 10 reps.

According to Flex Online a study showed on average that people would deadlift 50 pounds more on the Hex bar than they would on a barbell. So let's just say RS86's best barbell deadlift would be 255kg. (270 minus 25)

255kg is very doable natural. Not saying that therefore means he is. But just thought I would throw that out there. I was pulling 200 relatively easily before I messed my back and stopped doing it altogether. I was only 80kg at the time too. I'm confident I would be in the 220's some 18 months later. So 255 @ 86kg isn't that crazy IMHO.

The 160kg bench at that bodyweight sends more alarm bells ringing than a 255 dead. Well it does to me anyway!

Here's the 200 with a barbell off the floor at 80kg. No wraps or belt.

Nice lift mate, def got more in you as that looked relatively easy tbh.

Always had a strong bench, within 6 months at the gym could bench 115kg.

Lads, im considering, ditching meat.

Any no meat muscle building diet ideas you could pass my way.

Cheers.