National rail strikes planned by RMT

IronJambo

49 minutes ago, IronJambo said:

There are many driver only services and usually it's fine. I'm not going to say it's unsafe. 

Extension of driver only services is a dangerous road to go down though. Trap and drag incidents where someone gets their hand/coat/bag caught in a door and they get pulled down the platform (or further) are more common in this method of working (almost nullified with a guard).

Little or no communication from a driver during disruption or after an accident can cause panic emergency evacuations onto running lines where they've a risk of being hit by an oncoming train unawares and there may also be electricity powering 3rd rails (750 volts DC) or overhead wires (25,000 volts AC). If you imagine your by a straight part of track, it takes something like 25 or 30 seconds for a train travelling at 125mph to come into sight and disappear out of sight. I guess that's 12-15 seconds to get out the way if you even see it coming.

Common assault and sexual assault are also much more prevalent on driver only services. People feel and generally are safer on trains with staff on them. 

👍 Good luck.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• IronJambo

• ri Alban

• Ked

• The Real Maroonblood

Dusk_Till_Dawn

Sadly, it feels like the RMT might come out on the wrong side of this. I wonder if on reflection they’ll think this was a bad time to strike. I totally see why they are but it’s an open goal for the Daily Mail and so on to turn the tide against them. Yesterday I was stood by a picket line for quite a while (just observing) waiting for the bus. The folk manning it were getting a fair amount of negative hassle from passers by. They were also shivering to death, bless them. Must be tough keeping morale up.

52 minutes ago, Dusk_Till_Dawn said:

Sadly, it feels like the RMT might come out on the wrong side of this. I wonder if on reflection they’ll think this was a bad time to strike. I totally see why they are but it’s an open goal for the Daily Mail and so on to turn the tide against them. Yesterday I was stood by a picket line for quite a while (just observing) waiting for the bus. The folk manning it were getting a fair amount of negative hassle from passers by. They were also shivering to death, bless them. Must be tough keeping morale up.

It had to happen unfortunately and we don't get to choose the timing of it really. The "pay offer" they presented last week shows exactly what the government has been planning to implement. Covid has given them the push and reason (for the fickle and unquestioning) to try and obliterate jobs and t&c's. If we were to have sat back any longer we would be seeing jobs disappear before our eyes.

I doubt we would be striking for pay alone, that's just a very small part of it.

How folk can take sides against the working folk, for this piece of shite Tory government, should be beyond me, then I remember Brexit and the dinghies.

The Mighty Thor
15 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

How folk can take sides against the working folk, for this piece of shite Tory government, should be beyond me, then I remember Brexit and the dinghies.

Oh to dream of plane loads heading to Rwanda.

Happier times.

5 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Oh to dream of plane loads heading to Rwanda.

Happier times.

This Island is going to shit and it seem like we're going to be swimming in it, whether we like it or not. 

You'd think the cost of energy would be the last straw for Scotland. 

The Mighty Thor
1 minute ago, ri Alban said:

This Island is going to shit and it seem like we're going to be swimming in it, whether we like it or not. 

You'd think the cost of energy would be the last straw for Scotland. 

You would imagine that people all over the UK would be raging about the strikes and the reasons for them but unfortunately the way of the world nowadays would appear to be if it doesn't affect me, I don't give a shiny shite about it.

I'm out on Friday and would normally get the train home. Instead I'll have a 90 minute bus journey (with a 60 minute bladder).

However I support the Rail workers and the posties, the nurses, the fire service, the paramedics, the teachers. All of them. 👍 

Nucky Thompson
14 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

You would imagine that people all over the UK would be raging about the strikes and the reasons for them but unfortunately the way of the world nowadays would appear to be if it doesn't affect me, I don't give a shiny shite about it.

I'm out on Friday and would normally get the train home. Instead I'll have a 90 minute bus journey (with a 60 minute bladder).

However I support the Rail workers and the posties, the nurses, the fire service, the paramedics, the teachers. All of them. 👍 

I hope you piss your pants :biggrin2:

Shooter McGavin
3 hours ago, Cade said:

I remember when this fellas videos used to be satirical…

Now it just makes me sad how accurately he sums up the right-wing ****wits in this country, and the gaslighting media they consume.

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Nucky Thompson said:

I hope you piss your pants :biggrin2:

There's a very very high likelihood. 😂

Last time I had to bail out at Haddington and take the hit on a taxi fare :muggy:

Dusk_Till_Dawn
2 hours ago, IronJambo said:

It had to happen unfortunately and we don't get to choose the timing of it really. The "pay offer" they presented last week shows exactly what the government has been planning to implement. Covid has given them the push and reason (for the fickle and unquestioning) to try and obliterate jobs and t&c's. If we were to have sat back any longer we would be seeing jobs disappear before our eyes.

I doubt we would be striking for pay alone, that's just a very small part of it.

Yeah, it sounds like pay isn’t the be all and end all. Unfortunately, the ‘these ***** ruined Christmas’ narrative is now in full flow as the press does the government’s job for it. I hope the RMT gets a result. You don’t have to be very clever to realise what happens when the government gets no resistance to squeezing public sector workers 

Nucky Thompson
1 minute ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Last time I had to bail out at Haddington and take the hit on a taxi fare :muggy:

Not so good.

When we were at Musselburgh races last Christmas, I had to jump off the No26 bus to Corstorphine 3 times. Luckily I had a day saver.

I'm guessing you live somewhere like Dunbar?

north wales jambo

Fully support employees, for taking strike action or withdrawal of time, when talks at a sensible and realistic award are exhausted..

Employees t&c’s are being eroded or taken away, there workloads are increasing and benefits stopped. 

With sky high increases in cost of living only to get harder, is it unreasonable for people to try and get the best deal or deal that the majority can accept. How can government (Sunak) etc and well paid safe executives whose remit is to keep shareholders happy, with salaries in excess of £100k understand cost of living crisis, give me a break, bread going up 20p utilities £100 a month + does not affect these people.. 

Ive never been a staunch union member, but definitely wealth difference in the country is a disgrace.. 

Good luck to any individual with industrial action, I hope you get a deal you can accept.. 

7 minutes ago, The Hogfather said:

I genuinely cannot fathom how anyone doesn't get this.

Swathes of the zombies that shuffle about this basket case of a country are more interested in brown folk in dinghies. Britain's ****ed and most of the Brits didn't even put up a fight. 

The Real Maroonblood
19 minutes ago, north wales jambo said:

Fully support employees, for taking strike action or withdrawal of time, when talks at a sensible and realistic award are exhausted..

Employees t&c’s are being eroded or taken away, there workloads are increasing and benefits stopped. 

With sky high increases in cost of living only to get harder, is it unreasonable for people to try and get the best deal or deal that the majority can accept. How can government (Sunak) etc and well paid safe executives whose remit is to keep shareholders happy, with salaries in excess of £100k understand cost of living crisis, give me a break, bread going up 20p utilities £100 a month + does not affect these people.. 

Ive never been a staunch union member, but definitely wealth difference in the country is a disgrace.. 

Good luck to any individual with industrial action, I hope you get a deal you can accept.. 

Good post. 

The Mighty Thor
2 hours ago, Nucky Thompson said:

Not so good.

When we were at Musselburgh races last Christmas, I had to jump off the No26 bus to Corstorphine 3 times. Luckily I had a day saver.

I'm guessing you live somewhere like Dunbar?

Yip I'm in Dunbar.

20 minutes on the train or the full east coast buses tour of East Lothian on the X7.

Might need to get off the pints early doors 😂

The Hogfather
1 hour ago, the posh bit said:

Swathes of the zombies that shuffle about this basket case of a country are more interested in brown folk in dinghies. Britain's ****ed and most of the Brits didn't even put up a fight. 

I’m sure the racists in Sunderland are delighted about the massive cost of living increases and that, because we took back our borders. 

Shooter McGavin
1 hour ago, the posh bit said:

There are people who will, with a straight face, tell you that some migrant family huddled together in a boat across the channel with no possessions and no money, are the reason the country is f*****

:facepalm:

The Sun, Daily Mail, Farage etc have completely gas-lit these soft minded morons into believing such nonsense.

1 hour ago, Shooter McGavin said:

There are people who will, with a straight face, tell you that some migrant family huddled together in a boat across the channel with no possessions and no money, are the reason the country is f*****

:facepalm:

The Sun, Daily Mail, Farage etc have completely gas-lit these soft minded morons into believing such nonsense.

Yup. 

1 hour ago, The Hogfather said:

I’m sure the racists in Sunderland are delighted about the massive cost of living increases and that, because we took back our borders. 

They deserve the life of shite that's coming their way. **** 'em. 

The private sector has been in a race to the bottom for years - big companies exist to make money, end of. I work for a big PLC and I'm sure that if they could get away with paying the staff absolutely nothing they would do so. It seems that the public sector are looking to get in on the act with poor pay offers and the erosion of terms and conditions. Meanwhile the richest, i.e. those who basically own everything, appear to be becoming richer year on year on year.

Inflation is just the greed of the rich pushing up prices for the vast (not rich) majority of the population so that their profits and wealth can increase at a faster rate. Watch and see how many big companies report a sharp fall in profits this year while prices have rocketed everywhere...., it won't be many.  

Hope the strikers win but just can't see the Gov backing down. 

I work in private sector and the company I work for makes billions. We got 7%.  So after tax etc it’s half that.
Not great at all given profits but we voted to accept it.  No change to conditions or pensions though which is critical.  I get why they are striking but it sucks.  World is feked up place right now. 2022 and crapping it putting the heating on !!!!!

It’s just shite

The current state of affairs:

Dear RMT Member

DEFEND JOBS, PAY & CONDITIONS - TRAIN OPERATING COMPANIES & NETWORK RAIL

I attended talks convened by the Rail Minster Huw Merriman tonight, with Network Rail and the Rail Delivery Group also in attendance, and it was agreed to hold further discussions.

The minister requested further talks between your union and the employers in order to find resolutions.

These meetings will be arranged but in the meantime all industrial action remains in place.

I will of course keep you updated with details of all further developments.

This has been another week of magnificent, solid industrial action by you and your colleagues and I have no doubt this will continue into the weekend.

Thanks again for supporting your union throughout this dispute.

Yours sincerely,

Michael Lynch

General Secretary

I must admit I have been hugely impressed by Lynch during his 'interviews.' He shows great calm and purpose when 'interviewed' by rabid arsewipes that just shout and rant over the top of him and some of his comebacks have been golden. 

I was however, hugely disappointed with him when Richard Madeley slavered about how his actions were going to affect the retail sector. That was an open goal, Mick. A ****ing tap in. 🙄😔

Edited by the posh bit

Royal Mail vows to ignore striking workers as thousands cross picket line

Company leaders say they have built up £1.7bn war chest as union battle continues.

SectionDJambo
11 minutes ago, maroondevo52 said:

Royal Mail vows to ignore striking workers as thousands cross picket line

Company leaders say they have built up £1.7bn war chest as union battle continues.

So they have the means to actually settle without a strike? Having said that, the Union says it’s more about what Royal Mail management intend to do to this national institution in the new year. This country is Donald. I speak as an older guy who lived through the 70s. This is much more sinister and driven by corporate greed. 

11 minutes ago, SectionDJambo said:

sinister and driven by corporate greed. 

We should embrace that as a tagline for the UK, People dig an honest advertising campaign.

Green, rolling fields and blue skies fade to a close up of a union jack, slow motion fluttering in the breeze.

That M&S bird goes

"The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

"Sinister. And driven by corporate greed"

GSTK starts and king sausage fingers appears, smiling benignly, before turning into a bat and regally flying away.

I had post delivered today. Unless the person the Christmas card was from drove from Edinburgh to Burton and put a stamp on the envelope for a giggle!!! 

On 15/12/2022 at 22:51, SectionDJambo said:

So they have the means to actually settle without a strike? Having said that, the Union says it’s more about what Royal Mail management intend to do to this national institution in the new year. This country is Donald. I speak as an older guy who lived through the 70s. This is much more sinister and driven by corporate greed. 

Didn't they warn of a substantial number of job losses.  I wonder how they will decide who to pick... 🤔

On 14/12/2022 at 17:48, The Mighty Thor said:

small price to pay for showing solidarity, comrade 😁

On 14/12/2022 at 15:49, ri Alban said:

:clap:

1 hour ago, ri Alban said:

Thanks for sharing though I'm not sure why the government wouldn't want it seen. Without a BBC journo to kick around he just comes across as a bitter communist somewhere left of Jeremy Corbyn. Wonder if he's about to stand for election somewhere?

1 hour ago, Japan Jambo said:

Thanks for sharing though I'm not sure why the government wouldn't want it seen. Without a BBC journo to kick around he just comes across as a bitter communist somewhere left of Jeremy Corbyn. Wonder if he's about to stand for election somewhere?

The commie accusations are pathetic and lazy with no substance often delivered by people who have no clue what communism actually is. 

1 hour ago, Japan Jambo said:

No bother Mr Clarkson.

48 minutes ago, AlimOzturk said:

The commie accusations are pathetic and lazy with no substance often delivered by people who have no clue what communism actually is. 

in your opinion. People can watch and form their own views, given the audience here I 'm posting in the full knowledge that I'm most likely on a hiding to nothing but I'd imagine that some will find him too radical for their tastes despite any admiration they may have harboured for the way he's gone about things.

40 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

No bother Mr Clarkson.

🤣 fair enough

The Mighty Thor
6 hours ago, Japan Jambo said:

small price to pay for showing solidarity, comrade 😁

I was channeling that thought as my back teeth were floating on the bus home on Friday night ☹️

5 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

I was channeling that thought as my back teeth were floating on the bus home on Friday night ☹️

horrible feeling that

Looks like they are running on 2nd (derby day) which has changed, although on strike now on the 5th.

glad for me personally as hopefullly can get some beers celebrating rather than have to drive

Edited by 1971fozzy

Another day closer to a general strike I think, especially when you have government ministers trying to demonise health care workers, by accusing them of making a conscious choice to harm patients.

Patients are being put in harms way every fecking day of the week, because of a lack of staff, not just nurses but ambulance crew, doctors, porters the whole NHS, but the media rarely ever report or question the government about this.

Jeffros Furios
1 minute ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Another day closer to a general strike I think, especially when you have government ministers trying to demonise health care workers, by accusing them of making a conscious choice to harm patients.

Patients are being put in harms way every fecking day of the week, because of a lack of staff, not just nurses but ambulance crew, doctors, porters the whole NHS, but the media rarely ever report or question the government about this.

The public should be protesting in the streets not just the workers  , 100's billions spunked in the last few years.. services decimated and working conditions eroded .. The economy's ****ed and Brexit has been a disaster .

These jokers need kicked out and let Starmer try and negotiate a deal with the EU re workers and trade .

The Daily Mail and GB News need closed down as they keep brainwashing the easily led bigots and thickos .

I've never been so angry as I  have been these last few years ..the Tories are self serving cheating thieving scum .

And breathe :)

Nucky Thompson
22 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

I think it was the Unions that Harper was accusing

24 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Barclay's comments are vile.  Boy's a cretinous scumbag.