Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Need some shoulder building exercise suggestions. Can't press or raise to the side, my shoulders are fecked at the moment. It's messing with my upper body routines. Please help :(

I'm doing pressing and raises, but I'm in agony.

Edited by aussieh

Need some shoulder building exercise suggestions. Can't press or raise to the side, my shoulders are fecked at the moment. It's messing with my upper body routines. Please help :(

I'm doing pressing and raises, but I'm in agony.

Think you will struggle to find many good mass builders that don't involve presses or raises. Have you had your shoulder looked at?

Have you had your shoulder looked at?

Next monday. Front delts and rotary cuff the prime suspects.(Get pain even with bi/tricep exercises)Demoralising.

Half rep press not as much pain, but I hate them.

A mate said a wee cycle can help me out, but I said no. Tempted though.

Edited by aussieh

Next monday. Front delts and rotary cuff the prime suspects.(Get pain even with bi/tricep exercises)Demoralising.

Half rep press not as much pain, but I hate them.

A mate said a wee cycle can help me out, but I said no. Tempted though.

Who are you getting to look at it. I had an issue with biceps tendon about 5 years ago, got a sports doctor to have a look at it. He was really good.

I used a bit of GH at the time for rehabilitation, whether it speeded things up or not who knows.

The best thing for mine was rest, took about 3 months off the gym. Didn't lift a thing

Who are you getting to look at it. I had an issue with biceps tendon about 5 years ago, got a sports doctor to have a look at it. He was really good.

I used a bit of GH at the time for rehabilitation, whether it speeded things up or not who knows.

The best thing for mine was rest, took about 3 months off the gym. Didn't lift a thing

Dr first then physio and hopefully sorted.

Ive rested it for months, it needs fixed. If I put my hand to my head that's the position of the upper arm the pain starts.

Cheers for the replies.

Think you will struggle to find many good mass builders that don't involve presses or raises. Have you had your shoulder looked at?

This. Without presses or raises you're pretty much scuppered.

Another issue with rotator cuff is it can start to effect pulling motions too so you might get niggles training back eventually.

Another issue with rotator cuff is it can start to effect pulling motions too so you might get niggles training back eventually.

Lat pull downs are a problem, and most rows.

But they're getting better the more i train. Shoulder pressing and even incline are a mare.

Think I am going to give bodybuilding a go. Intended to do a powerlifting comp next year but feeling a bit fed up with injured ankle/foot and not sure I can get my squat numbers back up high enough for April. Dieting is a thought but waist has hit an all time high of 37.5 inches which has left me devastated :)

Think I am going to give bodybuilding a go. Intended to do a powerlifting comp next year but feeling a bit fed up with injured ankle/foot and not sure I can get my squat numbers back up high enough for April. Dieting is a thought but waist has hit an all time high of 37.5 inches which has left me devastated :)

Good luck bud, Scottish Ronnie Coleman with your strength. :D

Good luck bud, Scottish Ronnie Coleman with your strength. :D

Haha. Ronnie Coleman would be offended, hes never been this fat. Or weak for that matter :)

Likelihood is I will bail on my doet and go back to what I know but im determined to give it a bash. No leg training for a while and already top heavy so don't know where to start though haha

Haha. Ronnie Coleman would be offended, hes never been this fat. Or weak for that matter :)

Likelihood is I will bail on my doet and go back to what I know but im determined to give it a bash. No leg training for a while and already top heavy so don't know where to start though haha

Stepper

I warmed up heavily today, and combined chest and shoulders. (set after set with little rest). I went really wide with the dbells on my shoulder press with my head forced against the bench. It seemed to work, little pain. Hopefully the stronger I get, the less pain.

• 2 weeks later...

Only just been able to start doing the 5x5 routine. Should I do it on it's own, or do some extra routines before/after it, isolation work with machines, etc?

Only just been able to start doing the 5x5 routine. Should I do it on it's own, or do some extra routines before/after it, isolation work with machines, etc?

I would do extra with it until you are starting to find the 5x5 part really challenging. For strength training the accessory work is quite important (although not totally essential) and for bodybuilding and hypertrophy doing extras is essential IMO.

Choose a couple of exercises that train the same body parts and do 3 to 4 sets of 10-12 reps on each after you have finished the 5x5 as first few weeks won't be too tough.

After a couple of months as you move up the weights on the 5x5 and you start to feel it more drop the number of reps on the extra stuff to 8 and eventually you will probs need so much effort to hit your 5x5 that you won't even be thinking about doing anything additional :)

I would do extra with it until you are starting to find the 5x5 part really challenging. For strength training the accessory work is quite important (although not totally essential) and for bodybuilding and hypertrophy doing extras is essential IMO.

Choose a couple of exercises that train the same body parts and do 3 to 4 sets of 10-12 reps on each after you have finished the 5x5 as first few weeks won't be too tough.

After a couple of months as you move up the weights on the 5x5 and you start to feel it more drop the number of reps on the extra stuff to 8 and eventually you will probs need so much effort to hit your 5x5 that you won't even be thinking about doing anything additional :)

Thanks a lot! I'll definitely try that :) !

• 2 weeks later...
Governor Tarkin

Ken what's shite.

Having shite genes for bodybuilding.

Before anyone starts, I'm of course not saying genetics are everything - far from it. Diet and training of course play an absolutely huge role in gaining muscle, no doubt about it.

But it's just so ******* demoralising growing up as a skinny-fat guy, putting in the effort to eat at a caloric surplus everyday and training hard for years, with minimal gains.

Then you see mates that have never trained a day in their life. Yet they have broad shoulders, massive arms and generally better conditioned than I ever will be.

It's just really hard to stay motivated when people clearly have an advantage in this game.

No one can tell me for a second that, if everyone trained the same, weighed the same and ate at a carbolic surplus, we would gain muscle at the same rate. We wouldn't, and that's where genetics come into it, they play a massive role on bodybuiding and, arguably, influence growth more important than diet and training alone.

Anyway, rant over. Just having a hard time staying motivated these days.

Amen, Brother.

:(

Started on a new diet plan today, going to go with it for 12 weeks and see where I'm at. Plenty of chicken along with sweet potato, wild rice and white potato as carb sources. Should be interesting to see what I look like by the end of the 12 weeks :)

Kennedy Bakircioglu

Started on a new diet plan today, going to go with it for 12 weeks and see where I'm at. Plenty of chicken along with sweet potato, wild rice and white potato as carb sources. Should be interesting to see what I look like by the end of the 12 weeks :)

Good luck with it. Should be in good shape just before Christmas! Would be great if you could post a few updates.

I've been thinking of cutting out white rice. Have 75g of it at lunch and tea and think its probably a bit excessive given I'm office based during the day. Can't stand sweet potato however!

Good luck with it. Should be in good shape just before Christmas! Would be great if you could post a few updates.

I've been thinking of cutting out white rice. Have 75g of it at lunch and tea and think its probably a bit excessive given I'm office based during the day. Can't stand sweet potato however!

If I can figure out how to upload pics I'll put up the before and afters :)

My mate has me on 1000g of carbs a day between sweet potato, oats, rice, white potato and greens. I'm office based as well so not sure I need that much but he says to trust him so I'll go with it til he reassesses me in 12 days time.

Sweet potato tastes nice but 350g a sitting was hard yesterday. Gonna try and just chuck it down first quickly today and then eat chicken and greens afterwards lol

Is sweet potato really as much of an essential as people say it is? I hear a lot of people raving about it but never tried it.

Also, this'll probably be a subjective question, but when you say "I can bench-press/dead-lift/squat ***lbs.", how do you measure it? Is it the weight on each side of the barbell plus the bar itself, or just the weights themselves, or another way?

Edited by peter_hmfc

Is sweet potato really as much of an essential as people say it is? I hear a lot of people raving about it but never tried it.

Also, this'll probably be a subjective question, but when you say "I can bench-press/dead-lift/squat ***lbs.", how do you measure it? Is it the weight on each side of the barbell plus the bar itself, or just the weights themselves, or another way?

Not too sure tbh, diet I am following has me eating loads though and everyone I know who competes in bodybuilding uses it as a main carbs source so maybe I have been missing a trick.

Weight is everything in total, so if your using an olympic bar for example that weighs 20kg (44lbs). So if say I can bench 160kg that is the bar plus 3 20 plates and a 10 plate each side for example

Kennedy Bakircioglu

If I can figure out how to upload pics I'll put up the before and afters :)

My mate has me on 1000g of carbs a day between sweet potato, oats, rice, white potato and greens. I'm office based as well so not sure I need that much but he says to trust him so I'll go with it til he reassesses me in 12 days time.

Sweet potato tastes nice but 350g a sitting was hard yesterday. Gonna try and just chuck it down first quickly today and then eat chicken and greens afterwards lol

Sounds an awful lot of food! I've done pretty well exercise and nutrition wise this week, no doubt fall off the wagon this (and every) weekend!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Getting there. 10k today in under 50 mins. Not been able to do that since I was 21.

Reckon if I could give up beer for a significant amount of time my fitness levels would get even better.

Getting a wee bit skinny though. Could do with putting on some muscle but I have not got a lot experience with living weights and things.

Any advice on where to start would be great. Thanks

Edited by AlimOzturk

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone have any good suggestions for packing on the muscle around my chest?

I'm struggling to get past the "toned" stage and can't get past 70kg for my bench press. I eat a lot but I wonder if the amount of sport I play is affecting me a wee bit. I usually train 3 to 5 times a week, but I also play football and handball on a similarly regular basis.

Is the 5x5 routine decent? Never sure what to actually do with it, as it seems too easy and I never "feel" my workout the next day.

Getting there. 10k today in under 50 mins. Not been able to do that since I was 21.

Reckon if I could give up beer for a significant amount of time my fitness levels would get even better.

Getting a wee bit skinny though. Could do with putting on some muscle but I have not got a lot experience with living weights and things.

Any advice on where to start would be great. Thanks

Hard to get the balance between distance running and gaining muscle size. Easiest way is eating more or running less lol.

Did you get any further in your quest for a weight bench?

Anyone have any good suggestions for packing on the muscle around my chest?

I'm struggling to get past the "toned" stage and can't get past 70kg for my bench press. I eat a lot but I wonder if the amount of sport I play is affecting me a wee bit. I usually train 3 to 5 times a week, but I also play football and handball on a similarly regular basis.

Is the 5x5 routine decent? Never sure what to actually do with it, as it seems too easy and I never "feel" my workout the next day.

Getting stronger on chest will inevitably give you some more size. Couple of things that can help push your bench numbers up, work at around 75-80% of your max and try adding in some paused reps. Bring bar to your chest, pause for 2 and then burst weight back up. Also working on triceps will help increase your bench, and a heavier bench will help stimulate pecs.

I'd also be adding in some fly movements, either dumbell or cable flyes depending what you have access to. Do these in 8-12 rep range and make sure you feel a stretch at bottom and squeeze at top.

Edited by RS86

Getting stronger on chest will inevitably give you some more size. Couple of things that can help push your bench numbers up, work at around 75-80% of your max and try adding in some paused reps. Bring bar to your chest, pause for 2 and then burst weight back up. Also working on triceps will help increase your bench, and a heavier bench will help stimulate pecs.

I'd also be adding in some fly movements, either dumbell or cable flyes depending what you have access to. Do these in 8-12 rep range and make sure you feel a stretch at bottom and squeeze at top.

Weighted dips.

Weighted dips.

These may be a good suggestion.

These hammer my tris but never been convinced they do much for my chest personally tbh. Maybe just the way I am built though as tend to feel them more in my front delts haha

These may be a good suggestion.

These hammer my tris but never been convinced they do much for my chest personally tbh. Maybe just the way I am built though as tend to feel them more in my front delts haha

Wide grip leaning forward for chest, close grip upright for triceps.

I use dumbbells for bench, incline and decline. I dont touch the bar on flat, only incline and decline.

I've never done supersets' chest and back, but it's well recommended by the greatest,Arnie. Only a suggestion.(Not for yourself mind) :D

Edited by aussieh

I use dumbbells for bench, incline and decline. I dont touch the bar on flat, only incline and decline.

Been all flat bench for me again lately. I've already abandoned my attempted bodybuilding diet and gone back to strength training, entered the GPC for next year so going to do the Scottish powerlifting open in April.

Hard to get the balance between distance running and gaining muscle size. Easiest way is eating more or running less lol.

Did you get any further in your quest for a weight bench?

Decided to buy quality dumbells and kettlebells and decent bench rather than a weight bench.

Going to join the gym after the year.

Love running but getting rather skinny. Lost nearly 20 pounds the past 5 months.

Looking at this programme to start with.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/content/best-beginner-weight-training-guide-with-easy-to-follow-workout.html

In terms of eating more I probably do. Always worry when eating more that the belly will come back but if I am training it shouldn't hopefully.

Edited by AlimOzturk

I very rarely do deadlifts at the gym. I don't know why, I know my form is decent, and I know I can do them, I just don't.

Done them last night for the first time in ages and holy **** am I feeling it today. This is what I've been missing out on, and they're going to be added to my weekly routine from now on :thumbsup:

Decided to buy quality dumbells and kettlebells and decent bench rather than a weight bench.

Going to join the gym after the year.

Love running but getting rather skinny. Lost nearly 20 pounds the past 5 months.

Looking at this programme to start with.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/content/best-beginner-weight-training-guide-with-easy-to-follow-workout.html

In terms of eating more I probably do. Always worry when eating more that the belly will come back but if I am training it shouldn't hopefully.

Nice. Plenty of stuff you can do with kettlebells and DBs :)

The routine looks decent. I'd always have some squats and deadlifts in there though.

I very rarely do deadlifts at the gym. I don't know why, I know my form is decent, and I know I can do them, I just don't.

Done them last night for the first time in ages and holy **** am I feeling it today. This is what I've been missing out on, and they're going to be added to my weekly routine from now on :thumbsup:

Deadlifts are king :)

Nice. Plenty of stuff you can do with kettlebells and DBs :)

The routine looks decent. I'd always have some squats and deadlifts in there though.

Cheers

See when it says one set does it mean 1 set of 10,12 or 15 reps?

I know different training requires different amount of reps.

Cheers

See when it says one set does it mean 1 set of 10,12 or 15 reps?

I know different training requires different amount of reps.

It does yep. You might find that isn't a lot tbh.

If you wanted I could post up a basic wee routine for you to follow at home with the dumbells and kettlebells later today?

There seems to be so much conflicting information online on what is the best way to gain muscle without using drugs.

From what I understand people are significantly complicating things about fancy diets and programs.

This is how I'm seeing things after a bit of research...

- Follow a routine that incorporates progressive overload. It is not important which routine, although those that include your main compound movements such as deadlifts, squats and bench etc. seem to be the most efficient. The key part of progressive overload is ensuring that you are either increasing the reps or sets or weight after every session.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/goulet11.htm

- Eat slightly over a caloric surplus whilst ensuring you get atleast 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight. The supplement industry seems to recommend a much higher dosage of protein (of course they would), but all the studies I've seen (that aren't back by the supplement industry) seem to suggest that 1 to 1.5 grams per kilogram of bodyweight is sufficient to build muscle. Anything else is overkill.

Am I right in saying that this is it in a nutshell? Again seems to be so much crap online but after looking at a few seemingly reliable sources this just seems to be all that's required.

There seems to be so much conflicting information online on what is the best way to gain muscle without using drugs.

From what I understand people are significantly complicating things about fancy diets and programs.

This is how I'm seeing things after a bit of research...

- Follow a routine that incorporates progressive overload. It is not important which routine, although those that include your main compound movements such as deadlifts, squats and bench etc. seem to be the most efficient. The key part of progressive overload is ensuring that you are either increasing the reps or sets or weight after every session.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/goulet11.htm

- Eat slightly over a caloric surplus whilst ensuring you get atleast 1 to 1.5 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight. The supplement industry seems to recommend a much higher dosage of protein (of course they would), but all the studies I've seen (that aren't back by the supplement industry) seem to suggest that 1 to 1.5 grams per kilogram of bodyweight is sufficient to build muscle. Anything else is overkill.

Am I right in saying that this is it in a nutshell? Again seems to be so much crap online but after looking at a few seemingly reliable sources this just seems to be all that's required.

I'd say yes 100%, as long as you are either getting stronger or increasing reps over time you are progressing and your body will grow. Not necessarily going to happen every single session but certainly over a month or two you should be able to recognise a difference

Re protein I always aim to hit between 150g and 200g, works out at 1g per lb approx. I have mates who eat way more than (as much as 300g) that but to me that is way OTT

It does yep. You might find that isn't a lot tbh.

If you wanted I could post up a basic wee routine for you to follow at home with the dumbells and kettlebells later today?

That would be Braw mate cheers.

Been all flat bench for me again lately. I've already abandoned my attempted bodybuilding diet and gone back to strength training, entered the GPC for next year so going to do the Scottish powerlifting open in April.

All the best, and keep injury free.

Did you see 'the beast' incline press, using two guys from the gym as dumbbells. :rofl:

Question that I've always wondered. Does smoking prevent you from putting on weight?

Nicotine is an appetite suppressant. Other than that no

I actually know a competitive bodybuilder who uses nicotine gum as part of his diet protocol, he doesn't smoke either lol

All the best, and keep injury free.

Did you see 'the beast' incline press, using two guys from the gym as dumbbells. :rofl:

Thanks. That's the plan lol, after getting injured doing strongman I decided there is much less risk in powerlifting.

I sure did, he is unbelievable :lol:

Nicotine is an appetite suppressant. Other than that no

I actually know a competitive bodybuilder who uses nicotine gum as part of his diet protocol, he doesn't smoke either lol

Haha that's strange. It's like my uncle who has never smoked in his life but is now hooked on the vape pens