energy prices

Masonic

jack D and coke
5 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

Due to Covid and the fallout from that plus,  schhh do not mention it but Brexit as well lots of small businesses have already reduced their opening hours or are working reduced hours over a week.  No staff.  Add into that the increased cost of utilities then either many more will reduce their opening times or some will probably just close.  Add into that the huge number of households going into fuel poverty status.

I am now more and more thinking that the Government cannot let that happen, it is just not feasible to run an economy that way.  My radar is thinking that the Tories will be forced into to doing something radical.  Not because the politicians want to, they are all just sound bites.  The policy makers will present them with options that partly resolve this. 

My guess is, even though it is a Labour policy I think the Tories will freeze the price cap at a reasonable level.  Call me hopeful but the risk of doing a series of little, meaningless things will just not work.  And after all votes will be at stake here and the thought of losing the next GE will be looming over all the Tory MP's.

Then they can say look what we did for you.  Furlough during Covid and cut price utilities.  Vote winning.

Well I waited to hear what was said at that Perth hustings tonight and appears they’re going to let the people take the hit😕

• Replies 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ri Alban

• Jambo-Jimbo

• Unknown user

• Victorian

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

joondalupjambo
6 minutes ago, jack D and coke said:

Well I waited to hear what was said at that Perth hustings tonight and appears they’re going to let the people take the hit😕

Don't listen too much into that because it is all pantomime stuff aimed at the party members, all sound bites just to try to get elected.  Once in the policy makers and the folk in the dimly lit rooms will tell the PM what to do and how best to win votes.  My faith is maybe a step too far right enough but we can but hope.

32 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Hands up. I didn't check the account. It's not Ken Clarke former Tory MP.

I've made a right royal of it.

:facepalm:

Apologies to all. I'll check the sources in future. 

We've all done it, nothing to apologize for.

The Mighty Thor

Quite enjoyed seeing the 'Tory faithful (scotchland branch office division) scrub up and turn out in Perth. 

It was like watching an Attenborough documentary on a dying species. I was quite emotional that this might be the last time we see them in such numbers. 

1 hour ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Schoolboy error though. 

Still. My point stands about the UK being barstewards regardless!!!

dobmisterdobster
2 hours ago, Dazo said:

Something made up to make the UK look bad ? No way. 😂

You could make up any nonsense on twitter. As long as it's "UK Bad" then it will go viral.

Geoff Kilpatrick
3 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Hands up. I didn't check the account. It's not Ken Clarke former Tory MP.

I've made a right royal of it.

:facepalm:

Apologies to all. I'll check the sources in future. 

:rofl:

9 hours ago, The Mighty Thor said:

With such plentiful source material there's seldom a need fir nade up stuff. 

I've had a shocker. 

Exactly my point but We’ve all been there Thor. Your keenness got ahead of you there. 😊

joondalupjambo
12 minutes ago, hughesie27 said:

Inflation now 10.1%

We will all just to "graft" harder then.

The Mighty Thor
1 hour ago, Dazo said:

Exactly my point but We’ve all been there Thor. Your keenness got ahead of you there. 😊

I'll strive to improve.

Alternatively I could go 'full nationalist' (copyright MSM) and shout Tory Scum all day. 

Konrad von Carstein
13 hours ago, dobmisterdobster said:

You could make up any nonsense on twitter. As long as it's "UK Bad" then it will go viral.

Or indeed "SNP bad"...:whistling:

Dagger Is Back
5 hours ago, joondalupjambo said:

We will all just to "graft" harder then.

I'm just going to jolly well get out there and get a better paid job. Now where's my bicycle?

30 minutes ago, Dagger Is Back said:

I'm just going to jolly well get out there and get a better paid job. Now where's my bicycle?

As long as it’s grafting you will do well.😊

joondalupjambo
1 hour ago, Dagger Is Back said:

That's the attitude, Liz will be very happy you are following her recommended pathway to a better life😀😀

16 hours ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Do we think they will fall in the future or is this set to rise forever 

We will have a new normal as they like to say so it won't be as high as October and January prices but will probably end up somewhere between now's prices and October.

In short we will be paying a fortune forever and then leads to everything being more expensive forever.

The Mighty Thor
3 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

Going to do wonders for carbon neutral as no ****er is going to be able to heat or power their house 

Sadly crematoria are not carbon friendly and they'll be busy as feck processing the old and poor this winter. 

2 minutes ago, The Mighty Thor said:

Sadly crematoria are not carbon friendly and they'll be busy as feck processing the old and poor this winter. 

It's ****ing horrendous meanwhile our leaders are off sunning it on holiday while the other two ain't got a ****ing clue what to do as they fight out their leadership battle 

The Mighty Thor
Just now, vegas-voss said:

It's ****ing horrendous meanwhile our leaders are off sunning it on holiday while the other two ain't got a ****ing clue what to do as they fight out their leadership battle 

To be fair, neither of the other two will have a ****ing clue what to do when the leadership battle is decided. 

Shooter McGavin

Dread to think how many elderly people, who would have otherwise managed under normal circumstances, will now die this winter.

The Mighty Thor
3 minutes ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Dread to think how many elderly people, who would have otherwise managed under normal circumstances, will now die this winter.

They need to graft a bit more, or something....

The Mighty Thor
1 minute ago, Jeff said:

Boris is just a bit of a cheeky chappy 

Oh no that's not him. He wants the bodies piled high does Spaffer. 

Just now, The Mighty Thor said:

Oh no that's not him. He wants the bodies piled high does Spaffer. 

In years to come he will be compared to Tony Blair. Reckless killers

The Mighty Thor
1 minute ago, Jeff said:

In years to come he will be compared to Tony Blair. Reckless killers

In fairness to Tony Blair, he wasn't killing his own citizens*

* apart from the poor buggers dispatched round the world to fight his proxy war. 

How are tax cuts and NI reductions going to help people that are either not in work or are in work but below the threshold and not paying these taxes anyways?

Riddle me this.

12 minutes ago, Cade said:

How are tax cuts and NI reductions going to help people that are either not in work or are in work but below the threshold and not paying these taxes anyways?

Riddle me this.

It's also scary how many folk are oblivious to what's coming up.My sister in-law seems to think everything will be alright for her as she pays £80 a month ( just the gas ) the now but has not had any heating on at all since April and thinks she will only be about £50 a month more when the heating goes on in the winter.

I say alright as if £130 a month for is alright for a single parent is ok.

The Mighty Thor
14 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

It's also scary how many folk are oblivious to what's coming up.

This. 

Particularly the two halfwits vying to be the next criminal in chief. 

19 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

It's also scary how many folk are oblivious to what's coming up.My sister in-law seems to think everything will be alright for her as she pays £80 a month ( just the gas ) the now but has not had any heating on at all since April and thinks she will only be about £50 a month more when the heating goes on in the winter.

Absolutely.

Sky News carried out a survey and only 8% of those asked, roughly knew how much the energy price rise will be come October, meaning some 92% either didn't have a clue or thought that prices would come down (12%).

49 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

I genuinely don’t know how, it is literally all the main media news outlets talk about. I don’t use them but I’d imagine Facebook and twitter is covered by it also. 

26 minutes ago, Dazo said:

I genuinely don’t know how, it is literally all the main media news outlets talk about. I don’t use them but I’d imagine Facebook and twitter is covered by it also. 

I know they see the news and the headlines but it's like they just can't see how much it's going to hit home until well it hits home.

Christine Farnish, a non-executive Director on OFGEM's board, has resigned, saying that the regulator is working too much for the interests of business and not enough in the interests of consumers.

:scenes:

The Mighty Thor
6 minutes ago, Cade said:

Christine Farnish, a non-executive Director on OFGEM's board, has resigned, saying that the regulator is working too much for the interests of business and not enough in the interests of consumers.

:scenes:

:interehjrling:

10 minutes ago, vegas-voss said:

I know they see the news and the headlines but it's like they just can't see how much it's going to hit home until well it hits home.

There's a lot of folks like that, where they seem to think things won't affect them, and then are completely shocked when the shit lands on them as well.

17 minutes ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Why couldn't we just build some more nuclear power stations here?

UK Government has already approved 8 new nuclear power plants before 2030.

They're expensive as feck.

Hinkley C is way behind schedule (2+ years) and way over budget (+50%) and it's still not going to come online until 2017.

It's also owned and operated by the French EDF and the Chinese.

The Mighty Thor
22 minutes ago, Cade said:

UK Government has already approved 8 new nuclear power plants before 2030.

They're expensive as feck.

Hinkley C is way behind schedule (2+ years) and way over budget (+50%) and it's still not going to come online until 2017.

It's also owned and operated by the French EDF and the Chinese.

There's also a few safety issues with the EPR design reactors being used in Hinckley in a plant in Guangdong.  

3 hours ago, Cade said:

Riddle me this.

She read a dusty,  obsolete volume of the Tory Cuntery bible and it told her that the tax cuts will lead to growth which leads to wealth creation and lower inflation.  It's all lies,  dogma,  ideology and bollocks.

Malinga the Swinga
3 hours ago, Shooter McGavin said:

Dread to think how many elderly people, who would have otherwise managed under normal circumstances, will now die this winter..

Edited by Malinga the Swinga

52 minutes ago, Smoked-Glass said:

Why couldn't we just build some more nuclear power stations here?

Succesive governments kicking the can down the road, the anti-nuclear lobby and the desire to put all our eggs in the renewables basket, add to that the cost and that they take ages to build and get up to operation.

I heard something on the TV, that Nick Clegg had said in 2010 that they could start to build new nuclear power stations and not one would be operational by 2021 or something along those lines.

It's a waiting game.  Even the Tory gangsters know that eventually more and more people will wake up,  notice their lack of money or supporter idiots will turn against them.  Eventually this will fall into the lap of Labour or whoever offers an affordable solution and resultant resettlement of the spectrum of taxation.  The Tories will be out on their arse or they'll need to actually tackle the cause properly.  Either will happen.

doctor jambo
15 minutes ago, Victorian said:

It's a waiting game.  Even the Tory gangsters know that eventually more and more people will wake up,  notice their lack of money or supporter idiots will turn against them.  Eventually this will fall into the lap of Labour or whoever offers an affordable solution and resultant resettlement of the spectrum of taxation.  The Tories will be out on their arse or they'll need to actually tackle the cause properly.  Either will happen.

Quite.

pragmatism has to win.

Something must be done.

there are not many lower/ middle classes who can absorb £400-500 per month bills for power .

Its utterly insane.

That’s a huge part of the electorate.

1 minute ago, doctor jambo said:

Quite.

pragmatism has to win.

Something must be done.

there are not many lower/ middle classes who can absorb £400-500 per month bills for power .

Its utterly insane.

That’s a huge part of the electorate.

The Tories who aren't myopic imbeciles or rancid ladder climbers must be shitting themselves.  It's either being turfed out or a massive departure from current ideology.  But they are adept at reinvention.  This time it really will need to be a proper reinvention.