Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

New routine starting this week, thoughts?

Tues - Chest/Tri's

Flat bench (4 sets of 6 to 8), incline bench (4x6/8), dumbbell flys (3x10)

Close grip bench (4x6/8), tricep cable extensions (2x8/10), tricep dips (2x8/10)

Wed - Back/Bi's

Bent over rows (4x6/8), wide grip pull up (4 sets to failure), seated rows (4x8/10)

A-bar curl (4x6/8), alternative seated curls (4x8/10), cable curls (2x8/10)

Thurs - Legs

Squat (4x8/10), leg press (3x6/8), calf raises (4x8/10)

Leg extension (3x6/8), leg curl (3x6/8)

Fri - Shoulders

Seated dumbbell press (3x6/8), seated barbell press (3x8/10), dumbbell lateral raise (3x10/12), barbell shrug (4x8/10).

Based mostly on this, with a few changes - http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/dougs-mass-building-routine-for-ectomorphs.html

Bin the flat bench, incline 1 week, decline the next, do squats and presses on alternate weeks aswell, and use the leg ext for pre-exhaustion, and add stiff-legged deads, 2 warm up sets, then 1to2 working sets to failure, alternate bent over rows with deads, or partial deads, once a week is plenty for recovery time, aslong as your doing every set to failure and eating clean, you'll see plenty of gains, and also alternate barbell and dumbells from week to week.hope this helps. Edited by aussieh

Bin the flat bench, incline 1 week, decline the next, do squats and presses on alternate weeks aswell, and use the leg ext for pre-exhaustion, and add stiff-legged deads, 2 warm up sets, then 1to2 working sets to failure, alternate bent over rows with deads, or partial deads, once a week is plenty for recovery time, aslong as your doing every set to failure and eating clean, you'll see plenty of gains, and also alternate barbell and dumbells from week to week.hope this helps.

Why not flat bench?

Burns less calories mate.

Why the sarcasm, sound like Ian MacCarthy

Sorry mean't for the creepy , seems to know it all.

Edited by aussieh

Why not flat bench?

What I mean't was you'll more than likely tear your pecs, incline and decline are far superior lifts, leave flat to the powerlifters and the look at me sorts.

Plz stop giving people advice.

Ditto, but I thought it was a forum , not if creepy says it, it must true, i've tried alsorts of advice ,only offering alternatives that worked for me, only opinions. Im not Hany Ramboid.or Charles Glass, and even there opinions differ.

I know it sounds strange but proper cardio, hiit,football,boxing,muay thai , etc and high carbs and protein will trigger mass and wait gain without high levels of blubber, works for me,

Anyway this was a cast of my fishing rod, seemed a got a bite. :D .

Creepy Lurker

Ditto, but I thought it was a forum , not if creepy says it, it must true, i've tried alsorts of advice ,only offering alternatives that worked for me, only opinions. Im not Hany Ramboid.or Charles Glass, and even there opinions differ.

I don't have any idea how to approach this word salad.

Snake Plissken

Anyway this was a cast of my fishing rod, seemed a got a bite. :D .

Ah, the old "I've made an arse of myself so I'll pretend I was trolling" trick.

Too bad no-one is buying that.

Flat bench daft me.

Stand by this, flat bench is a terrible exercise, imo. Im still trying to get used to this forum stuff, Get there though. people love to train volume, some love heavy duty, I the latter , i've tried volume it does very little for me, and I feel its a wasted training day, I do H.I.T Dorian Yates style, does the trick, need the week to recover, thats alk I was trying to say,and heavy cardio cause when i'm training I eat like a horse, need the cardio to manage the flat, rather big arms chest etc than fat arms etc..

Stand by this, flat bench is a terrible exercise, imo. Im still trying to get used to this forum stuff, Get there though. people love to train volume, some love heavy duty, I the latter , i've tried volume it does very little for me, and I feel its a wasted training day, I do H.I.T Dorian Yates style, does the trick, need the week to recover, thats alk I was trying to say,and heavy cardio cause when i'm training I eat like a horse, need the cardio to manage the flat, rather big arms chest etc than fat arms etc..

Mate, do yourself a favour and read the whole thread.

Without being disrespectful, you aren't as knowledgeable as most of the people on it.

It's a mix of humour, trolling, falling out and making up, a little bit of attention seeking, some noob pwning, mixed in with a hell of a lot of good advice.

I've worked in the fitness industry for 15 years but I've still learned a lot from this thread. Things like: you can't gain muscle and lose fat at the same time. And... Long cardio stints will stop you gaining muscle mass. Things you seem to think are possible.

Some of the lads like to play with you for a while, but if you ask what's wrong with what you're saying, you'll eventually get a well thought out answer.

Wed: Chest&Tris

Incline/Decline barbell press: 2 warm up, 2 working sets to failure.

Decline/incline dumbbell press: 2 working sets to failure

Flyes : 1 warm up 2 working set to failure.

Tri push/press down: 1 warm 2working sets to failure

Tri overhead extension 2 working sets

Dips: 20 reps all in.

C.v 15 minute short sprints

Thurs: Back & Bis

Wide grip lat pull downs: 2 warm ups 2 worksets

Single arm rows 1 warm up 2 worksets

Partial deadlifts/bentover rows: 2 worksets

Cable rows 2 worksets

Pullovers: 2 worksets

Bis

Dumbbell curls: 2 worksets

Incline curls: 2 work sets

Hammer curls:2 work set

Cardio, 15 rowing machine

Sat:Shoulders & Traps

Military press:2 warmups, 2 work sets

Seated lat raises: 2 warmups, 2 work sets

Rear lats: 3 work sets

Shrugs: 3 work sets

Upright rows

Cardio: 20 min jog

Sun legs

Leg extensions: 2 warm up 2 work sets

Squats/leg press: 2 warmup, 2 work sets

leg curls: 2 warm up 2 work sets

Hack squat: 1 warm up, 2 work sets

Stiff leg deadlifts/barbell lunge/ 2 work sets

Cardio 15 mins stepper

All worksets to absolute failure ,80% 1rm with strict form

1mins rest between sets

Spots for forced couple reps on final worksets

Nae talking , posing, phones, cheating 45 mins hame. Does for me.

Edited by aussieh

Creepy Lurker

No muscle mass and fat loss combo is a myth. :)

Correct.

If you're a novice trainee - which it sounds like you are - it's a myth. Otherwise, you won't build muscle and burn fat at the same time.

Technically it might be possible to do it, very slowly, as part of a very strictly monitored recompositioning diet, but nonsense like 'lifting and doing cardio will let you build muscle and burn fat' is just incorrect. All the cardio will be doing is burning a few extra calories, reducing the surplus you're in and making you gain weight more slowly.

I get the feeling you've probably been lifting and dieting for about a year or so and have seen good results in that time, and now feel like you're qualified to give advice to people. When you've just started lifting, following pretty much any training programme will let you see results if you stick to it. That doesn't mean the programme's good or that you've somehow cracked the secret of muscle building.

Come on to ****. Weights and cardio to build muscle and burn fat. If it was that obvious, don't you think everyone'd be doing it?

You're the exact kind of person whose results will grind to a halt very soon, won't make any progress in the next three years and think it's due to some other factor than your training/diet because 'they worked at first'.

Cliffs: you got everything you know from fitness magazines and people trying to sell you things. You've literally not given one single piece of good advice on this thread. Stop it.

Still not getting into an argument here btw. This is my one and only detailed post on the subject.

Correct.

If you're a novice trainee - which it sounds like you are - it's a myth. Otherwise, you won't build muscle and burn fat at the same time.

Technically it might be possible to do it, very slowly, as part of a very strictly monitored recompositioning diet, but nonsense like 'lifting and doing cardio will let you build muscle and burn fat' is just incorrect. All the cardio will be doing is burning a few extra calories, reducing the surplus you're in and making you gain weight more slowly.

I get the feeling you've probably been lifting and dieting for about a year or so and have seen good results in that time, and now feel like you're qualified to give advice to people. When you've just started lifting, following pretty much any training programme will let you see results if you stick to it. That doesn't mean the programme's good or that you've somehow cracked the secret of muscle building.

Come on to ****. Weights and cardio to build muscle and burn fat. If it was that obvious, don't you think everyone'd be doing it?

You're the exact kind of person whose results will grind to a halt very soon, won't make any progress in the next three years and think it's due to some other factor than your training/diet because 'they worked at first'.

Cliffs: you got everything you know from fitness magazines and people trying to sell you things. You've literally not given one single piece of good advice on this thread. Stop it.

Still not getting into an argument here btw. This is my one and only detailed post on the subject.

As you said strict, thats my key word, who said cardio builds muscle cardios for my fitness levels. Not arguing with anybody. Im right :D

Creepy Lurker

Does it count as a breach of the board rules on personal abuse to tell a stupid person that they're stupid? Hypothetically.

Edit: wait, I just got the 'strict' reference. :lol: Plz give details of your 'strict' recomp diet and why it works.

Edited by Creepy Lurker

Snake Plissken

I don't think it's really necessary to suggest a stupid person is stupid when they make it so exceedingly obvious to everyone.

Not that this refers to anyone on this thread of course.

I don't think it's really necessary to suggest a stupid person is stupid when they make it so exceedingly obvious to everyone.

Not that this refers to anyone on this thread of course.

fascism still exists :D

Plz give details of your 'strict' recomp diet and why it works.

will do , take a while,i use my phone for this forum, its a nightmare.

THISGONBGUD.gif

you stick to your all over body workouts , everday.overtraining with no rests. I will do my stuff and take a bit creepies knowledge and put it to some use. As I said will get back to creepy, if he doesnt agree thats fine, its what I find works.

Snake Plissken

you stick to your all over body workouts , everday.overtraining with no rests. I will do my stuff and take a bit creepies knowledge and put it to some use. As I said will get back to creepy, if he doesnt agree thats fine, its what I find works.

:rofl:

U wot?

If you can't handle your terrible advice getting ripped, stop posting it. Read and learn from those of us who actually have the faintest idea of what we're talking about.

:rofl:

U wot?

If you can't handle your terrible advice getting ripped, stop posting it. Read and learn from those of us who actually have the faintest idea of what we're talking about.

Show me your published material. :D learn how to be a orange on a toothpick volume one.

Snake Plissken

"how to be a (sic) orange on a toothpick"

Very droll. So anyone who didn't previously eat themselves into morbid obesity is a skeleton, gotcha.

Still waiting on your diet, btw.

Thanks.

Edited by Snake Plissken

Listen man im only pulling your leg, I read through the thread, some good stuff and some other stuff, I thought they seem quite witty, a good laugh,would know when someones jesting, and some have good knowledge and certificates, I thought id join in , I didnt expect the preciousness, I train like a madman, and dont have reps certificates, but I also know fellow tradesmen with city & guilds that I wouldnt let near my house, so relax, im at my work ill post my 10 week diet in due course. I dont give advice to anyone, not that arrogant ,only what I do for myself.

Listen man im only pulling your leg, I read through the thread, some good stuff and some other stuff, I thought they seem quite witty, a good laugh,would know when someones jesting, and some have good knowledge and certificates, I thought id join in , I didnt expect the preciousness, I train like a madman, and dont have reps certificates, but I also know fellow tradesmen with city & guilds that I wouldnt let near my house, so relax, im at my work ill post my 10 week diet in due course. I dont give advice to anyone, not that arrogant ,only what I do for myself.

Hey mate.

I'm about to come off a 14 day Creatine cycle, can you recommend a PCT?

Snake Plissken

So after stalling for ages on 90kg on bench press, I decided to change tactics and do a sets of 5, 3 and 1.

Last Friday I did 85-90-100, yesterday I managed 87.5, 92.5, 102.5. It's minimal, but it's still progress, I don't now why my bench press is improving at such a slow rate. My other lifts are moving up quite steadily.

Anyone else have a lift they barely seem to progress in?

Guest C00l K1d

So after stalling for ages on 90kg on bench press, I decided to change tactics and do a sets of 5, 3 and 1.

Last Friday I did 85-90-100, yesterday I managed 87.5, 92.5, 102.5. It's minimal, but it's still progress, I don't now why my bench press is improving at such a slow rate. My other lifts are moving up quite steadily.

All them

Snake Plissken

All them

:lol:

Please tell us you've started lifting. You making it would be the heart-warming story of the year, the little engine that could.

#prayforsten

Will post more ankle exercises once sober.

Just saw this.

I've no luck the now man. Never had so many things interrupt my training. Brutal.

L7fAI6z.jpg

The People's Chimp

Bench. I think my approach has been wrong so going back to basics and trying a stronglifts(ish) approach to try and build it up. I have had a stop start summer into autumn and only now am i feeling I'm almost back to the strength I had at the start of the summer. Bench is pretty embarrassing at 67.5.

I've kind of stalled with squats as I don't want to push too much beyond 120 (when I'm feeling it) or 110 most other times. But then I do high reps, then add front squats so fairly content with those figures.

Sten, is it a break or a twist?

Edited by The People's Chimp

Basic exercises:

Flexion and extension. Use a towel or dressing gown chord round your toes to pull them towards you. This will stop your Achilles tightening up as much and help with squats.

Foot circles... 10 times clockwise, 10 times anti-clockwise... Repeat.

I found doing calf raises in water, swimming and Aqua jogging with a belt useful.

Calf stretch / squat: hold on to a door frame and move into a squat position, but instead of concentrating on going all the way down, focus on bringing your knee over your toes on the injured side. This will help to stretch the back of your ankle and get you back to squatting much quicker.

My bench has had the same problems, havent managed to add much to it recently. To be fair its been the same with most my lifts and it's probably because i havent changed up my programme in about 6 months.

So as of Monday i'm going to do the Wendler 5-3-1 workout plan to increase my lifts and change it up a bit. Looking forward to the change and hopefully see some progress again!

Creepy Lurker

Progress on my lifts was pretty slow to begin with after my broken arm but seems to be picking up now. For 5 reps they're as below:

Squat: 120kg

Bench: 80kg

Deadlift: 135kg

Military press: 55kg

Pendlay row: 65kg

Bodyweight just now is around 72kg.

None of those figures are very impressive and all are lower than pre-injury,but considering I literally had to start off with just the bar on all lifts involving my arm I think it's reasonable progress. Was just doing Starting Strength until this week, now moving onto Madcows 5x5 (which I like as it also includes sets of 3 and 8 on the big lifts). Also just added a bit of assistance stuff in over the past few weeks: dips, chins, hyperextensions, abs stuff, curls and tricep extensions. Still fairly lean, so if by the end of this bulk I can even get back to around my pre-injury lifts I'll be happy.

Just saw this.

I've no luck the now man. Never had so many things interrupt my training. Brutal.

L7fAI6z.jpg

Yikes. Torn the ligaments or just a bad sprain?

I tore my ankle ligaments years ago playing fives and it was brutal. Thankfully mine is completely normal again now - I know a couple of folk who have done their ankles and still get trouble with it many years on. Physio definitely recommended.

Oh and don't try and play fives before it's back to full strength. Set my recovery back by about 2 months by attempting this. 5 month recovery in total. :vrface:

Yikes. Torn the ligaments or just a bad sprain?

I tore my ankle ligaments years ago playing fives and it was brutal. Thankfully mine is completely normal again now - I know a couple of folk who have done their ankles and still get trouble with it many years on. Physio definitely recommended.

Oh and don't try and play fives before it's back to full strength. Set my recovery back by about 2 months by attempting this. 5 month recovery in total. :vrface:

I tried to walk to work and back & made it worse a week after doing my injury and made it worse (without turning it in to a pissing contest I would say mine was slightly worse than Sten's... It took 5 days to put any weight on it, then another 5 days after I made it worse).

I'd say Sten's is probably a stage 1 tear.

Creepy Lurker

I was toying with getting a punch bag for the bag garden, strikes me as a pretty good all round workout, anyone else got one?

You can get a really good workout on a punchbag. Personally think a heavy bag's best. Have you trained in a combat sport before? If not I reckon you'd be better off saving your money and just doing bodyweight stuff for cardio.