National rail strikes planned by RMT

IronJambo

1 minute ago, Thunder and Lightning said:

Are you permanently seething about everything?

No, just the tories, the union and their sycophants. I'm not seething mate, just find it surreal that folk don't sympathise with their fellow workers but instead, back the ruling class instead. I don't get it.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IronJambo

• ri Alban

• Ked

• The Real Maroonblood

Thunder and Lightning
4 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

No, just the tories, the union and their sycophants. I'm not seething mate, just find it surreal that folk don't sympathise with their fellow workers but instead, back the ruling class instead. I don't get it.

Fair enough, I am struggling to see where support for the goverments position can be even an option.

Spitonastranger
26 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Those train drivers on £50k+ are really suffering.

Post something without research, well done. Also as has been explained previously its not only about pay. 

il Duce McTarkin
24 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

If you cant see how your post was a deflection attempt from the issue of the strikes to try and move it to attack "the lefties" instead, then I will assume you are a dumb tory lapdug who will swallow anything the tory party says or the Daily Mail prints.

See how that works?

It wasn't deflecting anything from anything. :lol:

I fully support the strikes, but my point about angry lefties is 100% accurate. You lot think everybody and anyone that isn't in some perpetual state of class rage is a Tory, and assume that everything  that anyone that isn't in some perpetual state of class rage says is a deflection or an attack.

Absolutely comical.

Edited by Dirk McTarkin

il Duce McTarkin
10 minutes ago, Spitonastranger said:

Aye thats it 😆

Absolutely.

If they spent as much time and energy getting a better job as they do bleating about imaginary injustices they'd be a lot happier.

3 minutes ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

Absolutely.

If they spent as much time and energy getting a better job as they do bleating about imaginary injustices they'd be a lot happier.

:rofl:A better job.

My job allows me to troll you lot whilst getting paid!

Spitonastranger
4 minutes ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

Absolutely.

But they do like striking protesting lobbying etc, it is only lazy people like you who do nothing but blame certain groups using lazy tropes as some king of argument 😃🙉🙈🙊 

il Duce McTarkin
Just now, Pans Jambo said:

What you're doing isn't, strictly speaking, trolling. Good to hear you're getting paid for it, though. It would be a shame to think you were wasting your free time on it.

1 minute ago, Dirk McTarkin said:

What you're doing isn't, strictly speaking, trolling. Good to hear you're getting paid for it, though. It would be a shame to think you were wasting your free time on it.

:fonzie:

il Duce McTarkin
3 minutes ago, Spitonastranger said:

But they do like striking protesting lobbying etc, it is only lazy people like you who do nothing but blame certain groups using lazy tropes as some king of argument 😃🙉🙈🙊 

^^^^ Word salad.

Spitonastranger
Just now, Dirk McTarkin said:

^^^^ Word salad.

Of course it is 😆 i would simplfy it for you but you probably still wouldnt understand 😄

Nucky Thompson
6 minutes ago, Pans Jambo said:

Aye, no wonder all you skivers are big on unions :lol:

Just now, Nucky Thompson said:

I'm on a days paid holiday today.

Wonder who managed to win that for us??? 🤔

il Duce McTarkin
Just now, Smithee said:

It really isn't

Aye it is.

2 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

:spoton:

If he spent less time seething and more time working he'd probably be Barnton Jambo.

il Duce McTarkin
1 minute ago, Pans Jambo said:

Literally STEALING from your employer.

Not an ounce of shame either.

Nucky Thompson
Just now, Pans Jambo said:

Wonder who managed to win that for us??? 🤔

Good for you, but I wouldn't be wasting my precious day off trolling folk on JKB :thumbsup:

il Duce McTarkin
Just now, Smithee said:

Hey, if it's beyond your understanding, good on you for admitting it in public!

Say's the guy who thinks it's ok to bump your debts. 

Say's the guy who thinks it's ok to bump your debts. 

**** me, you didn't understand that either?

il Duce McTarkin
1 minute ago, Smithee said:

**** me, you didn't understand that either?

I understand perfectly well what's happening here, Smithee, thanks.

I understand perfectly well what's happening here, Smithee, thanks.

You're welcome Guv, service with a smile

il Duce McTarkin
2 minutes ago, Smithee said:

You're welcome Guv, service with a smile

I'll admit to feeling a bit flattered, tbh.

3 hours ago, Pans Jambo said:

Are they ALL train drivers Frank? All of them on £50K+?

What if they were on £50K+ 6 years ago and still on the same now? Inflation not an issue then?

And then there's the threat of redundancies and unsafe working practices etc.

the £50K+ headline is just a Daily Mail type headline to deflect the attention away from the issue.

I do like how the people in the media such as Kay Burely, Jeremy Vine, Jeremy Kyle and the such like to shit on these strikes and talk about 50k a year train drivers wages whilst themselves earning hundreds of thousands a year. 

4 hours ago, Dennis Reynolds said:

The RMT doesn't represent train drivers. It's mental how often this needs to be said.

You often find the thickest people in society are also the most ignorant 

7 hours ago, frankblack said:

So those guys aren't striking this time.  Makes a change.

While I appreciate the Tories have ****ed the economy, you need to pay wage rises from profits.  I'd be interested to see the min and max salary range of those on strike over cost of living.

The rmt strike is more about changes to terms and conditions plus 1000s of redundancy’s….Some of them are fighting to save their jobs, If it was as straight forward as just a pay rise it would probably have been sorted a long time ago 

Nucky Thompson
1 hour ago, theshed said:

The rmt strike is more about changes to terms and conditions plus 1000s of redundancy’s….Some of them are fighting to save their jobs, If it was as straight forward as just a pay rise it would probably have been sorted a long time ago 

What if their jobs become obsolete?

You've got to move with the times and some jobs might not be viable anymore

For example, more people are banking and shopping online so bank branches and shops will shut as a consequence

30 minutes ago, Nucky Thompson said:

For example, more people are banking and shopping online so bank branches and shops will shut as a consequence

More people are also working from home with maybe 2 days commuting to the office in hybrid working.  That means fewer rail season tickets purchased and fewer workers needed.

Even using their own stats the usage is at best only 75% compared to a few years ago.

We have one of the worst railways in Europe and if it doesn't modernise then that won't improve any time soon.

Heard this while out and about a week ago and thought it pretty telling, mainly the bit about

'productivity', essentially starts at 3 minutes in. Also reminded me of another bit on the radio quoting the Liz Truss speech way back about british workers generally lacking the application/mindset wrt to work to become more proserous (in relation to some others, ie China).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/p0df7j3k

Edited by ArcticJambo

1 hour ago, frankblack said:

More people are also working from home with maybe 2 days commuting to the office in hybrid working.  That means fewer rail season tickets purchased and fewer workers needed.

Even using their own stats the usage is at best only 75% compared to a few years ago.

We have one of the worst railways in Europe and if it doesn't modernise then that won't improve any time soon.

Wrong

1 hour ago, IronJambo said:

Wrong

Not from my reading of the data linked below from government statistics.

https://dataportal.orr.gov.uk/statistics/usage/passenger-rail-usage/

• Total passenger revenue was £2.1 billion in the latest quarter. This equates to 70.4% of the £3.0 billion three years ago (when using 1 April to 30 June 2022 prices).

10 minutes ago, frankblack said:

Not from my reading of the data linked below from government statistics.

https://dataportal.orr.gov.uk/statistics/usage/passenger-rail-usage/

• Total passenger revenue was £2.1 billion in the latest quarter. This equates to 70.4% of the £3.0 billion three years ago (when using 1 April to 30 June 2022 prices).

If you're going to look at one specific quarter, only fair to include all the information.

https://dataportal.orr.gov.uk/media/2124/passenger-rail-usage-apr-jun-2022.pdf

"Strike action

In the latest quarter, strike action by the RMT union took place on 21, 23 and 25 June. In response a reduced timetable was put in place on the strike days and the days between (22 and 24 June). Compared with the equivalent days in the week before and the week after the strikes, the trains planned in Great Britain were down by around 80% on the strike days and by around 25% on the days between the strike days."

So 3 days operating at 20% and 2 at 75%

I see that actual usage was 75.8% compared to 3 years earlier despite losing such a chunk.

The Mighty Thor
9 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

What if their jobs are viable and the whole thing is about profitability in the 'no lose' franchise system of the rail network? 

20 hours ago, IronJambo said:

It's my colleagues and I that are out of pocket pal. Cycle, take a bus, drive, get a cab.  Use a hoverboard for all it matters to me. 

If striking didn't cause any sort of inconvenience there would be no point in doing so. You can thank your Tory pals.

Of course you’re out of pocket IJ you didn’t go to work. You think because passengers get ticket refunds they aren’t out of pocket ? Looks like you can get to work when other parts of the network are striking so **** everyone else ? And it was just passengers that were selfish arseholes ? 😂

Again though it just shows you don’t care about the impact on your customers so you really shouldn’t be surprised when zero ****s are given about you. 

1 hour ago, Dazo said:

Of course you’re out of pocket IJ you didn’t go to work. You think because passengers get ticket refunds they aren’t out of pocket ? Looks like you can get to work when other parts of the network are striking so **** everyone else ? And it was just passengers that were selfish arseholes ? 😂

Again though it just shows you don’t care about the impact on your customers so you really shouldn’t be surprised when zero ****s are given about you. 

You talk complete and utter nonsense.

4 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

You talk complete and utter nonsense.

Cheers, you’re a striker who doesn’t like the truth. Everything I said is what you’ve  posted on here. If you don’t like it maybe hide how you really feel about your customers. 👍

Nucky Thompson
3 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

What if their jobs are viable and the whole thing is about profitability in the 'no lose' franchise system of the rail network? 

If their jobs are viable then they should be paid a decent wage increase.

I'm self-employed and if any of my clients tell me that they've had to restructure and can't afford my services anymore, then that's tough on me.

Same as I've got to remain competitive and can't raise my prices in line with inflation or I would lose loads of customers.

A lot of businesses need to absorb some of the extra costs

fabienleclerq
21 hours ago, frankblack said:

Those train drivers on £50k+ are really suffering.

Good to see you've not done even the most basic of research before spouting utter shite.

4 minutes ago, fabienleclerq said:

Good to see you've not done even the most basic of research before spouting utter shite.

Yep, some are on £60k+. 😂

To be fair as an average I don’t think his figure was that far away. 

fabienleclerq
12 hours ago, frankblack said:

It's not 75% usage, might be 75% of turnover.

Also this modernise stuff, what do you mean exactly? The railway has modernised, it seems a buzzword to hide the fact they wanna make redundancies to make more profit. 

They are cutting safety related jobs and slashing terms so shareholders make more money not to benefit the public.

fabienleclerq
5 minutes ago, Dazo said:

Yep, some are on £60k+. 😂

To be fair as an average I don’t think his figure was that far away. 

All correct, as the thread is about RMT strikes its about as relevant as your salary!

Folk read a poor headline and jump in two footed. Gateline at Edinburgh are under 20k iirc it's more for people like that. 

I've no complaints with my salary tbh but if it stays the same and inflation rises then its less attractive. 

Edited by fabienleclerq

1 hour ago, fabienleclerq said:

All correct, as the thread is about RMT strikes its about as relevant as your salary!

Folk read a poor headline and jump in two footed. Gateline at Edinburgh are under 20k iirc it's more for people like that. 

I've no complaints with my salary tbh but if it stays the same and inflation rises then its less attractive. 

To be fair the thread has moved on from the thread title to covering the strikes all over the rail network. 

Your last sentence is balanced and fair enough. Inflation as the barometer is all a bit hypocritical  for me as no one is screaming for 1% rise when inflation is low. 

3 hours ago, Dazo said:

Cheers, you’re a striker who doesn’t like the truth. Everything I said is what you’ve  posted on here. If you don’t like it maybe hide how you really feel about your customers. 👍

You're confusing how I've retorted to you when you've posted as a self entitled ignorant whingebag with how I feel about customers. You don't have the first clue how I feel about my customers.

Understand that you don't exist as a customer if we lose this fight. We lose this and you're a number on a seat/in a vestibule with your face in an armpit. There won't be anyone in a ticket office to help you or anyone left on a train to help if your journeys gone wrong. You won't even be able to buy a bottle of water on a 6 hour journey. I'm the guy that bitches at control and refuses to take a service until they swap a short formed train back to what it should be(this gives another 300 people a chance of a sitting in their booked seat). That guy won't exist if that have their way. Understand that if we lose this vulnerable people will be more at risk on trains. A larger number of people in wheelchairs will be left on platforms, a larger number of people in wheelchairs will miss their stops (regularly). A larger number of people that need assistance at their destination just won't get that help they need. I'm sure you don't fit into any of the above but good luck to you if you do and we lose this fight.

9 minutes ago, Dazo said:

To be fair the thread has moved on from the thread title to covering the strikes all over the rail network. 

Your last sentence is balanced and fair enough. Inflation as the barometer is all a bit hypocritical  for me as no one is screaming for 1% rise when inflation is low. 

We've had some poor pay rises around the 1% mark in the previous 10 years which has seen our wage fall way behind the level it used to be at. We've never been on strike over pay or been treated how we're being treated just now though. There's every chance we would be on strike just over pay just now but it just happens that there are many more important things at stake along with it.

Edited by IronJambo