energy prices

Masonic

It's like something dreamed up by the writer of some dystopian novel.  People being granted or denied heating credits on the whim of a government agent.  

Doctors prescribing the wherewithal to have a bit more heat or to cook some extra meals.  Good grief.

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Jambo-Jimbo

• Unknown user

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

16 hours ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

The Standing Charge is a bloody con.

As is the 'line rental' on your landline, but we don't have choice until 5G come here, then my landline will be history.

32 minutes ago, henryheart said:

You can reduce your gas heating  bill possibly by altering the controls on your boiler. There will be a dial or equivalent that shows a radiator image. This controls the water temperature that runs through the radiators. For an effective system this only needs to be at 55 degrees remembering that when the heating kicks in is controlled by the thermostat that operates by room temperature, which you can also control. The dial may have numbers rather than temperature levels on it - if you check the manual it will show what these equate to. It may be that the water temperature is set at something silly like 75 degrees, and if so them simply reset to a lower temperature and you can save maybe 10-15%.

The other check is the hot water tap temperature. If you run hot water then add cold because it is too hot, then the temperature level on the boiler is set to high.  Why pay to heat water to too high a temperature, which it is if you have to mix cold water with it?  As with the radiator control, you turn the dial down to the appropriate temperature. This best result is by trial and error and you may need to do it a few times to get it right. This dial has a tap image next to or on it. 

Hope this helps.      

Thanks - that’s very useful advice 👍

The Real Maroonblood
20 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

As is the 'line rental' on your landline, but we don't have choice until 5G come here, then my landline will be history.

I forgot about the landline.

John Gentleman
52 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It's like something dreamed up by the writer of some dystopian novel.  People being granted or denied heating credits on the whim of a government agent.  

Doctors prescribing the wherewithal to have a bit more heat or to cook some extra meals.  Good grief.

That's where we're heading though. The bills for 250 years of fossil fuel gluttony are now arriving in our mail.

4 hours ago, graygo said:

ri Alban:. What do you think you would get if you sold your house?

FinnBarr Saunders: About 6 months.

©Billy Connolly 

Edit:. I really need to read to the end of a thread before posting.

🤣

39 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Predicted to hit £5800 in April 23….

Gas has apparently fell in price for 65 days in a row too. 

I wish it had, but...

Screenshot (15).png

It gets worse week by week. Genuinely don't know how some people are going to afford the utility costs over winter and into the spring. 

2 hours ago, henryheart said:

You can reduce your gas heating  bill possibly by altering the controls on your boiler. There will be a dial or equivalent that shows a radiator image. This controls the water temperature that runs through the radiators. For an effective system this only needs to be at 55 degrees remembering that when the heating kicks in is controlled by the thermostat that operates by room temperature, which you can also control. The dial may have numbers rather than temperature levels on it - if you check the manual it will show what these equate to. It may be that the water temperature is set at something silly like 75 degrees, and if so them simply reset to a lower temperature and you can save maybe 10-15%.

The other check is the hot water tap temperature. If you run hot water then add cold because it is too hot, then the temperature level on the boiler is set to high.  Why pay to heat water to too high a temperature, which it is if you have to mix cold water with it?  As with the radiator control, you turn the dial down to the appropriate temperature. This best result is by trial and error and you may need to do it a few times to get it right. This dial has a tap image next to or on it. 

Hope this helps.      

Just checked the temps on my boiler, tap was at 60 degrees (now at 55) and radiators were at 75 degrees (now at 70) but that might go down a bit more to something like 65 or 66.  Of course I'll just happen to forget to tell Mrs JJ, not that she'll notice anyway I wouldn't think.

Thanks for the info, it's been a great help.

The Real Maroonblood
14 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Just checked the temps on my boiler, tap was at 60 degrees (now at 55) and radiators were at 75 degrees (now at 70) but that might go down a bit more to something like 65 or 66.  Of course I'll just happen to forget to tell Mrs JJ, not that she'll notice anyway I wouldn't think.

Thanks for the info, it's been a great help.

Keep your shorts on.

5 minutes ago, The Real Maroonblood said:

Keep your shorts on.

Tbh I hadn't even looked at it before @henryheartpost, it's either been at that since the day it was installed or get's set at that during it's yearly service, but I'll be watching the temps from now on, and if I can get them lower without her noticing, I'll fecking do it.

Just checked mine and it seems I can adjust both settings quoted with a dial no probs, unless I've misunderstood Henry's description/instructions.

Good info to know, though mine barely goes on full stop.

The Real Maroonblood
5 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Tbh I hadn't even looked at it before @henryheartpost, it's either been at that since the day it was installed or get's set at that during it's yearly service, but I'll be watching the temps from now on, and if I can get them lower without her noticing, I'll fecking do it.

👍

WorldChampions1902
5 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

That’s a sobering read. But at least Clown-shoes “got all the big calls right”, which will help the cultists cope with their poverty.

manaliveits105

I see Elsie Mcselfie is trying to pin herself to the poor and hard up by holding a “summit” ( its really not dear) to speak to energy companies and action groups whilst blaming the tories for everything basically . Could someone tell her and the other hard of thinking that no measures will be announced until the new Prime Minister and cabinet are in place in the real government - it’s really not hard to understand unless you are a megalomaniac attention seeker like our FM 

15 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

I see Elsie Mcselfie is trying to pin herself to the poor and hard up by holding a “summit” ( its really not dear) to speak to energy companies and action groups whilst blaming the tories for everything basically . Could someone tell her and the other hard of thinking that no measures will be announced until the new Prime Minister and cabinet are in place in the real government - it’s really not hard to understand unless you are a megalomaniac attention seeker like our FM 

:laugh:

3 hours ago, ArcticJambo said:

Just checked mine and it seems I can adjust both settings quoted with a dial no probs, unless I've misunderstood Henry's description/instructions.

Good info to know, though mine barely goes on full stop.

You have it right. You simply turn the dials to the appropriate setting. 

8 hours ago, henryheart said:

Hope this helps.      

The info about radiator heat is wrong here.  Have the radiator temp as high as can go and the thermostat will turn off heating quicker as temp reacher sooner.  If radiators set lower heating constantly runs.  

Correct info about hot water though.  

2 hours ago, manaliveits105 said:

Would you rather everyone sits and does nothing?  It's about applying justifiable pressure.  

And less of the elsie pish please, makes you sound about 13.  

The Real Maroonblood
16 minutes ago, cannonfoda said:

Would you rather everyone sits and does nothing?  It's about applying justifiable pressure.  

13 is the poster’s IQ.

Unknown user
28 minutes ago, cannonfoda said:

He's our special little guy

211uwpk.gif

Just now, hughesie27 said:

£500 a month from April. Be more than most Mortgages come June.

And the BoE will have little choice but to bump the interest rate up again.  The mortgage edges ahead again... 

2 minutes ago, Victorian said:

And the BoE will have little choice but to bump the interest rate up again.  The mortgage edges ahead again... 

Ah, but only for 3 months until OFGEM bumps up the price cap yet again and overtakes the mortgages.  :laugh:

The Mighty Thor
11 minutes ago, Victorian said:

The stagflation spiral.

Aye but it's wages driving inflation 😄

4 minutes ago, Jambo-Jimbo said:

Ah, but only for 3 months until OFGEM bumps up the price cap yet again and overtakes the mortgages.  :laugh:

Meantime,  away from the Teletubbies government,  the solution continues to be to put a fire break on both by either nationalising the energy market or to subsidise the end user price + pay for it by a radical resettlement of the portfolio of taxes.

2 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

The stagflation spiral.

Aye but it's wages driving inflation 😄

Wages don't help tbf.  But they do need to increase.  All part of the spiral.

1 hour ago, cannonfoda said:

The info about radiator heat is wrong here.  Have the radiator temp as high as can go and the thermostat will turn off heating quicker as temp reacher sooner.  If radiators set lower heating constantly runs.  

Correct info about hot water though.  

I'm sorry to have to correct you, but the information I provided is correct. I've found this article to help explain in more detail.

https://www.theheatinghub.co.uk/articles/turn-down-the-boiler-flow-temperature#:~:text=The correct temperature setting for heating on a,this can be too low for older properties.

Hope this helps.

I am working full time and also have a second income stream. Wife has also gone back to full time employment. Compared to a couple of years ago we are earning a significant amount more yet it doesn’t feel like sometimes. We aren’t struggling like many however. 

Our dream of getting a mortgage and buying our own property any time soon is doubtful. 

WorldChampions1902
1 hour ago, AlimOzturk said:

I am working full time and also have a second income stream. Wife has also gone back to full time employment. Compared to a couple of years ago we are earning a significant amount more yet it doesn’t feel like sometimes. We aren’t struggling like many however. 

Our dream of getting a mortgage and buying our own property any time soon is doubtful. 

Keep plugging away bud. You are doing everything right and deserve to at least to be able to buy your own home.

That thing you do

BofE - inflation will top out at 8% Q1 2023

BofE- actually it will be 11%

BofE- we mean 13% and a 12 month recession through 2023

Yesterday I read 18% April 2023, whole year recession and energy bills will hit £5k

What is clear is this disaster wont be fixed any time soon and it feels like stagflation/hyperinflation is here and i fear we are going to see a 1929 style depression.

Sri Lanka collapsed, Pskistan is as well, China looks on the very of catastrophe and contagion from that will spread.

Europe is a mess.

Hell of a mess the world is in and unlikely to be out of it any time soon.

The Mighty Thor
43 minutes ago, That thing you do said:

Yesterday I read 18% April 2023, whole year recession and energy bills will hit £5k

What is clear is this disaster wont be fixed any time soon and it feels like stagflation/hyperinflation is here and i fear we are going to see a 1929 style depression.

Sri Lanka collapsed, Pskistan is as well, China looks on the very of catastrophe and contagion from that will spread.

Europe is a mess.

Don't forget that the Government had to sneak out the news quietly yesterday that the UK economy took an even bigger hit during the Pandemic and actually shrank by 1.7% more than they originally said in 2020. 

So any forecasts about growth or any other measure are all out by a minimum of 1.7% because they couldn't get their story straight to begin with.

That thing you do
2 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Don't forget that the Government had to sneak out the news quietly yesterday that the UK economy took an even bigger hit during the Pandemic and actually shrank by 1.7% more than they originally said in 2020. 

So any forecasts about growth or any other measure are all out by a minimum of 1.7% because they couldn't get their story straight to begin with.

Not like this UK gov to be dishonest/sneaky or rees-smug about things!

I bet Brexit exacerbates all of this, Id love to see by how much.

12 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Also don't forget that the current trajectory appears to be that they want to make fiscal decisions without anyone being allowed to publish an independent analysis (OBR),  and that they also have an eye on making their own monetary decisions.  

We're supposed to have faith that they know what they're doing and will do things on an apolitical basis.  

Edited by Victorian

The Mighty Thor
6 minutes ago, Victorian said:

Also don't forget that the current trajectory appears to be that they want to make fiscal decisions without anyone being allowed to publish an independent analysis (OBR),  and that they also have an eye on making their own monetary decisions.  

We're supposed to have faith that they know what they're doing and will do things on an apolitical basis.  

As ever with this Junta you only have to ask the most basic question;

'who stands to benefit from this?'

The answer will of course be 'not the British people'

3 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

As ever with this Junta you only have to ask the most basic question;

'who stands to benefit from this?'

The answer will of course be 'not the British people'

The abolition of safeguards,  competent oversight,  scrutiny.

When it goes tits up... just blame treasury orthodoxy.

Malinga the Swinga
1 hour ago, That thing you do said:

Europe is a mess.

Yet according to the SNP cultists, it is all Westminster's fault and independence would bring milk and honey to all.

2 hours ago, That thing you do said:

Europe is a mess.

That's grim reading but it seems far more a reality than any shit governments pedal.

It's like we are at the begining of where some dystopian sci - fi movie is set.Worlds about to come crumbling down.****ing bleak where are we going to be in 5 or 10 years.

5 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

It's like we are at the begining of where some dystopian sci - fi movie is set.Worlds about to come crumbling down.****ing bleak where are we going to be in 5 or 10 years.

It will be in 100 years.  Maybe 50.  Maybe it's all happening much sooner than anyone expected.  :(

JudyJudyJudy
1 hour ago, That thing you do said:

Not like this UK gov to be dishonest/sneaky or rees-smug about things!

I bet Brexit exacerbates all of this, Id love to see by how much.

So countless lockdowns had no impact on the economy ? 

3 minutes ago, JudyJudyJudy said:

So countless lockdowns had no impact on the economy ? 

It did, but exacerbates is the key word here, J !

manaliveits105
1 hour ago, Malinga the Swinga said:

Yet according to the SNP cultists, it is all Westminster's fault and independence would bring milk and honey to all.

apart from honest John Swinney who said we would face 10 years of austerity with indy - on top of the cost of living crisis  - braw where do I sign 

The Mighty Thor
2 minutes ago, manaliveits105 said:

apart from honest John Swinney who said we would face 10 years of austerity with indy - on top of the cost of living crisis  - braw where do I sign 

You're already signed up and in fact are trumpeting a government that has given us 12 years of austerity, real terms wage cuts and now an entirely manufactured cost of living crisis.

You've already crayoned your X