Fitness Thread

Mr Romanov Saviour of HMFC

Disser Pointon

You can get a really good workout on a punchbag. Personally think a heavy bag's best. Have you trained in a combat sport before? If not I reckon you'd be better off saving your money and just doing bodyweight stuff for cardio.

I haven't, just some bag work in the gym before. I don't have a gym membership any more and don't particularly like running so I thought the bag would be a good body and cardio workout?

Creepy Lurker

I haven't, just some bag work in the gym before. I don't have a gym membership any more and don't particularly like running so I thought the bag would be a good body and cardio workout?

It's up to you really if you want to get one. Personally think you'd be better off saving your money and just doing bodyweight circuits.

I'm trying to formulate a workout plan and for the first period I will need to do cardio to lose weight. I've been eyeing up doing a HIIT program - can you do any form of exercise so long as it is characterised by intense periods of effort followed by a rest period? How long should each session last in total?

I'm trying to formulate a workout plan and for the first period I will need to do cardio to lose weight. I've been eyeing up doing a HIIT program - can you do any form of exercise so long as it is characterised by intense periods of effort followed by a rest period? How long should each session last in total?

I've found that HIIT programmes that work all the major muscle groups are the most effective.

Metafit or a circuits based class that includes squats, press up's etc will work better than doing a HIIT programme on a treadmill or a bike.

I tried to walk to work and back & made it worse a week after doing my injury and made it worse (without turning it in to a pissing contest I would say mine was slightly worse than Sten's... It took 5 days to put any weight on it, then another 5 days after I made it worse).

I'd say Sten's is probably a stage 1 tear.

Yeah I foolishly never bothered even getting it checked out until week 2 when my ankle was still purple and swollen up to about twice the size of my other ankle. I was still attempting to hobble around on it during this time too. The doctor looked at me like I was an idiot when I said I hadn't had it examined before then, and he probably had a fair point.

Just a bad sprain. Thankfully. Still tender to touch and not got much mobility in it. Can walk without limp now though.

One week old now. Starting to see ankle bone again. Haha.

0J8rtU2.png

Im doing a lot of kettle bell exercises, press ups with 10kg weight on my back, cables and pull ups.

Creepy nailed it regarding being a novice. Although ive been going to the gym for a while, I hit a plataeu doing standard compound excercises with barbells and dumbells and then lost motivation but doing the exercises above with huge free range of movement has really seen rapid progress.

Im no expert as it shows but I eat pretty well (protein high foods with veg any carbs are usually brown carbs bread, pasta etc and consciously take on lots of water) I dont eat enogh to properly put on the mass I want though.

Edited by scott_jambo

Creepy Lurker

Arm felt weak as **** at MMA today :muggy:

Frustrating. Thought it'd been a lot better recently. Starting to wonder if it'll ever heal fully.

Snake Plissken

Few things feel better than hitting all your reps and sets on a lift you've not progressed on for a while.

:jjyay:

Finally nailed all three sets of five at 145kg on squats today so I'll be moving on up to 147.5 on Monday. Also managed a morsel of progress on bench with a five on 92.5kg - I want to crack two plates for reps by the year's end.

The People's Chimp

Fecking stop/start/stop/start. Work is an absolute killer. Leaving the office at 8 or 9 starving or tired does not really help with progress, or like last night just couldn't face making another 11pm stir fry. I'm just crying our for a steady run of a 3/4 weeks without interruptions. Not going to happen.

Just google - the problem with juice fasts.

I've done a fair bit of research and the problem i find, is that most of the criticism is coming from people with vested interests. In fact i just checked, the first 3 hits on your google search take you to alternative method websites.

Whilst the medical evidence specifically for "detoxing" in general is pretty strong, when it comes to juice fasting it's more a grey area. In fact most of the quotes i've read from Doctors have said along the lines :-

Drinking more water and replacing processed food with more fresh fruit and veg is a good thing. This is in essence what a juice fast does.

Just to be clear, i don't expect this to be a one off process, the idea is to fast, then slowly reintroduce, fibre, protein et al back into the diet but continue to juice as well.

1 last point and the reason i ask. A friend of mine has been suffering from severe gout for the last 3 months, his doctor (md) advised him to juice (twice a day) his other meal is protein and salad based. His gout has vanished and he's lost 5kg in 6 weeks (as a bonus).

I've done a fair bit of research and the problem i find, is that most of the criticism is coming from people with vested interests. In fact i just checked, the first 3 hits on your google search take you to alternative method websites.

Whilst the medical evidence specifically for "detoxing" in general is pretty strong, when it comes to juice fasting it's more a grey area. In fact most of the quotes i've read from Doctors have said along the lines :-

Drinking more water and replacing processed food with more fresh fruit and veg is a good thing. This is in essence what a juice fast does.

Just to be clear, i don't expect this to be a one off process, the idea is to fast, then slowly reintroduce, fibre, protein et al back into the diet but continue to juice as well.

1 last point and the reason i ask. A friend of mine has been suffering from severe gout for the last 3 months, his doctor (md) advised him to juice (twice a day) his other meal is protein and salad based. His gout has vanished and he's lost 5kg in 6 weeks (as a bonus).

Why not juice daily if it helps you get in your fruit / veg, but also eat protein, other veg and a sensible amount of low g.i. carbs from the beginning?

You'll not lose muscle tone like you would by fasting.

Juicing just takes out all the fibre from the fruit and vegetables (which fills you up as well as holding your shites together).

Also, you've neglected to mention the key component in weight loss which is exercise.

Most people who juice are looking for extreme weight loss solutions because they don't exercise enough.

If you don't exercise, then hey presto, that's you're problem.

If you do exercise and you have the will power to consume nothing but juice, then you should have the will power to stick to a healthy diet, because that's far easier than practically starving yourself & healthier in the long run.

Why not juice daily if it helps you get in your fruit / veg, but also eat protein, other veg and a sensible amount of low g.i. carbs from the beginning?

Juicing just takes out all the fibre from the fruit and vegetables (which fills you up as well as holding your shites together).

Also, you've neglected to mention the key component in weight loss which is exercise.

Most people who juice are looking for extreme weight loss solutions because they don't exercise enough.

If you do exercise and you have the will power to consume nothing but juice, then you should have the will power to stick to a healthy diet, because that's far easier than practically starving yourself & healthier in the long run.

I must admit after doing a ton of research over the last few days, i am coming to that way of thinking. Juice in the morning, protein at lunch, salad in the evening.

Exercise regime has already started.

Guest C00l K1d

I must admit after doing a ton of research over the last few days, i am coming to that way of thinking. Juice in the morning, protein at lunch, salad in the evening.

Exercise regime has already started.

Take steroids mate

Snake Plissken

Not really.

As much as I endorse the idea of regular exercise (obviously) it's not the key component.

It all comes down to calories in v calories out. Use more calories than you consume and the weight comes off, the calories you actually burn through exercise aren't nearly as many as you think. It's far easier to eat fewer calories than to attempt to burn them off through exercise. You could lose weight with barely any exercise and a terrible diet so long as you stay under your maintenance calories.

It's been done: http://www.today.com/health/man-loses-56-pounds-after-eating-only-mcdonalds-six-months-2D79329158

More than once: http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/

That is not to say I advocate following such diets (and neither do the men who did them) it's just to underline the point that the key component is actually the number of calories you consume. I don't disagree with most of your post, but you're overstating the importance of exercise in weight loss, it has a part to play but the aforementioned calories in v calories out will be the greatest factor in weight loss.

We're all in agreement that a 10-day juice fast is a stupid idea.

If you want to get more fruit and vegetables into your diet, just ******* eat them.

Not really.

As much as I endorse the idea of regular exercise (obviously) it's not the key component.

It all comes down to calories in v calories out. Use more calories than you consume and the weight comes off, the calories you actually burn through exercise aren't nearly as many as you think. It's far easier to eat fewer calories than to attempt to burn them off through exercise. You could lose weight with barely any exercise and a terrible diet so long as you stay under your maintenance calories.

It's been done: http://www.today.com/health/man-loses-56-pounds-after-eating-only-mcdonalds-six-months-2D79329158

More than once: http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/

That is not to say I advocate following such diets (and neither do the men who did them) it's just to underline the point that the key component is actually the number of calories you consume. I don't disagree with most of your post, but you're overstating the importance of exercise in weight loss, it has a part to play but the aforementioned calories in v calories out will be the greatest factor in weight loss.

We're all in agreement that a 10-day juice fast is a stupid idea.

If you want to get more fruit and vegetables into your diet, just ******* eat them.

I agree it's possible to lose weight without exercise.

Thought about changing the "the key component" to "a key component" but I didn't think anyone would split hairs.

There is of course the other benefits of exercise, but I wouldn't be telling anyone anything they didn't know.

Creepy Lurker

Going back to the 10 day juice fast, I think it's a stupid idea for a number of reasons.

Firstly, juicing vegetables isn't a bad thing in itself. A lot of people want to eat more vegetables for the nutrients but have busy lifestyles and can't fit it in: juicing allows them to prepare and consume multiple portions of veg in a matter of minutes. You lose the fibre, but if you're following a sensible diet then that isn't an issue. If you wouldn't have been eating the veg otherwise due to lack of time you aren't 'losing' any fibre anyway as you wouldn't have been eating it in the first place.

Short term juice fasts might, under certain circumstances, be just about okay for extremely obese individuals. Personally I still think they're sub-optimal as the low fat content will prevent absorption of fat soluble nutrients, but then again in the extremely obese they might eat into their body fat enough to mitigate that slightly.

Assuming missed98 is overweight but not extremely obese, it's silly and buys into the mentality that a 'diet' needs to be sackcloth and ashes type self-punishment. Not only is this unnecessary; it's unsustainable. How many people have you met who've told you about the fantastic diet that they lost loads of weight on and that they 'need to get back onto'? Probably loads and they're all talking shit. If their diet had been that fantastic it would've been sustainable in the long term, not a short term way to lose weight in a hurry and then put it back on. People infer that the diet was great and that they lacked willpower when the fact of the matter is that it was the diet that was deficient.

The response to this could be 'it's only for ten days, then I'll just follow a healthy diet'. If that's the case, why not just follow a healthy diet to start with? What do you realistically hope to achieve in ten days? The response to this would be 'it's to get me into good habits'. That also doesn't hold. After the ten days are up, juice fasting isn't the 'good habit' that you'll be following. Why not start the actual good habits that you intend to follow long-term?

People will often point at this stage to someone who lost loads of weight in their short term fast. They will have lost some by drastically reducing their calorie intake, but mainly the apparently magical results will have come from losing water and having less food in their system. This is the real reason why people put weight back on after coming off something like this; it's not, as they often think, because the juicing had magical effects and there's something inherently evil about carbs, fat, salt, gluten, dairy or whatever else is the devil this week. All they've done is manipulate their water levels.

Another thing that people often bring up is 'kick starting their metabolism'. This is just categorically untrue. Drastically reducing calories actually slows down your metabolism (ten days won't actually really do either in fairness as it's a long-term effect, but it certainly won't speed your metabolism up).

A final thing people often say is that they have loads of energy when they're juice fasting. Usually these are the same people who're constantly grumpy and will become hysterically defensive about their diet if challenged. They're basically just lying, to themselves and others. Their energy levels are shitty and that's why they're so grumpy all the time. Why else would they never actually stick to their diets?

That last bit's totally anecdotal, but it's also true.

Going back to the 10 day juice fast, I think it's a stupid idea for a number of reasons.

Firstly, juicing vegetables isn't a bad thing in itself. A lot of people want to eat more vegetables for the nutrients but have busy lifestyles and can't fit it in: juicing allows them to prepare and consume multiple portions of veg in a matter of minutes. You lose the fibre, but if you're following a sensible diet then that isn't an issue. If you wouldn't have been eating the veg otherwise due to lack of time you aren't 'losing' any fibre anyway as you wouldn't have been eating it in the first place.

Short term juice fasts might, under certain circumstances, be just about okay for extremely obese individuals. Personally I still think they're sub-optimal as the low fat content will prevent absorption of fat soluble nutrients, but then again in the extremely obese they might eat into their body fat enough to mitigate that slightly.

Assuming missed98 is overweight but not extremely obese, it's silly and buys into the mentality that a 'diet' needs to be sackcloth and ashes type self-punishment. Not only is this unnecessary; it's unsustainable. How many people have you met who've told you about the fantastic diet that they lost loads of weight on and that they 'need to get back onto'? Probably loads and they're all talking shit. If their diet had been that fantastic it would've been sustainable in the long term, not a short term way to lose weight in a hurry and then put it back on. People infer that the diet was great and that they lacked willpower when the fact of the matter is that it was the diet that was deficient.

The response to this could be 'it's only for ten days, then I'll just follow a healthy diet'. If that's the case, why not just follow a healthy diet to start with? What do you realistically hope to achieve in ten days? The response to this would be 'it's to get me into good habits'. That also doesn't hold. After the ten days are up, juice fasting isn't the 'good habit' that you'll be following. Why not start the actual good habits that you intend to follow long-term?

People will often point at this stage to someone who lost loads of weight in their short term fast. They will have lost some by drastically reducing their calorie intake, but mainly the apparently magical results will have come from losing water and having less food in their system. This is the real reason why people put weight back on after coming off something like this; it's not, as they often think, because the juicing had magical effects and there's something inherently evil about carbs, fat, salt, gluten, dairy or whatever else is the devil this week. All they've done is manipulate their water levels.

Another thing that people often bring up is 'kick starting their metabolism'. This is just categorically untrue. Drastically reducing calories actually slows down your metabolism (ten days won't actually really do either in fairness as it's a long-term effect, but it certainly won't speed your metabolism up).

A final thing people often say is that they have loads of energy when they're juice fasting. Usually these are the same people who're constantly grumpy and will become hysterically defensive about their diet if challenged. They're basically just lying, to themselves and others. Their energy levels are shitty and that's why they're so grumpy all the time. Why else would they never actually stick to their diets?

That last bit's totally anecdotal, but it's also true.

Im 54 and never had problems with my weight, 6-2 and now 15 stone, need to cut down on the beer.

The People's Chimp

Have an absolute whopper of a sprain to rival sten's from 5s yesterday. Worried as it's a recurrence of an injury from this summer.

:sob:

Neilson's Shank

Have an absolute whopper of a sprain to rival sten's from 5s yesterday. Worried as it's a recurrence of an injury from this summer.

:sob:

In true Kickback parlance "this post is useless without pictures"

Lancashire_Lou

Joined a gym at the start of December and really enjoying it. No programme set as such; I just go around and have a go on everything until I'm knackered/need to go home. 

Not bad for ?9.99 per month with all the classes free too.

The People's Chimp

Squatted for the first time since injuring my ankle last night. Wasn't too bad. Will probably be brutal DOMS on Saturday.

Improving my bench, working weight 75 (5x5) and can pyramid up to 85 (2 reps). Have been adding incline after flat bench, which seems to have helped a little. Do you think that just taking a stronglifts approach will be the best way to get the numbers up, or any other tips? Obviously 100 is the goal...

Snake Plissken

If you find you're stalling at a weight, sometimes it's a good idea to deload by about 20% and work your way back up, really focusing on form.  

If that doesn't help, pyramids are what worked for me.  I was stalling on 90kg for ages so I did a set of five at 90, three at 95 and one at 100, the following week I bumped each set up by 2.5 so 92.5, 97.5 and 102.5.  Once I was doing a single at 105, I went back to working sets of five and managed to bang out my sets and reps at 90.  I'm hoping to get up to 100 for sets and reps within a month or two.  

Working on the secondary muscles (delts and triceps) will also help.  

Also, if you have a spotter, try a few forced reps at a weight just above what you can do now.

The People's Chimp

Nice one. Yeah been pushing it with a spotter. Definitely feels like a pyramid up to a forced rep has been helping. Had been stalled at 65 for ages (missing sessions etc), but last 2 weeks have come on really well. Going all out for that 100. 

If you're looking for a programme, a mate of mine does the 4 week Jim Wendler cycle.  He's been cutting at the same time & his lifts have gradually gone up.  Once every 4 weeks, he does a deload week & it's defintely working for him

After months of constant issues and having to take time off or just lift light reps I've been doing 5x5 for a few weeks, then 5x3 for a few weeks.

A week on Monday I'll be testing my 1RM for Bench, Incline and OHP.

I've definitely lost strength but I'll post the results when the results are in.