energy prices

Masonic

9 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Our local shop been in the same hands for 30 years.Jacked it in 3 months ago.Shop is up for sale or lease with no takers as yet.I expect many more will follow.

Of course there will. We are in recession. We don't need the media to tell us when it is or isn't.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Jambo-Jimbo

• Unknown user

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, doctor jambo said:

There should be NO profits for companies that provide life essential services , where there are no alternatives available until this is over.

The windfall tax should be 100% of profit.

There should be no profit in pain and suffering.

it’s either that or many businesses are going to collapse, and many people starving and freezing.

energy bills come down and so do food prices etc, and inflation will follow.

An example of the type of radical,  apolitical thought that is required to meet this challenge,  if attemped from the premise of doing so to help people.  But ingrained greed,  pathological selfishness,  political / personal career interest and basic stupidity / gullibility prevents that kind of approach even reaching the starting tape.

Doctor FinnBarr
1 minute ago, Victorian said:

An example of the type of radical,  apolitical thought that is required to meet this challenge,  if attemped from the premise of doing so to help people.  But ingrained greed,  pathological selfishness,  political / personal career interest and basic stupidity / gullibility prevents that kind of approach even reaching the starting tape.

Yip

13 minutes ago, Boab said:

C'mon, D, it's not that. 

As it hits, people will do what they need to do to get through this winter.

It's condescending to query how much people should be spending on food...and questioning it !

It's classic Tory speak to talk about work harder etc ! They are the ones who should be getting everyone's ire, not how much we spend on a weekly shop ffs !

They could overhaul OFGEM quite easily. The resignation of a director tells you everything you need to know about how the government are acting.

It's condescending to question a hypothetical food bill?

Gie's a break ffs.

I'm not standing lecturing someone in Tesco. I'm saying a made up budget where £14 a day on food was attributed to a single adult would be a good area to save money on.

Do let me know the impact feeling angry at the government has on your heating bills.

My ire is only directed at the government. Suggesting the middle class could ease the burden on themselves if they're spending the way Thor suggested isn't ire 

Edited by Taffin

12 minutes ago, Boab said:

C'mon, D, it's not that. 

As it hits, people will do what they need to do to get through this winter.

It's condescending to query how much people should be spending on food...and questioning it !

It's classic Tory speak to talk about work harder etc ! They are the ones who should be getting everyone's ire, not how much we spend on a weekly shop ffs !

They could overhaul OFGEM quite easily. The resignation of a director tells you everything you need to know about how the government are acting.

It looks like he queried those things when daft numbers were getting chucked about. 

No one is denying something could/should be done. Until that time though ? Cut your cloth accordingly. Up to a point obviously but it doesn’t matter what you earn we’ll need to make adjustments. 

WorldChampions1902
29 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

What costs? 
i paid all my bills and continue to do so after my provider went under.

a company goes under then that is that

new provider, higher bills but so what? Where is the extra cost?

The cost of transferring customers of the 28 energy firms that went bust last year added £100 to every home’s Electricity standing charges alone. Just a small example of the epic failure of energy privatisation which of course we consumers, continue to pay for.

2 minutes ago, WorldChampions1902 said:

The cost of transferring customers of the 28 energy firms that went bust last year added £100 to every home’s Electricity standing charges alone. Just a small example of the epic failure of energy privatisation which of course we consumers, continue to pay for.

A scandal that barely gets a mention.  An example of an obsolete economic ideology that no longer serves the interests of people or the economy.  Only the spivs and political parasites sustained by it.

The latest morally bankrupt snakery is to blame everything on the new bogus construct of 'Treasury orthodoxy'.  An amorphous new enemy that's being portrayed as the thing that has been preventing the spectacularly effective fiscal policies they had up their sleeve all along.  A profoundly dishonest con trick to distance themselves from responsibility.  

An invented construct to justify the latest pretend reinvention of the same corrupt gang.

12 minutes ago, Victorian said:

A scandal that barely gets a mention.  An example of an obsolete economic ideology that no longer serves the interests of people or the economy.  Only the spivs and political parasites sustained by it.

Barely gets a mention, probably because most people don't know about.

40 minutes ago, Taffin said:

It's condescending to question a hypothetical food bill?

Gie's a break ffs.

I'm not standing lecturing someone in Tesco. I'm saying a made up budget where £14 a day on food was attributed to a single adult would be a good area to save money on.

Do let me know the impact feeling angry at the government has on your heating bills.

My ire is only directed at the government. Suggesting the middle class could ease the burden on themselves if they're spending the way Thor suggested isn't ire 

Well we are in agreement that the ire should be directed towards the government, which links your previous paragraph.

Everyone's heating bills might be less if people stop feeling angry and doing something more proactive like not voting for the b******s in the first place, because we know, or should, who they will look after, and it ain't us !

People "tightening their belts" makes things worse.

They're spending less on things.

So the companies providing these things get less income.

So they cut staff.

So household income drops, so they spend less, and so on and so on and round we go again.

That's when a recession becomes a depression.

Then eventually prices have to come down, or businesses will go out of business due to having no customers.

But this then leads to deflation, which can be even worse than inflation.

If you know prices are falling, why buy something today when it'll be cheaper next month?

So people end up not spending in the hope of cheaper prices later.

So businesses cut price again to entice people to spend.

This just makes it worse as people expect even more bargains in the future and don't spend now.

Then all the businesses do go under, as they have no custom.

Then we're right back into depression territory, despite prices falling and the cost of living coming down.

And how come every time things get tough it's always "tell the workers to go on less holidays, buy less phones and cancel sky"  and not "tell the bosses to buy fewer yachts and sports cars and pay their workers better"?

Edited by Cade

The Mighty Thor
2 hours ago, Taffin said:

If people spend a lot, then yes. 

£150 a month council tax?!? That's band E territory. If a single person on £25k is in a band E property they'll generally be sharing and won't be paying the full amount themselves and shared rent will only be near £700 in the most expensive places. 

£14 quid a day on food as well, that's precisely what jonesy and I were talking about. What are they eating smoked salmon for every meal?

I worked mine out for my initial post on this subject, was just under £1000 per month. Including insurance, broadband and mobile.

Mate I was sitting in the car, pulling up random numbers out my head;

Rent - I'm seeing £700 as an average for a one bed. I'm actually seeing a whole lot higher than that too.

Council Tax - Band B is approx £1400 less 25% single person discount - around 90 quid

Food - Okay so suppose you go full Aldi and don't eat, 3 meals a day plus drinks etc, what you looking at £8 quid a day £240 a month

broadband - £25

Phone £ 25

I forgot insurances - £15

Gas & Leccy - £300

so out of your monthly income of £1661 you'll have around £270 left to get to and from work and to clothe yourself.  

There's not a lot of fat there to trim and that's you having no life outside of going to and from work. No Bevvying, No Tynecastle, Nowt. 

1 hour ago, Boab said:

Well we are in agreement that the ire should be directed towards the government, which links your previous paragraph.

Everyone's heating bills might be less if people stop feeling angry and doing something more proactive like not voting for the b******s in the first place, because we know, or should, who they will look after, and it ain't us !

We can but hope. I have no faith though that even a winter like many are about to face will see enough people change their views ☹️

18 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Rent - I'm seeing £700 as an average for a one bed. I'm actually seeing a whole lot higher than that too.

Council Tax - Band B is approx £1400 less 25% single person discount - around 90 quid

Food - Okay so suppose you go full Aldi and don't eat, 3 meals a day plus drinks etc, what you looking at £8 quid a day £240 a month

broadband - £25

Phone £ 25

Gas & Leccy - £300

so out of your monthly income of £1661 you'll have around £270 left to get to and from work and to clothe yourself.  

There's not a lot of fat there to trim and that's you having no life outside of going to and from work. No Bevvying, No Tynecastle, Nowt. 

You're making it sound like eating off less than a tenner a day is some kind of poverty.

My breakfast was 2 wraps with black pudding and eggs. Was about £2 worth, lunch was cannellini bean salad about £1.50 and dinner I've no idea yet but will likely be about £3.50s worth. All bought at Tesco and a total of about £7 will. It will hit my macros and be about 2800 calories. No skipping meals, no Aldi in sight.

Rent, if you're seeing an average of £700, so there's also a lot that are lower.

As for clothes, it's not really a monthly expense is it. People aren't suddenly get to November and go, oh no, I've got no clothes.

I'm not disagreeing that it won't be hard, but there's plenty of free things that prevent miserableness...I mean bevvy, talk about a non-essential.

None of that makes the situation okay though, and for many it's going to be really awful buy imo, the person in this hypothetical scenario we're discussing, can and will come through it without major financial meltdown imo.

Unknown user
13 hours ago, jack D and coke said:

That’s too clever for me in my current nick…

Explain? 

You were reminding me of my dad in the 70s 😅

Were you born in a bloody field?

Ok, but 10 minutes, and only 1 bar

Put another jumper on then!

It's blowing a gale in here, shut the bloody door!

Etc.

My dad can smell a thermostat dial being turned in his sleep.

jack D and coke
12 minutes ago, Smithee said:

Etc.

:lol: I getcha…I’d had a couple last night by then..

Im pure turning into my old man harassing her oot the shower after 10-15 mins and constantly on about switching shit off. 

Dad can we put the heating on? Whit?!? It’s like a kiln in here already🤣

Psychedelicropcircle

I looks forward to election 2024 when ****o thatchers privatisation of energy removes Tory scum from power👏

The Mighty Thor
2 hours ago, Taffin said:

You're making it sound like eating off less than a tenner a day is some kind of poverty.

My breakfast was 2 wraps with black pudding and eggs. Was about £2 worth, lunch was cannellini bean salad about £1.50 and dinner I've no idea yet but will likely be about £3.50s worth. All bought at Tesco and a total of about £7 will. It will hit my macros and be about 2800 calories. No skipping meals, no Aldi in sight.

Rent, if you're seeing an average of £700, so there's also a lot that are lower.

As for clothes, it's not really a monthly expense is it. People aren't suddenly get to November and go, oh no, I've got no clothes.

I'm not disagreeing that it won't be hard, but there's plenty of free things that prevent miserableness...I mean bevvy, talk about a non-essential.

None of that makes the situation okay though, and for many it's going to be really awful buy imo, the person in this hypothetical scenario we're discussing, can and will come through it without major financial meltdown imo.

I understand the points you are making and I respect your optimism about what is going to happen. Sadly I don't share it.

What we are facing as a country is not going to be a few uncomfortable months, this is the leading edge of a financial slowdown. Energy prices will continue to rise for at least the next 3 quarters, Inflation the same, interest rates under current fiscal policy will probably get up to 2.75/3% at least.

The recession that brings will be longer and deeper than any major economy thanks to the blind ideology and the last 12 years of ruinous fiscal and geopolitical decisions made by the current government. 

Getting through this winter will only deliver you to the next set of shit circumstances. 

The media / Gov talk about high inflation being temporary and that it will come back down as a way of making things sound like this is a blip. It’s not though. 

The %age figure that is the rate of inflation will come down, no doubt about that - but that’s just a number. Prices that we pay for things are unlikely to come back down, they will just rise slightly more slowly. The massive bite out of folks disposable income is here to stay, cutting your cloth accordingly is here to stay.

Hopefully gas and fuel prices drop again but even if Russia were to withdraw from Ukraine we’ll not be back buying from them anytime soon - so I don’t see how prices will actually drop.

I’m not convinced that people actually understand this is not a blip in prices and that the media are not really getting that message through. 

Doctor FinnBarr
4 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

broadband - £25

Phone £ 25

Gas & Leccy - £300

Should "travel to work" not be included? Mine has increased from about a tenner to £18. Thats a weekly cost too.

2 hours ago, Smithee said:

Etc.

Were you born in a park? Turn that fire oaf. Turn that shite aff(When your watching something on the telly). Do you think I'm the local bank. 

And my maw. I'm telling your Da. :runaway:

Edited by ri Alban

52 minutes ago, skinnybob72 said:

The media / Gov talk about high inflation being temporary and that it will come back down as a way of making things sound like this is a blip. It’s not though. 

The %age figure that is the rate of inflation will come down, no doubt about that - but that’s just a number. Prices that we pay for things are unlikely to come back down, they will just rise slightly more slowly. The massive bite out of folks disposable income is here to stay, cutting your cloth accordingly is here to stay.

Hopefully gas and fuel prices drop again but even if Russia were to withdraw from Ukraine we’ll not be back buying from them anytime soon - so I don’t see how prices will actually drop.

I’m not convinced that people actually understand this is not a blip in prices and that the media are not really getting that message through. 

Freezing the price cap now and either nationalising the domestic energy market or underpinning it with government subsidy would fairly quickly halve inflation,  which in turn would act as a brake on the interest rate.  All they're going to achieve with tinkering about with tax cuts and minimal support is to deprive the real economy of circulating wealth.  No economic growth.  Locked in inflation,  unaffordable housing,  defaulting personal debt,  property values deflating,  businesses closing down.

Unknown user
13 minutes ago, ri Alban said:

Were you born in a park? Turn that fire oaf. Turn that shite aff(When your watching something on the telly). Do you think I'm the local bank. 

And my maw. I'm telling your Da. :runaway:

You'd make a better door than a windae

I’ve said it before I’m sure but I’m absolutely dreading this winter. My gas/elec bill was £74 a month when I moved in to my house around the end of 2019. Now I’m looking at a bill of around £250+ Probably nearer £300. 

My gas has barley been used since March (zero heating) just the gas hob for cooking dinner and everything is off at the wall apart from when I need it and I’m in credit a measly £130. DD is £144 a month currently. Im seriously contemplating moving my daughter into my room over winter to keep the heating bill down which I find pretty depressing and degrading that it has come to this.

Folk a lot worse off than me too…. Bleak. 

The Real Maroonblood
44 minutes ago, Irufushi said:

I’ve said it before I’m sure but I’m absolutely dreading this winter. My gas/elec bill was £74 a month when I moved in to my house around the end of 2019. Now I’m looking at a bill of around £250+ Probably nearer £300. 

My gas has barley been used since March (zero heating) just the gas hob for cooking dinner and everything is off at the wall apart from when I need it and I’m in credit a measly £130. DD is £144 a month currently. Im seriously contemplating moving my daughter into my room over winter to keep the heating bill down which I find pretty depressing and degrading that it has come to this.

Depressing stuff.

indianajones
1 hour ago, Irufushi said:

Nothing to feel ashamed about lrufushi. Being energy savvy is very, very sensible just now. 

Criminal they are making everyone feel like this. Folk are really going to struggle. 

16 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Depressing stuff.

Certainly is. To an extent we have all either got used to or have never experienced life without central heating. I was primary school age when we eventually got central heating. It was linked to a coal fire meaning that there was no heat until the fire was lit in the morning. In the winter you always woke up to a freezing house and it was not uncommon to have ice on the inside of the house window panes - no double glazing in those days. Bedrooms were for sleeping in only and the family lived in the lounge and not spread around the house. Most people now would find this intolerable; I wouldn't want it now, I don't want to go back to living in a cold house, but at the time we just lived with it quite happily. 

The Real Maroonblood
27 minutes ago, henryheart said:

Certainly is. To an extent we have all either got used to or have never experienced life without central heating. I was primary school age when we eventually got central heating. It was linked to a coal fire meaning that there was no heat until the fire was lit in the morning. In the winter you always woke up to a freezing house and it was not uncommon to have ice on the inside of the house window panes - no double glazing in those days. Bedrooms were for sleeping in only and the family lived in the lounge and not spread around the house. Most people now would find this intolerable; I wouldn't want it now, I don't want to go back to living in a cold house, but at the time we just lived with it quite happily. 

My self and the kids can relate to quite a lot of that.

I’m from the generation that had outside toilets but that’s for another thread.

Fortunately I’m in the position I can deal with today’s farce but I’m in the minority.

1 hour ago, henryheart said:

That’s how I remember it too.  And no such thing as mobile phone bills, Sky Sports & Netflix, Broadband, Deliveroo pizzas, Prague for a stag weekend, bottled water (WTF?) and frothy coffee at £3 a pop on the way to work.

Edited by FWJ

6 hours ago, henryheart said:

Certainly is. To an extent we have all either got used to or have never experienced life without central heating. I was primary school age when we eventually got central heating. It was linked to a coal fire meaning that there was no heat until the fire was lit in the morning. In the winter you always woke up to a freezing house and it was not uncommon to have ice on the inside of the house window panes - no double glazing in those days. Bedrooms were for sleeping in only and the family lived in the lounge and not spread around the house. Most people now would find this intolerable; I wouldn't want it now, I don't want to go back to living in a cold house, *but at the time we just lived with it quite happily. 

* I think you're remembering incorrectly. 

5 hours ago, ri Alban said:

How you know what my family and I felt about in the lack of central heating back in the 1950s and 60s is beyond me. 

36 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Anyhoo, the good news keeps rolling in.....

I fully expect that the JJ household will be in fuel poverty in October, never mind January.

The Mighty Thor
8 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Global Britain but.  Britain is great,  but if you live here.. not so much.

If you're availing yourself of the pound notes from the British public purse then Britain is F'ing awesome. 

3 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

If you're availing yourself of the pound notes from the British public purse then Britain is F'ing awesome. 

Hell yeah.  If you can get yourself into a position where you can become a Tory Party donor then the vault's left unguarded and the keys are left in the lock mate.  Mind and switch off the lights but.

15 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

The NHS are now warning of a 'public health emergency' if action is not taken on energy bills.

https://news.sky.com/story/cost-of-living-uk-facing-humanitarian-crisis-if-action-not-taken-on-energy-bills-nhs-chiefs-warn-12676286

Yeah well,  the NHS has clearly been taken over by socialist,  woke,  militant remainers.  We'll review it's remit / sell it off.

11 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Yeah well,  the NHS has clearly been taken over by socialist,  woke,  militant remainers.  We'll review it's remit / sell it off.

WTF?

45 minutes ago, doctor jambo said:

Wait until we go on strike- see what they make of them biscuits .

Communist's.

Mrs JJ will be a Marxist Leninist.  In saying that she's always wanted to go to Russia, mmmmmm interesting.

Footballfirst

The announcement of the October price cap is due next Friday. Looking at the forecasts for future rises, it is seriously scary.

Energy consultancy, Auxilione, has predicted the cap will be set at £3,576 per year for the average household. The cap is currently £1,971.

Auxilone has also forecast that based on Thursday’s gas prices, the price cap will hit £4,704 next January and £5,856 in April.

WorldChampions1902
3 minutes ago, Footballfirst said:

The announcement of the October price cap is due next Friday. Looking at the forecasts for future rises, it is seriously scary.

Energy consultancy, Auxilione, has predicted the cap will be set at £3,576 per year for the average household. The cap is currently £1,971.

Auxilone has also forecast that based on Thursday’s gas prices, the price cap will hit £4,704 next January and £5,856 in April.

Wow. April figure now projected to be £5856 ? A few more days of wild price fluctuations on the energy markets will comfortably see us through the £6000 mark. Which will consequently smash the 45million people in fuel poverty mark, expected this winter. And some people think the government shouldn’t be intervening?

11 hours ago, ri Alban said:

When I was growing up I remember some families all sleeping in their living room and not using their bedrooms in winter. Everything thrown into coal fire including tattie peelings to save money. Itchy blankets and coats to keep warm, bucket raking for wood and for anything else that could burn. Just saying.

20 minutes ago, Wonfiveone said:

When I was growing up I remember some families all sleeping in their living room and not using their bedrooms in winter. Everything thrown into coal fire including tattie peelings to save money. Itchy blankets and coats to keep warm, bucket raking for wood and for anything else that could burn. Just saying.

It wasn't something you'd like to re-enact , tho, is it. Just saying 🤠

6 hours ago, henryheart said:

How you know what my family and I felt about in the lack of central heating back in the 1950s and 60s is beyond me. 

You enjoyed it, well I doff my cap to you, bud.  I know differently going by my family. But I suppose everyone was much closer in class back then. 👍. And they just had to get on with, much more durable, but also less safe. 

What I meant was, you wouldn't like to put your family thro it now. Anyway, good luck to all, it's gonnae get difficult for 75% of the country, really difficult. Suicidal difficult for some and the Government choses to do nothing for the majority.

Edited by ri Alban